Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

State of the O-line

Lol, so if Brooks himself didn't fully understand it, what makes you think BoB would've?

Did Brooks figure it out on his own in Philly? Did the doctors figure it out? Was their HC instrumental in finding the root cause in anyway?

I'm asking because I don't know.

Regardless, the man said he wasn't happy in Houston & I've been led to believe BO'b was part of that. Yes it fits my narrative. No, I have no proof.

Did Brooks figure it out on his own in Philly? Did the doctors figure it out? Was their HC instrumental in finding the root cause in anyway?

Regardless, the man said he wasn't happy in Houston & I've been led to believe BO'b was part of that. Yes it fits my narrative. No, I have no proof.

Listen for yourself. He states towards the end, he was trying to handle it himself & realized he couldn't. That was clearly when he was with us. So i read it as him figuring it out by himself with the help of his mom before he left here. I think the philly docs only came in after he was already getting help. They probably recommended him a good therapist.

Listen for yourself. He states towards the end, he was trying to handle it himself & realized he couldn't. That was clearly when he was with us. So i read it as him figuring it out by himself with the help of his mom before he left here. I think the philly docs only came in after he was already getting help. They probably recommended him a good therapist.

I had severe anxiety issues after a car wreck . I was coaching Little league baseball when I realized something was really wrong . I couldn't control my pulse and it go through the roof . I would sweat a ton and I thought I was going to have a heart attack . Like Him , I realized there was nothing I could do on my own . It's a huge adrenaline rush except it doesn't go outward , it goes inward two fold .

Brandon's mistake , if it's a mistake cause I know , was denial . The think Brandon absolutely didn't need was tension . Bill was the object of Brook's displaced anger and I have one of those too .

HC's aren't DR.'s

I had severe anxiety issues after a car wreck . I was coaching Little league baseball when I realized something was really wrong . I couldn't control my pulse and it go through the roof . I would sweat a ton and I thought I was going to have a heart attack . Like Him , I realized there was nothing I could do on my own . It's a huge adrenaline rush except it doesn't go outward , it goes inward two fold .

Brandon's mistake , if it's a mistake cause I know , was denial . The think Brandon absolutely didn't need was tension . Bill was the object of Brook's displaced anger and I have one of those too .

My anxiety issues mirror Brooks’ almost to a T. Kept it largely under control when i was younger not really knowing or understanding exactly what it was. But a turbulent personal life brought on by divorce and work sent me over the edge precisely at a time when i was trying to reduce my stress..On vacation in Vegas. I started having uncontrollable panic attacks at night. Then a vicious cycle developed over the next few days where i would have other panic attacks worrying about the next panic attack i might have. It wasn't until i went to see a therapist when i got back home & made some serious lifestyle changes that i was able to get my anxiety back under control.

That only happened b/c i realized I could no longer continue to live in denial about what was going on with me.

Watched a little of that eagles jags game last night..Dillard look like he had a little trouble last night..Played just ok.

I think Dillard is in for a rude awakening once the season starts

I think Dillard is in for a rude awakening once the season starts

Not so much Dillard as the people saying that he is the greatest thing to happen at the tackle position in the last 10 years. Dillard I think knows he has a lot to learn, the Eagles know he has a lot to learn which is why they are letting him sit for a year behind their already good LT, even the reporters for the Eagles know he has a lot to learn which is why they are saying he looks good but that he's not going up against the NFL elite yet. It seems to only be some people on here that don't get it.

Is that just wishful thinking that we didn't screw-up by passing on Dillard or have you got a more logical explanation ?

As has been pointed out multiple times Dillard has never had to run block in any of his college games. The system he was in is a complete pure air raid and those do not translate well to the NFL. Hell the first time he ever took a three point stance was the Eagles training camp. This means he is missing fundamental skills that a LT needs to have. Now those can be taught but you have to have time to do that and the Texans do not have that kind of time or, frankly, an Oline coach I would trust to do it. On the Eagles Dillard not only has a better coach but the Eagles have a starting LT and can afford to just let Dillard ride the bench for a year, barring injury. In other words they drafted him for depth not need.

Now you take Howard and while he MAY not have as high a ceiling as Dillard he also will require less overall coaching and for him its primarily learning to adjust to the speed and skill level of the NFL. So he is less reliant on his coach actually coaching him and can learn more just from getting reps and being lined up across from guys like Watt. We drafted Howard because we needed someone that could start right off the bat and at least be decent.

When you look at the two in a vacuum I can understand why some think Dillard is so much better but you can't look at them in a vacuum you have to have context. Given the situation the Eagles are in and the situation the Texans are in Dillard was the better pick for the Eagles and Howard for the Texans.

All that being said I wouldn't have taken either of them in the first round.

Is that just wishful thinking that we didn't screw-up by passing on Dillard or have you got a more logical explanation ?

How many highly drafted rookie LT's have come out recently that have struggled the last few years? And Dillard wasn't highly drafted...

How does he compare to Fisher/Joeckel/Matthews and others to you?

I can't remember when I've so anticipated and looked forward to a preseason/exhibition game as I am with tomorrow nights game here vs. Detroit ?
I'm just excited about the opportunity for somebody to step up and play some LT for us. I dunno maybe between this Roderick Johnson and top pick Tytus Howard
maybe we see encouraging line play tomorrow night ? I'm hoping.
It's not gonna be Kalil and if he's the best we've got we are in trouble and if poor Deshawn Watson is gonna have to do a whole of run & duck in 2019
it's gonna be a really long year including very risky for our young QB.
Aron Wilson & McClain have a pretty good podcast episode on the Chronicle website which goes into quite a bit of detail on our Oline which you might want to check out.

For the record, i think he'll be fine..very good actually. I just don't think he's that far ahead of Howard. Howard's main issue is his technique is bad/sloppy. Some of that has to do with the small school thing & the coaching he may/may not have recieved there, some of that is just him learning how to play o-line. No matter what ya'll may think of Devlin, his NFL tutelage probably is still an upgrade over what he likely had at SAS. More time just learning the ins/outs of playing o-line period will enable him to tighten alot up & i think he'll be just fine.

I’ve lost track how many times people say Texans passed on Dillard when in fact he was taken off the board before Texans selection. What’s obvious is Texans were/are in the market for a LT. It wasn’t a dynamic free agent class. Either by trade or through the draft are best options. Texans used two of their first three picks on College tackles. But this is where draft evaluations come into play and thus failure when it comes to addressing LT. I’m not ruling out Howard developing into Watson’s blind side protector, but left guard also a huge need and strength of his.

Best option still out there is a trade for Trent Williams although his strong character and opinions probably scare off McNair (see Duane Brown) which is why the proposed trade to Miami for Laremy Tunsil might be best option now. Believe he is more in mold of developing a great young, cohesive OL, next to Howard could become best left side in the game from one of if not the worst.

I can't remember when I've so anticipated and looked forward to a preseason/exhibition game as I am with tomorrow nights game here vs. Detroit ?
I'm just excited about the opportunity for somebody to step up and play some LT for us. I dunno maybe between this Roderick Johnson and top pick Tytus Howard
maybe we see encouraging line play tomorrow night ? I'm hoping.
It's not gonna be Kalil and if he's the best we've got we are in trouble and if poor Deshawn Watson is gonna have to do a whole of run & duck in 2019
it's gonna be a really long year including very risky for our young QB.
Aron Wilson & McClain have a pretty good podcast episode on the Chronicle website which goes into quite a bit of detail on our Oline which you might want to check out.

Game 2 of pre-season has always been pretty meh to me. Starters wont play more than 2 series. Hard to evaluate anyone, much less OL shuffling positions

I’ve lost track how many times people say Texans passed on Dillard when in fact he was taken off the board before Texans selection. What’s obvious is Texans were/are in the market for a LT. It wasn’t a dynamic free agent class. Either by trade or through the draft are best options. Texans used two of their first three picks on College tackles. But this is where draft evaluations come into play and thus failure when it comes to addressing LT. I’m not ruling out Howard developing into Watson’s blind side protector, but left guard also a huge need and strength of his.

Best option still out there is a trade for Trent Williams although his strong character and opinions probably scare off McNair (see Duane Brown) which is why the proposed trade to Miami for Laremy Tunsil might be best option now. Believe he is more in mold of developing a great young, cohesive OL, next to Howard could become best left side in the game from one of if not the worst.

Texans could have easily traded up one pick for a much better prospect.

IMO

We as a crowd get pissy when it comes to free agency. I'd love for us to be more active but it takes 2 to tango. Brooks didn't want to be here

To me, that's the point. Why didn't such a competent player not want to be here?

Tunsil & Howard are definitely built the same that's for sure.

Is that just wishful thinking that we didn't screw-up by passing on Dillard

We didn't pass on Dillard anymore than we passed on Jonah Williams. Heck, at least there was a rumor we had a trade linked up that would put us in position to get Williams & passed.

No such thing for Dillard who was picked before we were on the board.

Game 2 of pre-season has always been pretty meh to me. Starters wont play more than 2 series. Hard to evaluate anyone, much less OL shuffling positions

With joint practices during the week, it doesn’t work like it used to too much any more. Last year the offensive starters saw 11 snaps in the 3rd game. That used to be the game they played a half or more. I don’t remember the starting defense on the field together at all last PS, and those that were saw very few snaps.

That’s why I’d like to see the PS game scrapped and have a couple of joint practices each week with different teams during the preseason with a big 3 hour practice in the stadium replacing the games. At least the fans would get to see the starters in some action.

To me, that's the point. Why didn't such a competent player not want to be here?

Not every player and coach get along. He had a lot of personal baggage and needed a fresh start. Some guys do better in one system versus another, as he stated in an interview after going to the Eagles. There are many reasons why FA's move on to other teams. It is way to easy of an answer to say it was because of OB, especially when Brooks admits that he created some of his own problems.

Let's not forget that Brooks was a serviceable starter in Houston but was never Pro-Bowl/All-Pro. 3rd round draft pick from a Mid-Major that didn't get an invite to the NFL Combine, was inactive his first 10 games, back-up for the other six, starter for three seasons between Kubes and OB.

If I remember correctly, most of the chatter around here wasn't about losing Brooks to FA, it was about his replacements being a downgrade.

Much better prospect according to whom, other than the Eagles, who didn't need a starter?

Exactly, the Eagles weren't draft him as a Day 1 starter. They saw potential that they could develop over time, because they had the luxury of Peters. Which makes the pick all the more head-scratching as they clearly have holes to fill like every other team, are wanting to get back to the SB, but use their 1st round pick on an heir apparent/insurance policy.

We didn't pass on Dillard anymore than we passed on Jonah Williams. Heck, at least there was a rumor we had a trade linked up that would put us in position to get Williams & passed.

No such thing for Dillard who was picked before we were on the board.
It's called being proactive and smart and aggressive folks don't just sit on their hands and wait for fortuitous events to fall into their laps.
If either Williams or Dillard had remained on our Board and gotten remotely close to our position at which point we should have been prepared to be, well proactive and done so.

Exactly, the Eagles weren't draft him as a Day 1 starter. They saw potential that they could develop over time, because they had the luxury of Peters. Which makes the pick all the more head-scratching as they clearly have holes to fill like every other team, are wanting to get back to the SB, but use their 1st round pick on an heir apparent/insurance policy.

He may very well have been BPA,though I doubt that... they saw it as a way to screw the Texans and missed because the Texans had no intention of drafting Dillard there

It's called being proactive and smart and aggressive folks don't just sit on their hands and wait for fortuitous events to fall into their laps.
If either Williams or Dillard had remained on our Board and gotten remotely close to our position at which point we should have been prepared to be, well proactive and done so.

Did you not follow any pre-draft info?

He's their LT of the future. Their current LT is getting old. Jason Peters is 37.

Believe it or not most NFL teams, especially the smart ones, draft for value and not for need. Drafting for need is what bad teams do.

He may very well have been BPA,though I doubt that... they saw it as a way to screw the Texans and missed because the Texans had no intention of drafting Dillard there

If this is fact, it is definitive proof that the Texans are doomed to mediocrity, (or much worse depending on strength of schedule), until and unless Cal decides to commit to a focused pursuit of excellence .... beginning with the removal of O'Brien and all his minions !

Except those that were following the Texans... Dillard was rated as ok, Williams as good, but the Texans were really high on Howard

Which ones were those following the Texans who had Tytus rated higher?

If this is fact, it is definitive proof that the Texans are doomed to mediocrity, (or much worse depending on strength of schedule), until and unless Cal decides to commit to a focused pursuit of excellence .... beginning with the removal of O'Brien and all his minions !

There's no way that's true imo. That was the after the fact rationalization when eagles jumped and got the guy they wanted. Again imo

What makes Dillard so great he dropped to 22? You ever seen a top-notch LT drop so low?

What makes Dillard so great he dropped to 22? You ever seen a top-notch LT drop so low?

He wasn't a sure fire top 10 prospect, and his run blocking is a question market (somewhat irrelevant in today's NFL) but the fact that he fell there also means it was great value

Back