Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

State of the O-line

Ownership has historically spent and taken some swings, Ed Reed, Brick Asswiper, JJo. Most of the big swings failed. I actually see a plan now with Gaine and maybe BOB support, but feels different, like they have a vision. They still may fail, but they are taking their shots. Just because they don't do what we want does not make them stupid or just business men. Hell, I am more worried about the Rockets trying to win then the Texans. They were close and ownership seemed to constrain options. I think Gaine is building a sustainable team right now, not swinging big. Some models say go for it while your QB is cheap, if he drafts well he can build a team and pay DW4.

Ownership has historically spent and taken some swings, Ed Reed, Brick Asswiper, JJo. Most of the big swings failed. I actually see a plan now with Gaine and maybe BOB support, but feels different, like they have a vision. They still may fail, but they are taking their shots. Just because they don't do what we want does not make them stupid or just business men. Hell, I am more worried about the Rockets trying to win then the Texans. They were close and ownership seemed to constrain options. I think Gaine is building a sustainable team right now, not swinging big. Some models say go for it while your QB is cheap, if he drafts well he can build a team and pay DW4.

Gains big swing will be extending Deshaun Watson to a 7 year 150,000,000 deal :money:

The problem is the Colts are ahead of them in the process and this offseason the Texans lost even more ground.

Are you suggesting a method we won't miss on great players? Do you have a newsletter or podcast? Do you produce a "draft guide" & charge for premium content, with no adds?

Nope, but the Not Texans Worthy product they've put out there since there inception is never going to win anything. I've been saying this since 2010.

You will see.

Ballard is a witch.

Paris Campbell is going to be a differecemaker for Luck.
Who stays heathy, who develops, who surprises, let's see and not crown champs for the offseason.

Yes, Ballard is good at his job, but crap happens every year in the league. Maybe some of our speedy guys surprise, Vyncint comes into his own, receivers stay healthy, OL babies step up. We need some real football because these crystal balls are too fuzzy for me, lots of alternate realities

Who stays heathy, who develops, who surprises, let's see and not crown champs for the offseason.

Yes, Ballard is good at his job, but crap happens every year in the league. Maybe some of our speedy guys surprise, Vyncint comes into his own, receivers stay healthy, OL babies step up. We need some real football because these crystal balls are too fuzzy for me, lots of alternate realities

I like the Colts draft/FA alot more than I like the Texans.

I like the Colts draft/FA alot more than I like the Texans.
Your opinion and $5 bucks gets you a starbucks. I get you like them, just saying it takes some time to judge and tons happen with young men and injuries. I also am not yet convinced on their coaching staff. NOt ready to crown Reich after 1 year. Finally, look at UT under Mac Brown, got talent and never developed them. I see Gaine drafting coachable hungry players and putting people on prove it deals. This is the pros, who puts in the time in their craft will make the difference versus the negligible measurables we see today

I agree it's too early to crown Reich.

However, between him and OB, it's no contest... I'd be far more optimistic with what I've seen in him for one season than the sum of OBs entire body of work as HC.

Yes, a lot CAN hapoen... but let's look at what has happened and draw a logical conclusion on which team is likely the better after the offseason.

Could the Texans have magic on the roster now and the major holes be filled?

Yes, however possibility is not equal to probability.

I'd much rather the Texans be sitting where the Colts look to be sitting than where we saw the Texans before the seasons end (and likely currently are). (Both in terms of Oline state and just overall coaching)

That said, in all of OBs time here this is the most optimistic I have been. I know its foolish, but with changes made there is reason to hope... not much... but at this point the fan in me is desperate for a reason to hope, no matter how much I know it's more likely a tin foil lining than silver... at least its shiney and new.:kitten:

At least if this season is bad maybe.. just maybe OB will be gone and I can use the tin foil for a new hat.:bubbles:

Your opinion and $5 bucks gets you a starbucks. I get you like them, just saying it takes some time to judge and tons happen with young men and injuries. I also am not yet convinced on their coaching staff. NOt ready to crown Reich after 1 year. Finally, look at UT under Mac Brown, got talent and never developed them. I see Gaine drafting coachable hungry players and putting people on prove it deals. This is the pros, who puts in the time in their craft will make the difference versus the negligible measurables we see today

A bunch of FA's on 1 yr deals make you feel this way about the Texans? Good luck with this, for every 1 that works out, most likely 2 wont.

At the same time there's nothing wrong with appreciating what one team has done this offseason & scratching our heads at what another did.

With the information we do have some things make sense, some don't & there's nothing wrong with saying as much.

What Gaine & the Texans have done makes sense to you. I'm hoping I see a sliver of a thread starting.

But to most, what the Colts did makes sense. What the Texans did don't.

Colts ended the Texans season. Picked up Eric Ebron in free agency last year, looks to me like top 3 TE in NFL, course Texans just took another TE in 3rd, guess that balances out. This year they added Justin Houston, seem to remember Freeney and Mathis played forever plus they aggressively fortified defense even more. Texans picked up a couple DB’s but also lost two very good ones.

Colts traded out of the first for a second this year and second next. Texans stood pat and took who was left each pick. Last year two of their picks went all-pro doubt that happens but it’s a solid group ready to go.

Every year there is optimism but every year reality kicks in, maybe this year will be different but until proven I’m not buying it. Division is tougher all the way around not just the Colts, both Jaguars and Titans this coming year would beat the Texans last year. All we got is hope the Texans improved enough to just stay ahead but I wouldn’t go to Vegas on it. Strength of schedule 2019-2020 is a *****.

So we should crown the Colts now and forget about the 2019 season?

The Colts added Funchess/Houston in FA. They also have drafted better and dont have near the holes on their roster the Texans do.
Dude. You are losing credibility by the second in here.

You keep blasting the Texans because they have all this cap space and not spending it.

Yet, the Colts have even MORE cap space, and you’re praising their offseason.

You give the Devin Funchess signing as an example? WTF!?!? Devin freakin Funchess! Lol.

OK, I officially had enough of this guy.

Dude. You are losing credibility by the second in here.

You keep blasting the Texans because they have all this cap space and not spending it.

Yet, the Colts have even MORE cap space, and you’re praising their offseason.

You give the Devin Funchess signing as an example? WTF!?!? Devin freakin Funchess! Lol.

OK, I officially had enough of this guy.

Apparently you dont understand the Texans and the Colts are in 2 different places. If you cant figure this out after the last 2 games they played then we cant have a discussion.

Apparently you dont understand the Texans and the Colts are in 2 different places. If you cant figure this out after the last 2 games they played then we cant have a discussion.

If you can’t see the constant contradictions you make... you’re right, we can’t have a discussion.

You are like the anti John Harris. Anything other teams do is great... whatever Texans do bad!

Nope their are plenty of teams out there worse off than the Texans.

I'm just saying the Texans will never be a true contender, much less win a championship with their current model and I've been saying this since 2010.

Ballard has completely rebuilt Colts defense in 2 1/2 years. They can already stop the run their focus this offseason was to improve pass rush. It’s going to come from multiple angles and not just base players anymore. The Texans new offensive line will be under fire and have to win through physicality. Back end will still be their Achilles heel. Rock ya-Sin is a holding machine, will bite on double moves and plays with a linebackers mentality.

Not trying to throw cold water on everybody’s off-season dreams and expectations its just reality next season. Texans will compete, have to win on special teams, win time of possession and force turnovers in other words, near flawless football to beat these Colts again. Should make for some truly exciting games, everybody stay healthy, and know that not just Texans but entire division is to be feared.

No. That’s not what I’m saying. I’m saying you constantly contradict yourself. I thought I was clear on that?

Pointing out flaws like not really participating in FA like contenders do is a contradiction?

Go back and look at how all of the teams that participated in the AFC/NFC championship/SB games were built in the last 2-3 yrs. If nothing I've had a consistent philosophy. One that the Texans org doesn't share, nor do many members here. (The best players regardless should be drafted/signed in FA)

They keep losing the race so either they should bottom out or get new people to try and run the race.

Fact is ownership really doesn't care about running the race, much less winning the race.
I do not think the problem is ownership not wanting to win championships. The problem is knowing how to do it and let's not pretend it is an easy thing to do. The answer escapes most franchises.

Ballard has completely rebuilt Colts defense in 2 1/2 years. They can already stop the run their focus this offseason was to improve pass rush. It’s going to come from multiple angles and not just base players anymore. The Texans new offensive line will be under fire and have to win through physicality. Back end will still be their Achilles heel. Rock ya-Sin is a holding machine, will bite on double moves and plays with a linebackers mentality.

Not trying to throw cold water on everybody’s off-season dreams and expectations its just reality next season. Texans will compete, have to win on special teams, win time of possession and force turnovers in other words, near flawless football to beat these Colts again. Should make for some truly exciting games, everybody stay healthy, and know that not just Texans but entire division is to be feared.
If the Texans have solved the problem on the oline, they can keep their key players on the field, and the defense plays at least as well as last year, I think they can compete with anyone. The Colts will be a challenge, but if the above holds true, they don't scare me.

I do not think the problem is ownership not wanting to win championships. The problem is knowing how to do it and let's not pretend it is an easy thing to do. The answer escapes most franchises.

After 17 yrs I think it's fair to question their commitment.

What they've been doing hasn't and wont work if the goal is to win a championship. They're also unwilling to change their ways. Why is this so?

The last owner in this town that was unwilling to change got ran out of town and if the McNair's are remain unwilling to change then I hope they suffer the same fate. I would raher not have a football team than what we've experienced over the last 17 yrs.

This isn't a popular opinion but it's mine.

After 17 yrs I think it's fair to question their commitment.

What they've been doing hasn't and wont work if the goal is to win a championship. They're also unwilling to change their ways. Why is this so?

The last owner in this town that was unwilling to change got ran out of town and if the McNair's are remain unwilling to change then I hope they suffer the same fate. I would raher not have a football team than what we've experienced over the last 17 yrs.

This isn't a popular opinion but it's mine.
Unwilling to change what exactly?

If the Texans have solved the problem on the oline, they can keep their key players on the field, and the defense plays at least as well as last year, I think they can compete with anyone. The Colts will be a challenge, but if the above holds true, they don't scare me.

:koolaid:

So you're saying the Texans operate like championship contending franchises do, after 17 yrs of evidence?

Moving on

What I find humorous is your list of contenders. Some are true contenders, I can't argue with. The Patriots. KC.

But many are no more "true contenders" than the Texans are. The Colts. With Andrew Luck they have not gotten any closer to a Championship than the Texans. Sure, they got to the AFC Championship game & got routed by the Patriots.

Now to me getting routed by the Patriots in the AFCCG is no different than getting routed by the Patriots in a divisional game. You're no match for them & therefore not a true contender.

Other teams, like the Jags. They are currently paying for their cavalier traipse into FA. Still you beg the Texans to do the same. It's like maxing out your credit cards after working tirelessly for two years to pay them off(very recently, we were tapped out).

But yeah... the Browns are your model now. Eagles, Rams... Browns.

Texans will compete, have to win on special teams, win time of possession and force turnovers in other words, near flawless football to beat these Colts again. Should make for some truly exciting games, everybody stay healthy, and know that not just Texans but entire division is to be feared.

It really sux that we're the only team in the entire NFL that has to be perfect & healthy to have a shot.

Just reviewed tape of the Colts maniac, Darius Leonard and you know who he reminds me of? Justin Reid, except he is much bigger and roams in the box often times blitzing. All Pro as a rookie, think Justin was about as good just that he comes from safety position. Second vs Third call it a stalemate in regards to drafting talent, both GM’s got it right. Only problem is Ballard produces more picks therefore more opportunities to upgrade roster.

What I find humorous is your list of contenders. Some are true contenders, I can't argue with. The Patriots. KC.

But many are no more "true contenders" than the Texans are. The Colts. With Andrew Luck they have not gotten any closer to a Championship than the Texans. Sure, they got to the AFC Championship game & got routed by the Patriots.

Now to me getting routed by the Patriots in the AFCCG is no different than getting routed by the Patriots in a divisional game. You're no match for them & therefore not a true contender.

Other teams, like the Jags. They are currently paying for their cavalier traipse into FA. Still you beg the Texans to do the same. It's like maxing out your credit cards after working tirelessly for two years to pay them off(very recently, we were tapped out).

But yeah... the Browns are your model now. Eagles, Rams... Browns.

I said look at the teams in the last 2-3 yrs that have made the AFCCG/NFCCG as a model for what I would like to see the Texans do and how they go about/acquire talent.

Dont sleep on the Jags, now that they've got Foles and their defense is still very good, I can see them as being a formidable matchup for anybody next yr.

Just reviewed tape of the Colts maniac, Darius Leonard and you know who he reminds me of? Justin Reid, except he is much bigger and roams in the box often times blitzing. All Pro as a rookie, think Justin was about as good just that he comes from safety position. Second vs Third call it a stalemate in regards to drafting talent, both GM’s got it right. Only problem is Ballard produces more picks therefore more opportunities to upgrade roster.

Things people dont want to hear.

Back