Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

State of the O-line

This is my point. Davenport is not Elite, but he is better than average despite what some of our agenda driven fans say here. He's not going to be upgraded with an "anybody but Davenport" approach.

Last year they decided, "If we can't get Solder, Davenport is our best plan B."

This year they decided, "Kalil will have to play at a $7.25M level to beat Davenport out of the LT spot."

They may have already decided a "better" prospect won't be there at 23 nor within reach of 23.

I haven't given up on Davenport. I think he is a lot like Kjax. As a rookie they both played like rookies, which often time looks like "suck." Kjax looked bad but capable on the field, he was first round pick. Davenport barely saw the field, he was a 4th round project.

2nd year both saw improvement. 3rd year we should expect more. Kjax was never elite. Davenport most likely won't be either, but he's a good placeholder until you are able to get an elite LT. jmo
I think this Davenport's make or break season as a starter at LT. Long term, though, we need competent backups as well as starters; and I see Davenport best fitting into this role as a Texan.

If Martin's injuries have relegated his playing to what we saw last year, he's done imo. Quality depth, but should not be starting. I'm hoping the Texans can find an elite Center with the first three picks.
At most we keep 10 OL'men and more probably only 9. I think we keep either Mancz or Martin in a backup role, not both. If healthy, Mancz backs up all three interior positions and the organization just gave him a 2 year contract extension for this role.

2017? Problem is he was still bad and then had an injury after that so he might not even be able to reach that level.

I wonder how Davenport's grades were after taking out his time at RT.
I asked a similar question I don't believe was answered, unless I overlooked it, but how did Davenport grade out over the last 4 games, an indication he made progress and possibly giving some hope of continued improvement this off season. I remember he had a good reputation of being a hard worker and motivated toward improvement, coming out of college.

I asked a similar question I don't believe was answered, unless I overlooked it, but how did Davenport grade out over the last 4 games, an indication he made progress and possibly giving some hope of continued improvement this off season. I remember he had a good reputation of being a hard worker and motivated toward improvement, coming out of college.

My opinion. His "grade" will always be influenced by the people around him. We know Kelemente struggled. Partly due to injury & yes, partly due to playing next to Davenport.

But no one drafts a LT in the 4th round expecting him to be an elite, HOF player. He's a placeholder. We need better, the Texans know we need better. However, the reality is that better isn't easy to get.

How often is an elite LT there at 23? Duane Brown? Not his rookie year, not his sophomore year. It was a combination of Duane Brown & coaching that made him what he is.

Is there a LT in this draft that you'll sell the farm to grab? I hope there is one the Texans believe is & I hope they do. I don't expect them to. If they do, great. If they don't, great.

Texans have to play regardless. & I think Davenport is capable. Not elite. I don't think the Texans think he's elite. They (including my friend BO'b) know they need elite to replace him.

My opinion. His "grade" will always be influenced by the people around him. We know Kelemente struggled. Partly due to injury & yes, partly due to playing next to Davenport.

But no one drafts a LT in the 4th round expecting him to be an elite, HOF player. He's a placeholder. We need better, the Texans know we need better. However, the reality is that better isn't easy to get.

How often is an elite LT there at 23? Duane Brown? Not his rookie year, not his sophomore year. It was a combination of Duane Brown & coaching that made him what he is.

Is there a LT in this draft that you'll sell the farm to grab? I hope there is one the Texans believe is & I hope they do. I don't expect them to. If they do, great. If they don't, great.

Texans have to play regardless. & I think Davenport is capable. Not elite. I don't think the Texans think he's elite. They (including my friend BO'b) know they need elite to replace him.

I agree with all of your post. The question is .... do you believe the Texans will do what it takes to secure that new "D" guy ?

He has never had a reputation of "tough" and/or "nasty".........traits shared by top LTs.

Joe Thomas should be the benchmark for franchise LT. In fact pay him to come here and breakdown tackle prospects before the draft? He’s seen them on the field and working out @ combine.

To me it’s all about attitude and desire to dominate any challenge. Doesn’t mater how long the arms, how fast the forty or how many bench presses you can lift, it’s how it all comes together as total package on the field.

Hell Yeah !! Turret gunner to Pilot .... readjusting to alternate site .... over ! I've got a new man crush ! Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't right tackle the most obvious position that we have got to replace ? "Big Country" may go as early as late 30's !

Hell Yeah !! Turret gunner to Pilot .... readjusting to alternate site .... over ! I've got a new man crush ! Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't right tackle the most obvious position that we have got to replace ? "Big Country" may go as early as late 30's !

Haha, copy that

Also that first round buys you option of 5th year and we all know how important that can be.

If Martin's injuries have relegated his playing to what we saw last year, he's done imo. Quality depth, but should not be starting. I'm hoping the Texans can find an elite Center with the first three picks.

I agree that Martin did not have a good year, and I’m hoping you’re wrong about injuries being the cause. A while ago Wade Smith on 610 said that Develin was asking Martin to do things in the system that would be difficult for a HOF center to do. I’m hoping, given the overall blocking performance last season, they get “the system” cleaned up..

I agree that Martin did not have a good year, and I’m hoping you’re wrong about injuries being the cause. A while ago Wade Smith on 610 said that Develin was asking Martin to do things in the system that would be difficult for a HOF center to do. I’m hoping, given the overall blocking performance last season, they get “the system” cleaned up..

I may very well be wrong about Martin's injuries but I thought CnnnD said something to that effect. But we've seen three years of him 9n the field and I never thought he looked like a 2nd round pick.

Of course I blame coaching. But was under the impression that chronic lower body injuries have capped his potential.

T Julie’n Davenport, Houston Texans
Key Signature Stat: 97.4 pass-blocking efficiency.
Houston’s oft-maligned offensive line actually ended up with the best pass-blocking efficiency of the weekend at 87.7. Trailing the entire game, they were forced to drop back 57 times, and they allowed a relatively low nine total pressures (six hurries, two hits and one sack).
Davenport struggled throughout the year, but he had by far his best game on Saturday. He was Houston’s most effective run blocker and only allowed two hurries on the day.
&&&
https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-wild-card-weekend-standouts
&&&
Hey N-19 I'm so glad you asked so in case you missed it earlier this is Big Dave's final game of the 2019 NFL season in the W-C contest vs the Colts in which he played
pretty damn good according to PFF.

Houston’s oft-maligned offensive line actually ended up with the best pass-blocking efficiency of the weekend at 87.7. Trailing the entire game, they were forced to drop back 57 times, and they allowed a relatively low nine total pressures (six hurries, two hits and one sack).
Davenport struggled throughout the year, but he had by far his best game on Saturday. He was Houston’s most effective run blocker and only allowed two hurries on the day.
&&&
&&&
Hey N-19 I'm so glad you asked so in case you missed it earlier this is Big Dave's final game of the 2019 NFL season in the W-C contest vs the Colts in which he played
He should be able to build on that and work on his weakest areas.
That's if he wants to keep playing and get that big contract.

&&&
&&&
That game, the Texans' "6th OL" was reinforcing the left side...........the right side was attacked repeatedly as the "easier" side..........with 3 sacks.

Last edited:
Jonah Williams takes preparation to the next level
Posted by Michael David Smith on April 21, 2019, 2:25 PM EDT

Former Alabama guard Jonah Williams is drawing rave reviews for his mental preparation to the game, which is showing NFL teams an impressive level of commitment to his craft.

Williams devised his own methods of tracking tape study, watching the defensive linemen he’s preparing to line up against, categorizing each move they make, and entering all the data into a spread sheet to hep analyze what he can expect to see on game day.

Former Browns left tackle JoeThomas took a look at the way Williams prepares and told ESPN it’s “genius,” and that Williams is far ahead of most young linemen mentally.

“It just shows you his level of preparation,” Thomas said. “It says a lot about the success he will have at the next level, because that is the type of preparation you need to have to be able to gain an advantage over your opponent. I wasn’t that advanced when I was in college.”

Williams shared a spreadsheet with Austin Gayle of Pro Football Focus, and it shows the simple way he distills a lot of information that he picks up from film study. It’s an impressive level of preparation from an impressive young player.

&&&
&&&

Who was he going up against that game?

He sucks and always will be avg at best. It's a talent issue

&&&
&&&
This is what I saw and believe what OBrien is going with barring a trade that brings them Jonah.

I don't think the Texans will draft a stud LT in this draft.

I don't think Matt Kalil will play at $7.5M level.

But what if I'm wrong, what if both happen?

What if the Texans draft the OT you want & proves in camp that he can start day one. What if Matt Kalil exceeds all expectations & looks capable of playing at an All-Pro level.

What would you do? Would you cut Kalil, save the money?

Jonah Williams takes preparation to the next level
Posted by Michael David Smith on April 21, 2019, 2:25 PM EDT

Former Alabama guard Jonah Williams is drawing rave reviews for his mental preparation to the game, which is showing NFL teams an impressive level of commitment to his craft.

Williams devised his own methods of tracking tape study, watching the defensive linemen he’s preparing to line up against, categorizing each move they make, and entering all the data into a spread sheet to hep analyze what he can expect to see on game day.

Former Browns left tackle JoeThomas took a look at the way Williams prepares and told ESPN it’s “genius,” and that Williams is far ahead of most young linemen mentally.

“It just shows you his level of preparation,” Thomas said. “It says a lot about the success he will have at the next level, because that is the type of preparation you need to have to be able to gain an advantage over your opponent. I wasn’t that advanced when I was in college.”

Williams shared a spreadsheet with Austin Gayle of Pro Football Focus, and it shows the simple way he distills a lot of information that he picks up from film study. It’s an impressive level of preparation from an impressive young player.
And why he'd do well with our lack of coaching. I'd like Jonah LT, D at LG and Rankin C, Scharping at RG and Little RT for our future line.
Toss in Greedy and Love with perhaps Duck and Donnie Lewis at corners...3 more days and a wake up

Some people are placing Jonah as a guard due to his measurables, I call BS, Dude will be a good tackle, his technique is already good. Watch the tape not the underwear olympics and he is probably above Ford in that list

When was the last time an Alabama ol prospect was good in the nfl?

What if the Texans draft the OT you want & proves in camp that he can start day one. What if Matt Kalil exceeds all expectations & looks capable of playing at an All-Pro level.

Though the hypothetical situation you mention is highly unlikely, my hypothetical reaction is that we should keep both because injuries or poor play at other spots could force in-season position changes.

When was the last time an Alabama ol prospect was good in the nfl?

Kareem Jackson. When properly schemed, covered his assignments with authority. Never thought I would say this, but will miss him. But your point is well taken. Considering all the five star recruits and pro quality coaching, as a collective group they tend to struggle at the next level. NFL is so different, really rewards late bloomers and guys with an edge and chip on their shoulder. Work harder and overcome adversity.

You put Kalil at LT and start Jonah/Dillard at RT.

This would be a great situation.

You gould also start Jonah at LG and Henderson at RT.

Kalil isn't even healthy yet.

I do think they should take the best guy available regardless. Hopefully one of the best OTs is there.

Question is should they reach and draft a second round OL talent with their first pick

Kalil isn't even healthy yet.

I do think they should take the best guy available regardless. Hopefully one of the best OTs is there.

Question is should they reach and draft a second round OL talent with their first pick

They shouldn't reach.

They should trade up.

Noooooo Khalil won't even make the team. Even before these extensive injuries dude played terrible. Plus he hasn't even played in O'Brien's offensive scheme yet. One last thing on him, it's a good chance he won't see action during OTAS.

Davenport should still be the starter. He might surprise all of this year. Now that he has that much needed experience at that position in O'Brien's scheme.

Noooooo Khalil won't even make the team. Even before these extensive injuries dude played terrible. Plus he hasn't even played in O'Brien's offensive scheme yet. One last thing on him, it's a good chance he won't see action during OTAS.

Davenport should still be the starter. He might surprise all of this year. Now that he has that much needed experience at that position in O'Brien's scheme.

I thought that was an unknown?

Kalil was really good before injury.

The question was if Kalil worked out where would you play the OT you drafted .

The drafted OT would replace Davenport if Kalil doesn't pan out. Kalil probably isn't going to work out.

Kalil was really good before injury.

The question was if Kalil worked out where would you play the OT you drafted .

The drafted OT would replace Davenport if Kalil doesn't pan out. Kalil probably isn't going to work out.

We don't even know if we're going to draft a LT.

K was terrible before the injury KDog I believe posted that info on here already.

Again Davenport is your starting LT no matter if you like it or not.

If they do draft a tackle, I strongstrbelieve it will be for the right side. Henderson might not make it through camp. I'm surprised nobody on here even thought about that.

K was terrible before the injury KDog I believe posted that info on here already.

If they do draft a tackle, I strongstrbelieve it will be for the right side. Henderson might not make it through camp. I'm surprised nobody on here even thought about that.
Jonah, Little and Scharping all known as left tackle can move to right side including guard so I don't think it's being ignored here or on Texans draft board. Henderson and Kalil are cheap, cut if you have to guys who might start or at least be decent backups. Good moves but let's see where it goes from here.

Yes I believe he was only good his rookie year then it's been downhill. He was also apparently decent at the end of 2017 in pass blocking but still ended up bad overall

We certainly have talked about Risner and McGary. Scharping etc ..

If Davenport is the LT again next year the OL is going to suck again next year. It's not a matter of whether I like it or not.

We certainly have talked about Risner and McGary. Scharping etc ..

If Davenport is the LT again next year the OL is going to suck again next year. It's not a matter of whether I like it or not.

If the oline sux again, in which it more and likely will. It won't be because of one player. A player who you clearly don't like. But it will be because of coaching. That would be 6 years. When will you place blame on the root cause?

I know this won't be popular, but I believe, the Texans would be best served by finding a way, to cobble together another pick or player, to couple with our other 2nd round pick, to move up and land McGary ... he is exactly what we need on Watson's other blind side. He will plow a huge row for whoever is running the ball. His pass blocking can be improved .... just as Dillard's run blocking can. That would an awesome beginning for what could become an offensive juggernaut !!

I know this won't be popular, but I believe, the Texans would be best served by finding a way, to cobble together another pick or player, to couple with our other 2nd round pick, to move up and land McGary ... he is exactly what we need on Watson's other blind side. He will plow a huge row for whoever is running the ball. His pass blocking can be improved .... just as Dillard's run blocking can. That would an awesome beginning for what could become an offensive juggernaut !!

He should be available in the first and maybe still there in the second

Unfortunately, McGary has feet that just go straight forward. He has shown no ability to move side-to-side. In the NFL, as a RT he would be detrimental at pass protection. I would be surprised if he is not an automatic move to RG by whichever team takes him. I would question the wisdom of giving multiple picks/players to move up to get him.

If the oline sux again, in which it more and likely will. It won't be because of one player. A player who you clearly don't like. But it will be because of coaching. That would be 6 years. When will you place blame on the root cause?

You can't coach **** players.

Now if you want to say the ol coach doesn't know the type of players that can be successful, I can get on board with that.

But right now the OL is **** for talent and until that gets fixed the team will continue to be after thoughts.

If the OL isn't a whole lot better next year, then I want everyone to be fired.

Don't think you have to worry about all of that, because even if all that happens (Texans draft stud and Kahlil returns to form), our Oline coach is Mike Devlin so we'll still see the same overall crap product of shitty coaching.

Don't think you have to worry about all of that, because even if all that happens (Texans draft stud and Kahlil returns to form), our Oline coach is Mike Devlin so we'll still see the same overall crap product of shitty coaching.

I would like to see the OL talent upgraded and see.

You can't coach **** players.

Now if you want to say the ol coach doesn't know the type of players that can be successful, I can get on board with that.

But right now the OL is **** for talent and until that gets fixed the team will continue to be after thoughts.

If the OL isn't a whole lot better next year, then I want everyone to be fired.

Couldn't disagree more..

Can we please get past the fallacy that Devlin/O'Brien haven't had talented players to develop.. That's just not true.

This team HAS invested high draft picks for them to develop and they have busted under their tutelage.. FAs who we've signed that were regarded as quality lineman come here and have career worst seasons under that same damn tutelage.. Not to mention the other talented players on the line that they drove away.

Outside of Duane Brown where's all this great talent Alex Gibbs had? Yet he could take other teams cast offs or players that were never valued (late rounders and UDFAs) and constantly produce top units.

I don't care if we get the top three prospects in this draft.. As long as Mike Devlin is here, I have zero faith anything will come of it other than witnessing the complete waste and ruin of good talent.

You know.. SSDD.

Couldn't disagree more..

Can we please get past the fallacy that Devlin/O'Brien haven't had talented players to develop.. That's just not true.

This team HAS invested high draft picks for them to develop and they have busted under their tutelage.. FAs who we've signed that were regarded as quality lineman come here and have career worst seasons under that same damn tutelage.. Not to mention the other talented players on the line that they drove away.

Outside of Duane Brown where's all this great talent Alex Gibbs had? Yet he could take other teams cast offs or players that were never valued (late rounders and UDFAs) and constantly produce top units.

I don't care if we get the top three prospects in this draft.. As long as Mike Devlin is here, I have zero faith anything will come of it other than witnessing the complete waste and ruin of good talent.

You know.. SSDD.

Other XSF and a bum ankled Martin who have they drafted?

BTW, Gibbs had Winston Pitts iwhen he got here and DB was his pick. Those guys allowed Gibbs to get guys he jnkn from Colorado to finish out the OL.

Make no mistake though, Devlin wouldn't make a pimple on Gibbs a**.

Back