Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

State of the O-line

Some people are placing Jonah as a guard due to his measurables, I call BS, Dude will be a good tackle, his technique is already good. Watch the tape not the underwear olympics and he is probably above Ford in that list

He's a "film junkie".......exactly what you want in an LT. Arm length too short is laughable. He will add additional muscle and strength. And a big plus.................he chose to go to a Pro set offense...........and flourished in it.
Wednesday, Apr 17, 2019 05:04 PM
Prospect Profiles: Passion and Perfectionism Drive Offensive Tackle Jonah Williams

009NHkP.png

Seriously though based on what Gaine and Pat's comments today, we are looking to get just one OL in the draft and CB in the second

I’ve been trying to warn people what is potentially coming for a while.

— patrick (@PatDStat) April 18, 2019

We had a good conversation on this end. I think the #Texans going O-line in Round 1 and CB in Round 2 sets them up best rather than the other way around. https://t.co/N8Te4CF0LN

— Shane P. Hallam (@ShanePHallam) April 18, 2019

Mentioned it on our podcasts this week that the #Texans have a better shot at landing a right tackle where they sit in the first round than a LT. Sure seems it’s lining up that way with Gaine’s comments today.

— patrick (@PatDStat) April 18, 2019

However it works out with the first 3 picks, I trust Gaine to get the most out them. Whether that's 2 OLs and 1 DB, 1 OL and 2 DBs, or some other mix, he'll do a better job than maybe we've ever seen with the Texans. He knows we need multple players at a lot of positions, and he might be willng to reach just a bit for a position of need, but he's not going to over-reach. I think he has confidence in his abilities to judge the potential of guys & knows there are a lot of good players... several of whom are going to well outperform their pre-draft expectations... available after the first 3 rounds and going into UDFA status.

And Rankin can be on one of those jersey's too
Yep I will be stunned if Rankin doesn't beat out Kelemete. Talk about Hope & Prayer Kele needs both to remain on field. With all talk last year or so of players not getting on field due to injuries, nothing seems to be said about this LG.

However it works out with the first 3 picks, I trust Gaine to get the most out them. Whether that's 2 OLs and 1 DB, 1 OL and 2 DBs, or some other mix, he'll do a better job than maybe we've ever seen with the Texans. He knows we need multple players at a lot of positions, and he might be willng to reach just a bit for a position of need, but he's not going to over-reach. I think he has confidence in his abilities to judge the potential of guys & knows there are a lot of good players... several of whom are going to well outperform their pre-draft expectations... available after the first 3 rounds and going into UDFA status.

Doesn't matter. Three years from now we're going to be talking about the Civil war of 2019 when BG picked talentless hacks that didn't fit BO's "system."

Don't you know, Kelemente sucked because he played hurt. I hope Rankin beats him out,Fulton outplays Martin at Center and heavens erupt and we get Dillard. Then we have enough parts to be servicable
If Dillard is drafted by the Texans I predict he will still have to beat out Davenport to start at LT ?

Lastly, Gaine discussed the team’s left tackle situation. The plan is for Matt Kalil and Julien Davenport to compete for the starting spot. Again, good. Bring it. My boat is the only one tied up at Daven’s port. He’s better than Kalil. He should play left tackle. And you know what? Kalil is going to end up the starter even if he shouldn’t be. The Texans didn’t pay him $7.5 million this year for him to not play over Davenport. It’s going to be an atrocity.

Then Seantrel Henderson will get injured and Davenport will play right tackle, and we are going to be riding the same carousel all over again.

https://www.battleredblog.com/2019/...texans-as-they-prepare-for-the-2019-nfl-draft

I think they took a informed and hopeful flyer on Kalil. If he cannot play, it is not like they have long term money or draft capital in him, and I do think they play the best player whether it be Dillard, Kalil, or Davenport. I expect us to get a RT or CB by 23 as the rd1 left tackles will be gone. Again, if healthy Rankin is better than Kelemente, Fulton upgrades center, and draft/Seantrel anchor the right side maybe we will be middle of the road. Not against another useful body though for the OL!

Hey Doc, do you know if Kelemente's injuries are of the nature, that they will plague him throughout his career ?
If I recollect, you asked me that same question the end of last year and I replied that I couldn't really make a case for that. For sure, last year, he was plagued with numerous nagging injuries. It all began in Sept when he suffered an undisclosed knee injury. He really never totally recovered from it. In mid Nov, he suffered what was reported as a "thigh" injury, but at the time I saw it as a knee-related injury that would probably be a strained quadriceps tendon (considered part of the knee apparatus). This injury could have been the original "undisclosed" knee injury. One week later in Dec, he went on to suffer an ankle injury, likely a compensatory injury. Only 1 week later, he suffered elbow and rib injuries.

In summary, based on his history, I would mostly be concerned if in this offseason/preseason/regular season he suffers what is referred to a knee or thigh injury.......something that could herald a breakdown of his patellar tendon.........something that would end with a major surgery.

If I recollect, you asked me that same question the end of last year and I replied that I couldn't really make a case for that. For sure, last year, he was plagued with numerous nagging injuries. It all began in Sept when he suffered an undisclosed knee injury. He really never totally recovered from it. In mid Nov, he suffered what was reported as a "thigh" injury, but at the time I saw it as a knee-related injury that would probably be a strained quadriceps tendon (considered part of the knee apparatus). This injury could have been the original "undisclosed" knee injury. One week later in Dec, he went on to suffer an ankle injury, likely a compensatory injury. Only 1 week later, he suffered elbow and rib injuries.

In summary, based on his history, I would mostly be concerned if in this offseason/preseason/regular season he suffers what is referred to a knee or thigh injury.......something that could herald a breakdown of his patellar tendon.........something that would end with a major surgery.

Thanks for the info, .... again .... and I was thinking it was only a touch of deja vu. Kate Hepburn said that old age isn't for sissies .... I'll finish that thought in a moment .... I've got to go dry my eyes !

Lastly, Gaine discussed the team’s left tackle situation. The plan is for Matt Kalil and Julien Davenport to compete for the starting spot. Again, good. Bring it. My boat is the only one tied up at Daven’s port. He’s better than Kalil. He should play left tackle. And you know what? Kalil is going to end up the starter even if he shouldn’t be. The Texans didn’t pay him $7.5 million this year for him to not play over Davenport. It’s going to be an atrocity.

Then Seantrel Henderson will get injured and Davenport will play right tackle, and we are going to be riding the same carousel all over again.

https://www.battleredblog.com/2019/...texans-as-they-prepare-for-the-2019-nfl-draft
Obrien will not care about contracts when season begins. Kalil can actually be cut with only $2.25 million dead money; it's not a bad contract. Henderson and Kele even less.

He can't play RT? He apparently is also not a good run blocker, which is fine for today's nfl but I'm not sure about O'Briens system
This is why Dillard not my choice, he's like D in that he is pure LT, worse as Run blocker and cannot play RT either so if he's drafted he better beat out D. We cannot afford a first round backing up a 4th at that spot; not this year so he's too big of a gamble. Little is better risk in second round allowing trade down from 23.

Last edited:
Didn't Davenport grade well run blocking?

I'd like to know the answer to that question myself. When I visualize a right tackle, I see a 6'7" - 325 lb frame. Of course he's got to have strength and attitude .... but you can't coach up a frame. I wish I knew if there were any comments thrown around at workouts about the linemen - if any of them had really invested in an off season regime so hard, that it showed when they walked into camp. I would like to think that Davenport and Rankin would improve more than anyone else on the line. They both rated highly on intellect and intangibles.

Williams is still my outright favorite for LT (in addition to being able to slide into another OL position.

He's been my favorite all along. I notice that they're beginning to talk more and more about him moving inside and listing him at 6'4" .... as if that justifies the move. He measured 6'4 1/2" at the combine and weighed 302. If I'm building a ZBS LT, he's 6'5" and 305 .... just like Bruce Mathews son and Duane Brown. As a matter of fact, I believe Risner would make a great RT. They're both football ball players !

He's been my favorite all along. I notice that they're beginning to talk more and more about him moving inside and listing him at 6'4" .... as if that justifies the move. He measured 6'4 1/2" at the combine and weighed 302. If I'm building a ZBS LT, he's 6'5" and 305 .... just like Bruce Mathews son and Duane Brown. As a matter of fact, I believe Risner would make a great RT. They're both football ball players !
Do you like Jonah Williams?
I did a first round mock of all 32 teams using a dose of consensus and bpa and he fell to us. I did it as objectively as I possibly could.
It is a distinct possibility - one I did not previously think possible.

Williams is still my outright favorite for LT (in addition to being able to slide into another OL position.
Yes I agree.
If we were to get him he immediately becomes the best tackle on this team since DB and could give us some peace of mind as our LT for 2019 but if either Davenport or newly acquired Matt Kalil exceeds expectations for this Fall and becomes a competent LT, Williams still has the versatility to start for us at RT or inside at guard while a Andre Dillard for example is regarded as basically a LT only.

Amazing that so many anonymous MB posters think they are smarter than paid professionals... 3 yrs will tell all. How many will remember?

Even during Kalil's injury riddled season, he still ended up with a higher grade than Davenport. If Kalil is healthy he's an upgrade unless Davenport has improved in the offseason.

He can't play RT? He apparently is also not a good run blocker, which is fine for today's nfl but I'm not sure about O'Briens system

This is why Dillard not my choice, he's like D in that he is pure LT, worse as Run blocker and cannot play RT either so if he's drafted he better beat out D

This is my point. Davenport is not Elite, but he is better than average despite what some of our agenda driven fans say here. He's not going to be upgraded with an "anybody but Davenport" approach.

Last year they decided, "If we can't get Solder, Davenport is our best plan B."

This year they decided, "Kalil will have to play at a $7.25M level to beat Davenport out of the LT spot."

They may have already decided a "better" prospect won't be there at 23 nor within reach of 23.

I haven't given up on Davenport. I think he is a lot like Kjax. As a rookie they both played like rookies, which often time looks like "suck." Kjax looked bad but capable on the field, he was first round pick. Davenport barely saw the field, he was a 4th round project.

2nd year both saw improvement. 3rd year we should expect more. Kjax was never elite. Davenport most likely won't be either, but he's a good placeholder until you are able to get an elite LT. jmo

I have to disagree. Martin was a terrific G at ND.

If Martin's injuries have relegated his playing to what we saw last year, he's done imo. Quality depth, but should not be starting. I'm hoping the Texans can find an elite Center with the first three picks.

I think by signing Kalil and stating publicly that he's competing to start the Texans FO is thinking 1 of 2 things leading up to the draft.

1. All a smokescreen in hopes that Dillard, Williams, or Taylor, etc are there.

2. They're going BPA at 23 regardless if its DL, OL, CB, or S.

I think by signing Kalil and stating publicly that he's competing to start the Texans FO is thinking 1 of 2 things leading up to the draft.

1. All a smokescreen in hopes that Dillard, Williams, or Taylor, etc are there.

2. They're going BPA at 23 I(according to their) board... regardless if its DL, OL, CB, or S.

Yeah and fify

Hopefully their scouts htst

Even during Kalil's injury riddled season, he still ended up with a higher grade than Davenport. If Kalil is healthy he's an upgrade unless Davenport has improved in the offseason.

2017? Problem is he was still bad and then had an injury after that so he might not even be able to reach that level.

I wonder how Davenport's grades were after taking out his time at RT.

Reactions: JB
But their board liable to be very different from 'our' board... who is right?

I would be very surprised if they drafted a position other than the ones mentioned. Not completely out of the question, though. I guess RB, or possibly WR could be an option.

I think IDL very likely

If there is a run on OL like the media seems to think, we could come away with a great defensive player whether it's on the DL or CB, or possibly safety.

Would you guys be interested in at TE at 23? Hockenson, Fant, or Irv Smith?

I might consider Hockenson but, to be honest, not really. I'd look for a trading partner for a TE needy team at the top of the 2nd or end of the 1st. Pats maybe?

Do you like Jonah Williams?

I do. Alabama was on a bunch of times last season. He's very competitive and fluid .... and doesn't take plays off. Throughout the season, Dillard steadily grew on me .... especially in the Senior Bowl. I'm not sure what I'd do if they were both there.

Amazing that so many anonymous MB posters think they are smarter than paid professionals... 3

Anonymous .... Smart ?? I resemble those remarks ! Not anonymous .... justmy2cents is my real name .... well, I did change my Christian name .... never really cared for "notworth" ! "I may not be a smart man, but I know what love is" ! Smarter .... I've known a lot of paid professionals who really weren't very smart at all .... they proved that when they came to me for advice ! Lighten up, you old curmudgeon .... draft is 5 days away !

Back