Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

State of the O-line

BOB's fingerprints are all over every player brought in under his regime (arguably not Os but even that is up for debate). Judging talent is by far his biggest weakness. And the biggest reason for the split on this board. Some people want to let him off the hook for this for some reason.

Nope the biggest split is over who was acquiring the talent.

Now there is no doubt who is acquiring the talent and you can see the difference in last yrs draft and fa signings. Or at least you should be able to see the difference.

Last edited:
BOB's fingerprints are all over every player brought in under his regime (arguably not Os but even that is up for debate). Judging talent is by far his biggest weakness. And the biggest reason for the split on this board. Some people want to let him off the hook for this for some reason.

I tend to think that this is our biggest problem. I believe that, (it pains me to say this), in the Texans organization, at least concerning player personnel, Bob is the "big dog." He may be bright, but I think his ego is stronger than his mind. He is surrounded by people who know football, but I'll bet if someone challenges him on team building strategy, or even a draft pick, he says something like, "and what was my record last year ?"

Now there is no doubt who is acquiring the talent and you can see the difference in last yes draft and fa signings. Or at least you should be able to see the difference.
So far the difference is bringing in 2 guards and drafting a tackle that is a guard. No doubt Gaine did a better job filling the back end of the roster though but BOB's fingerprints persist.

I tend to think that this is our biggest problem. I believe that, (it pains me to say this), in the Texans organization, at least concerning player personnel, Bob is the "big dog." He may be bright, but I think his ego is stronger than his mind. He is surrounded by people who know football, but I'll bet if someone challenges him on team building strategy, or even a draft pick, he says something like, "and what was my record last year ?"
You might be right. I'm willing to say that it isn't ego as much as he's just not good at it though. But he's undoubtedly involved w/ team building strategy and always has been. It's also possible that he's recognized his weakness here and may defer more now. Hoping so at least.

So far the difference is bringing in 2 guards and drafting a tackle that is a guard. No doubt Gaine did a better job filling the back end of the roster though but BOB's fingerprints persist.

If last yrs draft fingerprints are OB's then the Texans org is in good shape in the future.

You still have faith in OB? I can't force it anymore.

My point is that I liked last yrs draft and he pointed out that it had BOB's fingerprints all over it.

Funny how the drafting suddenly got better when Gaine was hired. I dont really think BOB's fingerprints were all over last yrs draft. Let Gaine/BOB get thru yr 2 of the 3 yr rebuild and I will have a better feel for where the team is.

My point is that I liked last yrs draft and he pointed out that it had BOB's fingerprints all over it.

Funny how the drafting suddenly got better when Gaine was hired. I dont really think BOB's fingerprints were all over last yrs draft. Let Gaine/BOB get thru yr 2 of the 3 yr rebuild and I will have a better feel for where the team is.

I don't think you can make a judgement based on one draft any way. Need like three to me.

Gaine just seems like Bob's version of Rick Smith to what Kubiak had. I never liked the Hire personally.

Now there is no doubt who is acquiring the talent and you can see the difference in last yes draft and fa signings. Or at least you should be able to see the difference.
what did last year draft yield. we know why reid fell to third rd. two TEs that cant block.
why does everyone point to last year draft. coutee played what, 2 games. last year draft yielded a safety that no one would touch because his bro was involved in politics. outside that, what did we draft. curious your thoughts.

Bob has already had plenty of seasons. To me he is just the same coach he was when we got him. He's not bad, but damn at some point you've got to evolve and show that you're getting better on the job.
Exactly. First time head coaches have to learn, but BOB hasn't seemed to.

Bob has already had plenty of seasons. To me he is just the same coach he was when we got him. He's not bad, but damn at some point you've got to evolve and show that you're getting better on the job.

1 thing at a time because- that's how this franchise works. We got our new GM (and I'm hopeful despite ob.) If ob doesn't make major progress he'll have hell to pay next offseason. He's all out of strikes.

1 thing at a time because- that's how this franchise works. We got our new GM (and I'm hopeful despite ob.) If ob doesn't make major progress he'll have hell to pay next offseason. He's all out of strikes.

He had a strong season overall and I knew he'd be back once the team made a huge run, but losing to Indy 3 times in a season and back to back at the end was pretty bad. Being another no show in a playoff game like that was also pretty disappointing even though I didn't get to watch it. I was in Australia thank god. Just don't see him being an asset once the team hits the playoffs.

He had a strong season overall and I knew he'd be back once the team made a huge run, but losing to Indy 3 times in a season and back to back at the end was pretty bad. Being another no show in a playoff game like that was also pretty disappointing even though I didn't get to watch it. I was in Australia thank god. Just don't see him being an asset once the team hits the playoffs.

Just to be clear - I think steelb's post you quoted was about more time to evaluate gain then anything else. And I followed suit. I think giving gain a few years is reasonable. I dont allot that much time for OB to get it right.

what did last year draft yield. we know why reid fell to third rd. two TEs that cant block.
why does everyone point to last year draft. coutee played what, 2 games. last year draft yielded a safety that no one would touch because his bro was involved in politics. outside that, what did we draft. curious your thoughts.

I remember being this giddy after Rick's first draft with O'Brien. Two years later we're cursing every pick.

Just to be clear - I think steelb's post you quoted was about more time to evaluate gain then anything else. And I followed suit. I think giving gain a few years is reasonable. I dont allot that much time for OB to get it right.

Didn't like the Gaine hire in the first place. It seemed like a "yes man" hire for OB the same way it was for Kubiak when he hand picked Smith. Backwards way to run an organization and this team's ownership repeats the same mistakes unfortunately. Gaine was not on any other team's short list to my knowledge. He was just some guy that the team was familiar with who threw him in there. Maybe Gaine can prove my skepticism wrong. I hope he does.

I don't think you can make a judgement based on one draft any way. Need like three to me.

Gaine just seems like Bob's version of Rick Smith to what Kubiak had. I never liked the Hire personally.

Lets see how Gaine does with a full compliment of picks and give him a couple of full drafts before even trying to compare him to the former GM.

Lets see how Gaine does with a full compliment of picks and give him a couple of full drafts before even trying to compare him to the former GM.

He's the same type of hire though, so I think they're comparable from the start. A odd ball hire of a guy that no other teams would have hired that came sort of out of nowhere. It came off as a "yes man" hire for OB, and OB's consistency of having bad decisions on offense is already a highly questionable problem and I don't think a yes man type of GM was what we needed at all. Rick Smith was totally that when we hired him as well, and I felt the same way. Again, I hope he proves my skepticism wrong. Just expressing how I see it as of now.

It's Gaine.

Careless on my part. Far more occupied watching YouTube videos on napoleon's battles right now then anything here.

I'll leave spell checking and grammatical swat tactics and slights in your capable hands.

1. They fixed the S position, I dont care how or why it happened. I'm just glad the position has finally been addressed.

2. There were ST's players drafted and they were much improved.

3.I like the TE's and thought they did well for rookies. TE is one of the hardest positions to learn as a rookie. I'm very high on Jordan Thomas, he did very well considering he's a converted WR.

4. Coutee has the potential to be best slot WR the Texans have ever had. The Texans medical staff screwed the pooch on Coutee's injury. He's never had hamstring issues before and I expect him to have a big yr next yr.

5. Ejiofor looked good in limited playing time and contributed on ST's
6. Kalambayi- looked good on ST's and didn't embarrass himself when called on to play in an emergency.
7. Would you agree Rankin has potential as a LG?
8. Daniel- A worthy successor to Lechler wouldn't you say?

And Gaine did this without 1st or 2nd rd picks. What more did you expect from Gaine's 1st draft class? Good times are ahead.

R. Smith wasn't involved . That's what it yielded for Steel. His ongoing bashing somewhat slowed down just a bit.

2 more yrs for BOB to produce a true contender.

1. They fixed the S position, I dont care how or why it happened. I'm just glad the position has finally been addressed.

3.I like the TE's and thought they did well for rookies. TE is one of the hardest positions to learn as a rookie. I'm very high on Jordan Thomas, he did very well considering he's a converted WR.

4. Coutee has the potential to be best slot WR the Texans have ever had. The Texans medical staff screwed the pooch on Coutee's injury. He's never had hamstring issues before and I expect him to have a big yr next yr.

6. Kalambayi- looked good on ST's and didn't embarrass himself when called on to play in an emergency.

And Gaine did this without 1st or 2nd rd picks. What more did you expect from Gaine's 1st draft class? Good times are ahead.

Well said.

So they never tried to fix anything under Rick? Bwhahaha classic

Oh they tried. EVERY GM trys. Participation awards mean squat in the nfl.

GainE did just fine in year 1 considering what he had to work with. I was upset with him drafting jordan in rd3 but have long since realized it was a good pick.

Te's should continue to be a non concern going forward.

Fixed our safeties which had never been done.

Fixed our special teams which had never been done (revisit dom?)

Saturation bombed the ol in free agency and the draft. More misses then hits ,but again, what quality free agents where available? How many high draft picks did we have?

Lighten up Francis.

Well now that you put it that way lol

We didn't lose to Indy three times. We won the first and lost the last two.

Sounds like Seantrel and Davenport will start. Gaine doesn't like the fa market for tackles.

Tweet from @SOTTexans: #Texans GM Brian Gaine on the offensive tackle class in the draft and expectations for Julién Davenport and Seantrel Henderson. https://t.co/8HCpS7nGE9

He said the FA Tackle market wasn't deep, not that he didn't like it

Fair enough. I took it that they aren't going to sign a fa tackle but sounds like the draft has options.

And Seantrel is the likely starter. He didn't specifically say Davenport would start but he's part of their plans. I doubt a rookie would beat him out

Fair enough. I took it that they aren't going to sign a fa tackle but sounds like the draft has options.

And Seantrel is the likely starter. He didn't specifically say Davenport would start but he's part of their plans. I doubt a rookie would beat him out

Oh, I took it the same way

He said the FA Tackle market wasn't deep, not that he didn't like it

Living proof people hear what they want to hear.

I could see Gaine adding Brown in FA and drafting a guy like Edoga in the 3rd since he can play both LT/RT. Then loading up on CB's and WR's in Rds 1 and 2.

It's not what I would do but the OT's would be Brown/Henderson with backup/Swing OT's Edoga/Davenport.

Davenport may be going into yr 3 but I seriously doubt his feet move any faster.

Reactions: JB
Can not go onto season with the hot garbage that we call a offensive line.
Must sign either
Trent Brown or JaWuan James OT
And draft best available OLine player.
Cut the dead weight.
Need a blocking TE
Levine Toilolo was the best pass-blocking tight end according to PFF. And Is a Freeagent.

Living proof people hear what they want to hear.

I could see Gaine adding Brown in FA and drafting a guy like Edoga in the 3rd since he can play both LT/RT. Then loading up on CB's and WR's in Rds 1 and 2.

It's not what I would do but the OT's would be Brown/Henderson with backup/Swing OT's Edoga/Davenport.

Davenport may be going into yr 3 but I seriously doubt his feet move any faster.

JB and I heard the same thing. Gaine unlikely to sign a tackle in free agency.

Seantrel projected starter and Davenport continues to be part of their plans.

Sounds like more of the same unless he's playing poker

JB and I heard the same thing. Gaine unlikely to sign a tackle in free agency.

Seantrel projected starter and Davenport continues to be part of their plans.

Sounds like more of the same unless he's playing poker

I think he likes Henderson because he knows him from his days in Buffalo.

I've got a problem with Davenport as a backup LT as long as they draft another swing OT somewhere in this draft. You simply cant depend on Davenport. Sign Brown and start Henderson, then draft a swing OT to provide competition between Henderson and the drafted guy.

Back