Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

State of the O-line

As did I.

I took him at his word,

He said, the FA OT market isn't deep. (Nowhere did he say he was adverse to signing a FA OT.) He also said he expects improvement from Davenport in his 3rd yr. This kind of statement was to be expected (I dont think Davenport will improve and will be gone after next yr.)

What I got from that interview was Gaine expected/expects Henderson to be the starting RT next yr.

I think he likes Henderson because he knows him from his days in Buffalo.

I've got a problem with Davenport as a backup LT as long as they draft another swing OT somewhere in this draft. You simply cant depend on Davenport. Sign Brown and start Henderson, then draft a swing OT to provide competition between Henderson and the drafted guy.

I think they'll definitely draft an OT

I was most interested in was how B'Obrein and Gaine described what the Texans were looking for in offensive linemen. It seemed to continue along the theme of guys who could play either side and could play with power and athleticism..(scheme flexible-both power and zone) Example..Rankin still is highly regarded because he can play anywhere including center if needed.

In terms of free agent OT, I just hear Gaine repeat what seemed to be discussed here already, quite a few tackles throughout the draft with free agency not having depth at the position.This means those couple of good non-great guys will either not hit the market or will have too many teams vying for that guy's play at premium prices. As we have seen, when the player has control there is no telling what factor will weight most in his or his family's mind.

Living proof people hear what they want to hear.

I could see Gaine adding Brown in FA and drafting a guy like Edoga in the 3rd since he can play both LT/RT. Then loading up on CB's and WR's in Rds 1 and 2.

It's not what I would do but the OT's would be Brown/Henderson with backup/Swing OT's Edoga/Davenport.

Davenport may be going into yr 3 but I seriously doubt his feet move any faster.

Question is how much of Davenport's slow feet is mental and how much is physical. If he is reacting slow because he is still learning and has to think before he reacts, then there is room for him to improve as apposed to hitting the wall of his physical ability.

Question is how much of Davenport's slow feet is mental and how much is physical. If he is reacting slow because he is still learning and has to think before he reacts, then there is room for him to improve as apposed to hitting the wall of his physical ability.

True,

But if he's still having issues thinking after yr 2. He's a lost cause. I think it's the athletic ability.

I want to see what he looks like this year. We knew he was going to be a project. If there is not noticeable progress this year, then it's time to cut bait.

Fair enough

Davenport is sunk cost and the quicker they move on the better. Hopefully his presence doesn't trick Gaine into not upgrading Davenport's position.

I want to see what he looks like this year. We knew he was going to be a project. If there is not noticeable progress this year, then it's time to cut bait.

Fair enough

Davenport is sunk cost and the quicker they move on the better. Hopefully his presence doesn't trick Gaine into not upgrading Davenport's position.

Lance Zierlein did the NFL.com draft profile of Davenport. He said he would be a 2-3 year developmental player.

I wish I could find the tape of his interview, before his draft. If he does not have the talent, he certainly has the head and heart for it. If he has hit the weights real hard in the off season, at 6'7" 325#, he certainly would have the body for the right side. Wonder if anyone would give us an early 1st for O'Brien .... hmmm ....

I was most interested in was how B'Obrein and Gaine described what the Texans were looking for in offensive linemen. It seemed to continue along the theme of guys who could play either side and could play with power and athleticism..(scheme flexible-both power and zone) Example..Rankin still is highly regarded because he can play anywhere including center if needed.

This is my big concern with the type of OL BOB wants to build. Since he’s been here, he’s been infatuated with linemen that are versatile and can play multiple positions. XSF, Allen, Kelemete, Rankin were all guys that were touted as “can play anywhere on the line”. We don’t need guys that can play multiple positions mediocrely at best, we need guys that can play one position well.

This is my big concern with the type of OL BOB wants to build. Since he’s been here, he’s been infatuated with linemen that are versatile and can play multiple positions. XSF, Allen, Kelemete, Rankin were all guys that were touted as “can play anywhere on the line”. We don’t need guys that can play multiple positions mediocrely at best, we need guys that can play one position well.

Actually we need guys that can play multiple positions well and coaches that can coach good-great

The Texans do not have the luxury to just draft a OT and move on. Our Oline is terrible. This needs to be hit in multiple ways. Sign best OT that's available to the Texans.
If that's Trent Brown then so be it.
Draft at least 2 OL players. Look at trade market. Be ready for cap casualties market as well.
Potential cuts such as
OT Kelvin Beachum NYJ
OT Bryan Bulaga GB
OT Andrew Whitworth LAR
Link of possible cuts
https://www.nj.com//eagles/2018/11/potential_2019_cap_casualties_for_all_32_nfl_teams_calais_ca.html

https://www.silverandblackpride.com/2019/1/25/18198076/nfl-2019-potential-cap-casualties-offense

Reactions: Max
I think we're going to sign Brown and start Henderson, then draft a swing OT to provide competition between Henderson and the drafted guy.
I think Henderson is a cheap option if he is effective RT starter and reasonable if he is pushed to backup by a FA or draft pick. His base $1 m is guaranteed with another $500,000 due day three March 16th. He gets additional $500,000 if active 12 games or more plus another $125,000 per game active. I'm hoping we can sign Ju'Wuan James and push SH to back up.

Agreed. At most Henderson is probably a bridge player for a draft pick that's not quite ready in year 1. I would be all for someone like David Edwards or Oli Udoh if they weren't likely to be counted on next year but could spend a year getting their feet wet.

I think we're going to sign Brown and start Henderson, then draft a swing OT to provide competition between Henderson and the drafted guy.
The competition for Trent Brown will be fierce with other suitors who also have lots of free cap space. I'd love to see Gaine sign but have no way of knowing how to handicap our chances, do you ?

The competition for Trent Brown will be fierce with other suitors who also have lots of free cap space. I'd love to see Gaine sign but have no way of knowing how to handicap our chances, do you ?
I think the team that wants Brown the most, gets Brown. I can't tell you whom that will be. Other than it won't be the Patriots. They don't play like that.

Agreed. At most Henderson is probably a bridge player for a draft pick that's not quite ready in year 1. I would be all for someone like David Edwards or Oli Udoh if they weren't likely to be counted on next year but could spend a year getting their feet wet.

Not too sure that this is the right place for any O linemen to "get their feet wet" so to speak.

Best to find players that are ready to plug and play. Then hope they don't digress.

Difficult to find any O linemen that have progressed here lately.

:coffee:

I think the team that wants Brown the most, gets Brown. I can't tell you whom that will be. Other than it won't be the Patriots. They don't play like that.

Yep,

I bet the contract will be 5 yrs at 15 mil per yr with 30-35 mil guaranteed. Probably close to what Bell's going to get. I hope they front load the contract for the 1st 2 yrs.

I give the Texans a above average chance if he wants to come back to Texas. We will pay out of desperation and then the situation he comes to is good, no state income tax, etc. I sense money won't be the tie breaker, so start getting Wilfork to make him some BBQ and show him around

Not speaking for Rick Schmidt but the Texans are going to offer Brown the best deal on the FA market if they want him. Not matching the best deal out there.

I hope your right and I hope we land him. But why isnt money his primary concern?

What's the point in having 70+ million if we dont use it? I'll be curious to see gaine's salesmanship in luring free agents.

It doesn't. Are you ok with overspending in free agency?

I kinda think the term is overused. It's not like players come with price tags. The market is whatever it will bear.

Not a fan of signing Brown & using the #1 both on OT's. But not so much you'll hear me complain if they do.

Now I will complain if they sign Brown and trade up for the OT. That's wasting a player like a serious RB who could help out Watson even more than the incremental improvement at OT.

I hope your right and I hope we land him. But why isnt money his primary concern?

What's the point in having 70+ million if we dont use it? I'll be curious to see gaine's salesmanship in luring free agents.

Money shouldn't be a concern. Cutting KJo saves 9.1 mil and raises the cap $$$$ to 91 mil. If you cut KJo you're really only paying Brown 6 mil of the existing cap space. If they want Brown they can get him.

I kinda think the term is overused. It's not like players come with price tags. The market is whatever it will bear.

Not a fan of signing Brown & using the #1 both on OT's. But not so much you'll hear me complain if they do.

Now I will complain if they sign Brown and trade up for the OT. That's wasting a player like a serious RB who could help out Watson even more than the incremental improvement at OT.

I gotta disagree with you if you think a RB will help Watson more than a vet LT to protect Watson's blindside. Signing Brown wouldn't preclude me from picking another OT at 23 too. Investing in protecting Watson should be job #1.

Mostly I agree ,but there are still good and bad contracts. Honestly, I think overpaying (within reason) is just the cost of doing business in the early portion of free agency.

I think the Texans will pursue brown and then couple him with at least 1 other ol whose versatile enough to be a t or a g (in free agency or the draft.) That's just what OB does.

We'll push for a CB as well. I suspect the Texans will be locked in with kj or badger before free agency begins

I gotta disagree with you if you think a RB will help Watson more than a vet LT to protect Watson's blindside. Signing Brown wouldn't preclude me from picking another OT at 23 too. Investing in protecting Watson should be job #1.

Read it again. I said I object to signing Brown and then also trading up for an OT.

Depends on the deal. So many RBs prove you can get them late. Can ob find one? Not so sure.

Depends on the deal. So many RBs prove you can get them late. Can ob find one? Not so sure.

Really not that many past the 3rd round have sustained success. Most who do are with teams with a well defined running game & are targeted because they fit that system. We have a muddle conceptually.

Read it again. I said I object to signing Brown and then also trading up for an OT.

If I signed Brown, then I wouldn't trade up. I might be on board for trading down, depending on what my board looks like. If they dont sign Brown and Dillard is on the board at 12 to 15 I would trade up for Dillard. Protecting Watson is worth a 2nd rd pick IMHO.

If I signed Brown, then I wouldn't trade up. I might be on board for trading down, depending on what my board looks like. If they dont sign Brown and Dillard is on the board at 12 to 15 I would trade up for Dillard. Protecting Watson is worth a 2nd rd pick IMHO.

I want Brown AND Dillard. He needs to slide to 15 or later before I consider a move though. A 3 might get us to 19. Toss in a future 4 for more?

I dont want to lose a 2nd rd pick.

That's fair. I think it's also fair to say an improved ol will naturally help the run game with the talent we already have.

Yes an improved OL will naturally help.

Given OB's proclivity for running up the middle imo we need a bowling ball RB with great balance. Someone under 6', an Emmitt style 5'9" 220 lb low center of gravity RB whose legs churn.

Yep, they aren't looking for a main RB just a guy to compliment Miller.

They should be looking to make Miller the compliment or cut him.

Yep, they aren't looking for a main RB just a guy to compliment Miller. I Ozigbo/Hills/Anderson//Homer/Scarlett/Barnes in the 5th

Sanders/MontgomeryWeber in the 3rd.

I'm not versed enough in the rb class to know what's good or isnt. I do know we can find someone better then blue.

And as cak says, can be proficient between the tackles.

I want Brown AND Dillard. He needs to slide to 15 or later before I consider a move though. A 3 might get us to 19. Toss in a future 4 for more?

I dont want to lose a 2nd rd pick.

You could trade a 1st/3rd this yr and a 2nd next yr to move up. Just depends on how much you want to give up to get the best player possible to protect Watson. For us we would be willing to move up to do whatever it takes to protect Watson in both the draft/FA.

For Cak not so much.

Back