Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

State of the O-line

Well that's a complete over simplification of the issue which is also wrong but ok

How the hell am I wrong when a lot of actually football heads were saying it after every game that year. He did not hold onto to the ball like he did this past season. He was quick and very decisive with his reads.

But you gents are the guru's who I guess knows everything.

Or the fact that he had to escape the rush.

The broken ribs/punctured lung had something to do with some of the changes in the offense. BOB's changes i the offense worked, Watson came out of the yr healthy which is all I was really hoping for considering the state of the OL and the injuries to the WR corps. Do you think throwing to 2 rookie UDFA WR's could've also contributed to Watson holding the ball longer?

I can agree with all of this. And yes that plays a factor as well.

Right, in addition to the playbook OB personally coached him.

He was repeatedly noted to have one of the fastest releases in 2017 even scrambling & behind a sh!t OL.

I mean Deshaun is on record himself saying that his first year defenses were giving him base looks, typical what you see is what you get looks. Which is pretty typical for defenses to do against a new qb with no film on. This year teams started disguising a lot more, our line was worse in pass blocking, we pretty consistently could only put 2 or 3 guys out in routes how do they get open quickly against 6 or 7 in coverage? but yea the only thing that changed this season was Obrien being dumb

Yeah and your reading had you thinking Rick Smith's wife wasn't ill, it was all a ruse to fire him.

Never did I say that.

In fact I even said that I would keep her in my thoughts and prayers. (Which I did) I also wanted updates on her condition.

You really think I'm a sh!tty person at heart dont you. Obviously you dont know me like you think you do. Maybe I'm not the sh!tty person here.

Yes, Rick should've been fired after 2010 but this has nothing to do with his wife and I actually admire the McNair's for giving him a golden parachute and insurance so that he could focus on being with his wife.

Never did I say that.

In fact I even said that I would keep her in my thoughts and prayers. (Which I did) I also wanted updates on her condition.

You really think I'm a sh!tty person at heart dont you. Obviously you dont know me like you think you do. Maybe I'm not the sh!tty person here.

No, I think you get too enthusiastic. You must have asked 10 times in the last week 'where's RS' and said 'it speaks for itself' not willing to accept any explanation but that the Texans had wanted him gone and didn't want him back. And I'm sorry but you've said 100+ times something like 'well we see who is still here.' That argument only makes sense if you doubted the cancer. But you never would accept things at face value.

You lampooned those of us who said there were other possibilities. Sadly just yesterday I told you should be in remission and is in remission are not the same.

No, I think you get too enthusiastic. You must have asked 10 times in the last week 'where's RS' and said 'it speaks for itself' not willing to accept any explanation but that the Texans had wanted him gone and didn't want him back. And I'm sorry but you've said 100+ times something like 'well we see who is still here.' That argument only makes sense if you doubted the cancer. But you never would accept things at face value.

You lampooned those of us who said there were other possibilities. Sadly just yesterday I told you should be in remission and is in remission are not the same.

No need for me to respond to you

Good night sir and please stop responding to my posts anymore.

BTW, I notice you didn't respond to my request for you to listen to Doc's Cosell post.

Guys its just football, at the end of the day who the GM is doesn't matter, who the coach is doesn't matter, who the players are doesn't matter and whether the Texans win or not doesn't matter. This is all just for fun to pretty much 99% of us on this board. If the Smith's wife passing should have taught us anything its that there are more important things.

Wish the damn draft or F/A would hurry up so we can have some fun around here again. We have got to be the only damn team that tear each other apart after a winning season as if we just went 0-16. Even the damn Browns fans have had more unity than this over the last 4 years.

honestly lost all respect for you when you tried making up rumors about Watson struggling because he was out partying all the time, so yea I'll act like a blank all I want to someone who wants to openly slander someones character

Dude I know a joker that pretty damn cool with Will Fuller. His damn sister dates Fuller. So I don't give a flying bleep if you lost respect or even ever had it.

And there is nothing wrong with these youngsters partying all the freaking time. Hell when we were that age most of us done the same damn thing.

Slandering somebody's name. GTFOH with that bullcrap.

honestly lost all respect for you when you tried making up rumors about Watson struggling because he was out partying all the time, so yea I'll act like a blank all I want to someone who wants to openly slander someones character

Dude I know a joker that pretty damn cool with Will Fuller. His damn sister dates Fuller. So I don't give a flying bleep if you lost respect or even ever had it.

And there is nothing wrong with these youngsters partying all the freaking time. Hell when we were that age most of us done the same damn thing.

Pics or it didn't happen. :kitten:

Haven't read the whole thread here so I am going to ask a question that may have been answered previously.

Read a recent mock on NFL com that projected us taking Andre Dillard as our future LT.

Are you TT draftnicks in agreement with this.

:coffee:

Haven't read the whole thread here so I am going to ask a question that may have been answered previously.

Read a recent mock on NFL com that projected us taking Andre Dillard as our future LT.

Dillard is certainly in the discussion if Texans are interested in moving on from Julie'n Davenport. My suspicion is they are not, and will look to upgrade RT first.

My favorite OT in this draft behind Williams.

He has really good movement skills and is top notch in pass pro.

Like most rookies he needs to improve his strength in the run game.

He looks like a ballerina compared to Davenport.

I also like Greg Little and Yodny Cajuste at 23.

Dillard is certainly in the discussion if Texans are interested in moving on from Julie'n Davenport. My suspicion is they are not, and will look to upgrade RT first.

I think they will look to move on from Davenport, but may take a CB if one of the top ones fall to 23. I disagree with this philosophy but with next yrs schedule I can certainly understand it.

I read on the Bucs site that with the Pats only having 21 mil in cap room and having a bunch of FA's to re-sign (Trey Flowers in particular) that there's a good chance that they let Trent Brown walk, particularly since they drafted Wynn last yr to play LT for them.

CB in the 1st then Brown and a drafted RT in the 2nd and another CB in the 2nd is what I could see them doing.

Off to Eureka Heights.

I think they will look to move on from Davenport, but may take a CB if one of the top ones fall to 23. I disagree with this philosophy but with next yrs schedule I can certainly understand it.

I read on the Bucs site that with the Pats only having 21 mil in cap room and having a bunch of FA's to re-sign (Trey Flowers in particular) that there's a good chance that they let Trent Brown walk, particularly since they drafted Wynn last yr to play LT for them.

CB in the 1st then Brown and a drafted RT in the 2nd and another CB in the 2nd is what I could see them doing.

Off to Eureka Heights.

or trade 1 of those high picks for Xavien Howard if the rumors of the dolphins shopping him are true

Getting Brown in free agency would give Gaines tremendous latitude in the Draft. This is such a strong defensive Draft it could turn out that there's a tremendous talent, a big surprise on our Board at 23, you know top 5 type talent.
I dunno wonder how much it will take to land Brown in FA, but who knows if the Texans really like him that much ?

Getting Brown in free agency would give Gaines tremendous latitude in the Draft. This is such a strong defensive Draft it could turn out that there's a tremendous talent, a big surprise on our Board at 23, you know top 5 type talent.
I dunno wonder how much it will take to land Brown in FA, but who knows if the Texans really like him that much ?

I could see Pats letting Brown go, they know that Brady doesn't have that many more years left and when he goes they are either going to have to have caught lighting in a bottle with his back up or go into at least a mini rebuild. Being in cap hell and having either 31 or 32 in the draft means that they might be willing to let a vet. go in favor of getting a young guy that can be ready to guard whom ever steps into Brady's shoes.

Won't be sad with Dillard.
Will be ecstatic if Risner finds himself in a Texans uni - best OL in the draft for mine.

I would rather have Dillard after seeing CnD post about Risner's injury history. If I drafted Dillard and Risner fell to 50 I would probably trade up to get him even if I had signed Brown and drafted Dillard. That's what investing in your OL looks like.

I would also sign Verrett and Claiborne and hope Sheffield falls to the other 2nd rd pick. That's investing in your secondary.

Question: If you did this trading, would you be happy with Hardman or Hurd in the 5th rd? I would.

Did you get a chance to check out Harris the CB from Virginia. Injuries have haunted him, but he's another late rd guy I like alot.

It doesn't hurt if your trying to get the best players on your team.

Look at how the Eagles/Rams were built.

Lots of trade ups other than QB?

Every year you look at the front runners and say 'look at them.' How about them Jags?

I'm not against trading up if needed. But that's a draft day decision on necessity not some test of commitment 3 mos out.

And it can hurt. You're trading at least 1 player away for hopeful improvement in 1 player. The 5th best G instead of 4th, plus a starting RB may be better overall. You're somewhat cavalierly trading away players like Reid, Coutee, Marlon Mack.

I would rather have Dillard after seeing CnD post about Risner's injury history. If I drafted Dillard and Risner fell to 50 I would probably trade up to get him even if I had signed Brown and drafted Dillard. That's what investing in your OL looks like.

I would also sign Verrett and Claiborne and hope Sheffield falls to the other 2nd rd pick. That's investing in your secondary.

Question: If you did this trading, would you be happy with Hardman or Hurd in the 5th rd? I would.

Did you get a chance to check out Harris the CB from Virginia. Injuries have haunted him, but he's another late rd guy I like alot.
Not quite up to speed on the draft yet.
Working on the OL for the time being tho.

Lots of trade ups other than QB?

Every year you look at the front runners and say 'look at them.' How about them Jags?

I'm not against trading up if needed. But that's a draft day decision on necessity not some test of commitment 3 mos out.

And it can hurt. You're trading at least 1 player away for hopeful improvement in 1 player. The 5th best G instead of 4th, plus a starting RB may be better overall. You're somewhat cavalierly trading away players like Reid, Coutee, Marlon Mack.

I get what your saying.

But they need to find a starting LT or atleast a RT and getting the best player you can to protect Watson is what I would do. Also if you can add a stud CB you should trade up and get him. Like you said it all depends on how the draft falls. But adding 2 stud players in these positions is worth losing a Coutee/Mack/Reid. We just have different philosophies. Give me an OT like Dawkins and a CB like White from Buffalo to start as rookies. (I'm using the Buffalo guys since Gaine was there when these guys were drafted.) If you've gotta trade up to get these guys depending on how the draft falls you do it.

Gotta do everything possible to not have Watson taking 62 sacks next yr and find a young CB that can do a much better job of covering the top WR's. You know the type of CB Ricky thought he was drafting when he drafted KJo.

Good times are ahead.

IBut adding 2 stud players in these positions is worth losing a Coutee/Mack/Reid. We just have different philosophies. Give me an OT like Dawkins and a CB like White from Buffalo to start as rookies. (I'm using the Buffalo guys since Gaine was there when these guys were drafted.) If you've gotta trade up to get these guys depending on how the draft falls you do it.

Gotta do everything possible to not have Watson taking 62 sacks next yr and find a young CB that can do a much better job of covering the top WR's. You know the type of CB Ricky thought he was drafting when he drafted KJo.

Good times are ahead.

Mack?

You know the type of CB Ricky thought he was drafting when he drafted KJo.

He may have been without the injuries. He flashed well as a rookie.

Marlon Mack was drafted with the next to last pick of the 4th (a compensatory pick) and led the league in rushing after coming off injury. 908 yds @ 4.7 ypc, 9 TDs in 12 games/10 starts.

Just a different philosophy. I generally have to be damned enamored & fairly certain to move up...for a specific player.

Having said that, not fond of passing on good players to trade back just to trade back. Need the Duane Brown scenario where they believe their target will still be there.

Marlon Mack was drafted with the next to last pick of the 4th (a compensatory pick) and led the league in rushing after coming off injury. 908 yds @ 4.7 ypc, 9 TDs in 12 games/10 starts.

Just a different philosophy. I generally have to be damned enamored & fairly certain to move up...for a specific player.

Having said that, not fond of passing on good players to trade back just to trade back. Need the Duane Brown scenario where they believe their target will still be there.
I'm liking Brian Gaine - he obviously put the work in last draft and now I can't wait to see what he does in this next one with a 1st and two 2nds.

Edoga is that player this yr.

He's got alot of the same traits as D. Brown.

Very raw just like DB was but very talented. A ball of clay that's there to be molded. I'm pretty sure Devlin isn't the guy I want molding him though. SMH

My favorite 2 targets for the OL, Mancz and McCoy. I like their smarts and nasty demeanor in finishing blocks. RT and interior lineman would be solid additions in this draft, while laying the foundation for solid improvement on the OL. The final piece this puzzle would need talent wise is Trent Brown or Donovan Smith to take over LT while Davenport gets another season of LOJ.

I think defensive talent is going to get hard and fast in this draft which could lead to lot of players falling towards the Texans. I'd be very happy if Gaine walked away from the first three rounds by adding CB's, Isaiah Johnson and Blace Brown.

I would definitely entertain the idea of drafting Dillard and/or Mullen in the first three rounds....if their on the board when the Texans pick. I just expect both to be gone before the 55th pick.

Back