Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

[Sources] OB & Smith relationship has worsened

Texan Fan's worst nightmare is Bill goes to the Jags to be with his BFF Doug Marrone . What would really stink if he takes the DC and a few others with him and they start kicking the Texans butt twice a year .

In a way I kinda hope this happens.

Sometimes you gotta hit rock bottom to realize the error of your ways so things can ultimately get better.

I'm not looking strictly at the record, but even if that is the end all be all, Romeo and the D in general is carrying his ass to 9-7. BOB is an offensive guru (supposedly) whose offenses have stunk. Put BOB's offense with the Raiders defense and you get the Cleveland Browns. Would he still look so good then? BOB offensive scheme is horrible. Hate it. Then you have all of the WTF play calls, the bad clock management, bad in game decisions, being consistently destroyed on national TV, and generally being schooled by good HC's week after week. Finally, the "QB guru" hasn't made any QB significantly better than his career suggests other than the beard. And the beard was summarily booted to the curb because he wasn't good enough - and he's been the best we've had to be honest.

So, God love you if you think BOB has been good. But I'll take the way under on that proposition.
No doubt our offense has been terrible and that is OB's specialty. We've also had garbage at the QB position every year OB has been here. If the rumors are true and he wasn't involved with the Os signing then how much fault should be placed on O'Brien for the shitty QB play this year? If Os was forced on OB then I would think very little and most of the blame should be on Rick Smith.

I'm not looking strictly at the record, but even if that is the end all be all, Romeo and the D in general is carrying his ass to 9-7. BOB is an offensive guru (supposedly) whose offenses have stunk. Put BOB's offense with the Raiders defense and you get the Cleveland Browns. Would he still look so good then? BOB offensive scheme is horrible. Hate it. Then you have all of the WTF play calls, the bad clock management, bad in game decisions, being consistently destroyed on national TV, and generally being schooled by good HC's week after week. Finally, the "QB guru" hasn't made any QB significantly better than his career suggests other than the beard. And the beard was summarily booted to the curb because he wasn't good enough - and he's been the best we've had to be honest.

So, God love you if you think BOB has been good. But I'll take the way under on that proposition.

To be fair,

Hoyer had his best season under BOB too.

61e56538ae096ab1ad6536973e4f2e56

Where was this sign located?

Somebody started up a go fund me page to fly a banner around town saying to fire Rick Smith. I heard it on the radio today. I cant find it but would contribute $50.

As did Fitzpatrick, to that point. He's had a better season since. Also Keenum if I'm not mistaken? Remember OB was able to perform the miracle Koob never could, win a game with Case.

Yep, BOB is one offseason from getting the OL fixed, playing Savage and drafting a QB. Finally having the offense he wants and we want. Too bad Rick McNair is going to run him out on the rails.

How many HC's does Little Ricky get to go thru before Uncle Bob has enough

Yep, BOB is one offseason from getting the OL fixed, playing Savage and drafting a QB. Finally having the offense he wants and we want. Too bad Rick McNair is going to run him out on the rails.

How many HC's does Little Ricky get to go thru before Uncle Bob has enough

Until the fans show him it is unacceptable. Don't hold your breath though.

If a new HC comes in here, fans will be pissed and then they'll get over it and force themselves to get excited for the new regime. Houston fans will never do it.

To be fair,

Hoyer had his best season under BOB too.

Not if you include the playoff game. :)

And he was playing better this year in Chicago then he was here BTW.

And another BTW - why was Os playing better last year in Denver then he did here?

Inquiring minds want to know.

I don't totally buy that Os was forced on BOB. I think McNair said you better go find a QB. Ricky found Os and "persuaded" BOB that he was the best option available. I don't think the deal happens unless BOB signs off on it. He's getting off way to easy in this thread imho.

As did Fitzpatrick, to that point. He's had a better season since. Also Keenum if I'm not mistaken? Remember OB was able to perform the miracle Koob never could, win a game with Case.

I'm not sure that's a compliment to OB. Case has a 7-7 record with the Rams. It's right in line OB's 9-7 consistency.

We have endured way worse than boring 9-7 playoff teams.

You mean like last year's 9-7 playoff team that gave us 30-0? :hmmm:

They're going to win this weekend, though, and the plot will just thicken as a result.

My main point was the offensive production this season, or rather lack thereof, has not inspired many to go into great depth of conversation.

I think Mcnair might get the hint Saturday when he has his lowest attendance ever for a play off game - and once oz starts zinging int's again and again and we lose to a rookie quarterback...
Well, the boo's will be so deafening the nation will notice. Expect the post game rhetoric and leaks to amp up. Things are about to get very ugly.

I'm surprised more hasn't been said about this.....
C1SaHmSUoAAxeVk.jpg:large

Seems like LZ is hinting that Smith is the leak.

I wonder if O'b leaked that Rick was going to be promoted out of the way last season & Rick is just firing back.

Truth is we know Rick can't "eliminate" O'brien. In this organization the HC does not report to the GM. Rick didn't hire him, Rick can't fire him.

People are putting too much into this.

"He'll go to JAX and kick our butts"

Lol. How? By wasting timeouts, challenges and throwing for 6 yards when you need 8?

I hope he goes intradivision .. defend the dive and play nickle blitz and you beat O'Brien ... it's a pretty easy team to prep for.

Here's the problem with that theory. It's been stated publicly that Smith and O'Brien each have say on the final 53, but that Smith has the deciding vote.

As those with experience in the military (and large corporations for that matter) can tell you...the deciding vote is ultimately the only one that counts.

No.

Rick brings in 90+ players in the offseason & manages the practice squad throughout the year.

O'b had the 53. O'b has the 46. O'b decides who plays & when.

Not if you include the playoff game. :)

And he was playing better this year in Chicago then he was here BTW.

And another BTW - why was Os playing better last year in Denver then he did here?

Inquiring minds want to know.

I don't totally buy that Os was forced on BOB. I think McNair said you better go find a QB. Ricky found Os and "persuaded" BOB that he was the best option available. I don't think the deal happens unless BOB signs off on it. He's getting off way to easy in this thread imho.

Not according to things that are starting to come out.

We will have to agree to disagree.

Why do you not believe it?

You put your trust in Ricky McNair over what these sources are reporting? After how Ricky did Kubes (His friend and the guy who got Ricky the job in the 1st place) I don't trust anything that comes out of Ricky's mouth. In fact from experience I hate doing business with these types of people.

Where was this sign located?

Somebody started up a go fund me page to fly a banner around town saying to fire Rick Smith. I heard it on the radio today. I cant find it but would contribute $50.
Won't do any good . Mcnair is counting cash in reliant. Fly it over mcnairs house

Ole Dale, where ya been? Why such a stranger these days?
Ole Dale, where ya been? Why such a stranger these days?

The O'Brien led Houston Texans aren't as lovable... I thought O'Brien was a great hire (still do, but I am less confident in that assessment), but I have not enjoyed watching the on field product as much, and I find myself less forgiving when they lose... Also, I'm coaching high school football now, and most of my football bandwidth from August-December is spent on that.

This thread is insane. I can't believe there are so many people on O'bs side of this.

I understand the hate on Rick is strong... but in this instance I think he's on the right side of this.

O'b has never designed a successful offense in the NFL, neither has Godsey. Neither developed a starting NFL QB.

We didn't draft a QB in 2014 because he wanted Hoyer. he's butt hurt now because Hoyer was cut.

O'b screwed up the QB situation royally the past two seasons. he should not have had any say on a new QB.

If McNair is pulling strings & forcing Osweiler on him, I don't agree with that.

& I'd be thrilled if O'b ended up in Jacksonville. personally I'd prefer he goes to New Orleans so he could leave his family in Houston. but other than that, c-ya.

Then yeah, if Rick leaked this crap at this time, McNair needs to handle that as well. but that has nothing to do with O'b screwing up the QB position to begin with & in case you forgot what I mean by that, I'll repeat... BRIAN HOYER.

This thread is insane. I can't believe there are so many people on O'bs side of this.

I understand the hate on Rick is strong... but in this instance I think he's on the right side of this.

O'b has never designed a successful offense in the NFL, neither has Godsey. Neither developed a starting NFL QB.

We didn't draft a QB in 2014 because he wanted Hoyer. he's butt hurt now because Hoyer was cut.

O'b screwed up the QB situation royally the past two seasons. he should not have had any say on a new QB.

If McNair is pulling strings & forcing Osweiler on him, I don't agree with that.

& I'd be thrilled if O'b ended up in Jacksonville. personally I'd prefer he goes to New Orleans so he could leave his family in Houston. but other than that, c-ya.

Then yeah, if Rick leaked this crap at this time, McNair needs to handle that as well. but that has nothing to do with O'b screwing up the QB position to begin with & in case you forgot what I mean by that, I'll repeat... BRIAN HOYER.

I seriously doubt signing Hoyer precluded the Texans from drafting a QB.

I think Mcnair might get the hint Saturday when he has his lowest attendance ever for a play off game - and once oz starts zinging int's again and again and we lose to a rookie quarterback...
Well, the boo's will be so deafening the nation will notice. Expect the post game rhetoric and leaks to amp up. Things are about to get very ugly.
I think Rick Smith has both McNairs tied around his finger. They trust him and only him. Rick is the spin master. Maybe he gets in their dreams.

I can agree with you to the point of OB being behind the troubles at QB, but this offense is in trouble because of more than that. This may go back to wanting Garropolo behind Hoyer for a year (thinking Hoyer would be safe) and then being upset with having to take Os when he wasn't sure about Savage. But Os couldn't manage his offense at all. But the OL is terrible at run blocking and not a lot better in pass pro. That's on RS for not providing the personnel and coaching

Who controls the draft and drafting players? I thought you said Rick had control of that so that falls on Rick. Plus if the rumor is true OB Jimmy G but Slick Rick said he would be there in the third who's fault is that? When it comes to Rick there has been this "awe shucks better luck next time. Not my fault."

The mob wants Rick to go too if OB goes. I think that is where the outcry for OB is. Plus, this is a coach who has had nothing but winning seasons and two divisional banners. I thought that meant something.

I can agree with you to the point of OB being behind the troubles at QB, but this offense is in trouble because of more than that. This may go back to wanting Garropolo behind Hoyer for a year (thinking Hoyer would be safe) and then being upset with having to take Os when he wasn't sure about Savage. But Os couldn't manage his offense at all. But the OL is terrible at run blocking and not a lot better in pass pro. That's on RS for not providing the personnel and coaching

And that's another thing whose responsible for Osweiler? OB or Rick?

Good points. but remember the only NFL experience Frick & Frack have managing an offense included Tom "the goat" Brady.

First time developing an offense. First time developing a QB. I can imagine there are going to be some bumps in the road.

Honestly, I think the guy could become a good head coach. This is a mentally tougher team than its ever been & that's why McNair picked him. But he needs to work with Smith, while not great he's a better talent evaluator... & he needs a true offensive coordinator. Charlie Weis, Chan Gailey, Bruce Arians... somebody.

Good points. but remember the only NFL experience Frick & Frack have managing an offense included Tom "the goat" Brady.

First time developing an offense. First time developing a QB. I can imagine there are going to be some bumps in the road.

Honestly, I think the guy could become a good head coach. This is a mentally tougher team than its ever been & that's why McNair picked him. But he needs to work with Smith, while not great he's a better talent evaluator... & he needs a true offensive coordinator. Charlie Weis, Chan Gailey, Bruce Arians... somebody.

Agreed. I think that Godsey is not ready for an OC position yet and OB ain't a great one. I'd like a new OL coach as well.

BOB is a good coach, who somehow made the playoffs with some of the worst QB play I've seen with a terrible OL. Who's responsible for adding the talent?

Where we disagree is according to reports BOB had Os forced upon him by Rick McNair after Bob McNair told Ricky to find him a QB after the Hoyer debacle. At the time some said the Os signing was a knee jerk reaction by Bob McNair to the Hoyer debacle. We were just hoping he would get lucky the Os would be the best QB in Texans history. (A really low bar)

I also want a new OC, BOB's friend and great OL coach Doug Marrone. Unfortunately it doesn't look like that's going to happen since Ricky McNair appears to have run another HC out of town to keep his power. Sad really and no way to build a winning org.

I think Rick Smith has both McNairs tied around his finger. They trust him and only him. Rick is the spin master. Maybe he gets in their dreams.
I think they are aspiring sea org and Rick is an operating thaten and they can't fire him because he'll file a knowledge report on them and bring down the ethics. I can't think of any other Logical business reason why they keep him.

Right or wrong it really shouldn't be a surprise. Rick has built up a lot of bad will over the years.

O'Brien has been incompetent for the last 3 years...Smith has been incompetent for the last 10.

I've said to fire them all for a long time now.

Both Rick McNair and O'Brien are Mediocre at best.

Some says Kubiak won the SB last year on the strength of his D.
Well, the two main reasons the Texans have the 9-7 record the last 3 years are the D and the suckage of the AFC South.

Put them in the AFC West this year and they would at best manage a 3-3 division record this year, and a losing season.

What an inept organization.
Nobody deserves his salary, let alone being defended.
Shame, shame, shame. :ahhaha:

I've said to fire them all for a long time now.

Both Rick McNair and O'Brien are Mediocre at best.

Some says Kubiak won the SB last year on the strength of his D.
Well, the two main reasons the Texans have the 9-7 record the last 3 years are the D and the suckage of the AFC South.

Put them in the AFC West this year and they would at best manage a 3-3 division record this year, and a losing season.

What an inept organization.
Nobody deserves his salary, let alone being defended.
Shame, shame, shame. :ahhaha:

I don't know about "all" but I've wanted Rick fired since he busted on Amobi Okoye or however you spell his name, among a host of 2nd-3rd round draft choice busts for years on end! Long before OB was a twinkle in McNair's eye. Every season is a distraction from the ones prior, but not for me. Rick has to go!

The O'Brien led Houston Texans aren't as lovable... I thought O'Brien was a great hire (still do, but I am less confident in that assessment), but I have not enjoyed watching the on field product as much, and I find myself less forgiving when they lose... Also, I'm coaching high school football now, and most of my football bandwidth from August-December is spent on that.

Texans are gonna be the Texans man. Lol!

Nice to see you back.

Rick should have been fired with Gary they were both responsible for the roster that went 2-14, but McNair gives his boy Ricky a pass.

Now on BOB this is not a good football team they are lucky this division is so god awful so they could sneak in the playoffs back to back years. The offense is getting worse instead of better is that BOB or Rick's fault or should they both be blamed.

I don't like the idea of Rick still being around for his 3rd head coach with the mediocre product the Texans put on the field year after year. Its time for this organization to move in a different direction and I wish it was with a strong GM who hires a coach to carry out his philosophy.

The direction of last year's draft. Whos idea was it to draft 2 wrs in the top 3 picks and focus on speed overall? Told everyone we should of been building the trenches and people scoffed at me saying, you have to give the new QB weapons. Lol. It was a good year for the trenches last year and we came away from the draft with one possible starter, a C.

Where were all the Smith detractors then? Now they want him fired because he didnt fix the line. Lol.

Here's the problem with that theory. It's been stated publicly that Smith and O'Brien each have say on the final 53, but that Smith has the deciding vote.

As those with experience in the military (and large corporations for that matter) can tell you...the deciding vote is ultimately the only one that counts.

Okay, well have fun thinking that Bill O'Brien didn't want and isn't responsible for Mallett and Hoyer and Wilfork and all "the speed!" and all the other crap decisions in the last 3 years.

I have no idea why some people insist on giving this guy a pass on everything and continue to place completely baseless trust in him and his vaunted system that doesn't exist. He's one of the biggest frauds ever perpetrated on football and I have literally no clue why. None.

I just...I don't get it. People point to three straight straight 9-7 seasons with a "crap roster" and "crap QB's" and all the situations HE is responsible for, never taking the time to realize that this team has either blown game after game after game after ******* game or no-showed game after game after game after ******* game against the best competition. 9-7 means crap when you should be 13-3 or 14-2 with even a semi-intelligible identity and offensive performance. But no I guess, cuz "doesn't matter Brian, AFC South champions two years in a row Brian" or some ****. I guess hollow records and playoff rapings and perpetual piss-poor performances are enough to grant a benefit of a doubt for whatever the **** reason.

There is no coherent identity to this team. Nothing. Three years in there is nothing. Well, actually, the identity is that our team continues to be a ******* joke that gets hyped year after year after year and fails spectacularly because we're run by clowns and coached by clowns. A losing culture perpetuated by losers. We're a footnote to the league and nothing this guy has supposedly done has earned even the slightest shred of respect or credibility throughout the league. Hilarious considering this guy and this regime was brought in first and foremost to bring legitimacy to our franchise. For whatever reason this ability was bestowed on him by fans, management and media alike despite absolutely ******* nothing pointing to this.

And if it was Kubiak or Capers doing this **** (which they did) they'd be annihilated and ran out of town (they were, deservingly of course). It could be anyone else in the league and the same would happen. Oh but not Bill O'Brien. Same mismanagement same miscues same underperformance same garbage playcalls same blown games same big game failures and yet the guy gets nothing. For whatever reason.

Last edited:
There's a site called Pro Football Reference. Go there. Pick the 2012 season and then click on 'Starters and Roster'. Those asterisks are the 7 offensive probowlers that were on the team when O'Brien signed on. That doesn't include Hopkins and Brooks. You were saying about 'inherited'?

Scooter, I honestly think we are not on the same topic. I responded to a post where it was asserted that Smith made a horrible move in getting ride of Kubiak/Wade because they ended up winning a SB with another team. Correlation does not equal causation. The Kubiak/Wade firing wasn't undeserved. They had those 7 offensive Pro-Bowlers that OB "inherited" and went 2-14. Just because they stepped into a great situation in Denver and ended up with a ring doesn't make their firing in Houston any less valid.

That is the only point I am trying to make. This isn't about Kubiak v. OB or anything that OB has done to this point as HC of the Texans.

Who controls the draft and drafting players? I thought you said Rick had control of that so that falls on Rick. Plus if the rumor is true OB Jimmy G but Slick Rick said he would be there in the third who's fault is that? When it comes to Rick there has been this "awe shucks better luck next time. Not my fault."

JimmyG should have been there in the third. But I don't believe Garoppolo was O'bs guy. I mean, we're supposed to believe O'b was upset because he was stuck with Savage, & now he's upset because Savage is his guy, but can't play him.

Really? Makes him seem finicky.

The mob wants Rick to go too if OB goes. I think that is where the outcry for OB is. Plus, this is a coach who has had nothing but winning seasons and two divisional banners. I thought that meant something.

It does mean something. Good, but not good enough. If McNair believes his HC & his GM need to get along to win it all, it would tell me McNair is serious about winning it all. Now if I got a head coach who rubber stamps crap in the spring, then shows his ass in the fall... can't win with people like that. Can't do it.

And that's another thing whose responsible for Osweiler? OB or Rick?

They all are.

Last edited:
BOB is a good coach, who somehow made the playoffs with some of the worst QB play I've seen with a terrible OL. Who's responsible for adding the talent?

Where we disagree is according to reports BOB had Os forced upon him by Rick McNair after Bob McNair told Ricky to find him a QB after the Hoyer debacle. At the time some said the Os signing was a knee jerk reaction by Bob McNair to the Hoyer debacle. We were just hoping he would get lucky the Os would be the best QB in Texans history. (A really low bar)

I also want a new OC, BOB's friend and great OL coach Doug Marrone. Unfortunately it doesn't look like that's going to happen since Ricky McNair appears to have run another HC out of town to keep his power. Sad really and no way to build a winning org.

Where we disagree is I think a QB prospect should have been forced on O'b. He botched the position two years in a row. Giving him a third opportunity is the definition of insanity.

I also don't believe Rick has the juice to run a HC out of town.

I think McNair is smart enough to know what's going on & I wouldn't put it past him to tell O'b to get an offensive coordinator. He doesn't have to fire Godsey. Make him assistant to the assistant towel boy for all I care. Will O'b do like Mike Shanahan & stand by his man, or will he throw him under the bus (which he deserves). That's the question.

Back