[Sources] OB & Smith relationship has worsened

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by xtruroyaltyx, Jan 3, 2017.

1. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Hall of Fame

http://www.sbnation1560.com/sources-obrien-leave-houston-bad-relationship-rick-smith/

Audio in Link.

1560 Radio host Nate Griffin says he has sources that state OB may be out due to rocky relationship with Rick Smith.

Other key points from the audio if you don't want to listen:

- Hard Knocks crew noticed they didn't like each other much
    - Rick forced Os on OB
    - OB wanted to roll with Savage for the year
    - Only free agent OB had input on was Lamar Miller (seems strange to me)*
    - Kubiak had more control than OB does
    - Smith didn't want to have another head coach with more personnel power than him again
    - OB's relationship with Smith would be the reason he left

The Lamar Miller thing is strange to me. I don't understand why he'd be the only guy OB would have input on. Sounds like ass covering since Miller is the only one who has been decent.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
    thunderkyss and Hervoyel like this.
  2. Say Watt

Say Watt Site Contributor

Pretty much what many of us have assumed. If true, our only hope is that McNair actually holds Rick Smith accountable.

LOL.

I almost fooled myself for a minute.

NitroGSXR, 76Texan and PapaL like this.
  3. Earl34

Earl34 Veteran

Yes.
    Exactly. From his days with the Patriots, OB knows how to play the media game. A leak here or there. Whispers that he wants to leave. It's a distraction to create excuses for that terrible offense.

Last year, with the same players, the TEs were not even part of the offense. This year, they are. Did Smith tell him he needs to throw more to the TEs? No. It took him an offseason to fix the problem. He didn't or couldn't adjust during the season.

Expect Rick to leak something to the media. If I was McNair, I would just fire both of them.

4. Texecutioner

Texecutioner Hall of Fame

This was the exact list of rumors I saw on Social media today. I tried to post this very thread but I couldn't find this anywhere.

If this is all true, then this franchise is much worse than I ever expected, and Texian and Swtbound's theories about Mcnair are a little more accurate than what people including myself have wanted to agree with.

OB definitely has had his problems on offense and its been frustrating, but overall he has been a pretty solid coach to me. If he ends up leaving due to Rick Smith, then this organization is the biggest clown show in the NFL right there with the Browns. Rick Smith is such a god damn joke, I swear.

5. xtruroyaltyx

I don't know what to think anymore.

I really liked the OB hire, but I soured on him at the beggining of his second season and I wanted him fired after last season.

Now I'm not sure if all of this is his fault.

I mean....ALL of it never was his fault, but I do wonder if he could be a good head coach with a few tweaks here and there. There are a lot of qualities about OB that I like.

macho grande likes this.
  6. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

I just read this article, and thought it might be a bit made up to get page hits. Now, though, I'm wondering wtf is going on at Kirby:

Glazer: Could Bill O’Brien be the surprise firing?

Glazer says the two sides have never really meshed in Houston. Still, O’Brien has had success despite having holes on the roster. As John McClain of the Houston Chronicle explained this week on PFT Live, blame for the decision to sign quarterback
    Brock Osweiler falls to O’Brien and G.M. Rick Smith jointly.

If O’Brien goes (and it would be a mutual parting more than a firing) and Smith stays, Smith’s tenure would extend to a third head coach. Which would raise some eyebrows.

This is a whole lotta' smoke, so natural to wonder if it's a fire.

If they fire..err..."part ways" with O'Brien and keep Smith, I might be done.

7. xtruroyaltyx

Yeah....starting with the rumors about their relationship from last season and now all this stuff leaking....

Something is up...

Double Barrel likes this.
  8. Brisco_County

Brisco_County Texans worthy

All points make sense, but the frustrating one is forcing Osweiler on O'Brien.

At the end of last season, nobody doubted that Savage would be the next in line to start. Then Osweiler is thrown into the picture out of nowhere, and no one -- not fans, not media, not the FO -- could explain why Savage was snubbed. Now we get confirmation: Osweiler was never part of O'Brien's plan. O'Brien didn't want him. It's the one position that the coach should have the most decision making power over and he got none. Wow.

What would've been a worst case scenario if Tom Savage got hurt? Brandon Weeden. That's still better than Osweiler as starter.

If I were O'Brien, I would want to leave too. And if that happens, where does that leave the team? Romeo Crennel may go with him. Brilliant! And who would replace O'Brien? Who knows, the best candidates will already be picked over by eight other teams by the time our playoff run ends.

McNair, there's only one right move here: Fire your GM. At this point, it's not even a gut decision. Look at the stats and your flushed $37 million. Prove that you're a business man.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
    Texas Jake, ROO, macho grande and 7 others like this.
  9. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Me too

What made me curious is when they asked BOB if the rumors were true, his response was I've got a team to get ready for the playoffs and I'm not worrying about that. Interesting in that there wasn't a denial or a laugh at the question.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
    ROO, macho grande and disaacks3 like this.
  10. Hervoyel

Hervoyel BUENO!

That's what we most have to look out for right now. There's a lot of feces blowing in the wind right now and no matter who you like or don't like in the Texans organization there's no way anyone can possibly believe that this season has gone the way O'Brien, McNair, or Rick McNair wanted it to. Anyone who has any culpability here is going to be making sure that it's their lies that the media repeats most if possible.

Team Texans doesn't have a clear trail of accountability that they're willing to share with the rest of the world so we have only the clues, the leaks, and the speculation to put together a picture with so we're going to get some stuff wrong.

I believe that the two primary football people (I use that term loosely at this point about them both) are not guys I could readily see working together well. Looks may be deceiving but Rick and Bill don't look like either one of them would hire the other if given a choice. If some other source like the Hard Knocks people backed that up I'd be inclined to believe that they make it work rather than it working naturally.

Since we've been hearing weird stuff about who went out and got Os from the very start I totally believe the "Rick forced Os on OB" story. When he started talking about not speaking with Os (other than meeting him during joint practices with the Broncos a year before) prior to the Texans signing him every red flag in Houston went up.

I don't think the "roll with Savage for a year" thing is worth much but it might be true. I don't have any idea what Bill O'Brien looks for in a quarterback. I don't know if he wants one in a house, with a mouse, here or there or anywhere. He signs them old and signs them young, he likes tall ones, short ones, bearded ones, and bald ones. You know, about the only consistent thing with Bill O'Brien's choice of QB's so far has been he seems to have an affinity for guys who can't hit the broad side of a barn.

I don't even think the Lamer Miller signing is that big a feather in anybody's hat so I have no idea why O'Brien would want to single that out as the one he had input in. They went out and got Miami's change of pace back and fed him so much he damn near broke down and just barely topped a thousand yards? Big deal. Any reasonably talented RB can do this in today's NFL. You give the ball to Jonathan Grimes and it wouldn't be as pretty but I bet he could get a thousand yards in 268 carries.

I really believe most of the rest of it though. Smith got his job because of Gary Kubiak and he was subservient to Gary the whole time. I imagine it took a whole lot of ass kissing to transform him into "Rick McNair" and he's not going to sit idly by and see someone else come in here and run things their way. Whether this stuff is all true or not you won't get a replacement for O'Brien here worth anything until Rick's gone. Nobody worth a **** is going to want to deal with this and if O'Brien goes somewhere else and rattles off 10-11 wins the Texans are going to look like pretty stupid.

11. xtruroyaltyx

A like isn't enough. Had to quote this and say great post.

Shezza, macho grande and steelbtexan like this.
  12. Texecutioner

Way to early to be saying this. I mean waaaayy to early to be saying this man, but I can't help but think it. Did you read some of my posts in that "Kubiak is stepping down" thread? I had stated that I don't think we've seen the last of Kubes, and I don't. I was thinking that what if OB did get fired next year, and Kubiak wants to come back to coaching. I could easily see Mcnair hiring him back, and Smith would probably love that. Lol! If OB left this off season, then that wouldn't happen obviously, but if Kubiak were to come back in a season or two I could totally see Smithnair wanting to restore that regime again. The thought of that is so scary, that it actually makes me laugh my ass off though.

And as far as this little rumor, I believe every word of it. It sounds exactly like the Houston front office, and it was obvious to me that OB and Smith didn't like each other last season when they had that big fight over firing Mallet.

13. Brisco_County

As it should. Listen to your peers on this one, Bob.

If Rick Smith implemented a new balance of power simply because Kubiak had too much, then Rick overcompensated and hit the other guardrail. The wise approach would've been moderation and adaptation.

A successful GM has to enable the coach to achieve his vision, not impose his own vision on the coach.

Texas Jake, Dutchrudder, ROO and 9 others like this.
  14. texanhead08

texanhead08 Hall of Fame

The fact that Rick and Gary were tied at the hip is why they both should have been fired in 2013. Its pretty telling of how poorly run the Texans are that Bob McNair kept Rick but fired Gary when **** went south in 2013.

15. Texecutioner

Hey guys if OB leaves, I have a strong suspicion that he'll get a HC job with another franchise right away, and if not I think he ends up as the Patriots OC again since Mcdaniels is leaving. I'd love to see that again honestly, and I'd be stoked if he took Vrabel with him to be their new DC if Patricia gets a HC gig which could very easily happen since he already has like two or three interviews lined up this week.

macho grande and steelbtexan like this.
  16. Texecutioner

Especially one that had only one tenure as a GM where he failed miserably. Rick's experience as a GM before OB was bad experience.

17. Texecutioner

I think that he has shown that he is a good coach. 3 straight seasons of 9-7 is pretty good along with two AFC South titles. He just failed at finding a QB, but very few HC's are "hitting" on their QB choices these days any way. If the Texans had a QB the past 3 years I think they're a 12-4 type of team. They failed to go after Rivers and Garrapalo the past two off seasons though. I just wish that OB would get a totally new OC and let him do this thing.

18. Brisco_County

If O'Brien leaves, he's getting another job immediately. That's exactly why this leak happened: To give O'Brien leverage in this power struggle.

O'Brien bailing after the playoffs leaves the organization in a terrible position -- A much worse position than if Smith is fired. Smith has to go.

19. DX-TEX

DX-TEX #TomSavageDontCare

BOB will get another HC gig I have no doubts. Cant remember who but someone in the national media said last year when those early rumors hit that the Glazers in Tampa would be all over him to work with Jameis if the Texans moved on from him

20. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

I hatched this theory last year, sometime in October, when the wheels were coming off on defense and special teams... I recalled a peculiar Hard Knocks seen and went and rewatched it... It is the scene where OB and Rick Smith are discussing whether to keep Charles James III or the other CB (name eludes me now) and the two of them mutually agreed to cut Charles James III. I believe that scene was staged and there is one earlier (not caught on tape) and OB is fighting for Charles James but Rick Smith shoots it down. To add insult to injury, because James was the central storyline of Hard Knocks, OB was forced to recreate this meeting in front of the cameras.