Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Should the Texans pursue RGIII in the offseason?

I'd see the Texans going after the Sanchise before they went after RG3. Seems like a better fit.

He may not be a fit either, since I don't think they ever pursued him this past offseason.

Foles maybe, if the Eagles stick with Sanchez going forward.

Little hard on him aren't you?

Perhaps, but everything I said there I've either heard over and over again or seen over and again or both.

I like Robert. Loved him coming out in 2012. Drafted him for my fantasy football QB.

I argued with anyone that for that first half season or so Griffin was the best player in the NFL. I was that wowed by him.

But then he got injured. And then his medical staff and/or coaches failed him and compounded that injury into a career killer. And what were we left with?

Well, it looked like he was rebuilt: RG III: Strongman Competition I was impressed and hopeful.

But he did not know how to play QB any other way than what he brought into the league. Instead of teaching him the finer points of running the the Shaniak/ZBS System, Mike went to Baylor and brought his college offense to the NFL. So Robert was going to have to learn how to become a pocket passer from scratch. A tall order, achieved only (that I know of) by Steve Young under the tutelage of the great Bill Walsh.

It was only after this latest set of unfortunate circumstances that people started talking about his work ethic and "me"-centric issues. You can see it on the field: he does not play within the structure of his offense, he misses throws, he misses targets, his body language sucks.

RGIII has been unable, for whatever reason you choose to believe, to achieve the tall task of transforming from a run-QB to a pocket-QB after entering the big league. And my friend Dr. CND assures me he is irrevocably broken physically.

So, if the truth is hard... yeah, I was being hard on him. I think it's a bit of a sad story, honestly, as I'd been pulling for the kid and I feel like his doctors and coaches -- compounded by realities of the NFL -- let him down.

I'd still like to see him get a second chance in a WCO... one/three step drops, ball out quickly. It may be in DC. Perhaps this public airing of issues will mark the beginning of his rebirth. We'll see.

The Texans already have enough problems at the quarterback position... Why in the hell would you want to add another problem?

When the season is over, I'd like to hear that RGIII is taking steps towards improving as an NFL QB. Maybe reaching out to one of these organizations that help college QBs prepare for the combine, like that George Whitfield Jr guy. Or maybe reaching out to Bret Favre, or Steve Young, or even his own QB coach/OC. Go over some film with them, learn to read defenses like a coach, etc...

Nobody has time use a roster spot on him to teach him how to play the game.

Looks like I was wrong about RG3. I even declared that he would have a come back season this year after last season. I can't believe a guy that had the arm and mobility and strong head on his shoulders that he had coming out of college has ended up as a bust like this.

Forget it, he's rolling.

I think the truth is somewhere between Griffin being the answer and Griffin being done. He has tools. But not the tools he had entering the league. He needs to sit behind a vet for a year or two, get healthy, and soak in the knowledge. Denver would be good landing spot for Griffin. Houston needs someone that can win sooner than later.

Well when you're right, you're right and in this case I was wrong, so I will acknowledge it.

I would certainly take a flyer if the price is right on RGIII. But they have to eat the bulk of their ridiculous contract. He needs to be willing to take BACKUP, with potential to start money just like Mallett. There is no certainty that we will have more than two QBs next season unless Lewis signed a multi-year contract.

He did win the lottery by collecting most of his contract and leaving Baylor Baptist with a hot blond. He could walk away today and live better than most of us football junkies.

My only comment here is that Baylor is NOW Secular and has severed it's ties to the Baptists. It breaks my heart since is was the Alma Matter of my Grandfather and father back when it used to be a descent school instead of just another community of self absorbed arrogant fools that most of our Universities have become.

This organization is too stupid to pick up a quarterback that could take them super bowl. Let RG3 go to another team and get the change of scenery he needs. Let him win there so we can come back to this thread and talk about what could have been. That's what Houston football is all about.
: :backsout:

Well when you're right, you're right and in this case I was wrong, so I will acknowledge it.

I would certainly take a flyer if the price is right on RGIII. But they have to eat the bulk of their ridiculous contract. He needs to be willing to take BACKUP, with potential to start money just like Mallett. There is no certainty that we will have more than two QBs next season unless Lewis signed a multi-year contract.

So a trade is out of the question. Wed also have to allow him to clear waivers. .. he's still on his rookie deal. Can't be too much. Clowney was #1 overall three years later & he's o a 4 year $22 deal. RGIII has to be on a cheaper deal, should be affordable.

So a trade is out of the question. Wed also have to allow him to clear waivers. .. he's still on his rookie deal. Can't be too much. Clowney was #1 overall three years later & he's o a 4 year $22 deal. RGIII has to be on a cheaper deal, should be affordable.

Griffin only has $3.3M left on his contract for next year, the last year of his rookie's deal.
And $720K for the last 5 games this year.

I don't think it' s a bad idea to explore the feasibility of a trade.
It might be worth the risk.

Lewis signed a 1 year / $645,000 (salary) contract. No additional bonuses were included in the contract.

I really do find it painfully ironic that this fan base is so desperate for a good QB, but I continuously read threads and posts on here about us giving a shot to guys like Sanchez, Hoyer, Griffin, Cousins, and many others. That's a waste of time and only sets this franchise back even more.

Not one of those guys is better than Schaub in his prime. And Schaub in his prime, IMO, was never good enough to win a championship.

I don't feel that Mallett will end up being the guy but I can appreciate that they are giving a shot to an unproven guy with potential instead of a castaway who has already proven to be nothing more than mediocre.

If you're one of the ones who wants to give a shot to one of these guys then you might as well just ask to have Fitzpatrick back next year. It's the same result.

Griffin only has $3.3M left on his contract for next year, the last year of his rookie's deal.

Agreed. I started posting with the idea that Washington would have to eat most of his "ridiculous contract" then realized he's still on his rookie deal.

I really do find it painfully ironic that this fan base is so desperate for a good QB, but I continuously read threads and posts on here about us giving a shot to guys like Sanchez, Hoyer, Griffin, Cousins, and many others. That's a waste of time and only sets this franchise back even more.

Not one of those guys is better than Schaub in his prime. And Schaub in his prime, IMO, was never good enough to win a championship.

I don't feel that Mallett will end up being the guy but I can appreciate that they are giving a shot to an unproven guy with potential instead of a castaway who has already proven to be nothing more than mediocre.

If you're one of the ones who wants to give a shot to one of these guys then you might as well just ask to have Fitzpatrick back next year. It's the same result.

This^^^^^^ MSR

He has a $16M 5th year option that has to be decided by May. You either trade for him and decline the option (thus showing zero faith in him) or you trade for him and accept the option (thus taking a huge financial risk on him).

Co-sign, although the jury is still out on Mallett for me.

Yep. Not sure where the QB comes from if Mallet doesn't pan out, but I don't see it being any of these.

Yes we should. But we won't cause that's what the Texans do.

Yeah!!!!!!!!! Wait, don't tease me. :gun:

MSR here too (with jury out on Mallett)

Quaded, or quinted. Whatever the count is now.

I'm fairly confident Mallet or Savage will be our next Matt Schaub. Whether they can be more than that... I have no idea. What I hope, is that we don't "sit around" & wait for one of them to prove they are the guy.

Didn't take long for Green Bay to realize Rodgers was that guy, or for New Orleans to find out Brees was that guy. Didn't take New England long to find out if Brady is that guy. It didn't take Seattle more than a few months to realize they have their guy.

"The plan" should be to go forward & get this team to be a perennial play-off team with Mallett. Between now & the end of next season OB & Godsey has to decide if Savage is better/worse than Mallett. IF he's better, then he gets worked into the starting line-up. If not, we draft his replacement in the 2016 draft & repeat.

I'm fairly confident Mallet or Savage will be our next Matt Schaub. Whether they can be more than that... I have no idea. What I hope, is that we don't "sit around" & wait for one of them to prove they are the guy.

Didn't take long for Green Bay to realize Rodgers was that guy, or for New Orleans to find out Brees was that guy. Didn't take New England long to find out if Brady is that guy. It didn't take Seattle more than a few months to realize they have their guy.

"The plan" should be to go forward & get this team to be a perennial play-off team with Mallett. Between now & the end of next season OB & Godsey has to decide if Savage is better/worse than Mallett. IF he's better, then he gets worked into the starting line-up. If not, we draft his replacement in the 2016 draft & repeat.
I don't know if a quarterback like Matt Schaub is capable of winning a Super Bowl. Perhaps he was from 2009 to 2012 had he remained healthy. I think most of us want somebody who is better than Matt Schaub. We don't want to settle anymore. The funny thing is we could have had that guy a long time ago. It's our general manager's responsibility to bring in a franchise quarterback. That has never happened before. You have to have the talent first and then rely on the coaches to put them in positions to succeed. We have to stop being one of those teams which is looking for a system fit. A great quarterback can play in any system or he can change the system to better fit his talent. It should never be the other way around.

I don't know if a quarterback like Matt Schaub is capable of winning a Super Bowl. Perhaps he was from 2009 to 2012 had he remained healthy. I think most of us want somebody who is better than Matt Schaub. We don't want to settle anymore.

Neither do I. But I don't want to be Jacksonville all over again, or Arizona, prior to Arians.

I'm saying it was a mistake to draft Tj Yates hoping that he could one day replace Matt Schaub with "Matt Schaub" we should have drafted Mallett, or Wilson the following year, looking for "better than Schaub"

In the meantime, we need a Matt Schaub. Someone this team can win with, grow with, to get better. So that by chance we find a franchise QB he'll be set up to succeed. Not like what's going on in Jacksonville, or New York, or Washington.

Ryan & Romo have been this for Atlanta & Dallas. The problem is that they've overvalued them, which I hope we don't do with Mallet/Savage, & made it less likely for them to find a replacement.

Except for Seattle and New Orleans, I'm not sure what you're saying is actually an argument for your point.

Sure, Seattle thought they had their guy when they traded and paid a lot for Matt Flynn. They drafted a guy in the 3rd round as an insurance policy. But that guy in the third round ended up being the best of the lot and they surprised the world and went with him. So you're right. It didn't take them long to figure out he was the guy and it wasn't the guy they expected it to be.

Drew Brees was in his 6th season. He was known to be a pretty good starting QB with some upside... as long as he had recovered from his injury. The Saints took a shot and rolled the dice with him. The only other QB they had was journeyman backup Jamie Martin and they didn't draft a QB. They were betting the house on Brees and going all in. If he hadn't panned out, they probably would have tried to draft a franchise guy the next year.

Aaron Rodgers sat on the bench for 3 years. Imagine the outcry around here if we drafted someone in the first round and then we have him sit on the bench for 3 years. Talk about a bust. And then his first year as a starter, the team goes 6-10. Ooops.

Brady sat on the bench for a complete year. And he was the second stringer in his second year and wouldn't have seen the field if Bledsoe hadn't gotten injured.

So, I don't see how the Packers and Patriots "didn't take long" to figure out those guys were good.

Aaron Rodgers sat on the bench for 3 years. Imagine the outcry around here if we drafted someone in the first round and then we have him sit on the bench for 3 years. Talk about a bust. And then his first year as a starter, the team goes 6-10. Ooops.

Brady sat on the bench for a complete year. And he was the second stringer in his second year and wouldn't have seen the field if Bledsoe hadn't gotten injured.

So, I don't see how the Packers and Patriots "didn't take long" to figure out those guys were good.

The Packers practically pushed Favre out the door than wait another year for Rodgers contract to run out. The exact opposite of what New England did with Mallett & Brady.

In March of 2001, the Patriots signed Bledsoe to a 10 year $103M contract. When he was healthy to play again, the Patriots knew they found Bledsoe's replacement, regardless of the commitment they made to Bledsoe. Even after he replaced Brady & secured the win that got them to the 2001 Super Bowl. There was never a question about who would start in the Super Bowl. They knew. & it didn't take them a full season to figure it out.

Hey, I agree that the jury is still out on Mallett. That's why I'm totally cool with going into next season with him as the QB.

If I'm placing a bet though, I'd bet that Mallett won't be the guy in the end. That's based mostly on my evaluation of him in college, and I haven't seen anything as a pro to change my mind.

I also don't work for a NFL team, and I've been wrong before. Would love to be wrong on this one.

Hey, I agree that the jury is still out on Mallett. That's why I'm totally cool with going into next season with him as the QB.

If I'm placing a bet though, I'd bet that Mallett won't be the guy in the end. That's based mostly on my evaluation of him in college, and I haven't seen anything as a pro to change my mind.

I also don't work for a NFL team, and I've been wrong before. Would love to be wrong on this one.

I haven't seen anything in the pros to make a judgement on Mallett. It's very possible he could've made great strides under BB/Brady/McDaniels/BOB etc....

He did look pretty good in the Cleveland game.

Except for Seattle and New Orleans, I'm not sure what you're saying is actually an argument for your point.

Sure, Seattle thought they had their guy when they traded and paid a lot for Matt Flynn. They drafted a guy in the 3rd round as an insurance policy. But that guy in the third round ended up being the best of the lot and they surprised the world and went with him. So you're right. It didn't take them long to figure out he was the guy and it wasn't the guy they expected it to be.

Drew Brees was in his 6th season. He was known to be a pretty good starting QB with some upside... as long as he had recovered from his injury. The Saints took a shot and rolled the dice with him. The only other QB they had was journeyman backup Jamie Martin and they didn't draft a QB. They were betting the house on Brees and going all in. If he hadn't panned out, they probably would have tried to draft a franchise guy the next year.

rep for saving me some keystrokes
:)

I haven't seen anything in the pros to make a judgement on Mallett. It's very possible he could've made great strides under BB/Brady/McDaniels/BOB etc....

He did look pretty good in the Cleveland game

This is what I'm hoping for. I would love for Mallett to prove me wrong, trust me.

So we have Mallett (maybe), Savage, and who?

do you want Fitz back as the 3rd guy?
will Thad Lewis be brought back to compete in the spring? (I don't see it but anything's possible)
who else would you like to see here next spring competing for the third spot?

will Thad Lewis be brought back to compete in the spring? (I don't see it but anything's possible)

I'd keep Fitz for one more year. Despite his severe lack of talent, he's a pretty good guy to have for Mallett and Savage to talk to during the games and film sessions.

He's also a good enough teammate that he'd likely give it his all in that role, which makes him valuable with two young QBs on the roster who have combined for 1 NFL start.

Let's be honest, Fitz doesn't play QB like an Ivy league grad. But his brain is the only reason he's made it this far.

As long as O'Brien doesn't fell the urge to let him play I'd be fine keeping him here.

Fitz I think would be your #2 until Savage grew enough to beat him out. If his floor stays as high as it's been, he's a guy who could come in and win a game vs. a lesser opponent (TEN/JAX) for you if your QB bruises his breast.

McGloin, Hoyer, draft pick... ?

Yes we should. But we won't cause that's what the Texans do.

In what world should the Texans trade for Robert Griffin? Mike Shannihan selfishly robbed him of a promising career when he threw him out on a field on a bum knee in a attempt to save his own neck when it was clear he should've protected his player and shut him down.. Then the knee finally gave completely. Throw on his game tape pre injury and it's damn clear Griffin is a shell of himself and probably will never be the same.

The decision to not acquire him doesn’t have crap to do with "because that's what the Texans do", but more to do with "that's what they shouldn't do" if they can make a competent decision.. The guy just lost his job to Colt freaking Mccoy and his ego now drastically outweighs his ability to perform on the field to the point where he's become a cancer in the locker room and is alienating teammates. No thanks, Houston needs to look elsewhere.

Last edited:
I'd keep Fitz for one more year. Despite his severe lack of talent, he's a pretty good guy to have for Mallett and Savage to talk to during the games and film sessions.

He's also a good enough teammate that he'd likely give it his all in that role, which makes him valuable with two young QBs on the roster who have combined for 1 NFL start.

Let's be honest, Fitz doesn't play QB like an Ivy league grad. But his brain is the only reason he's made it this far.

As long as O'Brien doesn't fell the urge to let him play I'd be fine keeping him here.

:vincepalm: No the problem is sadly, Fitzpatrick does play QB like a Ivy League grad.

In what world should the Texans trade for Robert Griffin? Mike Shannihan selfishly robbed him of a promising career when he threw him out on a field on a bum knee in a attempt to save his own neck when it was clear he should've protected his player and shut him down.. Then the knee finally gave completely. Throw on his game tape pre injury and it's damn clear Griffin is a shell of himself and probably will never be the same.

The decision to not acquire him doesn’t have crap to do with "because that's what the Texans do", but more to do with "that's what they shouldn't do" if they can make a competent decision.. The guy just lost his job to Colt freaking Mccoy and his ego now drastically outweighs his ability to perform on the field to the point where he's become a cancer in the locker room and is alienating teammates. No thanks, Houston needs to look elsewhere.
Agree to disagree.

Agree to disagree.

Okay, that's fine.. But the biggest thing Griffin had going for him was his ability to make plays off schedule and make plays with his feet when things broke down.. He hasn't shown that ability post op.. So why should Houston trade or try to acquire him? In the game that Houston had against the Redskins earlier this season it was sad watching him try to move around behind center. He doesn't come close to looking like the same player that he was. People once argued he was better than Andrew Luck, now he's backing up Colt McCoy and might be cut.. He's not the same player.

Right now only Fitzpatrick and Savage are under contract for 2015 as for RGIII versus Mallet, based on what I know give me the guy who had most of a year of goodness versus a game of goodness, but methinks really that it is Gordon Gekko lesson

same dog different fleas...tell me about something I do not know already...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCV0srlnQkE

especially 2:00-3;50ish

Fitz I think would be your #2 until Savage grew enough to beat him out. If his floor stays as high as it's been, he's a guy who could come in and win a game vs. a lesser opponent (TEN/JAX) for you if your QB bruises his breast.

McGloin, Hoyer, draft pick... ?
Do you think the Browns will let Hoyer walk?

I'd like to see what Lewis brings to the table. I know what I have in Fitz and I ain't exactly thrilled with it.
And I have to wonder why O'Brien went and got Lewis... he must know something about him... Kolb, Quinn, Grossman, all former starters were available. Why Lewis over those guys? I want to know what he's got.

Do you think the Browns will let Hoyer walk?

I'd like to see what Lewis brings to the table. I know what I have in Fitz and I ain't exactly thrilled with it.
And I have to wonder why O'Brien went and got Lewis... he must know something about him... Kolb, Quinn, Grossman, all former starters were available. Why Lewis over those guys? I want to know what he's got.

Probably because he's familiar with O'brien's scheme, and feels that at this late point in the season it is especially important. O’Brien , then offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach at Duke coached him his freshman year.

QB Thad Lewis reunited with Bill O'Brien

If we don't get Mallett, I can see keeping Fitz & letting him & Savage "battle" it out for the starting job.

Savage is the #2 right now, putting him back on the scout team would be a demotion & serve no purpose for us. If Thad Lewis does not have practice squad eligibility (& he should, if Case does) I'd get an undrafted QB to fill the role next season.

If we do get Mallett & they don't feel Savage is a good back up to him... cut him loose, let Fitz finish out his contract, draft someone in the third or higher.

I'm only on board with bringing Ryan Fitzpatrick back for next season if he can play well in these final five games, and the Texans win them all to sneak into the playoffs with a 10-6 record. If that happens then he deserves it.

Back