Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Should the Texans pursue RGIII in the offseason?

Probably because he's familiar with O'brien's scheme, and feels that at this late point in the season it is especially important. O’Brien , then offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach at Duke coached him his freshman year.

QB Thad Lewis reunited with Bill O'Brien

Thanks for the info and the link. I didn't know O'Brien and Lewis were connected. Looking a little deeper into Lewis' past, he set career passing records at Duke although I have no idea how that offense compares to the one the Texans are running. This is his fifth team. Wonder why he never stuck...?

Thanks for the info and the link. I didn't know O'Brien and Lewis were connected. Looking a little deeper into Lewis' past, he set career passing records at Duke although I have no idea how that offense compares to the one the Texans are running. This is his fifth team. Wonder why he never stuck...?

Fitz's fifth team also... coincidence? I think not! :cheese:

I'm only on board with bringing Ryan Fitzpatrick back for next season if he can play well in these final five games, and the Texans win them all to sneak into the playoffs with a 10-6 record. If that happens then he deserves it.

I'm not OK with Fitzpatrick coming back if he's going to be the starter... unless every other possible solution falls through. I'm OK with him coming back as the #2 or, preferably, the #3 if we're going to keep 3 and we want him in the QB room with Savage and whoever the #1 guy is.

I'm not OK with Fitzpatrick coming back if he's going to be the starter... unless every other possible solution falls through. I'm OK with him coming back as the #2 or, preferably, the #3 if we're going to keep 3 and we want him in the QB room with Savage and whoever the #1 guy is.

Fitz should be kept around as a "that's what not to do" example

I would be fine with getting RG III. He should be attainable for a third or even a fourth rounder. He needs good coaching, a fresh start and some confidence. He still has pro bowl talent... But most of all, we need a QB. Bad. Perhaps it's Mallet (sucks, that we don't get a better look at him), perhaps its Savage (sucks that we don't get any look at him) - but probably not. We won't be in the position to draft a top talent. So I'd be fine with taking a flyer at him. Cut Fitzpatrick and let the other 3 battle it out in camp. Make someone earn the spot.

I would be fine with getting RG III. He should be attainable for a third or even a fourth rounder. He needs good coaching, a fresh start and some confidence. He still has pro bowl talent... But most of all, we need a QB. Bad. Perhaps it's Mallet (sucks, that we don't get a better look at him), perhaps its Savage (sucks that we don't get any look at him) - but probably not. We won't be in the position to draft a top talent. So I'd be fine with taking a flyer at him. Cut Fitzpatrick and let the other 3 battle it out in camp. Make someone earn the spot.

No more than a conditional 6th that Mallett got. Even that is high at this point for all the reasons pointed out by other posters.

catvomit-380x286.jpg

I don't believe he will ever be a pro bowl talent again. His knee is gone & he'll never be able to move like that again.

& I wouldn't call a third round pick a flyer. Not in this case.

Based upon what? A healthy Griffin was clearly superior to a healthy Bradford. Griffin may never get back to where he was. Bradford was never much of anything to begin with.

Griffin was clearly the better athlete & that athleticism definitely opened some things up for him & helped him win some games. But it is exactly that style of play that we know will get him hurt.

When he was drafted, it was my expectation that he would be able to use that athleticism to win games, giving him time to learn to be a pocket passer. His injury to his knee, & his ankle pretty much took that away from him & now we're seeing how little patience there is (without winning) for him to get to the next level.... to where Bradford is.

Bradford's issue is that he's injury prone. If he can stay healthy, most believe he can be a good QB in the NFL.

I don't think OB is the right coach for a mentally frail hype machine that needs constant love and reassurance. Not to mention his fundamentals suck... Pass

But isn't the immortal Thaddeus Lewis much more of a scrambling QB than the stand-in-the-pocket type?

If so, that means OB isn't wedded to any one style of play at the position, right?

(And if he is wedded to one style of play, that strikes me as pretty self-defeating.)

Are you suggesting that Lewis is a scrambling QB because he's black? He isn't a rusher at all. He's a pocket guy. Watch some film and check his stats.

BoB would look at RG3 if he thinks he could help the team. I don't think he's going to be married to a specific type of QB, but RG3 has never shown that he could be a great QB except one year at Baylor. He had a good rookie season, but its wasn't great. That doesn't mean he couldn't become great, though. I think the biggest knock against him is being brittle. He had injuries in college and in all 3 of his NFL seasons. He'd have to be released and signed cheap for me to want to bring him in.

Based upon what? A healthy Griffin was clearly superior to a healthy Bradford. Griffin may never get back to where he was. Bradford was never much of anything to begin with.

Last 2 years....

Bradford
14 TD's
4 INT's
61% Completions
90.9 QB Rating

Griffin
18 TD's
15 INT's
62% Completions
82.9 QB Rating

Quit throwing out the "healthy Griffin" qualifiers. He's nothing without his legs. He has gotten worse every year and it started when Shanahan was forced to abandon that gimmicky spread offense because of injuries. He's healthy right now and just got benched for Colt McCoy. Bradford has made improvements in his game over the last few years despite not being healthy. Griffin has only gotten worse.

you guys are crazy. If we could get Griffin for a 3rd I would jump all over it. He is far from washed up. He hasn't fully recovered from his injury. Sitting out the rest of this year is the best thing that could happen to him. He will be back and he will be good and all the nay sayers will be like Cowboy fans after a loss, invisible.

You are basing that assessment on his rookie season in the NFL or his college career. His success as a rookie was built (like his college success) almost entirely on the zone read running threat. In two seasons since that injury, he seems physically, mentally, emotionally fragile and has alienated both head coaches, lost 80% of his games started, and demonstrated poor decision-making and passing inaccuracy.

You are basing that assessment on his rookie season in the NFL or his college career. His success as a rookie was built (like his college success) almost entirely on the zone read running threat. In two seasons since that injury, he seems physically, mentally, emotionally fragile and has alienated both head coaches, lost 80% of his games started, and demonstrated poor decision-making and passing inaccuracy.

Cuz he spent his rehab time by sucking up to Dan Snyder :kitten:

RGIII makes Keenum look like a pro-bowler when it comes to reading a defense. No thanks

I like the guy, but to me, it looks and sounds like he needs to allow himself to be coached. It seems he thinks he can rely on athleticism alone.

Like Clowney, the dude's got some growing up to do

If we wanted him to play the Jose Lima role. (One good year and a commercial) Hopefully we're looking for more than that. I might send a 5th or lower but I would rather use a 4th or higher on OL/TE/WR's that could help out Savage or Mallet than bring him in here. I have watched a couple of his games and I just don't see anything that makes me think "If you fix this one thing he's a top 10 QB".

If you teach him some fundamentals, to read a defense, to make better decisions with the ball and to take care of the football he could be great. That sounds like a job for a college recruiter not an NFL team that wants to make some runs into the playoffs in the near future.

Mike

I'd imagine any quarterback with potential will be linked to the Texans. We should pursue all options this off-season, including Sam Bradford if the Rams part ways with him. Robert Griffin III is a no-brainer for the Texans to at least seriously consider if he becomes available.

Bulls on Parade with all due respect no way does the Texans want Bradford. Guy is always out and has held the Rams franchise back for year. I say no.

RGIII is a no way, no how. I wouldn't pay for his contract with Burt Reynold's American Express card.

I couldn't believe this thread got started, and really can't believe a couple of you entertain the thought.

I think we have a real shot at both RG111 and Eli Manning nest year. So the real question is which of those two for the right price would you want?:thinking:

I think we have a real shot at both RG111 and Eli Manning nest year. So the real question is which of those two for the right price would you want?:thinking:
I'd take a pass on both of them. I'll take Mallett and Savage over those two.

Do not want RGIII. Period.

Eli? Eh? I've never particularly liked Eli. He's too streaky. He can look so bad and ill-prepared at times. If OB thought he could work with him, fine; but I wouldn't look at him as solving our QB problem. He would just be the next evolution of it.

Do not want RGIII. Period.

Eli? Eh? I've never particularly liked Eli. He's too streaky. He can look so bad and ill-prepared at times. If OB thought he could work with him, fine; but I wouldn't look at him as solving our QB problem. He would just be the next evolution of it.
Eli is Fitz with a touch of Manning pixie dust. A step backward with :Lombardi: visions. Eli is the luckiest QB I've ever seen.

A more likely prospect for the Texans to pursue - there's talk that the Texans should go after Eli Manning, who will likely be on the trading block this next off season.

(edit) I'm a bit slow. I just noticed the comments, only an hour old, on this possibility.

Maybe Seattle will trade Russell Wilson. All we need is a game manager and that’s all he is and they can find a new one in any old round.

Maybe Seattle will trade Russell Wilson. All we need is a game manager and that’s all he is and they can find a new one in any old round.

I bet GB would take Clowney, Newton and a #1 for Rogers :kitten:

Uh.. RGIII, Eli Manning.... Wilson doesn't fit. He's winning.

Nah, we should set our sights on Jay Cutler, or Cam Newton.

They should because he's cheap,young, and has a great arm. His confidence has been shaken, but competition is the greatest assett to have. He and Mallett can battle it out for the starting qb.

I would sign Manning up tomorrow if he became available. He's been very good most of this yr with a crappy OL. I cant see how with the Texans /Fans not having a proven QB wouldn't want a 2 time proven to be clutch SB winning QB on the team? Are these the same fans that wouldn't have traded for Brady earlier this yr because he was supposedly washed up?

No on RG3.

Back