Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Selection 1.11: JJ Watt DE Wisconson

Wade said at the draft party that Watt will play situational nose when it's obvious passing downs. Said Mario may be a rush linebacker at times as well.

I've seen him swat double teams like flies. I wouldn't be surprised if Wade has found his strong, quick NT..............and he's SMALL too!!:D

I guess this pick is growing on me. At first it was meh but now it looks to be a good solid pick.

I mean it never hurts to have guys with a non-stop motor. We always talk about we need emotion and toughness on our defense, well this guy looks the part. The more Cushing/Ryans type of players we get on this team the better.

I guess this pick is growing on me. At first it was meh but now it looks to be a good solid pick.

I mean it never hurts to have guys with a non-stop motor. We always talk about we need emotion and toughness on our defense, well this guy looks the part. The more Cushing/Ryans type of players we get on this team the better.

Might rub off on Mario.... :kitten:

Might rub off on Mario.... :kitten:

This is exactly what I was thinking but I didn't want to start up some Mario debate. I also realize he was also hurt last year which may explain his disappearances at times.

But still other players on the Dline could learn a thing or two from guys like Cushing and apparently Watt *coughamobicough*

I don't give a two shits if he never gets a single sack so long as he collapses the pocket and gets lots of pressure on the QB on a consistant basis.

Yeah no crap. I guess Tkiss never heard of a guy that took over the majority of the sacks for the Dallas Cowboys by the name of Demarcus Ware.

The only learning Amobi will be doing from Cushing and Watt will be from watching the Texans on TV. His ass is done in H-Town.

Good strong pick. Not what I expected because I thought we'd be cool with Mario and Smith as our ends. But this kid's a beast.

I don't hate this pick.

I would have preferred Quin but I understand the reasons behind not taking him.

J.J. Watt is one of the best athletes in the entire draft. How the heck does he have a "low ceiling"?

I love the pick. Now we need to back up that back 7 in round 2.

Wow, reading comprehension is non-existent with this one. Read the quote again goober.

licorice-man-o.gif

Herpaderp

J.J. Watt is one of the best athletes in the entire draft. How the heck does he have a "low ceiling"?

I love the pick. Now we need to back up that back 7 in round 2.

People are just saying that because he is white. Same thing goes for Kerrigan and Reed. Their measurables are just as good as some of the so called elite athletes at their positions. Because they are white they get tagged as "high effort" players.

Watt was my second rated player on the DL. Kerrigan was number 2 at OLB (for our hybrid 3/4) ahead of Quin and Smith. Reed is 4th.

Since I started studying the draft, this is the first time the Texans have picked my guy.

Say bye bye to Mario Williams.

Since I started studying the draft, this is the first time the Texans have picked my guy.

Say bye bye to Mario Williams.

I have been preaching this for awhile. Both Mario and Smith have both expressed concern about playing in a 3/4. I could see one or both of them pouting and causing problems if they dont get off to a good start. Smith is the more likely to stir the pot IMO.

Hell maybe one of them already has and that is why we drafted Watt. If we draft another 5 I guess that will answer that question.

He is saying sacks aren't everything when playing a 3-4 DE. Don't need sacks as a 3-4 DE to be dominate, just need to be dominate period and Watt can be that type of player. Defiantly has the motor and desire to do so.

Thank you, but no that is not at all what I am saying.

If we were playing in the 4-3 & we needed a pass rusher opposite Mario this would make sense.

This is one pick outside of the top ten. This should be an impact player. Most DEs hate converting to a 3-4, because DE is not an impact position.

People were concerned that Mario would be upset about switching to a 3-4. They are saying Antonio Smith is not happy about playing in a 3-4, even though he has no problem sliding inside in a 4-3.

4-3 DE, impact player. 3-4 DE...... not.

It's like Tackles wanting to play LT, not RT. Or corners wanting to play corner, & not safety.

Thank you, but no that is not at all what I am saying.

If we were playing in the 4-3 & we needed a pass rusher opposite Mario this would make sense.

This is one pick outside of the top ten. This should be an impact player. Most DEs hate converting to a 3-4, because DE is not an impact position.

People were concerned that Mario would be upset about switching to a 3-4. They are saying Antonio Smith is not happy about playing in a 3-4, even though he has no problem sliding inside in a 4-3.

4-3 DE, impact player. 3-4 DE...... not.

It's like Tackles wanting to play LT, not RT. Or corners wanting to play corner, & not safety.

We play a 1 gap 3/4 where the DE's are expected to penetrate, not take up blocks like most 3/4's.

I see Antonio Smith as the one being gone. He bitched about being in the 3-4 the day Phillips was hired. I just don't think he fits.

We play a 1 gap 3/4 where the DE's are expected to penetrate, not take up blocks like most 3/4's.

Kinda like they did in Dallas?

or San Diego?

Marcus Spears. 8 sacks. 6 seasons.

Igor Olshansky. 12.5 sacks in 7 seasons (playing for Wade for most, if not all of it).

i hope this means that we go after ASO in free agents

jerrymcd said:
Houston taking JJ Watt instead of Amukamara means they're preparing gigantic offer for Nnamdi Asomugha

Not sure if he was just making a quib, due to us passing on one of the top CB in the draft...

But, he's a NFL sports writer for the Raider. So it's FWIW.

I have been preaching this for awhile. Both Mario and Smith have both expressed concern about playing in a 3/4. I could see one or both of them pouting and causing problems if they dont get off to a good start. Smith is the more likely to stir the pot IMO.

Hell maybe one of them already has and that is why we drafted Watt. If we draft another 5 I guess that will answer that question.

Its just a gut feeling, y'all, but given Mario's salary and the fact that he's complained already, I think he get traded.

Hagar are you drunk already? lol

I'm not drunk, I'm drinkin :koolaid: ~ Wild Cherry flavor.

I see Antonio Smith as the one being gone. He bitched about being in the 3-4 the day Phillips was hired. I just don't think he fits.

If we find a way to trade Mario & Smith to who ever signs Aso, then this might make sense.

He's got a pretty good sized salary too.

I wouldn't mind a trade for picks or possibly an experienced CB or FS.

So you think a current DE will be traded? If so then who?

Probably Smith. Or they might just use them all in rotation.

But I wouldn't be surprised if this is the end of the Okoye experiment. He was hoping to transition to DE and with Watt here, I can't see that happening anymore.

Kinda like they did in Dallas?

or San Diego?

Marcus Spears. 8 sacks. 6 seasons.

Igor Olshansky. 12.5 sacks in 7 seasons (playing for Wade for most, if not all of it).

Gotta play with what you got. Neither of those guys are as talented as Mario or Watt. Watt will play in the middle on passing downs and make a difference you just watch.:shades:

Back