Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Selection 1.11: JJ Watt DE Wisconson

Those are the types of mistakes we need to stop making. I'm all about paying Jj Watt, but I'm not willing to overpay him. If he hits FA, he'll be overpaid. If we pay him $100M over 6 years, he'll be overpaid.

Three years ago, "we" all said "no one" is worth $100M, but now all of a sudden, "we're" chomping at the bit to throw $100M+ at Jj Watt... I don't agree with that.

Granted, Dude is severely underpaid now. & if I had my way, I'd have offered him a $10M contract before last season. 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017

He won't take it... I know that's what you're saying right now, there's no way he would take it. Well, he played 2013 for less than $3M & he'll play 2014 for less than $3M dollars (averaging out his four year $11M contract). & he might make $10M for 2015 (I don't his compensation will work out to $10M).... so he's already lost $14M (since I offered him $10M/yr) and will most likely lose more.

We exercised our option on him in 2015, we can franchise him in 2016, we can franchise him again in 2017. He's 25 now, in 2018 he'll be 28 years old, knocking on 30, probably about ready to sign his last NFL contract. I doubt he'll have played as well as he has played to where people would be dying to give him $100M.

At 26 years old, Jared Allen signed a contract with the Vikings (after being traded to them for a 1st & two 3rds) that paid him $12M/yr over 6 years. Then the richest contract for a defensive player. If Jj doesn't want to consider something like that... if we can't at least get to the table, I'd trade him before I franchise him. Especially if I can get a 1st & two thirds.

I'd trade him this year, if we were rebuilding. But since we're not...

I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure they couldn't have offered him $10MM a year last year. The rookie contract can't be modified or extended with more than 1 year left on it. Even then, when you extend someone with 1 year left on their rookie contract, that year stays unchanged.

Brian T. Smith @ChronBrianSmith
J.J. Watt answers #Texans' 2-14 season with toughest offseason training program of his career http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexan...or-charity-softball-game-after-training-hole/ … #NFL

Baller...

Brian T. Smith ‏@ChronBrianSmith
Texans' J.J. Watt sacrifices his body ... to tag out Case Keenum.

BmuFleGCcAAM4Mp.jpg

JJ Watt ‏@JJWatt
Last day in Wisconsin for now. Phase One: Complete. @NXLevelBrad @Brooksreed58
[IMGwidthsize=450]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BkY-Wu7CIAE6JgC.jpg[/IMG]

[Watt] went back... to Wisconsin to put himself through a rigorous two-a-day program.
"I kind of just, more, went into a hole," Watt said Friday... "You just climb into a hole and you just want to work out of it. And so I kind of went to Wisconsin, put a mattress in my buddy's dining room of his apartment and just kind of lived that Rocky lifestyle for a little bit, where you don't do a whole lot of media, you don't do a lot events, you work."
"As long as you can keep the balance right, you can do it the right way," he said. "But this is definitely the hardest offseason I've put myself through from a training standpoint. And I can tell. I feel great."
http://espn.go.com/blog/houston-texans/post/_/id/5306/watt-did-his-own-two-a-days-this-offseason

Back