Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Romo is retiring what now?

Cowboys have one good year and their fans come here and start mansplaining to us...

Not trying to troll or condescend. I had no idea that asking what the fans think the team does from here would get so many butt hurt. I think both teams will take a bit of a step back closer to a .500 record this season.

Cowboys losing 3/4 of the starting secondary and the primary backup safety. Also 2/5 of the starting offensive line.

Houston losing some pieces on defense and no clear plan at QB. Should they go all in at this point? Should the fans secretly hope for a crap season to increase the odds of grabbing a top QB next season? Trading Watt next year maybe a good idea if the QB situation is not resolved. Should they even draft a QB early this season? Will O'brien get fired if the team misses the playoffs and the offense is to blame? How about Rick Smith after this off-season debacle?

On top of the above, our "wiley" Texans FO got played like amateurs by Romo and jj. An offer for a #1 national broadcast analyst position doesn't manifest over just a couple of weeks. Having spoken to a broadcast personality in my practice, it was interesting to find out that such a move does not occur spontaneously and would have involved months of interviews and negotiation before consummation................certainly by the beginning of the offseason and very possibly during the 2016 season.

I'm not sure Romo knew what he was going to do initially, and was trying to weigh everything. He was quoted that he didn't want to meet with teams after this last announcement that teams could contact him directly (knew that he might be enticed to compete).

Houston and other interested teams probably should have thrown caution to the win and gone hard at the trade (maybe offering a second rounder with contingencies). That way they at least appear to be seriously committing to Romo, and making him feel like the team was willing to offer something for his services.

Playing hardball screwed themselves seems more likely. Romo was indeed in conversations about CBS since the season ended, but he didn't make up his mind till late in the process.

Houston and other interested teams probably should have thrown caution to the win and gone hard at the trade (maybe offering a second rounder with contingencies). That way they at least appear to be seriously committing to Romo, and making him feel like the team was willing to offer something for his services.

Playing hardball screwed themselves seems more likely. Romo was indeed in conversations about CBS since the season ended, but he didn't make up his mind till late in the process.

I think it's exactly the opposite, he wouldn't have accepted a trade if he wasn't 100% sure he wanted to play.

turned out he didn't really want to play so in the end no trade was completed

accepting a trade and then retiring in houston before even playing would have 100% killed his transition to the media as a serious analyst, he could still have had a career as some kind of polarizing media person, but not a serious analyst

I think it's exactly the opposite, he wouldn't have accepted a trade if he wasn't 100% sure he wanted to play.

turned out he didn't really want to play so in the end no trade was completed

accepting a trade and then retiring in houston before even playing would have 100% killed his transition to the media as a serious analyst, he could still have had a career as some kind of polarizing media person, but not a serious analyst

I agree, there would have needed to be some contingencies in place to protect the trading team (like they get back a second rounder if Romo retires or isn't active for x amount of games). They could have gone hard at the trade and then asked to sit down with him formally before actually trading (renegotiate the contract and gauge his level of commitment).

On top of the above, our "wiley" Texans FO got played like amateurs by Romo and jj. An offer for a #1 national broadcast analyst position doesn't manifest over just a couple of weeks. Having spoken to a broadcast personality in my practice, it was interesting to find out that such a move does not occur spontaneously and would have involved months of interviews and negotiation before consummation................certainly by the beginning of the offseason and very possibly during the 2016 season.

THing is there are several QB's out there that we could likely negotiate for like Cousins, Rivers, and Romo before he stepped away. Obviously he went back and forth on this decision or he would have retired several months ago for this new gig. Getting to the Texans may have changed his mind. I think it would have. The Texans can draft away at young QB's, but it isn't a strong draft for them and that could take years and years to find him. They have a team they could win a SB with right now, so the only option to me is to get a guy like Rivers or Cousins at this point, because I know they won't give up what they have to for Garropalo.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I didn't think teams were allowed to talk to Romo till after the Cowboys have the ok. Which by that point seems Romo had decided.

As far as Romo feeling welcome if a team has to roll out the red carpet and make a player feel like a superstar so they grant us unworthy peasants the honor of them wearing our jersey then no thank you do not want.

Not saying that's what Romo felt, I have no idea what he felt or was thinking, but I would say that about anyone. No matter how good a player is I don't want someone that is going to come in here acting like they are our white knight here to save football in Houston. Anyone with that attitude when things don't go completely right, which they never do, is going to be thinking '"I'm better than this and these losers are holding me back". I honestly think that was part of Osweilers problem.

No I want a player that is proud to be here and truly wants to be part of the team and help the team win not just themselves. One reason I really like Wheedon, and I'm not saying he's the answer just that I like this kind of attitude, is after we brought him here year before last he did an interview. In it he talked about how grateful he was to be signed by a playoff level team after Dallas cut him and how he talked to his wife about how great it would be to stay in Houston for a full season so he could really learn the team and system. Was he saying that just hoping to get a full contract, maybe but it was still nice to hear. That's the kind of attitude I want in all players and especially in my QB.

Plus he took some pot shots at JJ and the "boys" which always makes me smile.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I didn't think teams were allowed to talk to Romo till after the Cowboys have the ok. Which by that point seems Romo had decided.

As far as Romo feeling welcome if a team has to roll out the red carpet and make a player feel like a superstar so they grant us unworthy peasants the honor of them wearing our jersey then no thank you do not want.

Not saying that's what Romo felt, I have no idea what he felt or was thinking, but I would say that about anyone. No matter how good a player is I don't want someone that is going to come in here acting like they are our white knight here to save football in Houston. Anyone with that attitude when things don't go completely right, which they never do, is going to be thinking '"I'm better than this and these losers are holding me back". I honestly think that was part of Osweilers problem.

No I want a player that is proud to be here and truly wants to be part of the team and help the team win not just themselves. One reason I really like Wheedon, and I'm not saying he's the answer just that I like this kind of attitude, is after we brought him here year before last he did an interview. In it he talked about how grateful he was to be signed by a playoff level team after Dallas cut him and how he talked to his wife about how great it would be to stay in Houston for a full season so he could really learn the team and system. Was he saying that just hoping to get a full contract, maybe but it was still nice to hear. That's the kind of attitude I want in all players and especially in my QB.

Plus he took some pot shots at JJ and the "boys" which always makes me smile.

Sounds fine and dandy, but the reality is that they'll have no chance to win a SB next year with the QB's they'll have on their roster. That's a tough pill to swallow for a player or a fan when you know the team is good enough to win a SB with a pretty good QB.

THing is there are several QB's out there that we could likely negotiate for like Cousins, Rivers, and Romo before he stepped away. Obviously he went back and forth on this decision or he would have retired several months ago for this new gig. Getting to the Texans may have changed his mind. I think it would have. The Texans can draft away at young QB's, but it isn't a strong draft for them and that could take years and years to find him. They have a team they could win a SB with right now, so the only option to me is to get a guy like Rivers or Cousins at this point, because I know they won't give up what they have to for Garropalo.

Going back and forth would not have been likely in that the final offer of a job would not have come before months of negotiation. The Network would not have been wasting their time if they thought that Romo was on the fence..........and Romo otherwise would not have been so "calm" during the offseason not knowing what his fate would be.

I just got a notification on my phone that if we had signed Romo, we would've played in Foxboro on Opening Night.

Back