Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Romo is retiring what now?

Rocketzzz13

Practice Squad
Romo is retiring from football to pursue a career in brodcasting what do we do now? We have a lot of cap space should we try locking up Nuk?

Last edited:
Rick Smith has already contacted the agent of Jay Cutler.
I'd prefer Colin Kaepernick over Cutler but it is what it is.

Adrian Peterson met with the Patriots yesterday...
I'd try and bring him home with the decent cap space we have.

Either way we're going to draft a QB in the early rounds.

Finally! A smart decision for Romo........and a forced decision to the Texans, letting them avoid another season of embarrassing drama/fiasco at the QB position.

No! Go with what we have and a draft pick.

This. We're now guaranteed a QB in the first 2 rounds. More than likely in the 1st.

This draft reminds me of when we drafted Hopkins as the 1st WR off the board in a similar draft slot. His WR class was thought of to have no top end talents available but we got the right player at the pick!

Lets hope we get our Hopkins at QB and not Cordarelle Patterson (who the Vikes took with the next pick).

Yeah let's waste more years of the best defensive player in 30 years yeah. Good plan.
As fans, we have no idea what we have in Savage and Weeden. One is a three year developmental prospect, selected by O'Brien over several players more highly thought of, by members of this forum, and itching to take the reins this year and prove what he has. The other is a seasoned, journeyman veteran; formally a first round draft pick whose big knock is that he couldn't win in his two years in Cleveland.

OK, the Romo drama is over! Now lets move on to the Draft and find our QB of the future! Personally, I think they shouldn't bother with Cutler or Kaepernick and just go with Savage, then focus on finding someone in the Draft to develop. If it's Mahomes or Trubisky in the 1st, I can go with that. If they are gone, then try to get Peterman, Webb, or Evans later. Either way it's time to move on from Romo! Let's roll!

John McClain

✔@McClain_on_NFL

Texans like Tom Savage but worry about him staying healthy. They may have to trade up to get a QB Bill O'Brien likes.

7:50 AM - 4 Apr 2017

John McClain

✔@McClain_on_NFL

With Tom Savage and Brandon Weeden only QBs on the roster and both entering last year of contracts, I think they'll draft and sign a QB.

7:49 AM - 4 Apr 2017

captain-obvious-1.jpg

McClain... :kubepalm:

John McClain

✔@McClain_on_NFL

Texans like Tom Savage but worry about him staying healthy. They may have to trade up to get a QB Bill O'Brien likes.

7:50 AM - 4 Apr 2017

John McClain

✔@McClain_on_NFL

With Tom Savage and Brandon Weeden only QBs on the roster and both entering last year of contracts, I think they'll draft and sign a QB.

7:49 AM - 4 Apr 2017

So McClain has not only confirmed that we're moving down in the draft, but we'll be trading to draft someone other than a QB

and to get rid of how big of a distraction Oz would have been

All they had to do was cut him. Instead we traded a high pick for cap space to sign a guy that just retired. It's laughable.

And before anyone says we created the cap space to re-sign Hopkins that's bogus. We had $25M in space before the Osweiler move. Plenty of space to fit in a new Hopkins contract. We haven't signed anybody since the move. We cleared the cap space and then were clearly waiting on Romo.

We blew it. End of story.

All they had to do was cut him. Instead we traded a high pick for cap space to sign a guy that just retired. It's laughable.

And before anyone says we created the cap space to re-sign Hopkins that's bogus. We had $25M in space before the Osweiler move. Plenty of space to fit in a new Hopkins contract. We haven't signed anybody since the move. We cleared the cap space and then were clearly waiting on Romo.

We blew it. End of story.
cap hit would have been too large:

The only reason why Osweiler might maintain his job in 2017 is that massive contract — the Texans are going to pay Osweiler $19 million next year no matter if he plays for them or not.

That’s the minimum he’ll count against the team’s salary cap.

If Houston cuts him before the start of next season, the $6 million Osweiler is owed from his signing bonus in 2018 and 2019 will be added to that $19 million cap hit, bringing the total cost of Osweiler to $25 million in 2017.

The 2nd round pick means nothing. Texans are drafting Nathan Peterman from Pitt anyway.

Nothing?

Myles Jack
Noah Spence
Hunter Henry
A'Shawn Robinson
Austin Johnson
Chris Jones
Jason Spriggs
Sterling Shepard
Deion Jones
Cody Whitehair

The 2nd round pick means something in the ballpark of any one of these kind of guys that could well help our football team in the near future.

I like Nathan Peterman, but I also like other guys that could help our football team too.

Honestly, I believe the Texans got played by Mr. Jerry Jones. That egomaniac couldn't bear to see his boy Romo play for any other team, let alone the Texans. Can we move all these Romo Threads to the NFL forum? This is no longer relevant to the Texans. I'm over it.

cap hit would have been too large:

Cap hit would have knocked our cap space down from $25M to $19M. Still enough to sign Hopkins. Hopkins is playing under a 5th year option this year at $8M. That's already on the cap. A new contract would bump his salary to around $12-14M this year. That still gives you around $13M in cap space after you re-sign him. Take away draft pick money pool and that gives you around $7-8M to sign FA's even after you cut Osweiler and re-sign Hopkins.

Instead we traded a 2nd round pick and signed nobody.

We might be the first team in history where it makes sense to draft 3 QB's and let them just battle it out in hopes of finding one that might stick.

We might be the first team in history where it makes sense to draft 3 QB's and let them just battle it out in hopes of finding one that might stick.
I'd rather see the team crash and burn with a trio of rookies at QB than sit through another 9-7 division-winning-playoff-facepalming-season

Wait, isn't it next year's 2nd we lost anyway? Or was I high when reading the news recently

Bit early to be doom and gloom about losing our 2018 second rounder for 2017 anyway. We'll see how much of a hit it is next year.

Wait, isn't it next year's 2nd we lost anyway? Or was I high when reading the news recently

Bit early to be doom and gloom about losing our 2018 second rounder for 2017 anyway. We'll see how much of a hit it is next year.

It indeed a 2018 2nd. Keep in mind that Bouye's big deal with JAX should net us a comp 3rd that can now be traded.

This blows chunks. Romo was the one and only chance the Texans had of competing for a SB this year.

I can't see Cutler here. I don't think he fits whatsoever with BOB's style and while I don't think he is a bad guy per se, he has a reputation as being sort of surly and not a real team leader type. When you bring in a new kid, I don't see Cutler as the mentor type. Romo would have been, but that's water under the bridge.

Kaep? No way, no how, and even if he did sign here, he's not the clear cut #1. He sucks on so many levels and would be a total distraction. So tired of that discussion.

Beyond those two, anyone else is a complete journeyman and would only be a camp arm at this point.

So, I think the fates have forced the Texans hand. I think they must draft a QB in either rd 1 or 2 this year. If they had Romo, there was at least an argument to be made that you could wait until next year to draft a guy high. But now....nope. No way. They have to draft a guy now. Depending on who is available, I could see them trading either up or down in the 1st, or trading up in the 2nd if necessary, using that extra 4th.

I personally don't think Watson fits what BOB wants, and Mahomes (as much as I personally like him) is borderline in that respect. I think BOB likes the classic under control pocket passer best.

My personal feeling is we land one of these four: Trubisky, Kizer, Peterman or Webb with an outside chance on Mahomes. I'd place my chips on Kizer for multiple reasons. If they go round 2, Webb or Peterman could be there and I'd be ok with either one.

Outside of those guys, there is nobody that jumps out (to me at least) as a starting level NFL prospect, unless you pull a Brady out of a magic hat. And I'm not completely in love with any QB this year. None have the can't miss label so it's a bit of a crap shoot, but they have to roll the dice and hope they roll snake eyes.

a 2nd is a 2nd, the fact that it is from next year it doesn't make it less valuable.

if you are in win-now mode, or if you need cap space right now then yes, go ahead and overpay for some capspace that you need to win now.

but if you want the money to keep it there for future use, then I'd say on the long run probably a 2nd round pick is worth more

it's not my job to do those calculations of course, but in a world where you "build through the draft" that kind of trade make very little sense to me unless there's something important to pay now (like Romo would have been, regardless if you like him or no)

EDIT:
plus, I'd say there's a really good chance our 2nd round pick from next year will have more value than the one from this year, right now I cannot see us drafting this low (25th) next year

It indeed a 2018 2nd. Keep in mind that Bouye's big deal with JAX should net us a comp 3rd that can now be traded.

All the 3 card monte in the world isn't going to make the loss of that pick any less than the value loss of that pick.

No free lunches here.

and to get rid of how big of a distraction Oz would have been

Oz - the circus that brings national writers to swarm Texans practices. (SARCASM!!!!)
Nobody actually cares, writers can make fun of our ineptitude from their couches.

We paid another team a 2nd round pick to free up cap space that we didn't use.

Yes it's next year's pick, but there's a funny thing about the future - it always shows up. Remember the time that the Patriots said 'nah, we're good enough - we don't need to get better this year'? Me either, because they had already maneuvered for their post-Superbowl draft. Texans paid another team an asset to take away an asset and got nothing in return.

Yes it's next year's pick, but there's a funny thing about the future - it always shows up. Remember the time that the Patriots said 'nah, we're good enough - we don't need to get better this year'? Me either, because they had already maneuvered for their post-Superbowl draft. Texans paid another team an asset to take away an asset and got nothing in return.

It doesn't mean it was the wrong move... it was the right one, with horrendous follow-up, but that doesn't mean the original move was a bad one.

It doesn't mean it was the wrong move... it was the right one, with horrendous follow-up, but that doesn't mean the original move was a bad one.

It was absolutely the wrong move. We gave up an asset to give up an asset to hopefully receive a 37 year old player who by our own CND said had zero chance of surviving a single season ... and we'd be paying him a buttload of money. Cap space is easy, 2nd round picks are not. We lost a crappy but capable backup, with nothing else on the roster, and paid for the privilege. NOTHING about this situation was wise, or was even in the vicinity of common sense.

Oz - the circus that brings national writers to swarm Texans practices. (SARCASM!!!!)
Nobody actually cares, writers can make fun of our ineptitude from their couches.

We paid another team a 2nd round pick to free up cap space that we didn't use.

:spit: Yes!!!

I'd love to hear the Texans homers spin this one for me again.

So we first signed Osweiller, and everyone acted like it wasn't a risk, because we could release him in two years if it doesn't work out.

It doesn't work out, so we then trade his contract and squander a 2nd round pick just so we can free up space with pretty much no real plan to get a QB to contend with next season while a rookie develops. They wanted Romo obviously, but had no plan B in case Jerry held onto him or Romo retiring.

So now they sit with garbage at QB and no other plans of getting one, and we lost a 2nd round pick. Lol!

And Bob Mcnair bragged about all of this strategizing!!

Come on Texans fans lets hear someone try to spin it.

Back