Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

QB Quinn Gray (update) signs with Texans

Welcome to the era of the swing Center under coach Gibbs.

swingoutphoto.gif

Reminds me of the opening sequence of Mulholland Drive...creepy.

Shame about Boyd. Thought he'd be perfect to groom as a long-term backup. Heck, if they let Van Pelt carry a clipboard for two years... On the other hand, not to knock Kubiak, but he hasn't really developed a rookie QB besides Griese.

Interesting post on another board...............

Tim Ryan and Pat Kirwin were talking about this situation yesterday on Sirius radio.

For those who are unaware, Ryan is on one of the FOX broadcast teams. He knows things about even the most obscure NFL players, and Kirwin was a former GM in the league who keeps in contact with GMs and other key personnel men on a daily basis.

They both agree that they wouldn't even take a 2nd rounder for Rosenfels. The guy has proven he can rally the football team, and having a guy on the roster who you KNOW can play is more valuable than a 2nd-round pick who may or may not pan out.

They also opined that Kubiak realizes he needs three QBs, so they believe Sage isn't going anywhere.

Here's a wild idea that has no basis or thought process what so ever. If Minnesota wants Sage so badly & we need a LT so badly, why not trade Sage for the troubled Bryant McKinnie? I realize it's not a fair swap, but if we could work out the particulars, would you consider it? Is he salvageable? According to this article, his cap hit wouldn't be that bad for a starting LT & Sage's $1.85 million cap hit would offset 25% of it. I'm not sure how bonus money would be transferred, but that could possibly further reduce the cost. Not likely to even be discussed, but it's food for thought.

http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci_8654810?nclick_check=1

One of the deterrents for clubs to release high-priced veterans is the salary cap. But if the Vikings cut or trade McKinnie, their salary-cap implications would be minimal. Not only is the club approximately $17.5 million under the cap, McKinnie's current cap number is $7.4 million. Releasing or trading him would cost the club only an additional $1.4 million.

If the Vikings are serious about moving him, they probably would have several suitors. Although he could face a suspension because of this incident — NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell has the authority to punish players, even without guilty pleas — McKinnie plays a high-demand position, he's 28, he's extremely durable (87 consecutive starts), and he's relatively cheap (his base salary is less than $5 million through 2011). In fact, there has been speculation that the Vikings have discussed a trade with the Carolina Panthers. Among the players rumored to be discussed: defensive end Julius Peppers and offensive tackle Jordan Gross. The offensive tackle class also is considered fairly strong in the NFL draft.
Is McKinnie someone McNair would allow on team? Would he fit the ZBS? Pretty big guy.

I just liked what I saw in the preseason game when he played against us. He was big, strong can move well and had a live arm. Most of my opinion comes from my own observation so that wiki means nothing to me. Keep in mind that I liked Rohan Davey too.... :heart:
Vinnie, any UDFA that might walk on and make our PS at QB?

The guy has proven he can rally the football team, and having a guy on the roster who you KNOW can play is more valuable than a 2nd-round pick who may or may not pan out.
I agree with Ryan and Kirwan in that Sage has value to this team. But if Smith & Kubiak are convinced that they can get a player who can contribute right away, I would trust their judgement. I don't think you can enter a draft afraid that a guy you pick may not pan out.

I agree with Ryan and Kirwan in that Sage has value to this team. But if Smith & Kubiak are convinced that they can get a player who can contribute right away, I would trust their judgement. I don't think you can enter a draft afraid that a guy you pick may not pan out.
Well said.

I would agree that he isn't going anywhere but the fact that the Vikings said 'we'll give you a third' and we replied ' give us a second' leads me to believe we weren't closing our ears to the idea. Why wouldn't we have said from the beginning that Sage is not available?

I thought that it was a simple "not interested." I wasn't aware that Smithiak made any counter offer. I can't remember Smith or Kubiak being QUOTED about accepting a 2nd round pick. I believe it was only in the veiled presumptive context of the writer(s). Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I wasn't aware that Smithiak made any counter offer. I can't remember Smith or Kubiak being QUOTED about accepting a 2nd round pick. I believe it was only in the veiled presumptive context of the writer(s). Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Neither the Vikings or the Texans have gone on record that a Rosenfels trade has been discussed, much less the terms. Just reports citing sources. But, that's typical of any trade that does or doesn't happen.

Neither the Vikings or the Texans have gone on record that a Rosenfels trade has been discussed, much less the terms. Just reports citing sources. But, that's typical of any trade that does or doesn't happen.
McClain said Texans responded "a second round" is what I heard on radio. His pipeline inside the Texans is better than ever.

McClain said Texans responded "a second round" is what I heard on radio. His pipeline inside the Texans is better than ever.
Yeah, but he couldn't get a quote on that from anyone from the Texans. Which is what CloakNNNdagger was asking for.

I just liked what I saw in the preseason game when he played against us. He was big, strong can move well and had a live arm. Most of my opinion comes from my own observation so that wiki means nothing to me. Keep in mind that I liked Rohan Davey too.... :heart:

And Vince Young, don't forget about him.:lion:

Back