Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Proposed 2015 NFL Rule Changes

It was camera location, not substance filmed, that Belichick was "nailed" for.

Here [a 2009 article] is an extremely interesting very detailed historical look at this "cheating" (and attempts to maintain parity). As a funny aside, this piece points out that nothing is ever done for the common occurrence of players taking their playbooks to their new teams.......sometimes the only reason that a player is invited to join the team........many times very temporarily.........until his brain or his book is picked dry.

The Truth About Spygate: Punishing Success and Promoting Parity

Great article, and one that I will keep around for those that do not (or are unable to) comprehend the complexities of the story.

But anyone calling the NE head coach "Belicheat" is just ignorant, or they have an agenda, or both. Either way, their opinion on the subject becomes worthless to me because it reveals that they are unable to objectively analyze situations and must resort to emotion-driven perspectives often required by simpleton thought processes.

This part from the article cracked me up considering who did it:
Paul Brown coached the Browns from 1946-1963 and introduced many innovations to the game. Brown preferred calling plays from the sideline. He experimented with radio helmets for quarterbacks, but the league banned them until 1994. (Starting in 2008, the league allowed defensive players to wear similar helmets.)

In one game before the ban, Tom Landry-a Giants assistant who later became a Hall of Fame coach for the Cowboys-tuned into the Browns’ radio frequency, allowing him to call the right defensive plays.

The Giants won.

I do not hold it against him, but in today's hyper-sensitive PC world, some football fans would have emotional breakdowns and become incessant whiners about it.

3 proposed changes for the owners to vote on for extra points, next week at the spring meetings.

https://nfllabor.files.wordpress.com/2015/05/2015-playing-rule-proposal-no-14.pdf

I just don't understand this damn near assault on the PAT rules. Moving the kick back to the 15 does NOT make it any more of a challenge. That's essentially a 25 yard FG. 98% of FGs between 20 and 29 yards were made last season. 98%! How does that make it more of a challenge?

If they are so hell bent on making the PAT a more challenging play, MAKE IT A DROP KICK! Hell, considering only 6 of 257 FGs attempted from inside 30 yards were missed, make any kick inside of 30 yards a drop kick.

Or, leave the damn game alone and quit trying to change everything that made it the multi-billion dollar juggernaut that it is.

Or, leave the damn game alone and quit trying to change everything that made it the multi-billion dollar juggernaut that it is.

Impressive rant, until this. Folks didn't used to make 100% of PATs. They're trying to "restore" it to being seen as a useful play where the result is in doubt rather than a waste of time.

There were 2 missed PATs in 2014. 2002 - 17, 2003 - 18. Still a small % but at least it wasn't like spotting a unicorn.

I just don't understand this damn near assault on the PAT rules. Moving the kick back to the 15 does NOT make it any more of a challenge. That's essentially a 25 yard FG. 98% of FGs between 20 and 29 yards were made last season. 98%! How does that make it more of a challenge?

If they are so hell bent on making the PAT a more challenging play, MAKE IT A DROP KICK! Hell, considering only 6 of 257 FGs attempted from inside 30 yards were missed, make any kick inside of 30 yards a drop kick.

I'm with you. So teams got really good at it. That's their damn job. So now we're punishing success??
Jeez.
Leave it the hell alone.
Or if you want to do something, help the defense. Let them give each other a boost to get one guy high enough to block the kick. No off-sides though.
:)

I'm with you. So teams got really good at it. That's their damn job. So now we're punishing success??
Jeez.
Leave it the hell alone.
Or if you want to do something, help the defense. Let them give each other a boost to get one guy high enough to block the kick. No off-sides though.
:)

Should pro golf tournaments still be played on 5000 yd courses? Or should they continue to be challenging as golfers and equipment become better and better? That's how I see the PAT situation.

I'm in favor of doing something with it, drop kick is probably the best option. Still gives you an option for a surprise 2 pt try.

Impressive rant, until this. Folks didn't used to make 100% of PATs. They're trying to "restore" it to being seen as a useful play where the result is in doubt rather than a waste of time.
It's not a waste of time. The PAT has a purpose. It gives you a little time to go to the restroom/concession stand/etc. Don't take that away, please.

Should pro golf tournaments still be played on 5000 yd courses? Or should they continue to be challenging as golfers and equipment become better and better? That's how I see the PAT situation.

I'm in favor of doing something with it, drop kick is probably the best option. Still gives you an option for a surprise 2 pt try.

Those 5000 yd courses had character. Trees, traps, deep rough, dog-legs, water hazards... you had to be precise and use course management, not just hit the ball a freakin' mile, to win.

Personally, and I know I'm alone in this, I think pro golfers ought have to use persimmon woods and blade irons (which some still do). Just like MLB players don't get to use aluminum bats. Let's see those bastards drive the ball 330 yds with persimmon.
LOL

Those 5000 yd courses had character. Trees, traps, deep rough, dog-legs, water hazards... you had to be precise and use course management, not just hit the ball a freakin' mile, to win.

Personally, and I know I'm alone in this, I think pro golfers ought have to use persimmon woods and blade irons (which some still do). Just like MLB players don't get to use aluminum bats. Let's see those bastards drive the ball 330 yds with persimmon.
LOL

I actually agree with you on this... and cut down on the number of clubs in the bag... no specialty club for every different condition and distance imaginable. Learn to alter your swing not your club

LOL

I actually agree with you on this... and cut down on the number of clubs in the bag... no specialty club for every different condition and distance imaginable. Learn to alter your swing not your club

In our own worlds we could all come up with NEW rules to make things interesting. How about a series run not over multiple rounds on one course but with multiple courses and multiple clubs? Does that mean you're the best pure golfer?

To take a lesson from DB - there's no right or wrong, it's entertainment and what you find competitive/interesting.

In our own worlds we could all come up with NEW rules to make things interesting. How about a series run not over multiple rounds on one course but with multiple courses and multiple clubs? Does that mean you're the best pure golfer?

To take a lesson from DB - there's no right or wrong, it's entertainment and what you find competitive/interesting.

Isn't that what the PGA Chamionship does? The fifth major?

I think the Pebble Beach Pro-Am does that. Well not the multiple clubs part - I'm not sure what you mean by that. Anywho, in the Pro-Am they play on three different courses (Pebble Beach Golf Links, Spyglass Hill Golf Course, and Monterey Peninsula Country Club) over the four-day event. The cut is made after 54 holes instead of the usual 36 so everyone plays each course.

I think the Pebble Beach Pro-Am does that. Well not the multiple clubs part - I'm not sure what you mean by that. Anywho, in the Pro-Am they play on three different courses (Pebble Beach Golf Links, Spyglass Hill Golf Course, and Monterey Peninsula Country Club) over the four-day event. The cut is made after 54 holes instead of the usual 36 so everyone plays each course.

I knew it was one of them

LOL

Oh, I don't disagree with any of this. I'd put restrictions on what kind of equipment they can use in golf. But that still means making things more difficult than they have to be. You either make the course longer or limit their clubs.

Was the point wrong or just my ignorance of a sport I like to play occasionally but monumentally enjoy ignoring?

FFS I will refrain from ...nvm

Edit, screw that, if you can do it without ever getting out of breath and I can do it once a year on any hole (defined as par) THEN IT AIN'T A ****IN APORT.

What other "sport" do they define normal and then they say you're great for beating normal?

I actually love playing golf. Just can't stand the ******* who normally are at the courses.

LOL
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

I've always wanted to see a round of cross country golf where the tees and greens are selected at random rather than laid out. It would remind me of my own game that way.

First tee to 6th green. Hmm. Let's give this a little thought...

Was the point wrong or just my ignorance of a sport I like to play occasionally but monumentally enjoy ignoring?

Edit, screw that, if you can do it without ever getting out of breath and I can do it once a year on any hole (defined as par) THEN IT AIN'T A ****IN APORT.

What other "sport" do they define normal and then they say you're great for beating normal?

I actually love playing golf. Just can't stand the ******* who normally are at the courses.

Do you get out of breath bass fishing? Or shooting skeet? Or target shooting. Or sitting in a deer blind waiting to ambush the bambi's you've been feeding corn to all year? I hear you're considered a sportman if you participate in those "activities".

Any sport that allows me to drink (not to excess) while I play yet not put myself in mortal danger while so doing is good by me.
:D

Do you get out of breath bass fishing? Or shooting skeet? Or target shooting. Or sitting in a deer blind waiting to ambush the bambi's you've been feeding corn to all year? I hear you're considered a sportman if you participate in those "activities".

Any sport that allows me to drink (not to excess) while I play yet not put myself in mortal danger while so doing is good by me.
:D

Those are not sports. They are hobbies. :fingergun:

I've had this same argument with some of my golf fan friends many times. To me golf is a recreational activity, and it's hard for me to think of it as a sport if you don't compete directly against an opponent.

At the same time, I realize that it takes a tremendous amount of skill to be good at it, and if there was one sport I'd want to be good enough to be a pro at, it would be golf.

And I hate gay baby whales. Just to offend everyone.

Ifyd...

lol! I remember a bumper sticker back in the '80's that said "NUKE THE GAY UNBORN WHALES". Kinda' pushes everyone's buttons...and not much has changed in 3 decades. :D

just do away with the kick PAT altogether. Go for two and then kickoff

Yep, I like this much better. Makes the points after TDs both more difficult and more important to the outcome of the game. There would be no 98% success with that.

Or competitive activities. Something. Whatever label you want, but you're not an athlete. Hell a competitive paintballer is more of an athlete.

At the same time, I realize that it takes a tremendous amount of skill to be good at it, and if there was one sport I'd want to be good enough to be a pro at, it would be golf.

I agree it does take skill. So do pool, darts and jenga.

lol! I remember a bumper sticker back in the '80's that said "NUKE THE GAY UNBORN WHALES". Kinda' pushes everyone's buttons...and not much has changed in 3 decades. :D

That's exactly what I was thinking of. We used to have "offendall" competitions for improved versions.

just do away with the kick PAT altogether. Go for two and then kickoff

I agree with just eliminating the kick, but I wouldn't make a two-point conversion mandatory. Instead award 7 for a TD. A team can then elect to go for two, but would forfeit their seventh point in doing so.

Score a TD - 7 points.

Go for two and miss - 6 points.

Go for two and convert - 8 points.

No wasted time, no useless plays, strategy still in effect.

I agree with just eliminating the kick, but I wouldn't make a two-point conversion mandatory. Instead award 7 for a TD. A team can then elect to go for two, but would forfeit their seventh point in doing so.

Score a TD - 7 points.

I'll have to think on this awhile.

Score a TD - 7 points.

I'd be fine with that.

My preference though would be 2 pt as we have now and then a ranged kick attempt - 1 pt automatic, alternate 2 pts from 50 yds, 3 pts from 60 yds, 4 pts from 70 yds (it will happen eventually).

The point of the ranged kick being to keep more games theoretically possible late.

I've had this same argument with some of my golf fan friends many times. To me golf is a recreational activity, and it's hard for me to think of it as a sport if you don't compete directly against an opponent.
That leaves out quite a bit. Basically any judged event, and things like time-trial bicycling, Archery, Javelin, Shotput, Discus, etc.

Perhaps we should agree to disagree on the semantics.

To me, competition makes it a sport. But not all sports require athletic competition so that gets another designation.

Hunting and fishing are stretches outside of tournament competition because the competition isn't human.

Golf is competitive, but while athletic ability helps, it is not required.

What many call sport is limited to Athletic Competition. This is too narrow definition and I choose to designate athletic competitions as a subset of sport in this game of semantics.

That leaves out quite a bit. Basically any judged event, and things like time-trial bicycling, Archery, Javelin, Shotput, Discus, etc.

Ummm... yeah. That says ping-pong and badminton are sports but gymnastics or power lifting are not.

Perhaps we should agree to disagree on the semantics.

To me, competition makes it a sport. But not all sports require athletic competition so that gets another designation.

Hunting and fishing are stretches outside of tournament competition because the competition isn't human.

Golf is competitive, but while athletic ability helps, it is not required.

What many call sport is limited to Athletic Competition. This is too narrow definition and I choose to designate athletic competitions as a subset of sport in this game of semantics.

Except for, you know, the actual definition of the word:

sport
spôrt/
noun
noun: sport; plural noun: sports

an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.

"We" are not arguing about semantics. You are trying to change basic definitions. That's on you, not me.

Sport or sports...

Sport (or sports) is all forms of usually competitive physical activity which,[1] through casual or organised participation, aim to use, maintain or improve physical ability and skills while providing entertainment to participants, and in some cases, spectators.[2] Hundreds of sports exist, from those requiring only two participants, through to those with hundreds of simultaneous participants, either in teams or competing as individuals.

Sport is generally recognised as activities which are based in physical athleticism or physical dexterity, with the largest major competitions such as the Olympic Games admitting only sports meeting this definition,[3] and other organisations such as the Council of Europe using definitions precluding activities without a physical element from classification as sports.[2] However, a number of competitive, but non-physical, activities claim recognition as mind sports. The International Olympic Committee (through ARISF) recognises both chess and bridge as bona fide sports, and SportAccord, the international sports federation association, recognises five non-physical sports,[4][5] although limits the amount of mind games which can be admitted as sports.[1]

Sports are usually governed by a set of rules or customs, which serve to ensure fair competition, and allow consistent adjudication of the winner. Winning can be determined by physical events such as scoring goals or crossing a line first. It can also be determined by judges who are scoring elements of the sporting performance, including objective or subjective measures such as technical performance or artistic impression.

In organised sport, records of performance are often kept, and for popular sports, this information may be widely announced or reported in sport news. In addition, sport is a major source of entertainment for non-participants, with spectator sport drawing large crowds to venues, and reaching wider audiences through broadcasting.

as usual, we humans can't agree on a damned thing

Except for, you know, the actual definition of the word:

"We" are not arguing about semantics. You are trying to change basic definitions. That's on you, not me.

That is one definition of the word. I choose another.

Wikapedia
Sport (or sports) is all forms of usually competitive physical activity which,[1] through casual or organised participation, aim to use, maintain or improve physical ability and skills while providing entertainment to participants, and in some cases, spectators.

Dictionary.com

noun
1. an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc.
2. a particular form of this, especially in the out of doors.
3. diversion; recreation; pleasant pastime.
4. jest; fun; mirth; pleasantry: What he said in sport was taken seriously.
5. mockery; ridicule; derision: They made sport of him.
6. an object of derision; laughingstock.
7. something treated lightly or tossed about like a plaything.

Merriam-Webster

sport
noun

: a contest or game in which people do certain physical activities according to a specific set of rules and compete against each other

: sports in general

: a physical activity (such as hunting, fishing, running, swimming, etc.) that is done for enjoyment

Do you want to continue this or can you admit that semantics determine the choice of definition you choose to use? I simply DEFINED what I considered the elements which distinguish MY usage of that term from the way others choose to use it.

If there's a ball involved it is a sport.

Other things like swimming/skiing/archery etc.... is something you do, this is why the Olympics are called events and not sports. IMHO

I think it's kind of a stupid restriction too, but the fact is there are contracts with incentives tied to the number of games a player is active (due to either injury or performance concerns). Not sure how that would be dealt with if all of the sudden, there was no such thing as a Sunday inactive.
The league will adjust quickly. Those needing to sit out for fear a coach under stress will play an injured player too soon should simply not suit out much like the college game.

I see no need to make any player inactive, but I propose a couple of new rules:

1. Ban non participants from the sidelines. I have no need to know if a player thinks he is OK or not or is mad etc. Perhaps require a location be set up for press access and require a member of the team to be available at all times from an hour before to an hour after the game or something similar and that they be updated with the information available on the sidelines as soon as practical.
All pre game and half time participants shall be restricted from the field until all the participants have left the field.

2. Replace team ball boys with officials assistants loyal only to the officials and the NFL.

The way they have it now, where both teams get the ball unless a TD is scored, already takes games well into OT. If you change it to both teams getting the ball even on TDs, I think you're going to see a few more tie games and I don't think that's a good thing.

On another note, I don't get all business the PAT is getting. You score a TD, you get a bonus chance. Who cares if it's nearly automatic? And if that's truly what it's about, then switch to a dropkick on PATs. And for FGs inside of 30 yards for that matter.

If drop kicks are instituted, you'll probably go from hardly seeing a PAT missed to a flicker follies play that will hardly hit.

Do you want to continue this or can you admit that semantics determine the choice of definition you choose to use? I simply DEFINED what I considered the elements which distinguish MY usage of that term from the way others choose to use it.

Typical of your mindset, you are unable to comprehend what :fingergun: conveys in my original message. Perhaps reading my posts is not for you. Too many nuances for your black and white worldview to process and understand.

Typical of your mindset, you are unable to comprehend what :fingergun: conveys in my original message. Perhaps reading my posts is not for you. Too many nuances for your black and white worldview to process and understand.
Your original message is not clear since you choose to debate the certainty and clarity of definitions rather than simply make the one (of many) you choose known. I admit to not being a mind reader.

Your original message is not clear since you choose to debate the certainty and clarity of definitions rather than simply make the one (of many) you choose known. I admit to not being a mind reader.

You do not need to read minds when you can understand the basic intent of smileys. Nobody but you seems to be confused about something so simple.

If drop kicks are instituted, you'll probably go from hardly seeing a PAT missed to a flicker follies play that will hardly hit.
Then leave the damn thing alone. Your reward for scoring a TD is an almost automatic extra point. I don't see why the powers that be are hell bent on punishing success.

Back