Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Patriots under investigation

PDS ‏@PatDStat 2h2 hours ago

and just like that the Texans become the Patriots #1 enemy.

Just shut up old man. The NFL poorly ran a sting operation. They knew about the balls possibly being deflated and instead of God'ell telling Kraft to stop it he ran the sting. Why? Another question is why did God'ell rig the game so he could get this case in a ore conservative court in New York rather than Doty's court in Minnesota? BTW, God'ell is still going to have to answer in court to Doty over God'ell's handling of Adrian Peterson's vacated God'ell ruling. Get your popcorn ready for that one.

From the Wells report it appears that the God'ell had instructed a conclusion before facts like natural gas/temp etc... came about. This isn't brain surgery here. A slippery slope is going to happen when employers can start making employees turn over their personal cell phones. I wouldn't give my cell phone to God'ell either if I though they would release false/true info from the phone like Kensil did giving Mort false football inflation numbers (11 out of 12 under inflated) Why after they found some of the Colts balls under inflated?

Shocking that McNair would back a snake like God'ell. (Sarcasm) After all McNairhas made billions with God'ell as commissioner. Good thing is other owners are starting to ask questions as to why other leagues don't have the kinds of issues that the NFL currently has under God'ell. Hopefully more owners disagree with McNair and let God'ell's contract run out. God'ell has been terrible for the game.

McNair comes out guns a blazing...

image_zpsazhccirm.jpg

:clap:

Just shut up old man. The NFL poorly ran a sting operation. They knew about the balls possibly being deflated and instead of God'ell telling Kraft to stop it he ran the sting. Why? Another question is why did God'ell rig the game so he could get this case in a ore conservative court in New York rather than Doty's court in Minnesota? BTW, God'ell is still going to have to answer in court to Doty over God'ell's handling of Adrian Peterson's vacated God'ell ruling. Get your popcorn ready for that one.

From the Wells report it appears that the God'ell had instructed a conclusion before facts like natural gas/temp etc... came about. This isn't brain surgery here. A slippery slope is going to happen when employers can start making employees turn over their personal cell phones. I wouldn't give my cell phone to God'ell either if I though they would release false/true info from the phone like Kensil did giving Mort false football inflation numbers (11 out of 12 under inflated) Why after they found some of the Colts balls under inflated?

Shocking that McNair would back a snake like God'ell. (Sarcasm) After all McNairhas made billions with God'ell as commissioner. Good thing is other owners are starting to ask questions as to why other leagues don't have the kinds of issues that the NFL currently has under God'ell. Hopefully more owners disagree with McNair and let God'ell's contract run out. God'ell has been terrible for the game.
The science presented in that case was the best comedy routine since Global Warming. I'm no fan of Goodel, but I'm even less of a FAN of courts exceeding their jurisdiction and purview for publicity. Honor Contracts or the whole underpinning of our economic system will have the legs kicked out from under it.

The science presented in that case was the best comedy routine since Global Warming. I'm no fan of Goodel, but I'm even less of a FAN of courts exceeding their jurisdiction and purview for publicity. Honor Contracts or the whole underpinning of our economic system will have the legs kicked out from under it.

So contract law supersedes fairness towards employees in workplace?

McNair really should have just kept his damn mouth shut. This whole ordeal has been a huge black eye for the league and those involved...and now we're involved (attached to it anyway). Brady likely did it but the NFL couldn't prove it and tried to frame him instead. The whole thing stinks. 30 other owners shut their mouths because they knew better but here comes McNair to try and collect some brownie points from daddy.

McNair really should have just kept his damn mouth shut. This whole ordeal has been a huge black eye for the league and those involved...and now we're involved (attached to it anyway). Brady likely did it but the NFL couldn't prove it and tried to frame him instead. The whole thing stinks. 30 other owners shut their mouths because they knew better but here comes McNair to try and collect some brownie points from daddy.

Mcnair is still a clown and an amateur obviously.

Why can't this senial old man take this same passion and find us a QB instead of fussing about other team's QB'S and their team drama. This is the 2nd time now that Mcnair has had his name me toned in this ridiculous saga. You'd think a guy who has owned a team with so many problems would focus on his own team our QB situation. Instead his dumbass even drags JJ Watt's name into this knowing damn well that reporters are now going to ask JJ what he feels about Mcnair's comments on Brady and him now.

McNair obviously doesn't understand what his own HC he hired has asked our players to do which is to keep their answers short and to not comment on other players and other team's to avoid distractions. We also have a good relationship with the Pats for trading and personal purposes since OB got here. That helps to have that, and Mcnair is foolishly tarnishing that possibly by poking his chest out at the Patriots organization. The last thing the Pats need is billboard material when they face us all because our owner wants to get involved in a stupid matter like deflategate when it doesn't benefit us one way or the other.

McNair said. "But the whole idea is we want to make sure we have a competitive playing field that's level for everybody ... don't want people breaking the rules."

uh huh, like your pregnant linebacker, Mr. McNair?

Well, this is a real ball deflator...

Gisele Threatened ‘Nasty And Irritable’ Tom Brady With Divorce

Is Deflategate taking its toll on Tom Brady and Gisele Bundchen’s marriage?

A source close to Brady and Bundchen revealed in the latest issue of Us Weekly that the New England Patriots quarterback and his supermodel wife have been having intense fights since the NFL suspended Brady four games for his alleged involvement in Deflategate.

“Tom’s become very nasty and irritable and started acting out on her,” a source close to the couple told the popular gossip magazine.

These aren’t the first rumors of a strained marriage between Brady and Bundchen, as OK! Magazine reported last month the power couple has been having problems for a while.

However, a Brady insider told Us Weekly the couple’s fights have become so heated that Bundchen recently consulted with a divorce lawyer, which the quarterback apparently is shrugging off.

“Tom thinks it’s only a threat,” the insider told Us Weekly. “But this is definitely a rough patch.”

If Brady and Bundchen are having marriage problems, they’ve done a good job of hiding it publicly. The two even were photographed together earlier this week in New York.

One can’t help but wonder whether the stress of Brady’s court case really is causing a rift, though, especially since they reportedly didn’t spend their summer birthdays together. Brady sarcastically said at an event Tuesday night how “enjoyable” his offseason has been.

“Things are very tense right now,” a source told US Weekly. “This could be the end of them.”

Brady and Bundchen have been married since 2009.​

Mcnair is still a clown and an amateur obviously.

Why can't this senial old man take this same passion and find us a QB instead of fussing about other team's QB'S and their team drama. This is the 2nd time now that Mcnair has had his name me toned in this ridiculous saga. You'd think a guy who has owned a team with so many problems would focus on his own team our QB situation. Instead his dumbass even drags JJ Watt's name into this knowing damn well that reporters are now going to ask JJ what he feels about Mcnair's comments on Brady and him now.

McNair obviously doesn't understand what his own HC he hired has asked our players to do which is to keep their answers short and to not comment on other players and other team's to avoid distractions. We also have a good relationship with the Pats for trading and personal purposes since OB got here. That helps to have that, and Mcnair is foolishly tarnishing that possibly by poking his chest out at the Patriots organization. The last thing the Pats need is billboard material when they face us all because our owner wants to get involved in a stupid matter like deflategate when it doesn't benefit us one way or the other.

I can Give you 2 billion reasons why McNair would support God'ell in this matter.

Like you said, very stupid.

Well, this is a real ball deflator...

Gisele Threatened ‘Nasty And Irritable’ Tom Brady With Divorce

Is Deflategate taking its toll on Tom Brady and Gisele Bundchen’s marriage?

A source close to Brady and Bundchen revealed in the latest issue of Us Weekly that the New England Patriots quarterback and his supermodel wife have been having intense fights since the NFL suspended Brady four games for his alleged involvement in Deflategate.

“Tom’s become very nasty and irritable and started acting out on her,” a source close to the couple told the popular gossip magazine.

These aren’t the first rumors of a strained marriage between Brady and Bundchen, as OK! Magazine reported last month the power couple has been having problems for a while.

However, a Brady insider told Us Weekly the couple’s fights have become so heated that Bundchen recently consulted with a divorce lawyer, which the quarterback apparently is shrugging off.

“Tom thinks it’s only a threat,” the insider told Us Weekly. “But this is definitely a rough patch.”

If Brady and Bundchen are having marriage problems, they’ve done a good job of hiding it publicly. The two even were photographed together earlier this week in New York.

One can’t help but wonder whether the stress of Brady’s court case really is causing a rift, though, especially since they reportedly didn’t spend their summer birthdays together. Brady sarcastically said at an event Tuesday night how “enjoyable” his offseason has been.

“Things are very tense right now,” a source told US Weekly. “This could be the end of them.”

Brady and Bundchen have been married since 2009.​

Notice Brady's SB rings are not on Gisele's fingers...........they're on Ben Afflect's nanny's fingers.........Gisele has been thinking of cutting off nanny's fingers and Tom's XXXX ever since.

ouzounianfull1.jpg

Evidently conspiracy to cheat and refusal to cooperate weren't within Goodell's authority to suspend for.

The next CBA should have some interesting language in it.

Well I guess you got this one wrong and the house of cards that God'ell built came tumbling down. I cant wait for God'ell's reception at Foxboro in a couple of weeks.

The beginning of the end of God'ell's reign of terror.

Evidently conspiracy to cheat and refusal to cooperate weren't within Goodell's authority to suspend for.

Judge Berman disagrees with this post. Meanwhile, thanks McNair for weighing in. I'm sure Belichick and Brady will take note of your comments and their play on the field will do the talking. Unlike your team Mr. McNair

I do believe Brady knew about the balls being deflated and I think there should have been a penalty for what I believe his involvement in the matter was. But I'm happy the buffoon commissioner got his ass handed to him.

I do believe Brady knew about the balls being deflated and I think there should have been a penalty for what I believe his involvement in the matter was. But I'm happy the buffoon commissioner got his ass handed to him.
Contract Law is abolished. Why bother? Cheating is just fine as long as you win. Hate on!

Contract Law is abolished. Why bother? Cheating is just fine as long as you win. Hate on!
Hate? Take it easy there Nikki Minaj.

Goodell is an inept clown. That is a fact. The NFL is booming in spite of him. It's not hate, it's a fact. I could be just as inept a commissioner as Gooddell.

Hate? Take it easy there Nikki Minaj.

Goodell is an inept clown. That is a fact. The NFL is booming in spite of him. It's not hate, it's a fact. I could be just as inept a commissioner as Gooddell.
I dislike Goodell as much as the next guy. But I hate cheating even more. It isn't about Goodell, it's about honoring the contract, freely negotiated and legally binding...or it's worthless.

It's hilarious to me that guys continually bash Brady for his "conspiracy to cheat" and "refusal to cooperate" but have no problem whatsoever with the NFL's "conspiracy to convict" and "refusal to reach a settlement".

This case wasn't about Brady deflating footballs. It was about the NFL trying to manipulate an investigation and frame a scapegoat in order to get the negative PR off their back.

Tom Brady is too important to suspend.
In the meantime, I bet Garappalo (spelling) is pissed.

Exactly. A fine and nothing more. A four game suspension was a sentence for what he "allegedly" did.

I'll also add that the NFL chose this judge because he had upheld the arbitration decision on 66 of his 68 cases. The NFL's case was so bad that it's now 66 of 69 cases.

I certainly hope this is appealed and overturned.

The judge retried the case, which is NOT the role of a judge on appeal. It is whether the process agreed to in collective bargaining was followed. It's not about anything else and he blew it by ruling on everything else, but the matter at issue. If contracts are not honored by the courts, then they are not worth entering into in the first place. Just take every dispute to court because the contract isn't important.

This is about far more than just football. It's an attack on the entire system. Of course I know many that have been doing that for years.

The judge retried the case, which is NOT the role of a judge on appeal. It is whether the process agreed to in collective bargaining was followed. It's not about anything else and he blew it by ruling on everything else, but the matter at issue. If contracts are not honored by the courts, then they are not worth entering into in the first place. Just take every dispute to court because the contract isn't important.

This is about far more than just football. It's an attack on the entire system. Of course I know many that have been doing that for years.

The judge did not retry the case. The decision was based on procedure, not innocence or guilt. Per the CBA, the NFL has the right and authority to discipline its players if there is something there. But there was nothing there. The NFL violated the CBA by suspending him 4 games with no hard evidence whatsoever to back it up.

Link

The judge did not retry the case. The decision was based on procedure, not innocence or guilt. Per the CBA, the NFL has the right and authority to discipline its players if there is something there. But there was nothing there. The NFL violated the CBA by suspending him 4 games with no hard evidence whatsoever to back it up.

Link
That is NOT what is being reported elsewhere. The link is the first credible reasoning for the ruling I have seen. It does parrot the NFLPA amicus more than Berman's ruling, but it at least gives a rational why the CBA was violated rather than simply retrying the facts or disagreeing with what was agreed to in the CBA.

Last edited:

I hope it's all dropped and we can move on. It's been fun but enough is enough. They didn't do squat to the Jets kicker in 2009, they didn't give any kind of penalty to the Panthers and Vikings when they had ball boys trying to warm up footballs on the sideline. If you have a "Don't mess with the game balls in any way" policy then enforce it consistently on everyone and don't tell one guy "Stop that" and instead suspend another guy for 4 weeks, particularly when you're just ticked off because he didn't help you in your investigation as much as you think he was supposed to.

I got no problem with a 4 game suspension for Brady if that's the going rate or if they caught him red handed. The case just wasn't tight enough and they just aren't consistent enough for me to get upset about this. Again the Patriots get away with something I know but there it is. I have no patience for organizations that don't consistently apply their rules. They leave themselves open to these kinds of decisions and that's a bigger problem (in my mind) than a slightly lower pressure in a football.

So.. the NFL is going to appeal the decision. Is there any chance it will be upheld & the four games fall in December?

:fingerscrossed:

So.. the NFL is going to appeal the decision. Is there any chance it will be upheld & the four games fall in December?

:fingerscrossed:

I hope they appeal and still lose. In fact I kind of hope (and I know it's pretty much not gonna happen) that if the Texans can't manage it then the Patriot's repeat.

I just enjoy watching all the butt-hurt it causes.

Around the NFL

Roger Goodell: NFL will appeal Tom Brady ruling

By Kevin P
  • Updated: Sept. 3, 2015 at 12:45 p.m.

The NFL will appeal U.S. District Judge Richard Berman's ruling nullifying Tom Brady's four-game suspension.

Commissioner Roger Goodell, in a statement released Thursday, cited competitive fairness as a key component in the decision to appeal.

"We are grateful to Judge Berman for hearing this matter, but respectfully disagree with today's decision," Goodell said. "We will appeal today's ruling in order to uphold the collectively bargained responsibility to protect the integrity of the game. The commissioner's responsibility to secure the competitive fairness of our game is a paramount principle, and the league and our 32 clubs will continue to pursue a path to that end. While the legal phase of this process continues, we look forward to focusing on football and the opening of the regular season."

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported the NFL will not seek a stay to keep Brady from playing during the appeal process.

In his 40-page decision negating Brady's suspension, Berman cited three main points: 1) No notice of discipline; 2) No testimony from NFL general council Jeff Pash; and 3) No access to the files from the Ted Wells Report.

Brady will be available for the 2015 season

Conflicting feelings, since I hate Goddell, Brady, and the Patriots equally.
Yeah, pretty much agree with this.

I think everyone knows Brady was complicit in the cheating, but Goodell and his trained chimps made such a mess of it.

I'd compare it to the OJ Simpson trial.

It's hilarious to me that guys continually bash Brady for his "conspiracy to cheat" and "refusal to cooperate" but have no problem whatsoever with the NFL's "conspiracy to convict" and "refusal to reach a settlement".

This case wasn't about Brady deflating footballs. It was about the NFL trying to manipulate an investigation and frame a scapegoat in order to get the negative PR off their back.
It's hilarious to me that guys continually bash the NFL for enforcing provisions in the CBA agreed to with the NFLPA. Funny, but the NFL "conspiracy to convict" you speak of isn't borne out in the ruling and the Patriot conspiracy to cheat isn't questioned.

The ruling is replete with one phrase "inadequate notice", in that the court felt that Brady had no reasonable expectation of punishment for:
A) Obstruction (whether he actually did or not is immaterial, that included his phone) or...

Brady contends that "[n]o player suspension in NFL history has been sustained for an alleged failure to cooperate with- or even allegedly obstructing- an NFL investigation." Def.'s Mem. Supp. 9. As support, he cites to Arbitrator and former NFL Commissioner Tagliabue in the Bounty-Gate case for the following observation:
In December 2010, the NFL fined Brett Favre $50,000- but did not suspend him- for obstruction of a League sexual harassment investigation. Although not entirely comparable to the present matter, this illustrates the NFL's practice of fining, not suspending a player, for serious violations of this type. There is no evidence of a record of past suspensions based purely on obstructing a League investigation. In my forty years of association with the NFL, I am aware of many instances of denials in disciplinary proceedings that proved to be false, but I cannot recall any suspension for such fabrication. There is no evidence of a record of past suspensions based purely on obstructing a League investigation.

B) "General Awareness" of others misconduct (lacking the proverbial smoking gun) or...
With respect to "general awareness" of others' misconduct- which is the principal finding in both the Wells Report and the Vincent Letter- Brady had no notice that such conduct was prohibited, or any reasonable certainty of potential discipline stemming from such conduct. The Court concludes that, as a matter of law, no NFL policy or precedent notifies players that they may be disciplined (much less suspended) for general awareness of misconduct by others. And, it does not appear that the NFL has ever, prior to this case, sought to punish players for such an alleged violation.

The NFL sent notice to the Clubs on the "integrity of the game" issue, not the players. NFLPA can't be held accountable to it.
NFL arbitral precedent confirms that because Brady did not have notice of the Competitive Integrity Policy, that Policy could not serve as the basis for disciplinary action against him.

Not letting Brady examine Pash didn't set well with Berman either.
NFL precedent demonstrates that, in Article 46 arbitration appeals, players must be afforded the opportunity to confront their investigators. See, e.g., De f.'s Countercl. Ex. 166D, BountyGate Pre-Hr'g Order No.4 (in which former NFL Commissioner Tagliabue, acting as arbitrator,33 ordered that Jeffrey Miller, Lead Investigator and NFL Vice President of Security, be compelled to testify).

It very specifically did NOT: Find Goodell was partial in delegating player discipline, factual conclusions on the ball tampering via the Wells reports, or that the Goodell only lauded the Wells Report because lacking to do so would somehow bring into question the competency of the commissioner.

Nutshell: They didn't tell Brady that doing these things were wrong in advance, so they can't discipline him for it.

As I said above - The next CBA should have some interesting language in it.

Is there any evidence that Feely tried to obstruct the investigation? Was there any evidence that the unapproved equipment was used to intentionally violate the rules? There are lot's of reasons the cases may not be as similar as insinuated.

But the bottom line for the Judge is the case should not be retrying the facts, but whether the process agreed to in the CBA was followed and legally permissible. If those were followed, then the Commissioners ruling must be upheld, regardless of what the judge thinks about the facts or the process agreed upon, even if he thinks it was arbitrary and capricious. Of course that presumes the judge respects the law rather than makes up excuses to ignore it.
I agree with the bolded, but not that the commissioners ruling be upheld. Goodell went so far overboard with his punishment that it was akin to trying to kill a fly with an ax and it's unprecidented for the NFL to suspend a player for not cooperating with an investigation. Equipment violations are dealt with using fines. Equipment violations do not equal PED's. That was just stupid of Goodell to make that comparison.
There was no investigation
Yeah, pretty much agree with this.

I think everyone knows Brady was complicit in the cheating, but Goodell and his trained chimps made such a mess of it.

I'd compare it to the OJ Simpson trial.
I don't think any such thing. I completely agree that the NFL completely screwed up every single facet of this investigation.

I'll also add that the NFL chose this judge because he had upheld the arbitration decision on 66 of his 68 cases. The NFL's case was so bad that it's now 66 of 69 cases.[/QUOTE

WoW, maybe this will bring change for the good of the NFL.

The NFL lawyers race to the courthouse to get a judge who ruled with previous arbitration rulings 66 out of 68 times. The NFL/God'ell still lost, that speaks volumes.

I don't think any such thing.

Interesting. What's your "most likely" explanation for what went down - I'm not talking hard vs circumstantial evidence or any other legal standard - just what your gut tells you occurred?

Tell us ore about contract law and why Judge Berman disagrees with you.
After the morons initially reported the findings as based on retrying the facts, which was when I made this post, they finally got LEGAL analysts to actually report on the foundation of his ruling which was on the CONTRACT.

I worked with contract of various nature, usually Real Property, all my life. Encroachment agreements, Easements and Fee Strips aquisition, Cell Site acquisition, Oil and Gas leases, Gas Purchase Agreements, etc. The negotiations MUST be based on the expectation that an agreement made legally will be upheld, even if a bargain or distress situation might make it appear "unfair" such as threat of the use of eminent domain or abrogation by government (Order 500 settlements).

There are a few requirements to meet minimum legal standards, but renegotiating the contract to something that seemed "fairer" was not one of them and couldn't be or the purpose of the contract disappears, documenting an agreement. Once a Contract is determined to have been legally made, it is sacrosanct and suits are always about BREECH of that contract.

I know there are LAWYERS on here who are more qualified to speak to this, some with whom I vehemently disagree with most of the time. But only the most outrageous would support deconstructing basic Contract Law and retrying the facts ad nauseum.

Last edited:
Interesting. What's your "most likely" explanation for what went down - I'm not talking hard vs circumstantial evidence or any other legal standard - just what your gut tells you occurred?
I can easily see Brady saying "I like how this ball feels" and his equipment guys doing their best to make the balls feel that way. I don't think for a second that Brady got together with the equipment guys, with a gauge, and determined that he liked the balls best at 11.5 psi instead of 12.5 psi. The NFL wasn't very detail-oriented about all of this stuff before the AFCCG. I honestly don't think that the NFL could've done a worse job of handling this entire situation. From soup to nuts, they've mangled every facet of this case.

I can easily see Brady saying "I like how this ball feels" and his equipment guys doing their best to make the balls feel that way. I don't think for a second that Brady got together with the equipment guys, with a gauge, and determined that he liked the balls best at 11.5 psi instead of 12.5 psi. The NFL wasn't very detail-oriented about all of this stuff before the AFCCG. I honestly don't think that the NFL could've done a worse job of handling this entire situation. From soup to nuts, they've mangled every facet of this case.
Very much respect your opinion, thanks for taking the trouble to explain. We're in total agreement on the NFL's incompetence. Where we differ is in Brady's involvement. It actually sounds like you think he was "at least generally aware of what was going on" :-) He likes the balls soft, instructed the guys to make them soft. Ignorance of the law is no defence, if I recall. Any way, the texts, the destroyed phone and the general air of cheatery that comes out of that organization swings it for me.

Very much respect your opinion, thanks for taking the trouble to explain. We're in total agreement on the NFL's incompetence. Where we differ is in Brady's involvement. It actually sounds like you think he was "at least generally aware of what was going on" :-) He likes the balls soft, instructed the guys to make them soft. Ignorance of the law is no defence, if I recall. Any way, the texts, the destroyed phone and the general air of cheatery that comes out of that organization swings it for me.
I don't think Brady was "generally aware" of anything to do with the actual PSI of the footballs. My honest opinion is that the balls were probably ~12.5psi (the gauges used are inaccurate and not calibrated) and I seriously doubt anyone in the Pat's organization knew about the Ideal Gas Laws. Between that and the gauges being what they were, there is little, if anything, to say that Brady did anything at all wrong.

I've done some noodling on Brady destroying his phone. I won't have company email or a token to log my laptop onto a secure VPN on my phone because it means the company can confiscate it. It's been suggested that Brady would never turn his phone over because it would be setting a precedent and he would rather take the PR hit than set that precedent.

Back