Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Patriots Accuse Texans of Tampering

As one source explained it to PFT, Easterby already has “tons” of juice in Houston, despite being on the job for only a handful of months.

“Jack is just what his title says,” coach Bill O’Brien told reporters on Tuesday. “He is executive vice president of team development and he helps in all areas of the team. He helps me with the team. He helps in the different departments around the team, the departments that work with the team, obviously the training room, equipment room. He helps me with putting in processes to really help the duties of each department relative to the team. It’s all about the team and how can we improve the team and Jack has been an excellent addition to the organization.”
https://www.google.com/amp/s/profoo...evelops-significant-influence-in-houston/amp/

How Jack Easterby’s influence is growing with Texans

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sp...How-Jack-Easterby-s-influence-is-13966737.php

https://www.houstontexans.com/team/front-office-roster/

Executive Management

So in other words your only proof is you interpreting things to fit your narrative.

Here's another for you. Cal and Rootes are calling the shots as owner and president with input from O'Brien. Easterby is there to basically be O'Brien right hand and as the teams Jack of all trades to help out with whatever is needed.

He was part of the interviews because whoever was hired he might be working directing under them and he is known as a good judge of character.

Not saying I believe all that but if you could take your "I hate Bill O'Brien and everything he is apart of" glasses off for a minute you'd see that is just as possible from all the stuff you linked as your theory.

But you know what the best part is, McClain only had two sources and that was Breer and the Boston Globe. So a reporter is using other reporters as his source. Brilliant.

I think easterby went to recruit caserio, and that's tampering. If caserio was already interested there was no reason to tamper at the ring ceremony. They could have just fired gaine weeks ago.

Then, whatever was said, it must have been some miscommunication. Because if caserio was truly interested he would have told Easterby he can't leave contractually until 2020.

But easterby apparently thought caserio was ready to leave asap which looks wrong

I just don't get why Easterby would have to "go" recruit Caserio.
They're personal friends who share an agent. Just isn't logical to me

Thanks for that information.

Look at his experience below. He left the jags in 2005 when he was in the personnel department because he didnt like spreadsheets.

McLane today on 610 said the chaplain is now heading up football ops. Gaines primary assistant will take over scouting.

Allbright, another nfl insider, said he talked to execs and they are all dumbfounded by the meteoric rise of the chaplain. He's never seen anything like it

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/3343987002

Though Easterby’s official title was team development/character coach, he assumed a number of duties, including meeting and motivating coaches and players, throwing passes during practices to defensive linemen and even offering counsel when the team was making personnel decisions.

Easterby was brought into the organization to help the locker room recover from the fallout of former tight end Aaron Hernandez being charged with murdering Odin Lloyd in June 2013.

Prior to his time with the Patriots, Easterby served as the team chaplain of the Kansas City Chiefs, where he helped the team cope with the suicide of Jovan Belcher in December 2012 after the former linebacker shot and killed his then girlfriend.

Easterby first broke into the NFL in 2005 with the Jacksonville Jaguars as assistant director of football operations, where he helped with salary cap issues.

So in other words your only proof is you interpreting things to fit your narrative.

Here's another for you. Cal and Rootes are calling the shots as owner and president with input from O'Brien. Easterby is there to basically be O'Brien right hand and as the teams Jack of all trades to help out with whatever is needed.

He was part of the interviews because whoever was hired he might be working directing under them and he is known as a good judge of character.

Not saying I believe all that but if you could take your "I hate Bill O'Brien and everything he is apart of" glasses off for a minute you'd see that is just as possible from all the stuff you linked as your theory.

But you know what the best part is, McClain only had two sources and that was Breer and the Boston Globe. So a reporter is using other reporters as his source. Brilliant.

Mclane didn't name his sources.

Rootes is on the business side. He has nothing to do with football

Cletus isn't overruling OBrien

You come to this conclusion based on what? A job title? You're personal speculation of what he has done? Or what? There doesn't seem to be enough information out there on him to know if he is a moron or a genius. Without knowing him, or having personal contact with him, how can you come to such a conclusion.

Based on his botched ring ceremony reconnaissance mission.

Also I don't think he's a bad chaplain or character coach. But he is not a guy with much football operations experience and should not be heading it. He doesn't know how to coach or scout in a professional capacity

Also I don't think he's a bad chaplain or character coach. But he is not a guy with much football operations experience and should not be heading it. He doesn't know how to coach or scout in a professional capacity
He has been around NFL football for quite a while, so we don't know how much he knows. We also don't know what happened at the ring ceremony. We know what people have speculated happened who probably have no more knowledge about it than you or I.

He has been around NFL football for quite a while, so we don't know how much he knows. We also don't know what happened at the ring ceremony. We know what people have speculated happened who probably have no more knowledge about it than you or I.

He's been an nfl chaplain for a while. He's never been a scout or coach.

We know enough that new England filed a tampering charge

He's been an nfl chaplain for a while. He's never been a scout or coach.

He has done more than being a chaplain. That is just one role he has played. And just because NE filed a tampering charge, it doesn't mean it occured. The only thing it proves is they don't want Caserio coming to Houston. I have no idea what occurred at the ring ceremony and neither do you.

He has done more than being a chaplain. That is just one role he has played. And just because NE filed a tampering charge, it doesn't mean it occured. The only thing it proves is they don't want Caserio coming to Houston. I have no idea what occurred at the ring ceremony and neither do you.

It was enough that the Texans backed off.

Also he did do more. He went to meetings and advised belichick. What does that mean? Who knows but I don't think he should be heading football ops

It was enough that the Texans backed off.

Also he did do more. He went to meetings and advised belichick. What does that mean? Who knows but I don't think he should be heading football ops
First, he is not head of football operations. He is Executive VP of Team Developement. It appears to me his role is primarily advisory in nature as it was in NE.

Second, we don't know what caused the Texans to back off. We know what was reported and there certainly seems to be more to the story than what was reported. The tampering charges could have been about something that happened at the ring ceremony, it could have been about something that happened that had nothing to do with the ring ceremony or Eaterby, or it could have been a blocking tactic with no actual evidence to back it up. We just don't know and the only people who do know aren't talking.

First, he is not head of football operations. He is Executive VP of Team Developement. It appears to me his role is primarily advisory in nature as it was in NE.

Second, we don't know what caused the Texans to back off. We know what was reported and there certainly seems to be more to the story than what was reported. The tampering charges could have been about something that happened at the ring ceremony, it could have been about something that happened that had nothing to do with the ring ceremony or Eaterby, or it could have been a blocking tactic with no actual evidence to back it up. We just don't know and the only people who do know aren't talking.

Well McClain is the one who said he'll take over football ops that wasn't part of scouting which gaine was doing.

Or is OBrien going to go that too?

Well McClain is the one who said he'll take over football ops that wasn't part of scouting which gaine was doing.

Or is OBrien going to go that too?
We will have to wait and see how this all plays out. There is more speculation than information and I think we all want to know what is really going on and where this team goes from here. Definitely doesn't leave you with a good feeling heading into the season. I was hoping that Gaine was going to be the guy at the GM position and now I am reduced to hoping we can find a guy who maybe could be that guy.

So many on this forum were complaining that Gaine wasn't up to the job, then when Cal comes to that conclusion and acts on it, everyone's head explodes.

That's not the reason people's "heads are exploding". If the Texans fire Gaine after 18 months and get the guy (Caserio) they wanted in the first place, this is all pretty much a non-story, and the off-season goes on as usual.

It's the way the Texans handled the whole damn situation that have people flying off the handle. They don't get their guy the 1st time 'cause the Pats are in the playoffs, not only settle for Gaine but sign him to a 5 year deal, don't like Gaine after 18 months, think they can get their guy again, fire Gaine, get tampering charges thrown at them, have to back off their guy, and are now paying 2 GMs while having no one serving as GM.

How To Get Away With Murder has less plot twist than this.

That's not the reason people's "heads are exploding". If the Texans fire Gaine after 18 months and get the guy (Caserio) they wanted in the first place, this is all pretty much a non-story, and the off-season goes on as usual.

It's the way the Texans handled the whole damn situation that have people flying off the handle. They don't get their guy the 1st time 'cause the Pats are in the playoffs, not only settle for Gaine but sign him to a 5 year deal, don't like Gaine after 18 months, think they can get their guy again, fire Gaine, get tampering charges thrown at them, have to back off their guy, and are now paying 2 GMs while having no one serving as GM.

Question is did the Texans fire Gaine because they thought they could get Caserio based on an alleged conversation at a SB Ring ceremony or did they come to the conclusion that Gaine wasn't the GM that could take us to the SB, fired him and decided to go after Caserio. The later seems as plausible as the prior, possibly more plausible.

What do I take away from all this: it appears that Cal is serious about winning a SB and wants to put in place an team and organization that will accomplish this goal. We will have to wait and see if he can pull it off, but at least he appears to be serious enough about it to be willing to eat a GM's salary to get there.

I dislike firing Gaine after 18 months but other than that I'm sitting back and watching The Keystone Cops southern version.

The complaint about gaine was that he was a yes man.

To fire a guy who just did what obrien wanted doesn't make much sense

The complaint about gaine was that he was a yes man.

To fire a guy who just did what obrien wanted doesn't make much sense
The complaint about Gaine is that he was too conservative in FA and the draft. Some (looking at you, STB) consider that as bowing to ownership.

The complaint about Gaine is that he was too conservative in FA and the draft. Some (looking at you, STB) consider that as bowing to ownership.

I'm thinking it was more of a communication difficulty.

No that was @steelbtexan

I've always said the salary cap is a reality teams have to deal with and they can't just spend like crazy.

I don't really think they could spend big money on guys like Trent brown with Clowney still not extended, and multiple free agents including Watson coming up for extensions. Not to mention a new cap number coming too

What are your qualifications to make this decision?

I don't claim to have the qualifications. It's NFL people who are surprised at his rise.

Anyone can look at his experience and see he's been more of a chaplain/team character guy rather than a football ops guy

Anyone can look at his experience and see he's been more of a chaplain/team character guy rather than a football ops guy

I don't think "anyone can" & come up with that conclusion. You have. Appears Cal has not.

He was a chaplain in KC, a long time ago.

He's been involved with every aspect of team building in New England. Whatever they needed he did. Whether it was on the practice field, in the weight room, in the copy room, whatever, wherever.

I'm not saying that makes him qualified. But just because he led bible study in NE doesn't mean he's not.

I don't think "anyone can" & come up with that conclusion. You have. Appears Cal has not.

He was a chaplain in KC, a long time ago.

He's been involved with every aspect of team building in New England. Whatever they needed he did. Whether it was on the practice field, in the weight room, in the copy room, whatever, wherever.

I'm not saying that makes him qualified. But just because he led bible study in NE doesn't mean he's not.

Ok then someone should ask OBrien and cal why he has risen to this position since nobody seems to know

This is the kind of stuff they should be answering. Not sure why they can get away with no comment bs

No that was @steelbtexan

I've always said the salary cap is a reality teams have to deal with and they can't just spend like crazy.

I don't really think they could spend big money on guys like Trent brown with Clowney still not extended, and multiple free agents including Watson coming up for extensions. Not to mention a new cap number coming too

Yep, I would've signed Brown and traded up for Dillard. Watson would've been protected and the run game would've been better than it will be next yr. If protecting Watson meant losing Clowney, I would've been OK with that and I'm a Clowney fan.

Ok then someone should ask OBrien and cal why he has risen to this position since nobody seems to know

This is the kind of stuff they should be answering. Not sure why they can get away with no comment bs

They feel comfortable with him. Same way that Bob felt about Kubiak and Rick Smith as well. They don't really like change and prefer a continued pattern even at a stronger risk for mediocrity. Getting rid of Gaine like this wasn't that type of move though. It was more of a Jim Irsay or Al Davis type of move.

They feel comfortable with him. Same way that Bob felt about Kubiak and Rick Smith as well. They don't really like change and prefer a continued pattern even at a stronger risk for mediocrity. Getting rid of Gaine like this wasn't that type of move though. It was more of a Jim Irsay or Al Davis type of move.

Isn't hiring Easterby to such a position a big change?

At least both has extensive football experience

Isn't hiring Easterby to such a position a big change?

At least both has extensive football experience

That, I don't know honestly. Not real knowledgable on Easterby as he wasn't ever mentioned much in NE. I have no idea whether or not if he can do well or not here. I think a lot of that is hard to gauge when OB is the HC and signal caller.

Ok I have to be honest why are we completely disregarding the idea that Gaine was fired because of things outside football? I mean I have worked in management a long time and have been involved in cases where you have to not just fire someone but fire them and get them out of your company as fast as possible. From the very beginning this whole thing has struck me as non-football related and then in less than a week we get a law suit that seems to have some legs on it no matter how shaky.

I'm leaning more and more that Gaine was fired because of that or something else they found and the whole Cesario thing was just a matter of timing. Again companies will happily interview and even hire your replacement before they fire you. Even on that why fire him and have to pay out his contract? If you really do just want a new GM then hire them and then demote Gaine down to vice president of concession stands or something.

I love how so many on here think that BoB and Easterby are morons yet also think that they are so cunning and devious that they could pull off a coup and out maneuver high level exes in a way that would make Machiavelli proud.

Ok I have to be honest why are we completely disregarding the idea that Gaine was fired because of things outside football? I mean I have worked in management a long time and have been involved in cases where you have to not just fire someone but fire them and get them out of your company as fast as possible. From the very beginning this whole thing has struck me as non-football related and then in less than a week we get a law suit that seems to have some legs on it no matter how shaky.

I'm leaning more and more that Gaine was fired because of that or something else they found and the whole Cesario thing was just a matter of timing. Again companies will happily interview and even hire your replacement before they fire you. Even on that why fire him and have to pay out his contract? If you really do just want a new GM then hire them and then demote Gaine down to vice president of concession stands or something.

I love how so many on here think that BoB and Easterby are morons yet also think that they are so cunning and devious that they could pull off a coup and out maneuver high level exes in a way that would make Machiavelli proud.

Of course it's possible but wouldn't that thing come out by now?

Outmaneuvering Cletus doesnt seem like it takes much brains.

Of course it's possible but wouldn't that thing come out by now?

Outmaneuvering Cletus doesnt seem like it takes much brains.

Well first you can make the argument that it did come out with this lawsuit. Even if you won't except that argument, and I know you won't, no it might not. Despite what you might think companies are actually pretty good about keeping things under wraps because they only let certain people know then if it comes out they can trace it back. Its why most whistle blowers, the real ones not the so called "sources", get outed because there are only so many that would have known whatever information was leaked.

Also I have to say your blind hate reminds me of Steel and how he was about Smith. You say "Outmaneuvering Cletus doesnt seem like it takes much brains" and you base this on absolutely nothing except your hatred of O'Brian who I doubt you have even met. Never fails to impress me about how people can have so much hate for other people they don't know over the most overrated and over paying game in history.

Well first you can make the argument that it did come out with this lawsuit. Even if you won't except that argument, and I know you won't, no it might not. Despite what you might think companies are actually pretty good about keeping things under wraps because they only let certain people know then if it comes out they can trace it back. Its why most whistle blowers, the real ones not the so called "sources", get outed because there are only so many that would have known whatever information was leaked.

Also I have to say your blind hate reminds me of Steel and how he was about Smith. You say "Outmaneuvering Cletus doesnt seem like it takes much brains" and you base this on absolutely nothing except your hatred of O'Brian who I doubt you have even met. Never fails to impress me about how people can have so much hate for other people they don't know over the most overrated and over paying game in history.

So do you really think Gaine was fired over that lawsuit? Does that sound believable?

Also, weve seen how obrien operates for 5 years. I don't think it's strange for fans to hate a bad coach

Based on what exactly? Timing and a contract clause is literally all that has been reported.

They don't exactly have a stellar track record on those. If we really "tampered", why back off? Why not push it and get compensation AND keep your guy? (I'm sure it couldn't have anything to do with whether that clause would really stand up to NFL scrutiny, or that other than the aforementioned clause, there's no tampering case at all.)

So do you really think Gaine was fired over that lawsuit? Does that sound believable?

Also, weve seen how obrien operates for 5 years. I don't think it's strange for fans to hate a bad coach

Dislike is certainly understandable, and I think most here dislike at least parts of what he has done over 5 years... but the absolute vitriolic hatred that you and a few others spew is something else

For the record I didn't/don't hate RS. I just think he was subpar at his job, a yes man, with a low work ethic.

Yes, it shouldn't be very hard to out smart Cletus as Kraft/Belichick just proved.

Based on what exactly? Timing and a contract clause is literally all that has been reported.

They don't exactly have a stellar track record on those. If we really "tampered", why back off? Why not push it and get compensation AND keep your guy? (I'm sure it couldn't have anything to do with whether that clause would really stand up to NFL scrutiny, or that other than the aforementioned clause, there's no tampering case at all.)

Because Cletus has no balls and Belichick took Cletus to the woodshed.

Back