Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Owen Daniels/Texans playing "contract chicken"'

Other than the fact that you post is FILLED to the rim with extremely POOR math, I'm not sure what to tell ya'.

1. Owen Daniels is asking for a pay INcrease - not a decrease.
2. What the "market will bear" hasn't been determined (other than not ONE team was willing to part with the TWO picks necessary to get OD under the terms of his RFA tender - that part is a FACT).
3. His RFA tender is a substantial pay INcrease over last year -so your 50% pay CUT is being pulled out of this air.

feel free to carry on with nonsense mongering...

That was pretty much my reply. Gotta love it when people try to apply everyday jobs and everyday workers to millionaire pro athletes contract situations. Of course it's apple to apples.

This little piece about an "uncapped year" should be something that Robinson, Ryans, Daniels and others on the Texans would do well to think about.
But, they also have to think about what changes a new CBA might bring. A deal that could look good now, might be outdated with the next CBA. Free agency rules, and franchise tag rules, could change dramatically. If they aren't happy with the offers in hand, it might be prudent to wait. It's a guessing game for the players and the clubs, right now.

In TE market-making news, word is that Heath Miller just re-upped with the Steelers for 6 years at $35.3 million with $12.5 in guaranteed money. Miller was drafted one year before Daniels; his stats are not as good as OD's, but the Steelers are not traditionally a TE-centric team.

In TE market-making news, word is that Heath Miller just re-upped with the Steelers for 6 years at $35.3 million with $12.5 in guaranteed money. Miller was drafted one year before Daniels; his stats are not as good as OD's, but the Steelers are not traditionally a TE-centric team.

Heath Miller is the best blocking TE in the NFL probably, so thats a big factor here.

So this probably will mean OD will still want more money.

WHo plays behind Miller and did that impact the deal? Texans are pretty high on Casey & Dreesen is in there somewhere.

I think the point is now that Miller's deal is done the Owen Daniels Camp now has a basement to work with. One could argue that OD's money should start at atleast what this deal is.

From profootballtalk.com

Texans coach Gary Kubiak said yesterday that he expected tight end Owen Daniels to show up for training camp.

And Daniels did. But he's still not happy about his contract.

Our pal Lance Zierlein has posted several sound bites from Daniels, during which his displeasure with the absence of a long-term deal comes through.

Daniels, a fourth-year pro, is playing under a one-year, $2.79 million restricted free agency tender.

He says he didn't "seriously" consider holding out of training camp, due in part to the daily fines. "First of all, that's a lot of money per day. Second of all, you know, I wanna work. I'm the type of player that wants to come out here and do what I'm supposed to do."

Daniels explained that he skipped some voluntary offseason workouts because he believes he wasn't being treated fairly. And he presumably still feels the same way, since he's operating under the one-year contract that the Texans extended to Daniels in February, in order to secure his rights for the 2009 season.

And there's no sign of a new contract. We reported in June that the Texans did not intend to continue talks on a long-term deal, and Daniels has confirmed that no negotiations are occurring.

"There's no talks right now," Daniels said. "We'd like to talk, but there's no discussion."

If there's no new labor agreement by March, Daniels will be eligible again for restricted free agency only -- which means that he'll have to spend another year playing under a much lower annual salary than what he thinks he deserves.

This from Kuharskys blog:

Posted by ESPN.com's Paul Kuharsky

Houston tight end Owen Daniels skipped minicamp to make a statement about his contract even after he signed his restricted free agent tender.

There was a lot of speculation about whether he would show up Friday as the Texans started practicing.

He did.

Here's some of what he said in a conversation with the Houston media, from a transcript provided by the team's public relations staff.

On if he ever considered not coming to camp:

"Um, not seriously. First of all, that's a lot of money per day, and second of all, I want to work. I'm the type of player who wants to come out and do what I'm supposed to do. What happened before, early in the offseason, OTAs and minicamp, I felt like I was being treated unfairly, so I had to do some certain things, but I'm here now, ready to work. I kind of feel like a rookie again. I've got my blinders on. I worked my butt off my rookie year to earn my spot, and I'm taking that mentality again, because I guess I haven't proven enough thus far these first three years. I'm just going to bust my ass every day during camp and throughout the season, so hopefully they'll see some more out of me in the future."

On the current status of talks:

"I'm just out here working. There are no talks right now. We'd like to talk, but there's no discussion. I'm playing out my tender and going to work, that's about it."

On how that makes him feel:

"It doesn't make me feel great. I feel great being out here with my teammates. I love Houston, I love this team, I love playing for coach [Gary] Kubiak. This is the place I want to be for the rest of my career. I guess I always thought that was going to happen with what's happened in the past three years. I feel good about being here. I don't have all of those positive thoughts any more, but I love my teammates and I'm here to work for them."

On whether he's hurt by this process:

"I'll repeat that over and over again. I love playing for Kube. I love playing for my teammates. We've got a great team that can do a lot of great things in the future, and I want to be a part of it. There are a lot of signs pointing that that might not happen. I don't want to be put in a situation where I have to make a decision not to be here in the future, so I'd like them to make that decision for me."

On whether or not he's concerned with how he'll be portrayed:

"People can look at me however they want to. I've been a great guy on the field and off the field in this city. I don't know what else I can say. I know people probably don't understand the business side of things, and that's alright. People are going to say whatever they want and have their own opinions, and that's not for me. The people that really know me know that I want to be here, that I'm a good guy and that I'm not an unfair person. I'm a reasonable guy, and that's all I'm really looking for in return."

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61851&page=16

I really don't like this. This better get worked out or Rick Smith is going to seriously start pissing a lot of people off. Quality locker room guys as well as quality players like OD and Demeco deserve the big time deals. If Smith keeps playing hardball, he is going to get burned. These guys want to remain with the Texans and play a part in turning this team into a playoff contender year in and year out. If he does not start working on a deal once all our rookies are signed, I am going to be very pissed at Mr. Smith.

Somebody better give our version of Jay Novacek and Dwight Clark his money. Dude has earned it. He went to the Pro Bowl as a back up but he did some great things. He's also one of the reason Matt has as many come from behind victories as he has.

I really don't like this. This better get worked out or Rick Smith is going to seriously start pissing a lot of people off. Quality locker room guys as well as quality players like OD and Demeco deserve the big time deals. If Smith keeps playing hardball, he is going to get burned. These guys want to remain with the Texans and play a part in turning this team into a playoff contender year in and year out. If he does not start working on a deal once all our rookies are signed, I am going to be very pissed at Mr. Smith.

WIth OD, I think it just depends on HOW MUCH money he wants. I don't want to over pay for him anywhere near the Bucs did for Winslow since we have depth right now. But if we can get him a deal that is good for him and reasonable for us, then we shouldn't be cheap at all.

We need to get OD and Demeco signed. The hell with Dunta. I'm not worried about what he does. He's already getting way over paid as it is with a franchise tag, and we offered him enough money that he turned down that was pretty generous.

WIth OD, I think it just depends on HOW MUCH money he wants. I don't want to over pay for him anywhere near the Bucs did for Winslow since we have depth right now. But if we can get him a deal that is good for him and reasonable for us, then we shouldn't be cheap at all.

We need to get OD and Demeco signed. The hell with Dunta. I'm not worried about what he does. He's already getting way over paid as it is with a franchise tag, and we offered him enough money that he turned down that was pretty generous.

Agreed. I have to say that OD and Demeco being upset is worrisome. Now I am starting to wonder if it isn't a leadership issue in the front office. I don't care about Dunta...at all. Personally I'd love it if he just chose not to sign the tender, sat the whole year out and then we turned around and slapped the franchise tag on him again. As for OD and Demeco...I want them to be Texans for a long time.

If we don't sign the talent that's already here, we are always going to be a team with players that can "be coached up."

But is Daniels holding out or not? I'm still confused on this... thread title says *UPDATE* Daniels now holds out.

He was at camp. How is that a holdout? I get he's not happy but is he holding out?

But is Daniels holding out or not? I'm still confused on this... thread title says *UPDATE* Daniels now holds out.

He was at camp. How is that a holdout? I get he's not happy but is he holding out?

That update is several weeks/months old...I guess edit it to be clearer.

Back