Owen Daniels/Texans playing "contract chicken"'

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by TEXANS84, Jun 3, 2009.

1. TEXANS84

TEXANS84 Moderator Staff Member

Hmm...things could get interesting

LINK

2. barrett

barrett Hall of Fame

I saw this. I was thinking there's no way he doesn't sign it. That seems crazy to me. He signs it right?

They probably don't want to sign everybody right away. they are allowed to have 8 extra guys in camp while the draftees are unsigned.

3. spurstexanstros

spurstexanstros Texans Rising

I hope they sign he is great for this team.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2009
  4. bckey

bckey Hall of Fame

He doesn't stand to gain anything by not signing but stands to lose a lot if he doesn't. He'll sign.

5. barrett

barrett Hall of Fame

Winston and sports radio 610 talk about this actually. Winston says he's really shocked that Daniels is at OTA's. He respects him for his decision and says that it shows what kind of players Daniels is.

The interview goes on to a really nice discussion about the CBA. It's definitely worth a listen if you can spare the 20 or so minutes.

http://www.sportsradio610.com/topic/play_window.php?audioType=Episode&audioId=3777422

6. kiwitexansfan

kiwitexansfan Site Contributor

I respect Ryans and Daniels for being at OTAs with their contract issues.

I still think Daniels signs a tender or an extension before the season starts.

Ryans I'm not sure about because I think he dropped off last year and they might want to see what he brings at the beginning of this season before committing long term to him.

That other guy, well needless to say there is less respect there and less concern about getting him signed.

7. Ckw

Ckw Guest

Should we be getting a little frustrated with Rick Smith? I mean I don't blame him for the Dunta situation but there is no reason OD and Demeco should not be getting good deals. What's the problem?

8. DoCRoN

DoCRoN Veteran

There has to be a reason OD hasn't signed his tender. I'm not a "contract expert" by any means, but.... The only conclusion I can draw is that Smith and OD's agent are trying to work out a longer-term deal. If they don't, he'll undoubtedly sign the tender before the deadline.

This is pure speculation, but given all the facts listed above I can't think of any other reason why he hasn't signed it yet.

Thoughts?

9. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

only a couple of players with contract issues in early June. That's really a problem?

Revolution likes this.
  10. DiehardChris

DiehardChris You betcha!

I still blame Kellen Winslow's stupid, ridiculous deal and the morons at Tampa who actually put pen to paper on it. I'm sure Owen and his agent had a much less ludicrous number in mind until they saw that and said "oh, wait - well, Owen has proven much more on and off the field than Winslow."

Sigh.

HOU-TEX likes this.
  11. Ckw

Ckw Guest

When those couple of players are some of the best players on your team, it is a bit of a problem. But I what I said was a question so I personally have mixed emotions and was simply wondering what others on here thought about it.

12. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

I'm not worried about it.

Yet.

13. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

I don't care what they paid Winslow, I don't see OD being worth more than 10-12 Million guaranteed to the Texans. He probably gets more than that, but I don't see it especially with ODs backup being a descent player and 2 more TEs drafted this year alone.

14. Texecutioner

Texecutioner Hall of Fame

Well I love Owen Daniels and all, but let me propose this? (You guys are going to hate me)

Since everyone seems to think that Casey is going to be so good as a pass catching TE, what if the Texans dangled Daniels to possibly get a first rounder. Many teams out there use first round draft picks on a guy that they think will be a great TE, and with Daniels there is no ? there. You know what you're getting. If Casey can be similar to what Daniels is now, I think that it might be worth thinking about.

Anyone agree, or am I just crazy?

15. RipTraxx

RipTraxx Free Agent

Since Dunta is our first "holdout"..im not worried about it.

Truth of the matter is we signed AJ to an extension a while back, and he's prolly worth (and COULD ask for) way more than what he's currently getting.

16. Spike

Spike Veteran

I think it this is a fair question. Both of these guys are pro-bowl caliber players and leaders on the team. For a young franchise, I think it is important to keep these types of guys - who are one of few nationally recongized players on our team - and keep them happy.

All that being said, there is no telling what is going on behind the scenes. I would hope that these guys were advised to show up because real progress is being made. You would think that if the organization was taking an unreasonably slow pace in dealing with these contracts that these players wouldn't be at camp.

I have to believe that Rick Smith is going to do everything he can to keep both of these guys happy. Arguably (if the reports are true), everything was done to keep Dunta happy as well - there is just nothing you can do if the asking price is too high.

17. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

I think both of these guys (Daniels and Ryans) will be happy with their new deals by training camp. At least that's what I'm hoping for.

18. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

^^^This one.

^^^ And this one.

Sum it up perfectly.

19. Ckw

Ckw Guest

I hope you are right TB.

20. Ckw

Ckw Guest

We might be able to get by without OD, especially if Casey can prove to be a good pass catching TE.

We will take a significant step back if we lose Demeco.