Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

**Official Game-Day Thread** Texans at Seahawks, Sunday Oct 29, 2017!!

I'm not saying all that.

O'Brien said he has to communicate better what he expected on that play. I don't know what that means. I offered suggestions, maybe he expected the OL to block it differently. Maybe he expected the RB to approach it differently, maybe he expected the QB to do something different.

Everyone wants to defend Watson so badly that it's the only option they want to argue.
Everyone?

J/k.

I went back and did the homework you suggested. I listened to both pressers OB and Watson and watched the plays again.

Here's what I think happened.

OB called a read-option play (actually called read-option 3 times in a row) with 3 reads the give to the RB or work the QB-WR speed option. A similar concept if not the same play below from the 1st qtr:
vooZzM.gif

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Watson executed a read-option the way the play is designed to work, made the right read to give it to the back.
It seems like OB would have liked for Watson to keep the ball and work the speed option with the Ellington.

When OB says that's not what he expected I assume he's referring specifically to Watson giving the ball to the RB. And I agree that IF he didn't want Watson to read the play out correctly then he should have expressed to Watson specifically something to the effect of...
b9538948dcf2ea2831254766e7765008_crop_exact.jpg

"Hey look, don't read this play out with Miller. No matter what I want you to work the speed option w/ Ellington"

All I am saying is that I don't like calling a read-option play in that situation.
I want the ball in Watson's hands as passer and if that break downs then he can run.

Last edited:
Everyone?

J/k.

I went back and did the homework you suggested. I listened to both pressers OB and Watson and watched the plays again.

Here's what I think happened.

OB called a read-option play (actually called read-option 3 times in a row) with 3 reads the give to the RB or work the QB-WR speed option.

Watson executed a read-option the way the play is designed to work, made the right read to give it to the back.
It seems like OB would have liked for Watson to keep the ball and work the speed option with the Ellington.

When OB says that's not what he expected I assume he's referring specifically to Watson giving the ball to the RB. And I agree that IF he didn't want Watson to read the play out correctly then he should have expressed to Watson specifically something to the effect of..."Hey look, don't read this play out with Miller. No matter what I want you to work the speed option w/ Ellington"

All I am saying is that I don't like calling a read-option play in that situation.
I want the ball in Watson's hands as passer and if that break downs then he can run.
I came to the same summation myself. Everyone bashing OB for not putting the ball in Deshauns hand when he literally did it 3 times but with a different outcome that he expected

I came to the same summation myself. Everyone bashing OB for not putting the ball in Deshauns hand when he literally did it 3 times but with a different outcome that he expected
Not quite the same though.

I agree that OB called the same play 3 times.

I disagree that a read-option play puts the ball in Watson's hands. Afterall the ideal outcome on read-option is for someone other then the QB to carry the ball.

When I say put the ball in Watson's hands I mean as a passer.

In short I think OB should have gone with pass plays not read-option.

Just going over some of my favorite or key plays from the game:

9QQgNJ.gif

Rhythm drop back passing
Starts his progression reading the (L) side
Works to the (R) side and hits a tightly covered Hopkins ~20 yards downfield
Ballsy throw.
Good footwork, good timing, strong throw, good accuracy

Watson displays spontaneous genius as Bill Walsh would say......
rRR9Wp.gif

Gives the designed play a chance
Feels the pressure, scans the feild
Evades the pressure, keeps his eyes up to throw
Scrambles out of the pocket, picks a receiver
Stops and pops, and fits a ball into tiny window in the zone

9QQgNJ.gif

Rhythm drop back passing
Ballsy throw.

& great catch. Hopkins was falling down.

9QQgNJ.gif

Rhythm drop back passing
Ballsy throw.

XSF did a good job there getting off the initial block & picking up the late stunt.

Mancz looked good holding his ground, allowing DW4 to step up.

Breno... sigh... I know it looks like he did a good job pushing the edge rusher around the horn, but imo he's a step too slow. He should have gotten an extra step out, engaging the rusher further out, running him out of the play regardless whether Watson stepped up or not. You see how he's actually on the back of the rusher. If that guy could've forced a tighter turn, Giacomo could've got flagged for holding.

Watson displays spontaneous genius as Bill Walsh would say......
rRR9Wp.gif

Gives the designed play a chance
Feels the pressure, scans the feild
Evades the pressure, keeps his eyes up to throw
Scrambles out of the pocket, picks a receiver
Stops and pops, and fits a ball into tiny window in the zone

Is that Griffen getting punk'd on the right end? Not too happy with XSF here, at least he stayed on his feet & active.

Breno... sigh... I'm not going to lie & say I could do better, or that it's easy blocking Sheldon Richardson, but... eh.

& that's max protect.

Back