Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

**Official Game-Day Thread** Texans at Seahawks, Sunday Oct 29, 2017!!

How many more times does it take for this coach to realize the tides have shifted. Yes last season and the year before we relied on our defense. But as for this year, BILL O'BRIEN we can not trust this defense. It's time for the offense to carry this team.

Memo to O'Brien...this is football, it's ok to kick an opposing team when they're down!!! Never take your foot off the throttle with this offense until that clock shows QTR 4 - 00:00.

How many more times does it take for this coach to realize the tides have shifted. Yes last season and the year before we relied on our defense. But as for this year, BILL O'BRIEN we can not trust this defense. It's time for the offense to carry this team.
I believe he wanted to give them one more chance to make up for that pats game. Now he knows they can’t handle that, have to treat them like children.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought we should have called a TO. Defense was on empty. Pass rush had zero push. DBs were sitting ducks.
My thoughts exactly.

Damn letting the clock run. The defense is running on fumes and cant even get lined up. I would rather give us a rest and get on the same page than let a few more seconds tick.

Pretty simple here. Watson may learn from his mistakes, but O'Brien damn sure doesn't. Almost the same situation as the Patriots game and he blew it....

Foreman can't pass block for beans.......in a game that Watson was under so much pressure, Blue would certainly win the choice. And I'm sure that O'Brien was not happy for a rookie to find any excuse for missing a practice.
A good portion of our O-Line can't pass block for beans either, which is the reason it's a good thing DW is so good outside the pocket.

As for Foreman? I guess when O'Brien says he's "behind his players 100 percent", that only applies to the players he finds worthy of getting behind?

I believe he wanted to give them one more chance to make up for that pats game. Now he knows they can’t handle that, have to treat them like children.
So, he play calls like a child as well? Is this his "that'll show 'em" moment? Overwork your back to death and expect him to convert three runs with the game on the line?

This is the NFL folks. This isn't Hoosiers, where Hackman can keep a star player on the bench in an early season game and it'll all turn out swimmingly in the end. This one was a huge test where the coaching failed the players, NOT the other way round.

Last edited:
Those will be the difference between winning and losing more times than not in coming weeks.

Meanwhile the media and all our fans will talk about how great DW is! Which I would have to agree with but the int's in close games when those could be the difference between losing and winning is what I can only accept for so long. Yes DW practically overcame his mistakes but if he doesn't make those mistakes we win yesterdays game.

Of coarse there are other concerns going into the rest of the season. Mainly a weak secondary which can't take away the long balls. It will be that much harder on DW and it will make any interceptions he may throw all the more critical.

Russell Wilson threw for 452 yards 4 TDs & an INT (against our weak secondary). DeShaun Watson threw for 402 yards 4 TDs & 3 INTs... against the LOB. You don't complain about that kind of performance.

& this isn't like the NE game or the KC game where their defenses aren't playing up to par. The Seahawks had not allowed a TD in the first Qtr of any game this season. Watson scored twice. The Seahawks had not allowed a TD in the 4th Qtr of any game this season, until yesterday.

Nobody's perfect. To expect our rookie to be doesn't make sense. Yeah, he threw a pick six, yeah he threw 3 INTs. But he did enough to win, can't deny that.

The rest of the team needs to step up.

Last edited:
A good portion of our O-Line can't pass block for beans either, which is the reason it's a good thing DW is so good outside the pocket.

As for Foreman? I guess when O'Brien says he's "behind his players 100 percent", that only applies to the players he finds worthy of getting behind?

So, he play calls like a child as well? Is this his "that'll show 'em" moment? Overwork your back to death and expect him to convert three runs with the game on the line?

This is the NFL folks. This isn't Hoosiers, where Hackman can keep a start player on the bench in an early season game and it'll all turn out swimmingly in the end. This one was a huge test where the coaching failed the players, NOT the other way round.
Gotta give your defense a chance to redeem themselves. But I understand what you are saying Head coach made some suspect moves down the stretch.

Russell Wilson threw for 452 yards 4 TDs & an INT (against our weak secondary). DeShaun Watson threw for 402 yards 4 TDs & 3 INTs... against the LOB. You don't complain about that kind of performance.

& this isn't like the NE game or the KC game where their defenses aren't playing up to par. The Seahawks had not allowed a TD in the first Qtr of any game this season. Watson scored twice. The Seahawks had not allowed a TD in the 4th Qtr of any game this season, except yesterday.

Nobody's perfect. To expect our rookie to be doesn't make sense. Yeah, he threw a pick six, yeah he threw 3 INTs. But he did enough to win, can't deny that.

I also hate playing the IF game. There’s nothing factual behind it. Someone can say IF deshaun doesn’t throw a pick 6 they win how do they know that? Based off what?

The team let a winnable game slipped through their finger tips.

My thoughts:

its hard for me to judge how much of the defensive issues are scheme or personnel
BUT u can never go wrong improving personnel. Maybe make a run at Eric Reid or an edge rusher or a DL or a CB

Clowney needs help, I like how they moved him around though

I didn't like the defensive calls in coverage to end the game. Too many WRs were in 1on 1 situations. I would have liked to see dime or quarters with the cbs locked in man coverage with safety help. I wanted to see 2 defenders on those passes downfield.

You can finger point to any mistake throughout that game and say we should have won if not for that. But all of that was on the players. They made those mistakes. Fair enough, it happens. That's football. That's competition and sports in general.

The one thing I can't get over is when we're in a great position to win the game in the final two minutes, with the ball in Deshaun Watson's hands, and Bill O'Brien calls the dumbest plays ever imagined in that situation!!!!! He did it against the Patriots and now the Seahawks on the road. Isn't it the head coach's job to put the team in the best position to succeed and win games?

It's one thing to lose a game that our players fought their asses off and just came up short or made one too many mistakes. But it's so deflating when the head coach is the one that has now cost us two of these games. When we're sitting there with a 9-7 or 8-8 record at the end of the season. We're going to wish we had those two extra wins to have made the playoffs.

Bill O'Brien even said in his post-game presser that I posted the video of, that the loss yesterday was squarely on him. He admits to the bad playcalling late in the game. It's just amazing to me how he realizes his mistakes but still doesn't correct them during the game!!!!!! I mean damn coach, don't apologize to us after the game and be so hard on yourself. Fix your horrible playcalling decisions in-game while you can still do something about it!

The one thing I can't get over is when we're in a great position to win the game in the final two minutes, with the ball in Deshaun Watson's hands, and Bill O'Brien calls the dumbest plays ever imagined in that situation!!!!! He did it against the Patriots and now the Seahawks on the road. Isn't it the head coach's job to put the team in the best position to succeed and win games?

Isn't it DeShaun Watson's job to get them out of bad plays? I mean, you knew it was a bad play, I knew it was a bad play... shouldn't DeShaun have known?

Not to pile on DeShaun Watson, but the way O'Brien explained it, it kinda makes you wonder. He said the issue wasn't the play call, but the way he communicated it to the offense. He went on to say he needs to better communicate what he's looking for in that situation.

Now that could mean anything. Maybe the OL didn't block it the way he intended. Maybe the tail back was supposed to press, then bounce. Maybe the QB was supposed to keep it & throw it to the leaking TE....

Reactions: JB
Isn't it DeShaun Watson's job to get them out of bad plays? I mean, you knew it was a bad play, I knew it was a bad play... shouldn't DeShaun have known?

Not to pile on DeShaun Watson, but the way O'Brien explained it, it kinda makes you wonder. He said the issue wasn't the play call, but the way he communicated it to the offense. He went on to say he needs to better communicate what he's looking for in that situation.

Now that could mean anything. Maybe the OL didn't block it the way he intended. Maybe the tail back was supposed to press, then bounce. Maybe the QB was supposed to keep it & throw it to the leaking TE....
In that Browns game, according to the mic'ed up, Watson called a different play than what OB wanted. It's the one where he throws the TD to Hopkins and OB tells Watson it was supposed to be a different play.

I don't think Watson has that much freedom to call his own plays yet.

In that Browns game, according to the mic'ed up, Watson called a different play than what OB wanted. It's the one where he throws the TD to Hopkins and OB tells Watson it was supposed to be a different play.

He audible several times a game.

We are now the #1 scoring offense.
And #29 in points giving up defense.

When does this all come together RS? Then, Defense = Hot Water / All the way on!...Offense = Cold Water / Valve Closed Until Further Notice! Now, Offense = Scorching Hot Water / That valve is wide open!!! Defense = Cold Water / Valve Firmly Shut!!! Hey RS, when can these valves be on at the same time? I'm pretty tired of getting scalded or frozen in the shower.

& this isn't like the NE game or the KC game where their defenses aren't playing up to par. The Seahawks had not allowed a TD in the first Qtr of any game this season. Watson scored twice. The Seahawks had not allowed a TD in the 4th Qtr of any game this season, until yesterday.

Personally, I'm only counting 2 INT's for Watson. The 3rd INT was just a throw to end the game...no serious chance for a comeback at that moment. O'Brien should've PA on 1st down to gauge how eager the Seahawks were in stopping his slam up the gut run. 2nd down would've been straight up Shotgun Pass Play featuring short slants by Hopkins and Ellington while Fuller keeps them honest. Might've gone as far as putting Hopkins in the slot. 3rd down would've been more of the same to keep the Seahawks defense guessing and if a lane opened, go Watson go. One first down was needed....that's all.

Not to pile on DeShaun Watson, but the way O'Brien explained it, it kinda makes you wonder. He said the issue wasn't the play call, but the way he communicated it to the offense. He went on to say he needs to better communicate what he's looking for in that situation...
I'm sure Watson can audible. But I think its unlikely that OB would expect him to audible in that situation. I'll have to listen to OB's comments but I would be surprised if he is passing the buck to Watson. Judging by Watson history I don't think he would have put the ball in any other players hands expect for his.

Not quite. It was the wrong formation. OB called for a specific formation but because of where they were on the field in relation to the hash marks, Watson changed the formation.

I'm sure Watson can audible. But I think its unlikely that OB would expect him to audible in that situation. I'll have to listen to OB's comments but I would be surprised if he is passing the buck to Watson. Judging by Watson history I don't think he would have put the ball in any other players hands expect for his.
I believe deshaun did the right thing and not change the call. Regardless of how good he is paying I don’t think it would have went over well for a ROOKIE to change the playcall at that moment. Now if he was a 2 year Vet I don’t think he’d have a issue.

I’ve been blaming O’Brein for calling stupid plays and time management in close games.

On the radio today, caller said O’Brein needs an assistant and hosts agreed maybe he does.

It hit me a few minutes later...he has one. Romeo Crennel “Assistant Head Coach”

What the heck is he doing? Because it ain’t helping the defense.

Why isn’t he yelling on the head set “timeout!!!” Or Bill don’t run Lamar “goes down at first contact” behind the weakest part of the Oline when the game is on the line.

Again, what is Romeo doing?

I’ve been blaming O’Brein for calling stupid plays and time management in close games.

On the radio today, caller said O’Brein needs an assistant and hosts agreed maybe he does.

It hit me a few minutes later...he has one. Romeo Crennel “Assistant Head Coach”

What the heck is he doing? Because it ain’t helping the defense.

Why isn’t he yelling on the head set “timeout!!!” Or Bill don’t run Lamar “goes down at first contact” behind the weakest part of the Oline when the game is on the line.

Again, what is Romeo doing?

Has anyone checked the Cheesy Poofs supply?

No he does not have that type of freedom. In his presser Watson clearly said, I ran what coach told me to run. (Paraphrasing)

This is why Bill O'Brien looked so depleted and disappointed in his presser. I have never seen him look like this before.

Coach knows he bleeped up.

Ever wonder if that look O'Brien had on his face had nothing to do with the way Watson executed his play call.....but the fact that he once again was going to get crucified for calling Miller's number 3 times to run the ball off center....while he had Watson!!! Second time you've "turned" the pooch O'Brien....third time might mean you're out and RS finally gets his dream scenario. Memo to O'Brien...don't let this happen again or you might force me to change my OptimisticTexan to CautiouslyOptimistic!!!

No he does not have that type of freedom. In his presser Watson clearly said, I ran what coach told me to run. (Paraphrasing)

This is why Bill O'Brien looked so depleted and disappointed in his presser. I have never seen him look like this before.

Coach knows he bleeped up.
It looked like he may have called a triple option for those last plays. Technically he was still giving D4 a chance to make something happen but the reads either just weren't there or he made the wrong reads. I'm not bashing either one of them but to me it looked like D4 still had control

It's one thing to change a play because the D hasn't reacted as expected. Pretty much every NFL offense has options for that. Kubiak the 'allow very few audibles' had 3 options called.

It's totally different for the QB to get the D anticipated and just say f'k you HC/OC I just disagree with your play call. Even a lot of senior QBs would get an ass-chewin' for that. A 6th start rookie who wasn't even the focus of the off-season, c'mon.

It's one thing to change a play because the D hasn't reacted as expected. Pretty much every NFL offense has options for that. Kubiak the 'allow very few audibles' had 3 options called.

It's totally different for the QB to get the D anticipated and just say f'k you HC/OC I just disagree with your play call. Even a lot of senior QBs would get an ass-chewin' for that. A 6th start rookie who wasn't even the focus of the off-season, c'mon.

I'm not saying all that.

O'Brien said he has to communicate better what he expected on that play. I don't know what that means. I offered suggestions, maybe he expected the OL to block it differently. Maybe he expected the RB to approach it differently, maybe he expected the QB to do something different.

Everyone wants to defend Watson so badly that it's the only option they want to argue.

I'm not saying all that.

O'Brien said he has to communicate better what he expected on that play. I don't know what that means. I offered suggestions, maybe he expected the OL to block it differently. Maybe he expected the RB to approach it differently, maybe he expected the QB to do something different.

Everyone wants to defend Watson so badly that it's the only option they want to argue.

It's coach speak for "I shouldn't have called the same play three times in a row"

:kitten:

What's more likely to have happened on the critical drive where a simple first down was needed?

A. Watson messed up O'Brien's called plays...three times in a row.

B. The pattern of those 3 running plays indicates that the plays called are more inline to O'Brien's history as a HC/OC for the Texans.

I should've mentioned that my answer is "B"...this blunder is squarely on O'Brien. Watson was just executing the plays called. O'Brien must've slipped back mentally to the tail-end of 2016 when he thought he could slam Miller 3 times to the left of center and get that first down against an 8 man front.

Last edited:
Thunderkyss I am not defending Watson.

I just know our coaches track record when it comes to situational football. He screws the pooch a lot in this department.

Looked an awful lot like the 2017 Seattle Seahawks to me.

d449f5dec46eddb54dbe80f1c62a8b2d.jpg

(Btw - i said 2012 Seahawks because that was Wilsons rookie year and the following year they won the Superbowl.)

Back