Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

**Official Game-Day Thread** Texans at Jaguars, Dec 17, 2017!!

Blake Bortles is on pace for a 500-yard passing game. He isn't Dan Marino in his prime is he? We're making him look a little too good! Over 300 yards passing with 7+ minutes left in the 3rd quarter.

Yeah....as much as I had faith in Vrabel the results speak loud and clearly.

But if I’m McNair it doesn’t matter because I’d wipe out the whole staff and front office.

Really, I’d have done that a while ago.

Real good linebacker coach. Not ready to be a DC yet. Simple as that. Hopefully he learned something this year because the Texans aren't usually in a hurry to reverse a bad decision. They like to wait around and see if it gets better on its own.

whats going on out there with the defense ain't got much to do with vrabel...the secondary has been getting beat like a drum...KJ has replaced buoye as a PI machine...only so much of that you can cover up from a scheme standpoint.

whats going on out there with the defense ain't got much to do with vrabel...the secondary has been getting beat like a drum...KJ has replaced buoye as a PI machine...only so much of that you can cover up from a scheme standpoint.
Of course if you had a healthy Watt and Mercilus a lot of that poor secondary would be greatly disguised with a potent pass rush (Clowney as a third wheel). And if you had Deshaun Watson at quarterback we'd probably be able to out-score the Jaguars should a shootout erupt.

Blake Bortles is on pace for a 500-yard passing game. He isn't Dan Marino in his prime is he? We're making him look a little too good! Over 300 yards passing with 7+ minutes left in the 3rd quarter.

Texans defense... curing what ails your team's offense since 2002.

Adam Wexler‏@awexlerKPRC
FB Tommy Bohanon playing in his 50th career game today. Had 1 career TD coming in (vs Texans in wk 1). Has 2 more TD (on 2 touches) today.

Did the announcer say standing room only at Jax? Really? Better check all them empty seats seen.

Not surprising. This is one of the worst Texans teams (once Watson went out). This Jaguars team would have swept the 2011 and 2012 Texans. They've actually beaten a couple of legit Super Bowl contenders and in-the-not-so-distant-past winners of the big game. The Texans have never done that, they've always gotten handled by those type of teams.

2017 Jaguars > any Texans team.

The Texans simply put were 10-6 in 2011, 12-4 in 2012 reg season. Matt Schaub was leading a juggernaut offense in 2011 before that career-changing lisfranc injury in Tampa Bay. The Texans still slugged it down the stretch without Schaub, and with the 3rd string qb, well into the playoffs. Could the 2017 Jags have done that with a serious quarterback issue? It's just Blake Bortles, but still...

The Texans of 2012 slaughtered, really slaughtered the eventual Super Bowl champ Ravens that season. They even went to the house of the 7-0 defensive slug machine Chicago Bears and beat them in the rain on national TV.

These 2017 Jags? Didn't they get trounced by the Titans this season thus far in Jax...same Titans team that the Texans totally destroyed at home when their STARTING QB Watson was still playing and well before Mariota went to the locker room? Didn't these 2017 Jags lose to the AZ Cardinals...the same Cardinals that these banged up Texans defeated, with Tom Savage, no less?

Nah, these 2017 Jaguars aren't "> any Texans" team unless they win the whole thing this year, lol.

Last edited:
Bortles has strung several good games in a row. Looks like he turned the corner and is becoming a good QB. I would kill to have Coughlin come and run things. He has been a winner everywhere he has been.

Stop it please. Bortles is the same guy he's been since he came into the league. The only difference is he's been mostly playing from the front and has had 33 extra possessions given to him b/c of his defense. They are a run 1st team. He hasn't turned a corner, he's just been turned into a game manager. I fully expect him to be who he's always been when the playoffs hit when more competent defenses make him win the game for his team .

Adam Wexler‏@awexlerKPRC
#Texans largest margin of defeat in Bill O'Brien era prior to today: 27 pts (27-0 last yr at Pats, Brissett).
Today will be new worst, right now it's 45-7.
3 of top 5 worst will be from this season (33-7 to Rams, 29-7 to Jags).

Ugly beat downs are becoming a staple for Bill OB.

This one, the other Jag game and the Rams game are the only loses I would consider as "beat downs". He's had a tough enough season without embellishing the margins. It's bad, it really is. Maybe a new coach comes in and rights the ship or just furthers the instability on this team. Who knows? It could go either way.

This one, the other Jag game and the Rams game are the only loses I would consider as "beat downs". He's had a tough enough season without embellishing the margins. It's bad, it really is. Maybe a new coach comes in and rights the ship or just furthers the instability on this team. Who knows? It could go either way.

What the hell are you talking about?

First of all you named 3 games in a 16 game season that still has two games left. Ummm...that’s a lot of games to get demolished in by itself....

Secondly, I didn’t say anything about this season alone.

Last season and the previous one OB had his team on the field getting their teeth kicked in in a few games...

The Astros came out of Harvey determined to do something special for the city of Houston. The Rockets came out of Harvey born again hard like they were shot out of a canon. The Texans came out of Harvey like a wet fart even before half their roster hit IR. This team was always going to do this. If they'd had Watson for the entire season they might have come up to the vicinity of .500 but the problems here are no longer masked by incompetent division rivals in Jacksonville and Tennessee or a Colts team without its star QB.

Nothing left but the reality that we've spent prime years of a number of players careers following Bill O'Brien's vagabond QB train and getting 9-7 records with meaningless AFC South titles for our trouble. Next year we'll need more and we've got less to work with than almost any time in Texans history.

Full quotes from Yates and BOB

Yates: "We were ready to play. We were excited, pumped up. There was a good energy before the game."

O’Brien: We couldn’t convert on third down on offense. Our defense had to keep going out there.

Yates: "Obviously they are an incredible defense. They do a great job of creating confusion up front. We didn't execute. There were plays out there to be made, just didn't make them."

T.J. Yates 'Pretty embarrassing I got to do a better job'

Yates on offense: "Pretty embarrassing. Nothing working, nothing going on. I've got to be better at everything."

Bill O'Brien 'no question' he's embarrassed

Bill O'Brien 'we know we have to coach better'

O'Brien: "It has been tough. Players are playing hard, but we haven't been able to get over the hump."

Bill O'Brien on this latest loss "terrible"

Bill O'Brien said Nick Martin looks like a 'pretty serious injury'

O'Brien on #Texans: "I don't think anybody quit. I was watching that. I didn't see that. I know our guys play hard. I never question that."

O'Brien on Jacksonville: "They are coached very well. They are a physical and tough team. They deserve to be where they are at."

O'Brien: "We got off to such a slow start offensively. We just couldn't convert on 3rd down and it snowballed for the whole team."

O'Brien: "I think they (Jaguars) did a better job than us today. They coached better. Our guys fought, played hard but obviously it wasn't good enough."

O'Brien: "We played the exact opposite of complimentary football. Terrible. We didn't coach well enough. We didn't do a good enough job."

O'Brien: "It is everything. It is not one position. We just have to do a better job."

What the hell are you talking about?

First of all you named 3 games in a 16 game season that still has two games left. Ummm...that’s a lot of games to get demolished in by itself....

Secondly, I didn’t say anything about this season alone.

Last season and the previous one OB had his team on the field getting their teeth kicked in in a few games...

But when I look at the sheer volume of players on IR, it's no wonder they're losing a few games by wide margins. The 29-7 loss was the worse one, IMHO because that was when the team was healthy. I can't even give a proper analysis of this team right now because there's such a large portion of it, starting from BEFORE the Rams game that won't even be on this or any roster next year. Maybe PS, maybe.

Honest question - do you think any HC in the NFL would have been competitive against the Rams or the Jaguars with the personnel on this team?

Now, to other seasons, almost every HC gets his doors blown off once in awhile (or they lose a game against a much lesser foe, like this past Monday nights game). You made it sound routine for O'Brien and that's just not true. He's also had stop gap QB's here until Watson. I know you don't care, it's too objective.

Last edited:
The Astros came out of Harvey determined to do something special for the city of Houston. The Rockets came out of Harvey born again hard like they were shot out of a canon. The Texans came out of Harvey like a wet fart even before half their roster hit IR. This team was always going to do this. If they'd had Watson for the entire season they might have come up to the vicinity of .500 but the problems here are no longer masked by incompetent division rivals in Jacksonville and Tennessee or a Colts team without its star QB.

Nothing left but the reality that we've spent prime years of a number of players careers following Bill O'Brien's vagabond QB train and getting 9-7 records with meaningless AFC South titles for our trouble. Next year we'll need more and we've got less to work with than almost any time in Texans history.

Sad but true.

A very Ike like season.

More wasted careers of great players. I dont see things getting better for atleast 3 yrs and this is only if McNair cleans house.

This season was over as soon as Deshaun got hurt. One could almost argue it was over the second they decided to go with Savage over Watson. We've seen this show before with a great defense. These awful non-Watson QBs with a horrible defense gets you these results. Regardless, my expectations were gone the second when Deshaun went down.

I think at this point given the season is over, I think I'd strategically shut down anyone with any real talent. There is no incentive in my mind to risk an injury to Hopkins given the state of the team. Just make up some injury if needed and tell him to get ready for next season. The last thing you want is a major injury that could impact next season when this one is in the dumps.

The outcome was ok in that it denies the Tacks the division crown.
The margin of the outcome was good because (I think) it deals a death blow to OB's career in Houston.

Crap.

Stinky.

Monkeys throwing turds.

Turds washing up on the beach of your lakehouse.

Your lakehouse rots and alligators eat your family and pets.

Birds discover oil.

The last of home sapiens is sacrified in an avian omelette.

Oil becomes self aware and Earth dies.

The sun becomes a red giant and Warren Moon screws an asteroid which has baby rocks.

Crap.

Stinky.

Monkeys throwing turds.

Turds washing up on the beach of your lakehouse.

Your lakehouse rots and alligators eat your family and pets.

Birds discover oil.

The last of home sapiens is sacrified in an avian omelette.

Oil becomes self aware and Earth dies.

The sun becomes a red giant and Warren Moon screws an asteroid which has baby rocks.

Somebody's hitting the mangos.

BTW, the 49ers gamethread is currently sitting at 130 pages.

Who would've thought the 49ers would have a brighter future than the Texans. Just goes to show how fast a team can turn around with a new, bright mgmt team/HC.

Texans defense... curing what ails your team's offense since 2002.

Adam Wexler‏@awexlerKPRC
FB Tommy Bohanon playing in his 50th career game today. Had 1 career TD coming in (vs Texans in wk 1). Has 2 more TD (on 2 touches) today.

patrick‏Verified account@PatDStat
This is the 5th time the Texans defensive have given up 400+ yards of offense to a team this season.
Previous three seasons under OB in 48 regular season games. 5.

The Texans, “we’ll get you Probowl votes!”

Who would've thought the 49ers would have a brighter future than the Texans. Just goes to show how fast a team can turn around with a new, bright mgmt team/HC.

Not really.. that new, bright mgmt team/HC was there at the beginning of the season and the team was still the same dumpster fire it had previously been.
It wasn't until the new, bright QB did things turn around for them (similar to what we were seeing when Watson was playing)

Reactions: JB

Injuries have ravished this season the most followed by the awful defense. 49ers would need years of good drafts before they come close

Injuries have ravished this season the most followed by the awful defense. 49ers would need years of good drafts before they come close

We shall see, they beat the Tacks today and have some good young talent on defense. Now that the 49ers have found their QB I think they're headed in the right direction. Plus they've got a ton of draft picks this yr.

The Texans not so much, unless you think Watt can turn the clock back. (Doubtful)

Back