Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Official Brock Osweiler MVP Watch Thread!

You do know I'm talking about the Falcons offense, not the Vikings.

I agree there is no excuse for our defense to look like that against the Vikings.
My bad. I had defense of the Vikings on my mind who are to defense what the Falcons have been to offense. Of coarse last season the Falcons got off to a hot start and then imploded.

I know that Os is taking most of the heat, and perhaps he should, but why can't our wr's win a one on one matchup? Teams playing man against us all day and no one can beat press coverage? Are our receivers that bad or the routes that bad and predictable?

I know that Os is taking most of the heat, and perhaps he should, but why can't our wr's win a one on one matchup? Teams playing man against us all day and no one can beat press coverage? Are our receivers that bad or the routes that bad and predictable?
I don't know the answer to your questions but it can't help that Os stares down his guy the whole time and then can't put the ball where the receiver has half a chance.

Reactions: JB
Agreed. Nuk has been covered like a blanket all season long with rarely any separation -- there's no reason to give him a cushion until we prove we can give Os enough time to develop deeper patterns. I believe Braxton Miller is the key to get the passing game on track with the pass protection issues we have. The middle of the field has not been attacked like it needs to be and we can get safety help leaning that way if we can consistently exploit the seams which will loosen things up for Nuk on the outside. I keep hearing that we run NE's offense but ours doesn't closely resemble NE's until we can get the ball to the slot receiver on quick slant routes.

Not sure what to make of O'Brien's presser....
Q: Is there anything that you’re not seeing from QB Brock Osweiler that you really need to see going forward for the offense to get back on track?

O'Brien: “I think Brock is working very hard. He’s very prepared. I think all of us, including himself, we all have to do a better job. I’m sure he’d be the first one to tell you. Look, he’s got to improve in this area, that area, you know all those things. I think overall, I’ve been happy with the way the guy prepares. Not happy with the way the offense has played. Not blaming it on anybody. Really taking responsibility for it here, right here because that’s where the responsibility lies when you’re the head football coach. That goes with defense and special teams, too. That’s what you’re charged with. You want to have a smart, fundamentally sound, productive football team and that’s not what we’ve had on the road twice this year. Again, let’s kind of rewind here a little bit. You know, we are 3-2. We’re not 0-5. We have a very big ballgame coming up here, so hopefully we can get things corrected and play better this week.”

Q: Is there more that can be done to get QB Brock Osweiler comfortable in the pocket when he’s under pressure?

O'Brien:“Yeah, certainly there is. I think it has to do a lot with how we design the routes, whether it’s getting more guys out on the route or having a different route concept for what the coverage may be, where he can throw on rhythm, throw on time. That’s what we’re working on right now to try to get him where he is a little bit more comfortable, because when he has been comfortable he has been very accurate and delivered the ball on time and it’s been very good. It’s a goal of ours to make sure we improve that.”

Strange they didn't talk to Osweiler. If they did HT.com didn't post any of his quotes.

Reactions: Max

Strange they didn't talk to Osweiler. If they did HT.com didn't post any of his quotes.
Not sure of there are fines for QB not addressing media but if there is, it seems like a pretty good use for some of that contract $ to lay low until he can say something other than 'I need to do better'.

The last part you underlined is something I hinted at. There seem so be times he looks like it has clicked and he nails it. Wondered if we know what the things he's comfortable with are.

I think it's a combination of things.

Defenses are bumping off the line of scrimmage with cover 2 over the top. Routes are slowed and front 7's are getting to oz because our ol sucks.

We cant beat that because we cant run. Our te's and rb's should be having field days against that coverage but no one really fears either. Cj looks like he can barely get down the field lately.

Oz gets hit, his accuracy dips drastically. On contested passes he hits the wrong shoulder or throws low when he should throw high to a guy like Hopkins.

Additionally, oz waits for guys to get open. He's not throwing them open. Windows close before the ball gets there...his anticipation is below average. Maybe that's the coaches fault for giving him to much responsibility.

Schematically maybe we're doing something to tip our hand. I remember watching Kubiak/shanny's route designs and combinations and being really impressed. I don't see that here. We're trotting out the same bunk over and over again. They look like pass plays someone playing Madden would draw up.

Here we went and got all this speed and playmaking ability. Ive seen no effort to get Braxton the ball in space. Have you seen Tyler Ervin highlights? Put him in space ( skip the obligatory kick return reply until after you watch the highlights. ) Both could be commodities but we're not using either correctly...or fuller5 for that matter. Wanna beat man but the qb doesn't have time? Mix in his speed with crossing routes. Wanna beat zone? Route combos to flood a zone. Wanna beat cover 2 like we're getting and cant run the ball. Send a te up the seam again and again. I don't mean rg or fideo. It's time to start putting Anderson in at te and attacking the seam.

All this seems elementary to me and why we haven't made these adjustments is beyond me. What else. If we can't beat another team we have to stop beating ourselves. The next time i see an os play fake that fools me will be the first. Stupid penalties. Stupid timeouts. How often do we draw teams off with a hard count? How often do we lose field position because guys return kicks 5 yards inside the end zone? How often do punt returners step inside the 10 to return a kick? How often have we seen fair catches with no one inside 7-8 yards. This team is great at exactly one thing. Shooting itself in the foot. We have an immature and undisciplined team. Our offense needs to do what our defense did after miami last year. Simplify.

One last thing, have any of you figured out what the "secret edge position" is yet? Yeah, me neither. End rant.

If this old woman who has never played football can tell what the play will be when they line up, I am sure the guys playing on defense know. It is easy to stop us. Just stop the run - real easy there and cover Nuk and Fuller, no one else is going to get more than a look once or twice a game and we never use the middle or TE's. Pretty easy to defense against us, even a caveman could do it.

Schematically maybe we're doing something to tip our hand. I remember watching Kubiak/shanny's route designs and combinations and being really impressed. I don't see that here. We're trotting out the same bunk over and over again. They look like pass plays someone playing Madden would draw up.

I think it's this in a nutshell. It's predictable and plain... and we can't run to make the defense even think about it

routes that bad and predictable?

^^^THIS^^^

The offense is stale and predictable. Hopkins, Fuller, Strong, and / or Miller HAS GOT to be able to beat man to man coverage a couple of times a game. Hell, even Prime Time Sanders got beat every now and again.

Reactions: JB
Remember the good old days when we actually thought we would have a top offenseandother teams would fear covering us. Wow were we ever sold a bill of goods.

At least I didn't wasted all my money buying NFL Game Pass, I did get to go back and watch Brady an actual quarterback.

We suck and will suck for a good half dozen years into the future.

Remember the good old days when we actually thought we would have a top offenseandother teams would fear covering us. Wow were we ever sold a bill of goods.

Remember when we actually did have a good offense and a good defense and teams did fear us? We fired the coach and all the staff

Why would they talk to Os at OB's presser?
Didja check the link? And yeah, maybe I misphrased the question. But the presser included several other guys; Hopkins, Fiedorowicz, Anderson, Su'a Filo, and a couple of others.
But no Osweiler questions/answers.
Why not?

Didja check the link? And yeah, maybe I misphrased the question. But the presser included several other guys; Hopkins, Fiedorowicz, Anderson, Su'a Filo, and a couple of others.
But no Osweiler questions/answers.
Why not?

No I replied to your statement. Wasn't it the weekly OB presser?

edit: I see now it was just quotes from different players and OB not a presser per say. Yeah kinda odd that no Os quotes and questions there

I scream to the heavens every game for this! It seems everything goes outside the numbers.
Also, you made me look up.

On Pro Football Reference, they chart throws with 6 categories (Short Left, Short Middle, Short Right, Deep Left, DM, and DR).

I look them up, and the Texans actually targeted the middle more than the opponent's through 5 games - maybe by 15-20 per cent.

Those were actual targets.

I also remember mentioning that Osweiler missed a few open receivers up the middle (as in, did not see) in the Pats game.
So he ended up throwing outside instead (resulting in incompletions.)

You forgot the INT where Osweiler threw into triple coverage up the middle. :choke:
That was a desperation throw. And as to your other post, the stats from PFF, it just doesn't feel like they target the middle of the field much. Maybe because all the stuff going outside is really bad.

^^^THIS^^^

The offense is stale and predictable. Hopkins, Fuller, Strong, and / or Miller HAS GOT to be able to beat man to man coverage a couple of times a game. Hell, even Prime Time Sanders got beat every now and again.
Remember that one play where Fido beat the coverage. The pass was completed for about a 30 yd gain. But the pass was under thrown and Fido was tackled as soon as he caught the ball. Had the pass been properly thrown where Fido caught it in stride he would have had 10 or 15 more yards. Fuller, with his speed would have had a TD. I see this too often. Oz does not have good placement with too many of his passes.

You forgot the INT where Osweiler threw into triple coverage up the middle. :choke:

There were also a couple of balls knocked away where he targeted receivers in the middle part of the field... also a couple of times where the TE was wide open running up the seem.

I understand the issue with the OL, he still needs to work that out... when he has time, when he doesn't. But still, I think he's not reading presnap what's there, or he's completely fooled (which I don't think is the case, even though Minnesota shifted a lot, I don't think there was anything exotic).

But after watching our offensive possessions again yesterday, when I saw the routes our guys were running vs the defenses Minnesota played, we left a lot of points out there. I won't go so far as to say what Brock's reads were, but there was a lot of simple stuff that I think should have been read.

Those LBs couldn't hang with Ryan Griffen, Xavier Rhodes couldn't cover Hopkins, & Will Fuller shook DBs all day long. There were plays to be made.

Remember during the game where Osweiler was clearly frustrated at something? Weeden said something to him, Brock slammed his fist on his book of pictures & it looked like he said, "I saw...." whatever & whatnot... I understand he's frustrated, but I wonder about his in game coachability. Once it starts going bad for him, I've yet to see him pull himself out.

The Texans and Brock Osweiler: Buyer’s Remorse?
The quarterback was supposed to make Houston a contender, but there are no guarantees beyond the millions of dollars
MINNEAPOLIS — Midway through the second half of the Texans’ lopsided loss to the Vikings on Sunday, Bill O’Brien’s conversation on the sideline was more important than what was happening on the field. While Minnesota marched 65 yards and took a 25-point lead, O’Brien leaned over the bench and huddled with his quarterback, Brock Osweiler, and coordinator George Godsey, to try and get a handle on an offense that hasn’t come close to finding its groove.

Courted away from Denver with a free-agent offer worth $18 million a year (and $37 million guaranteed), Osweiler was supposed to make the Texans a contender, but five games in he’s completed only 58% of his passes (27th in the NFL) and has thrown seven interceptions to six touchdowns—a bumpy start that wouldn’t be good for first place in any division except for the lowly AFC South.
http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/10/11/nfl-brock-osweiler-houston-texans-buyers-remorse

I'm not a Brock Osweiler fan. He wasn't how I wanted to answer the QB question this offseason.

Still, I think a lot of people are speaking way too early. There very well may be some pulling foots out of mouths before the season is over.

I'm not a Brock Osweiler fan. He wasn't how I wanted to answer the QB question this offseason.

Still, I think a lot of people are speaking way too early. There very well may be some pulling foots out of mouths before the season is over.

OK what was your plan thunderkyss ? Go with Savage or draft a QB this year in the first round like maybe Paxton, or something else ?

OK what was your plan thunderkyss ? Go with Savage or draft a QB this year in the first round like maybe Paxton, or something else ?

I think I'm smarter than everyone in the room. I'd have taken Connor Cook in the first or second round. I'd have drafted Dak Prescott.... I'd have drafted Aj McCarron two/three years ago instead of Tom Savage in the 4th (really the top of the 5th).

But that's neither here nor there, I was just stressing that I'm not a Brock fanboi.

A

A distinction has to be made between what I/we, as individuals, would like to see happen and what we expect OB/ the Texans to do. I personally would have Oz on a very short leash. Mainly because of what happened last year, I expect the Texans to stay with Oz longer than they maybe should. We have the Colts, Broncos and the Lions coming up before the bye. There's a reasonable chance we could be 4 and 4 at the half way mark. If so, I would like to see a change made.

i really think brock decides who he's gonna throw to before the snap. this is apparent when he gets stuck on certain players and throws to them 3-4 times in a row.

4-4 after 8 & you'd like to see a change made?

Not going to happen.
What about if we were to lose the 3 remaining games before the bye whicf woulf mean a 3-5 record ? I would not necessarily expect a change then because I think Brock is pretty much the starter in 2016 no matter what.
Now if he continues playing the way he's playing now and we end up with a losing record at year en, then for sure all bets about Mr Broc Osweiler are off.

What about if we were to lose the 3 remaining games before the bye whicf woulf mean a 3-5 record ? I would not necessarily expect a change then because I think Brock is pretty much the starter in 2016 no matter what.
Now if he continues playing the way he's playing now and we end up with a losing record at year en, then for sure all bets about Mr Broc Osweiler are off.

I honestly don't think the W-L record has anything to do with it. He'll have to play much, much worse than he has been to be pulled this year. O'b is going to have to believe it's a lost cause & I just don't think he's there yet.

We should fire the owner for forcing Rick and Bill to make a quick and hasty decision. He wanted this quarterback so get him out of here.
I understand the frustration but taking a minimal risk on Brock will not be the ruination of our team. We are only tied to him for one more season and then we can try again to get the quarterback situation right. If we suck bad enough, which I don't want to happen, but if we do, we will be set up for a chance at a franchise QB in the draft. Seeing us draft a competitior to Brock would probably be a good thing.

That said I am not worried about anything. We only have Brock one more season if he does not pan out. Very little harm and no foul.

Sometimes you have to be aggressive. I am on board with the Brock decision. Though I thougt when he had top 10 drafts in the past we should have addressed the QB position.

the o-line is a problem, but even when trashweiler he has a decent pocket he still holds on to the ball too long, stares down receivers, has poor footwork, makes bad reads, and horrible inaccurate throws.
I think you are right. However bad habits happen when a quarterback is used to the pocket breaking down and begins to thnk pressure is closer to him than what it is during those rare times his offense does a good job protecting him. When quarterbacks have the other team breathing down their necks more than half your snaps most of them start automatically anticipating. That is why the beginning of games are where the o-lines need to seize momentum by protecting enough that thier quarterbacks feel more comfortable in the pocket.

There is no doubt that the offensive and defensive lines of our team need to be addressed in next seasons draft.

After 12 starts;

QB (A)
55.7 % completions
19 TD, 23 INT
67.3 passer rating
6.2 Y/A

QB (B)
60.4% completions
15 TD, 12 INT
80.4 passer rating
6.7 Y/A

Even though Brock is statistically one of the worst QBs in the league right now, and it's frustrating as hell seeing guys like Wentz and Prescott with the fast starts, 12 games does not a career make.

(A) is Peyton, BTW.

After 12 starts;

QB (A)
55.7 % completions
19 TD, 23 INT
67.3 passer rating
6.2 Y/A

QB (B)
60.4% completions
15 TD, 12 INT
80.4 passer rating
6.7 Y/A

Even though Brock is statistically one of the worst QBs in the league right now, and it's frustrating as hell seeing guys like Wentz and Prescott with the fast starts, 12 games does not a career make.

(A) is Peyton, BTW.
Damn, I didn't know Peyton never became a starter until his fifth year.

:ahhaha:

Well if we are stuck with Brock or another year maybe we can get rid if OB, that would be good start.
You can tell by Dhops interviews that he doesn't really believe in Brock

Comparing a 5th year veteran with a rookie is utterly nonsense.

:choke:

wouldn't it depend on circumstances? A #1 to a 4th rounder running a scout team under how many different oc's? Maybe not so far fetched

Why do so many fans try their best to throw in the notion of a player being in the league for more than a year. It's pretty redundant and really doesn't make any sense. Brock being in the NFL for 5 years but only played half of season is basically a sophomore at this point. Another thing all because there are a few rookies that are playing good right now should not be an indictment on Brock's play. You have to factor in every component to make a team successful. Brock doesn't have the luxury of a healthy good offensive line. Brock doesn't have a good running game. Finally we don't have a good coaching staff. Yes his mechanics doesn't look good, his decision making isn't good and his mental time clock is racing at a high rate.

As we all can see there are different scenarios going on here. So we can not knock Brock for not being in a good situation like Dak and Wentz. Plus those two are not tasked with the entire playbook like Brock either. They are being brought along slowly

Back