Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Official Brock Osweiler MVP Watch Thread!

Did you watch today's game? He sucked by missing his reads and receivers all day long. No composure whatsoever NOBE!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never expected him to be elite. I just want him to play to win.

I expected a top five defense & a competent run game. we gave up 180 yards & 2 TDs on the first two drives, & still can't run the ball.

Osweiler didn't look like a franchise QB, but this didn't look like the team an average QB would have made a difference.

It's time for a change. But how long will OB go with Os? My guess would be mid-season, after the bye week.
Minnesotta's defense is no joke. Look at the quality of competition and the QB's they have more than handled and you will see that Brock was just another in line of QB's and offenses they have kept in check.

Sometimes you have to give credit where it is due. As far as these Vikings who are now 5-0, it is due.

So basically we gave Blaine Gabbert 70 mil to be our franchise QB.

Good move Ricky S...
I do not fault Rick Smith for Brock not meeting expectations. We had to be aggressive and Brock showed promise in Denver.

It might help if we had some semblence of an offensive line and a head coach calling the offense who knows how to mask that weakness to some extent.

There are maybe three of four QB's who could overcome our weak ass offensive line and lack of consistant play calling and weakly coordinated offenses.

There are obvious problems and they go much further than our starting QB.

I will say we are better than we have seen but our coaches need to evaluate thier part in our weak play the last three weeks.

Now that I have taken to task our coaches and players for not doing better I will give credit to the Vikings and thier coaching staff from the top down.

The Vikings are no joke and they have a perfect record and other teams they have beaten besides us to prove that fact. They are what we should be looking up to to try and become.

Could Brock do better? Yes and he does have obvious weaknesses. Still yet our other QB's are far from the saviors of the mess we are in at this tiime.

All that said the sky is not falling and we are still 3-2 in a weak division. There is plenty of time to get things right. Relax. We could be the ClevelandBrowns and have an 0-5 record with little hope of a turnaround.

We should be ashamed of the fact that this team is dead to rights without JJ Watt. One player away from being respectable. That is sad.

BS. Did you have that excuse ready whenever we fell far short of what we have been when JJ is on the field? We have shown multiple times our defense is a fart in the wind without JJ Watt. Whitney Mercilus is the only one who can apply any pressure with JJ Watt injured and not playing. Our defense has been together more than long enough. Excuses at this point are pure BS!

You do know I'm talking about the Falcons offense, not the Vikings.

I agree there is no excuse for our defense to look like that against the Vikings.

Minnesotta's defense is no joke. Look at the quality of competition and the QB's they have more than handled and you will see that Brock was just another in line of QB's and offenses they have kept in check.

Sometimes you have to give credit where it is due. As far as these Vikings who are now 5-0, it is due.
Oh I do give credit to the Vikings - they are a very good team, It's not the lose. I have to admit I couldn't stand to watch the whole game, but I did flip back regularly to watch a few minutes. What got my goat was Oz's poor play and our inability to score a TD until trash time. I would prefer to not sink or swim with Oz. We have two quality backups. If Oz can't turn his performance around by mid-season we need to see what Savage and Weeden can do .

We should fire the owner for forcing Rick and Bill to make a quick and hasty decision. He wanted this quarterback so get him out of here.

I just watched the game. Brock was much, much worse than even his statline may suggest. There were 2 very clear interceptions that were dropped by the Vikings (one of which should have been a pick 6) and many misses that weren't even close. He had an easy first down throw to the sideline and completely wiffed, bouncing the ball on the ground.

I'm very worried

I just watched the game. Brock was much, much worse than even his statline may suggest. There were 2 very clear interceptions that were dropped by the Vikings (one of which should have been a pick 6) and many misses that weren't even close. He had an easy first down throw to the sideline and completely wiffed, bouncing the ball on the ground.

I'm very worried

Why worry, most only worry at the fear of the unknown outcome. We atleast know what to expect, I'm just dissapointed.

Oh I do give credit to the Vikings - they are a very good team, It's not the lose. I have to admit I couldn't stand to watch the whole game, but I did flip back regularly to watch a few minutes. What got my goat was Oz's poor play and our inability to score a TD until trash time. I would prefer to not sink or swim with Oz. We have two quality backups. If Oz can't turn his performance around by mid-season we need to see what Savage and Weeden can do .
They are coached by the same coach so to me unless the coaches know how to utelize an offensive system to offset some of the weaknesses of our QB's, they will be no more than spitting in the wind. I do not feel they are the answer. There are too many weaknesses on this team for either or nearly any QB to fix.

Last edited:
Reactions: Max
National media is piling on Osweiler.

FoxSports.com: Brock Osweiler has been a $72 million disaster for the Texans

Sports Illustrated: Brock Osweiler hasn't looked like the answer for the Texans

CBSSports.com: Brock Osweiler's miserable performance makes fans on Twitter miss Hoyer, Weeden

SBNation: The Texans paid $72 for an upgrade at QB, but Brock Osweiler has been a downgrade

AP: Osweiler struggling to live up to $72 million contract

That's just from today. I expect more tomorrow. The general theme among them all is "Regression."

I was speaking with an Austin sports media personality today, and we were talking about conditions other than win/loss records that get coaches fired. His opinion was basically that rich public figures like McNair hate being embarrassed more than anything. These ugly losses are the most influential factors in a coach getting fired, and they're even worse when nationally televised. If that happens during the Monday night game against Denver, then I expect Osweiler to ride the bench for at least several games.

National media is piling on Osweiler.

FoxSports.com: Brock Osweiler has been a $72 million disaster for the Texans

Sports Illustrated: Brock Osweiler hasn't looked like the answer for the Texans

CBSSports.com: Brock Osweiler's miserable performance makes fans on Twitter miss Hoyer, Weeden

SBNation: The Texans paid $72 for an upgrade at QB, but Brock Osweiler has been a downgrade

AP: Osweiler struggling to live up to $72 million contract

That's just from today. I expect more tomorrow. The general theme among them all is "Regression."

I was speaking with an Austin sports media personality today, and we were talking about conditions other than win/loss records that get coaches fired. His opinion was basically that rich public figures like McNair hate being embarrassed more than anything. These ugly losses are the most influential factors in a coach getting fired, and they're even worse when nationally televised. If that happens during the Monday night game against Denver, then I expect Osweiler to ride the bench for at least several games.
For the most part I assume that the only people who know less about the Texans than the national media is pancakes.

I'm in a different camp than a lot here. Osweiler isn't fetal positioning out there. He's getting the ball out in a reasonable amount of time and he works in a pocket that is the size of a bath stall in China. Sure he's making some mistakes but if he's given any kind of time and throwing lanes, he's made some great throws. This Oline is an absolute joke. I don't think we know anything about Brock other than he can't play with a jr High quality OL protecting him. He seems to do better when we move him around a little bit (so that clark/brown aren't elbowing him in the back of the head while he's trying to throw). I know we have injuries but we need to find somebody. I'll be more worried if i start seeing him turtling and taking sacks instead of getting the ball out.

I do not fault Rick Smith for Brock not meeting expectations. We had to be aggressive and Brock showed promise in Denver.

It might help if we had some semblence of an offensive line and a head coach calling the offense who knows how to mask that weakness to some extent.
Rick Smith and Bill O'Brien had locked themselves in an office this past off-season while evaluating Brock Osweiler's "every pass thrown last year," as they worded it, prior to offering him that big contract in free agency.

The problem I had with that, and still do, is the fact that it was Brock Osweiler performing reasonably well in Gary Kubiak's West Coast system which features a lot of roll outs and bootlegs as we so well know. That is nothing like Bill O'Brien's complicated offense. The only similarities would be the deep passes he threw from inside the pocket or the play-action passes. Which require a consistently good running game to be effective. We couldn't run the ball that well against a tenacious Vikings defense yesterday. And once we fell behind 24-0 we had to pass the ball over 40 times.

Brock Osweiler would be a great quarterback playing for a head coach like Gary Kubiak. I'm surprised he left the Broncos the more I think about it. I would have left also if they had benched me in favor of an aging Peyton Manning who wasn't even all that good last year. The Broncos defense, mainly Von Miller's excellent play, and special teams carried them to that Super Bowl 50 win.

I truly believe had Brock Osweiler remained the starting quarterback and the Broncos had still won the Super Bowl he'd have re-signed there. It was an ego thing, perhaps. There are some reports that Brock Osweiler simply didn't like Gary Kubiak's system. Which is crazy I think, because he thrived playing in it. He looked a lot better playing in Kubiak's system than he does playing in O'Brien's offense.

Hopefully Brock Osweiler and Bill O'Brien can figure out how to maximize his potential and strengths as a player moving forward. So far I've been very underwhelmed and disappointed with what I have seen. With the exception of a few drives against lesser quality opponents like the Bears and Titans.

Last edited:
They are coached by the same coach so to me unless the coaches know how to utelize an offensive system to offset some of the weakness the other two QB's will no more than spitting in the wind. I do not feel they are the answer. There are too many weaknesses on this team for either or nearly any QB to fix.
I have questions regarding our coaching and and quite aware of the problems with our OL. But still, regarding QB play, it's a matter of how well you can read and react under pressure and how accurate you are under pressure. It's limitations in these areas I'm seeing in Oz. Given the limitations of our team, I'd like to see how well Savage and Weeden can perform under these same limitations.

Why are people saying it's the fault of the OL or the play calling or the defense.

I saw a nervous QB make poor decisions, throw into coverage, squirm around uncomfortably in the pocket, and generally play poorly. This led to 3 and outs which led to poor field position and a tired defense which to Vikings points

Some of his best drives were only successful because of penalties. He couldn't even do anything with the great punt return that put is on the 40.

Let's face it. BO stinks

Rick Smith and Bill O'Brien had locked themselves in an office this past off-season while evaluating Brock Osweiler's "every pass thrown last year," as they worded it, prior to offering him that big contract in free agency.

The problem I had with that, and still do, is the fact that it was Brock Osweiler performing reasonably well in Gary Kubiak's West Coast system which features a lot of roll outs and bootlegs as we so well know. That is nothing like Bill O'Brien's complicated offense. The only similarities would be the deep passes he threw from inside the pocket or the play-action passes. Which require a consistently good running game to be effective. We couldn't run the ball that well against a tenacious Vikings defense yesterday. And once we fell behind 24-0 we had to pass the ball over 40 times.

Brock Osweiler would be a great quarterback playing for a head coach like Gary Kubiak. I'm surprised he left the Broncos the more I think about it. I would have left also if they had benched me in favor of an aging Peyton Manning who wasn't even all that good last year. The Broncos defense, mainly Von Miller's excellent play, and special teams carried them to that Super Bowl 50 win.

I truly believe had Brock Osweiler remained the starting quarterback and the Broncos had still won the Super Bowl he'd have re-signed there. It was an ego thing, perhaps. There are some reports that Brock Osweiler simply didn't like Gary Kubiak's system. Which is crazy I think, because he thrived playing in it. He looked a lot better playing in Kubiak's system than he does playing in O'Brien's offense.

Hopefully Brock Osweiler and Bill O'Brien can figure out how to maximize his potential and strengths as a player moving forward. So far I've been very underwhelmed and disappointed with what I have seen. With the exception of a few drives against lesser quality opponents like the Bears and Titans.
The thing is Brock has flashed moments of greatness when he has had a reasonable amount of comfort from the pocket and coach O'Brien called a good game.

Against Tennesee he came out smoking hot but then the Titans coaches made some changes to how they would defend against Brock. In every game we have won Brock did an okay job at QB and has shown flashes of greatness. Our coaches need to do a better job in my opinion.

No matter who we place at QB those QB's will also be evaluted for weaknesses as will the tendancies of our own coaches. To me it was obvious that we were dead to rights because of our coaches being outcoached by the Pats and Vikings coaches. The Pats were down to a third string QB but the Pats proved to be better coaching thier team as opposed to how we coached our team in that game.

We can't expect our offense to have to come back in games like yesterday. It is hard to reclaim momentum. We did not do that.

I chalk this up to our coaching staff from the top down and thier inability to be effective with anything but above average line play.

There are other teams with subpar to just solid offensive and defensive lines who get more from both sides of the ball than we do.

I am not ready to see coach O'Brien fired but I am tired of losses like yesterday whenever it seems our team is gaining respect only to lose it.

Last edited:
For the most part I assume that the only people who know less about the Texans than the national media is pancakes.

I'm in a different camp than a lot here. Osweiler isn't fetal positioning out there. He's getting the ball out in a reasonable amount of time and he works in a pocket that is the size of a bath stall in China. Sure he's making some mistakes but if he's given any kind of time and throwing lanes, he's made some great throws. This Oline is an absolute joke. I don't think we know anything about Brock other than he can't play with a jr High quality OL protecting him. He seems to do better when we move him around a little bit (so that clark/brown aren't elbowing him in the back of the head while he's trying to throw). I know we have injuries but we need to find somebody. I'll be more worried if i start seeing him turtling and taking sacks instead of getting the ball out.

This is what I see also.

Plays have zero time to develop and CBs can stick to receivers for those few seconds like glue.

He's got 2 years at least.

Keep on trolling.

That's my stance as well.
Has he been terrible? Yup.
Is he in danger of losing his job? Nope, not until some time next year.
With that, I say meh to his play. Lots of finger pointing to go around thus far this year.

Reactions: Max
That's my stance as well.
Has he been terrible? Yup.
Is he in danger of losing his job? Nope, not until some time next year.
With that, I say meh to his play. Lots of finger pointing to go around thus far this year.

No doubt.

Bradford moved the ball at will against us.

Brock stunk up the joint.

The O line we even horrible than Brock.

Our receivers couldn't get open in three freaking quarters.

Fuller with 2 key drops.

Defense fought but dang they are so undisciplined.

Therefore it wasn't just Brock stinking up the joint.

Forgot to mention O'Brien's play calling is horrendous.

yeah Osweiler is bad

the OL is atrocious

the coaching staff is abysmal
Are you being sarcastic? If so I somewhat agree. However our O-line and D-lines need to do beter when they take on top tier teams. The coaching does well against middle of the road teams but top tier teams it seems we get beat in all facets of the game.

This is what I see also.

Plays have zero time to develop and CBs can stick to receivers for those few seconds like glue.

Against the Vikings.... Against the Patriots... most likely against the Broncos.

But other than that, he should be fine. Maybe the OL gets better, maybe not. But Osweiler is still trying to figure them out. As well as trying to figure his WRs & TEs, & RBs.

I still think after the bye we'll have a much better idea of who Osweiler is & we'll see more of this game plan offense.

Can we close this thread along with my most talented team thread. Both are dumb !
Can we please not start any more of these counting chickens before they've hatched threads in the future?
just asking....

You'd think we would have learned from last year's Hoyer Fan Club thread (or whatever it was called).

They are coached by the same coach so to me unless the coaches know how to utelize an offensive system to offset some of the weaknesses of our QB's, they will be no more than spitting in the wind. I do not feel they are the answer. There are too many weaknesses on this team for either or nearly any QB to fix.
Agreed. Coaching hasn't adjusted well enough to the weaknesses of the entire team. Offensive line weakness is contributing to OS' poor performance - I can't recall one quick release slant to a slot receiver this whole year that would mitigate poor pass protection. Our up the gut run blocking is atrocious -- we need more of an stretch/outside zone blocking scheme to get our playmakers the ball on the perimeter (we did some of this against the Vikes). And the play calling has been too reliant on the run game setting up the passing game. Teams don't need to respect our running game because we can't block well enough to make it work. Our default running play when Os checks out of a pass is up the gut for no gain every time. Check into a perimeter running play. We need to be a pass first team that mixes in the run as the defense gets on their heels.

Last edited:
Agreed. I would just just add that coaching needs to address more than the weaknesses of the QB but of the team. Offensive line weakness is contributing to OS' poor performance - I can't recall one quick release slant to a slot receiver this whole year that would mitigate poor pass protection. Our up the gut run blocking is atrocious -- we need more of an stretch/outside zone blocking scheme to get our playmakers the ball on the perimeter (we did some of this against the Vikes). And the play calling has been too reliant in the run game setting up the passing game. Teams don't respect our running game -- NE routinely stopped it with 3 down lineman. We need to be a pass first team that mixes in the run as the defense gets on their heels.
I stated on other post that the lines on both sides of the ball need to be better if it is at all possible and we need better play calliing. Basically I agree with everything you said.

Last edited:
Cian Fahey had some pretty interesting comments back in August. Click on the audio link under the picture of Brock.

http://houston.cbslocal.com/2016/08/19/cian-fahey-brock-osweiler-not-that-impressive/

We're seeing the things he talked about with Brock.
Brock is no different than a lot of young passers when they get little offensive line help. Heck if we could get the run game going it would help. Brock has obvious limitations but they are nothing to get too concerned with in my opinion. With proper tutelege he can improve. I just am not sure our staff is the right staff to coach him up. Time will tell.

Brock is no different than a lot of young passers when they get little offensive line help. Heck if we could get the run game going it would help. Brock has obvious limitations but they are nothing to get too concerned with in my opinion. With proper tutelege he can improve. I just am not sure our staff is the right staff to coach him up. Time will tell.

I heard Cian Fahey on 610 again last week and he basically said the same as you just wrote. He's a young starter in this league. I think by week 10 we should start to see Brock take the next step. I'm like a lot of Houston sports fans, I'm tired of being patient but in the case of Brock, I knew it would take time.

Fahey also said he doesn't like the scheme here in Houston for Brock.

the o-line is a problem, but even when trashweiler he has a decent pocket he still holds on to the ball too long, stares down receivers, has poor footwork, makes bad reads, and horrible inaccurate throws.

Last edited:
Are you being sarcastic? If so I somewhat agree. However our O-line and D-lines need to do beter when they take on top tier teams. The coaching does well against middle of the road teams but top tier teams it seems we get beat in all facets of the game.

I was being totally serious. With this OL, and the "game plan offense" he's working with Os is pretty bad. He may improve if the OL can come together and protect him for more than 3 seconds, and open some holes for the running game. It would help if the coaching staff would get it's head out and utilize what we have instead of square pegging.

Back