Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Now do i seem ridiculous?????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Carr is in a no-win situation.

Carr could complete 40 percent of passes have 14 ints and 10 Td's and Texans go 12-4 ..people will say "we could be 16-0 if we had a Qb that was any good"

or
Carr could complete 60% of passes have 34 td's and 4 ints and the Texans go 7-9and people will say "Carr isn't getting the W's"

so do you cut the red wire or the blue wire on that?

Wolf said:
Carr is in a no-win situation.

Carr could complete 40 percent of passes have 14 ints and 10 Td's and Texans go 12-4 ..people will say "we could be 16-0 if we had a Qb that was any good"

or
Carr could complete 60% of passes have 34 td's and 4 ints and the Texans go 7-9and people will say "Carr isn't getting the W's"

so do you cut the red wire or the blue wire on that?

Not following you here because those scenarios are backwards. If Carr throws for 60%, 34 TD's etc. chances are the Texans have the better record like your 12-4 scenario. I see that as a "win situation" for Carr.

If he does the other 40% of his passes, etc. chances are the Texans have the lesser record.

So I see Carr having a possible win situation. QB play has a LOT to do with the W's and L's.

Hookem Horns said:
Not following you here because those scenarios are backwards. If Carr throws for 60%, 34 TD's etc. chances are the Texans have the better record like your 12-4 scenario. I see that as a "win situation" for Carr.

If he does the other 40% of his passes, etc. chances are the Texans have the lesser record.

So I see Carr having a possible win situation. QB play has a LOT to do with the W's and L's.

I should have quoted the posts above.. they are saying they don't care about stats just "W"'s
I didn't do a good job exaggerating my point.

http://www.houstontexans.com/fan_zone/messageboards/showthread.php?t=26004
this thread talked a little about expectations and Carr

Hookem Horns said:

I thought Wolf's point was pretty clear--some people are going to filter whatever information comes in to meet their predetermined result of not liking Carr.

I'd say that is a fair assessment for Carr, politics and most debates. The flip side is true and there are people who will filter the results to say whatever Carr did was the best that could be expected under the circumstances.

infantrycak said:
I thought Wolf's point was pretty clear--some people are going to filter whatever information comes in to meet their predetermined result of not liking Carr.

...predetermined result of not liking Carr, Wand, Weary, TJ, Babin, Buchanon, etc.

I might add.

Should Andrew Walter be starting over Aaron Brooks??

it's a little off topic, but it's also a little comparable situation. Aaron Brooks played against the first team..... Andrew didn't. Most people believe Andrew looked better, and Oakland has a QB controversy going on right now.

Statwise, Aaron's numbers are better if not comparable to Carr's..... the only real difference is that Andrew(sp) is the future of Oakland....... which is a big difference. But judging from their performance, Monday night, and the Thursday before last...... would that be reason enough to start Andrew over Aaron??

thunderkyss said:
Statwise, Aaron's numbers are better if not comparable to Carr's..... the only real difference is that Andrew(sp) is the future of Oakland....... which is a big difference.

There wouldn't be any controversy in Oakland right now if Brooks had come in and performed to his normal average. His pre-season however has been miserable going 2 of 9 for 28 yds with 1 TD and 1 INT for a 37.5 QB rating. On top of the stats his missed throws have had to be put in mailboxes to be returned to the "if found please return" address because they have been so far off. That's the big difference.

infantrycak said:
On top of the stats his missed throws have had to be put in mailboxes to be returned to the "if found please return" address because they have been so far off. That's the big difference.

Now that is comedy.

infantrycak said:
There wouldn't be any controversy in Oakland right now if Brooks had come in and performed to his normal average. His pre-season however has been miserable going 2 of 9 for 28 yds with 1 TD and 1 INT for a 37.5 QB rating. On top of the stats his missed throws have had to be put in mailboxes to be returned to the "if found please return" address because they have been so far off. That's the big difference.

Post of the year right there lmao. :bananasplit:

Hulk75 said:
I would also do okay against the Chiefs 3 string guys, holy hand granade, the lack of talent drops off a lot from 1 to 3.

Sure you would. How would you do against USC or Texas? What about Katy High?

Seriously though, Rosenfels needs some reps with the first team to see how he performs. Allegedly he was brought in to give Davey some competition, so let's see it.

The good news is (hopefully) that if Rosenfels plays well in the preseason Kubiak won't have any issue with benching Carr... something that should have been done several times in his career.

the wonger need food said:
Sure you would. How would you do against USC or Texas? What about Katy High?

Seriously though, Rosenfels needs some reps with the first team to see how he performs. Allegedly he was brought in to give Davey some competition, so let's see it.

The good news is (hopefully) that if Rosenfels plays well in the preseason Kubiak won't have any issue with benching Carr... something that should have been done several times in his career.

Rosenfels has been a backup all 6 years in the league, and had two starts, and played in 13 games. The guy backed up Feeley and Ferrotte... He's not starter material. If he couldn't start for the Dolphins, or even Washington, why would we want him to start here? He'll be like Kubiak.... good off the bench, but a career backup.

KKHouston said:
Rosenfels has been a backup all 6 years in the league, and had two starts, and played in 13 games. The guy backed up Feeley and Ferrotte... He's not starter material. If he couldn't start for the Dolphins, or even Washington, why would we want him to start here? He'll be like Kubiak.... good off the bench, but a career backup.

Your opinion has been noted. However, I would argue that Carr has played like a career backup as well. The main difference is that Carr has had a lot more opportunities to show that he can be a quality NFL QB. Out of 70+ games that he has played (including preseason, and yes I've seen every single one of them) I have seen this in small peices and enough times to count on one hand.

the wonger need food said:
Your opinion has been noted. However, I would argue that Carr has played like a career backup as well. The main difference is that Carr has had a lot more opportunities to show that he can be a quality NFL QB. Out of 70+ games that he has played (including preseason, and yes I've seen every single one of them) I have seen this in small peices and enough times to count on one hand.

I think the situations are different, Wonger. Sage wasn't tossed into the mix at the very beginning of his career and expected to "Work it out" with the line, the coaching, and most importantly in my opinion, the "leadership" at the time.

Carr has shown flashes of brilliance. I've seen game 1 through now as well. As a Initial 4 seat PSL holder, I realize I may be biased towards Carr; I will support whatever the team decides is best. I do believe that Carr has what it takes, and will continue to believe he should be the starter, until proven differently. It's been reported (and with the lack of real reporting in Houston, it should be taken with a grain of salt) that all involved in decisions for the Texans belive Carr has what it takes to lead this team. I tend to agree. Would Kubiak really stake his reputation and acceptance here on Carr if he didn't believe in him?

KKHouston said:
Would Kubiak really stake his reputation and acceptance here on Carr if he didn't believe in him?
Of course he wouldn't. That doesn't seem to carry much weight with some Texan fans who are convinced they are better evaluators of the quarterback position than Kubiak.

KKHouston said:

Delhomme backed up Aaron Brooks for what 4 years?? but Somebody took a chance on him in Carolina.

thunderkyss said:
Delhomme backed up Aaron Brooks for what 4 years?? but Somebody took a chance on him in Carolina.

When Delhomme was brought in to Carolina, their other 2 QB's were Chris Weinke and Rodney Peete. And Delhomme had success in the NFLE and in the last two preseasons he played with New Orleans he had a passer rating of over 110 each of those two preseasons with a combined 68% completion percentage, 8 TD passes and 2 INT's, so he had shown some success before being signed by Carolina and it's not like Carolina had real solid QB's when he was brought in.

well that settles it. since Delhomme was behind Brooks the Texans need to bench their gazillion dollar investment because Sage looked good and David looked average in one pre-season game.

solid thinking

really

SnakeOilTanker said:
well that settles it. since Delhomme was behind Brooks the Texans need to bench their gazillion dollar investment because Sage looked good and David looked average in one pre-season game.

solid thinking

really

LOL

agreed...

Intelligences = SUM of ones own stupidity (or opinion)

texan279 said:
When Delhomme was brought in to Carolina, their other 2 QB's were Chris Weinke and Rodney Peete. And Delhomme had success in the NFLE and in the last two preseasons he played with New Orleans he had a passer rating of over 110 each of those two preseasons with a combined 68% completion percentage, 8 TD passes and 2 INT's, so he had shown some success before being signed by Carolina and it's not like Carolina had real solid QB's when he was brought in.
I'm going to have to take notes.... I don't remember where you stand on a couple of issues....

#1..... does preseason success mean anything?? Personally I believe it's usefull when evaluating talent.... Sage looking good in our preseason opener makes me want to see him play with the first team.... Delhomme's Preseason Success with NewOrleans has credibility in his ability to be a starting NFL QB....

#2... NFLE how much does that relate to the NFL..... personally, I think NCAA performance is more indicative of how the player will do in the NFL. Hence, Drew Henson's & Dave Ragone's success in NFLE shows me they have talent to play the game(which is what I knew when they came out of college)
I may be wrong, but again you seem to believe it adds to a guys credibility as an NFL Starter...

#3.... I've got to assume you believe we are "real solid" at the QB position??

look, I don't really want to argue this with you..... I usually end up dizzy, so let's try something else..

The sky is blue.......... your turn.

SnakeOilTanker said:

solid thinking

really

Is that what I said?? or is that the way you read it??

I've already stated I wouldn't replace Carr with Sage based on one preseason game where Carr only threw 5 passes.

I brought up Delhomme, because someone mentioned that Sage will only be a backup, since he's only been a backup.

thunderkyss said:
I'm going to have to take notes.... I don't remember where you stand on a couple of issues....

#1..... does preseason success mean anything?? Personally I believe it's usefull when evaluating talent.... Sage looking good in our preseason opener makes me want to see him play with the first team.... Delhomme's Preseason Success with NewOrleans has credibility in his ability to be a starting NFL QB....

#2... NFLE how much does that relate to the NFL..... personally, I think NCAA performance is more indicative of how the player will do in the NFL. Hence, Drew Henson's & Dave Ragone's success in NFLE shows me they have talent to play the game(which is what I knew when they came out of college)
I may be wrong, but again you seem to believe it adds to a guys credibility as an NFL Starter...

#3.... I've got to assume you believe we are "real solid" at the QB position??

look, I don't really want to argue this with you..... I usually end up dizzy, so let's try something else..

The sky is blue.......... your turn.

I am not arguing anything, just stating the fact that Delhomme had success in places before being signed by Carolina. You said Carolina took a chance on him after being a backup for 4 seasons but he did show success on some levels. Sage looked good but it's only one preseason game. Delhomme in 2 preseasons had a QB rating of over 110 and a 68 percent completion percentage. Sage has not really shown success on any level that I am aware of before coming here, and the little he has done in the NFL up to this point has been less than impressive. I dont't think success in the NFLE tranlsates to success in the NFL, but it shows something. DelHomme had success in the NFLE and some preseason games with the Saint's. Ragone and Henson had success in the NFLE, and Ragone is with his what 3rd team in less than two months? Henson is now what, the Cowboys #3 QB? Delhomme has been to a Super Bowl and an NFC Championship game in 3 season with Carolina. Delhomme has proved he can do it on the NFL level while the others have not is all I am saying.

texan279 said:
I am not arguing anything, just stating the fact that Delhomme had success in places before being signed by Carolina. You said Carolina took a chance on him after being a backup for 4 seasons but he did show success on some levels. Sage looked good but it's only one preseason game. Delhomme in 2 preseasons had a QB rating of over 110 and a 68 percent completion percentage. Sage has not really shown success on any level that I am aware of before coming here, and what the little he has done in the NFL up to this point has been less than impressive. I dont't think success in the NFLE tranlsates to success in the NFL, but it shows something. DelHomme had success in the NFLE and some preseason games with the Saint's. Ragone and Henson had success in the NFLE, and Ragone is with his what 3rd team in less than two months? Henson is now what, the Cowboys #3 QB? Delhomme has been to a Super Bowl and an NFC Championship game in 3 season with Carolina. Delhomme has proved he can do it on the NFL level while the others have not is all I am saying.

where are you getting these preseason stats??

just asking.

All I'm saying, is that just because Sage has been a backup for six years, doesn't mean that he will only be a backup for the next six years. Surely you can agree with that.

thunderkyss said:
where are you getting these preseason stats??

just asking.

All I'm saying, is that just because Sage has been a backup for six years, doesn't mean that he will only be a backup for the next six years. Surely you can agree with that.

I am not saying that, but I am not ready to put in Sage as the starter because he had one good preseason game against 2nd and 3rd team guys on a beat up Kansas City team. I got the stats from wikipedia.

Good lord--talk about a thread full of overanalysis and overhyping. Neither QB looked spectacular or bad. They walked out of the game with mediocre at best QB ratings--Carr 71.3 and Sage 66.4. Seems pretty silly IMO for folks to be acting like Carr looked like Aaron Brooks and Sage looked like Jay Cutler. They both played reasonably well with their units against the competition they faced.

texan279 said:
I am not saying that, but I am not ready to put in Sage as the starter because he had one good preseason game against 2nd and 3rd team guys on a beat up Kansas City team. I got the stats from wikipedia.

we agree...... I haven't said otherwise.........

infantrycak said:
Good lord--talk about a thread full of overanalysis and overhyping. Neither QB looked spectacular or bad. They walked out of the game with mediocre at best QB ratings--Carr 71.3 and Sage 66.4. Seems pretty silly IMO for folks to be acting like Carr looked like Aaron Brooks and Sage looked like Jay Cutler. They both played reasonably well with their units against the competition they faced.

And with that, the most logical, sensable post in the entire thread, this thread should be locked and the key thrown away...:hides:

infantrycak said:
Seems pretty silly IMO for folks to be acting like Carr looked like Aaron Brooks and Sage looked like Jay Cutler.
So you're implying that the Texans should have selected Jay Cutler #1?

thunderkyss said:

Oh, I see......

Well, then give David two more years until he reaches the six-year mark. If Sage has had six years to crack the starter position, and hasn't been able to, then give David two more years to show that he shouldn't be a starter.

This is what I talk about when I say people have it in for David for much more than just the "He isn't a good quarterback" theory.

You are blatantly saying that Sage has the potential to NOT be a backup for the next six years? Then why doesn't David have the potential to flourish as the starter that he was drafted to be? Technically, David has two more years according to your comments in that last post. Otherwise, what's the difference?

(This is where we get the "David was a number 1 overall...and he has had a long time to prove he's a starter...and Sage was on bad teams..." and a whole host of other half-truths that prop up the Sage constituents).

- Still ridiculous after all these posts

gpshafer_1976 said:
Oh, I see......

Well, then give David two more years until he reaches the six-year mark. If Sage has had six years to crack the starter position, and hasn't been able to, then give David two more years to show that he shouldn't be a starter.

This is what I talk about when I say people have it in for David for much more than just the "He isn't a good quarterback" theory.

You are blatantly saying that Sage has the potential to NOT be a backup for the next six years? Then why doesn't David have the potential to flourish as the starter that he was drafted to be? Technically, David has two more years according to your comments in that last post. Otherwise, what's the difference?

(This is where we get the "David was a number 1 overall...and he has had a long time to prove he's a starter...and Sage was on bad teams..." and a whole host of other half-truths that prop up the Sage constituents).

- Still ridiculous after all these posts

game, point, match... gpshafer_1976

This is what david carr fans do when you suggest that another qb should get first team PRESEASON reps...21 pages of debate which i've stayed out of for the most part

swtbound07 said:
This is what david carr fans do when you suggest that another qb should get first team PRESEASON reps...21 pages of debate which i've stayed out of for the most part

Yea you've stayed out of it .... like screaming fire in a crowded theater and standing in the corner and giggling as people climb all over each other to get out .....

chuckm said:
Yea you've stayed out of it .... like screaming fire in a crowded theater and standing in the corner and giggling as people climb all over each other to get out .....

:cowboy1: :perfect10:

chuckm said:

that was probably the most apt analogy used on this board in a long time.....rep for you!

swtbound07 said:

images

Life is so unfair, isn't it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back