Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Now do i seem ridiculous?????

Status
Not open for further replies.
swtbound07 said:
i fall under the category that wants W's...screw the stats.

Well we won last Saturday, and we scored on one of the two possessions while Carr was in the game, so why'd you start this thread?

texan279 said:
Well we won last Saturday, and we scored on one of the two possessions while Carr was in the game, so why'd you start this thread?

because we won due to the performance of Sage Rosenfels of course....where were you?

swtbound07 said:
5 years....is one .500 season too much to ask?
was the people around him good? you take Bradford over Moulds? Billy Miller over (take your pick) joppru,Putzer,etc.. or even Flanagan over McKinney at Center?

swtbound07 said:
because we won due to the performance of Sage Rosenfels of course....where were you?

Seriously, this pot has been stirred, overboiled and burnt to the stove. You've made your point. No need to mention it every time a four letter word starting in C comes up or to poke anyone who says the slightest positive thing about the C word.

swtbound07 said:

I guess the drive we scored on with Carr in the game and the defense had nothing at all to do with the win...

swtbound07 said:

i'd go along the lines of our 2nd string defensive line.. they tore up the KC 2nd string OL..

Larry Johnson was ripping us a new one up the middle (not to say we wouldn't have made adjustments) and Spencer was kicking their DE all over the place.

swtbound07 said:
when it became the popular thing to think....

swtbound07........... I feel you. after watching Sage Saturday, my "notion" that Kubiak wanted him........ not only to push Carr, but to be the starter in the event Carr doesn't work out...... has been solidified. & I'm not as worried as I was about looking for a QB two years from now, if/when we concede David ain't gonna get it done.

Lord knows I don't drink the David Carr Koolaid...... but I understand making David Carr successful is as big a part of the organizations agenda as making the Texans successful.

Now I am old school, I like for players to come into an organization to start their careers, and end their careers on their terms... I hate the 49ers for how they treated Montanna....... I hate the Titans more for the way they treated McNair than anything BudAdams did to the city of Houston.

& right now, I'm as skeptical as the next guy(maybe not to the degree that you are) that David is not the man for the Texans. But........ I think it is the right thing to do.

The only thing that really upsets me, is that David has only given us one good season, and people on this board will die for him. While DD has given us three years and his left(??) knee..... but they are ready to toss him aside.

TJ...... Babin........ Weary..... Brown...... IMHO if we were going to pass on Vince Young so that David Can have a fair shot, then we should extend that same chance to all these players as well. Kubiak has...... for the most part. But the attitude of many of the posters on this board gets me down.

IMHO, David doesn't look any better than he did last year, but..... he only threw 5 passes...... we can't promote Sage on that alone.

David's going to screw up a lot....... I'm telling you that right now. you'll only be upsetting yourself, if you plan on doing this all year.

From my experience here on this board, everybody knows David screwed up alot last year(though they won't admit it) and he will screw up alot in the year to come...... but they all want to do the right thing, and that is to give David a fair chance.... and you can't fault them for that. IT's more important to them to be decent people than it is to win football games.......

As ****ty as Houston Fans are..... it's nice that they are decent folks after all.

Wolf said:
was the people around him good? you take Bradford over Moulds? Billy Miller over (take your pick) joppru,Putzer,etc.. or even Flanagan over McKinney at Center?

I'd take Billy Miller back any day of the week. and teams have won with Bradford & McKinney...... and they'll win with Milford Brown and Jabar Gaffney.

thunderkyss said:
I'd take Billy Miller back any day of the week.

You would seriously take Billy Miller back over Putzier, Bruener, Daniels, or Joppru? By the way Miller is now with the Saint's, his 3rd team in 3 seasons.

texan279 said:
You would seriously take Billy Miller back over Putzier, Bruener, Daniels, or Joppru? By the way Miller is now with the Saint's, his 3rd team in 3 seasons.

What do you have against billy miller? Great reieving tight end...i'd take him back over fragile joppru or unproven owen anyday

thunderkyss said:
I'd take Billy Miller back any day of the week. and teams have won with Bradford & McKinney...... and they'll win with Milford Brown and Jabar Gaffney.

Sure teams have won with Bradford and McKinney, the Packers won with Bradford but also had Brett Favre, Ahman Green, Antonio Freeman, Bubba Franks, and a pretty good defense during that time. The Colts had 2 winning seasons out of the 4 McKinney was there along with Manning, Edge James, Marvin Harrison. Not sure how good the Cards and Eagles are gonna be this season though...

swtbound07 said:
What do you have against billy miller? Great reieving tight end...i'd take him back over fragile joppru or unproven owen anyday

I have nothing against him, but if he was that good he would have stuck with a team by now. He has been with 3 teams in the last 3 seasons and 4 teams in his 8 year career, and you know it's bad when you are released from the Texans by the Capers' regime.

While everyone is taking a breather from the debate over the trial of the century, what would yall think of Jake Plummer being traded to us if DC doesnt produce and Cutler becomes the Elway's second coming?

That would be hilarious...

TexansBull said:
While everyone is taking a breather from the debate over the trial of the century, what would yall think of Jake Plummer being traded to us if DC doesnt produce and Cutler becomes the Elway's second coming?

I'd pass on Plummer...

Almost as funny as everyone trying critique a players peformance down to every breath on a limited downs in preseason.

holly cow ..miller is a WR turned TE and y'all would keep him after Cleveland (with ole JR injured) let him go and now in N.O. he is 3rd string

I wished Billy Miller the best and I wished he'd had stayed but NFL wise .he didn't have starting talent (by what is shown by 3 teams now)

Wolf said:
I expect 2004 stats or better this season.. he has more talent around him than any time else.. no reason he can't do the 2004 stats.. even learning a new system..

In another thread, I've stated that if his stats are a little better than 2004 (basically career bests across the board), I'll be happy because that's more than good enough to win on a good team. I've also said that I'm hoping for 8 wins but expecting 5 this season.

Whether I throw him under the bus at the end of this season will be based on whether I think he lost games with his play. We could win 12+ games but if his performance isn't good, then I'll be calling for someone else. OTOH, we could lose 12+ and if I think he performed well and we lost because the team as a whole didn't step up, then I won't be asking for his head.

But that's just me.

TexansBull said:

I would NOT be laughing. I do NOT want Plummer on this team.

texan279 said:

Of the guys you mentioned, only Putz has caught more passess, and has more recieving yards than Billy Miller...... So, until I have someone that is better than him, who has proven that he can produce more than him....... yes....... I'd take Billy Miller over Daniels or Jopru.....

texan279 said:

So....... three teams believe Bill Miller has NFL talent?? Is that supposed to be a bad thing??

texan279 said:
Sure teams have won with Bradford and McKinney, the Packers won with Bradford but also had Brett Favre, Ahman Green, Antonio Freeman, Bubba Franks, and a pretty good defense during that time.
& We had Carr, DD, Andre, Bruenner....... and a decent defense at one time.... what's your point??

texan279 said:
The Colts had 2 winning seasons out of the 4 McKinney was there along with Manning, Edge James, Marvin Harrison.
Again, is that a knock against McKinney?? & if we are comparing
Manning to Carr....... Edge to Domanick........ & Harrison to Andre...... where would you see the biggest discrepency??
texan279 said:
Not sure how good the Cards and Eagles are gonna be this season though...

I'm still not seeing your argument....... are you saying those teams are better off without said players??

texan279 said:
I have nothing against him, but if he was that good he would have stuck with a team by now. He has been with 3 teams in the last 3 seasons and 4 teams in his 8 year career, and you know it's bad when you are released from the Texans by the Capers' regime.

Billy Miller would have been an assett on this team the last two years, when we had little to no recieving Tightend threat.

Wolf said:
holly cow ..miller is a WR turned TE and y'all would keep him after Cleveland (with ole JR injured) let him go and now in N.O. he is 3rd string

I wished Billy Miller the best and I wished he'd had stayed but NFL wise .he didn't have starting talent (by what is shown by 3 teams now)

JebPutzier is a wide reciever turned Tightend.... is that a problem??

& we didn't have starting talent at tightend for the last two years....

After reading the last few posts, I am just speechless.

I know, I know. We're all entitled to our opinions. So, congratulations: Your opinion has been heard.

Wow.

Originally Posted by texan279

Of the guys you mentioned, only Putz has caught more passess, and has more recieving yards than Billy Miller...... So, until I have someone that is better than him, who has proven that he can produce more than him....... yes....... I'd take Billy Miller over Daniels or Jopru.....

There is more than receiving yards and catches when it comes to a good tight end.

Quote:

So....... three teams believe Bill Miller has NFL talent?? Is that supposed to be a bad thing??

When you have been dumped by the Texans and Browns, I consider that pretty bad.

Quote:
Sure teams have won with Bradford and McKinney, the Packers won with Bradford but also had Brett Favre, Ahman Green, Antonio Freeman, Bubba Franks, and a pretty good defense during that time.

& We had Carr, DD, Andre, Bruenner....... and a decent defense at one time.... what's your point??

Carr is no Favre, DD is no Ahman Green, and Bruener is no Franks.

Quote:
The Colts had 2 winning seasons out of the 4 McKinney was there along with Manning, Edge James, Marvin Harrison.

Manning to Carr....... Edge to Domanick........ & Harrison to Andre...... where would you see the biggest discrepency??

Not a knock against McKinney, and I did not compare any of the above players mentioned, just stated that when the Colts had won with McKinney like you stated, that Manning, Edge, and Harrison were all on that team, I never compared them to anyone on our team.
Quote:

I'm still not seeing your argument....... are you saying those teams are better off without said players??

Not saying they are better off without them, but you said the Cards and Eagles would win with Gaffney and Brown, which to me came across like you think these guys are going to put these teams over the top. Gaffney will be the Eagles 3rd WR and Brown is going to start at guard, and I don't see either of them making a major impact on their perspective teams, maybe an improvement over the guys they replaced, but I just do not see them doing anything special.

texan279 said:

There is more than receiving yards and catches when it comes to a good tight end.
our problem with Tightend over the last two years, was that we didn't have a true recieving tightend.... Billy's problem..... far as I can tell was that he wasn't the best blocker. Billy would have solved the problem of recieving tightend, and given David a proven third option to Andre & DD.
texan279 said:
Quote:

When you have been dumped by the Texans and Browns, I consider that pretty bad.
Didn't the Browns send an entire offensive line.... or defensive line or something to Denver that worked out pretty good for Shanahan?? Haven't we been saying Caper's wouldn't know talent if you beat him with it??
texan279 said:
Quote:

Carr is no Favre, DD is no Ahman Green, and Bruener is no Franks.
Again, I'm not getting what you are saying.... are you saying our QB shouldn't be starting in the NFL?? That our RB doesn't add between 1300 & 1800 yrds of offense every year, and that our Tightend is lucky to be in the league??

We had talented players...... Enough to have a .500 seaso by now.

texan279 said:
Quote:

Not a knock against McKinney, and I did not compare any of the above players mentioned, just stated that when the Colts had won with McKinney like you stated, that Manning, Edge, and Harrison were all on that team, I never compared them to anyone on our team.
well if you don't think our players compare with any of those players, then we should've just started over, drafted Vince, and call it rebuilding.

texan279 said:
Quote:

Not saying they are better off without them, but you said the Cards and Eagles would win with Gaffney and Brown, which to me came across like you think these guys are going to put these teams over the top. Gaffney will be the Eagles 3rd WR and Brown is going to start at guard, and I don't see either of them making a major impact on their perspective teams, maybe an improvement over the guys they replaced, but I just do not see them doing anything special.
I'm not saying either of those two are the "put you over the top" players..... those guys are role players, and they did their job for us.... just because Capers got rid of them doesn't mean they don't have talent to play in this league, or the ability to contribute to an NFL team.

but since we are on the subject, I think Gaffney is better than any reciever the Eagles have on their roster today...... I think it will be obvious to everyone else, come December. To clarify..... I didn't say before now that Gaffney is a "push them over the top" player" I beleive he is....... but haven't said so until now

At some point in time you are going to have to look beyond talent as factors for winning and losing. You can't forget about the lack of creativity for play calling or the constant audible run to the left. Those are things that talent can't make up for. Remember, even if we had a tight end that could catch, we probably wouldn't have used him. I don't know if you remember when Billy Miller was here, but he used to go on FOX sports & also ABC 13 sports and talk with them about the games. I remember one time that he was aggrevated because he wasn't getting the ball thrown to him during the game and made some comment about our winning % when he has catches. So, stating that we would have used the talent we had is incorrect. We didn't and we wouldn't have. There are too many factors to say any player we had in the past sucked because they couldn't perform in our system. Look at Posey, didn't he go to San Diego & go to the pro bowl? (I think that was his name or Foley, can't remember) Our previous staff couldn't game plan or use anyone, even if they were a super star like Favre or TO, Brady or Harrison. I would be willing to bet if we had some of the top talent in the league under our old coaching staff we still would have lost.

Cjeremy635 said:
At some point in time you are going to have to look beyond talent as factors for winning and losing. You can't forget about the lack of creativity for play calling or the constant audible run to the left. Those are things that talent can't make up for. Remember, even if we had a tight end that could catch, we probably wouldn't have used him. I don't know if you remember when Billy Miller was here, but he used to go on FOX sports & also ABC 13 sports and talk with them about the games. I remember one time that he was aggrevated because he wasn't getting the ball thrown to him during the game and made some comment about our winning % when he has catches. So, stating that we would have used the talent we had is incorrect. We didn't and we wouldn't have. There are too many factors to say any player we had in the past sucked because they couldn't perform in our system. Look at Posey, didn't he go to San Diego & go to the pro bowl? (I think that was his name or Foley, can't remember) Our previous staff couldn't game plan or use anyone, even if they were a super star like Favre or TO, Brady or Harrison. I would be willing to bet if we had some of the top talent in the league under our old coaching staff we still would have lost.

Overall, good points, but you are arguing points no one has made. My main point.... about Billy Miller anyway... is that we've been lacking a pass recieving Tightend, and a recieving threat to ease the double teams on AJ...... Billy Miller would have helped in those two areas..

that's all.

Your points about the proper use of talent by the previous coaching staff, is directly inline with mine.

thunderkyss said:
our problem with Tightend over the last two years, was that we didn't have a true recieving tightend.... Billy's problem..... far as I can tell was that he wasn't the best blocker. Billy would have solved the problem of recieving tightend, and given David a proven third option to Andre & DD.

Miller has only been gone 1 year. He was here 2002-2004. He accounted for 178 yds in 2004 out of 3550 yds. Much of that drop in production from 2002 was scheme but Miller is not a starting quality TE and was released by Shanahan/Kubiak prior to coming here in addition to his trouble having any team accept him since departing.

I think Gaffney is better than any reciever the Eagles have on their roster today...... I think it will be obvious to everyone else, come December. To clarify..... I didn't say before now that Gaffney is a "push them over the top" player" I beleive he is....... but haven't said so until now

You should give Andy Reid a call because he sure needs to be moving Gaff up the depth chart.

infantrycak said:
You should give Andy Reid a call because he sure needs to be moving Gaff up the depth chart.
I've been told he is really struggling with the intensity of Reid's camp and is having trouble picking the offense up after a good showing in mini-camps. He is battling for the last wr spot.

infantrycak said:
Miller has only been gone 1 year. He was here 2002-2004. He accounted for 178 yds in 2004 out of 3550 yds. Much of that drop in production from 2002 was scheme but Miller is not a starting quality TE and was released by Shanahan/Kubiak prior to coming here in addition to his trouble having any team accept him since departing.
Before the draft, there were many people hoping we'd get a pass catching tightend.... In free agency, there was quite a bit of excitement for gettting JebPutzier

What am I missing?? Billy Miller has been our best recieving tightend to date. I don't care what Romeo Krennel thought about him, or that Denver cut him. He worked for us. I'm not saying he was the best in the league...... I'm not saying he should be starting in place of Kellen Winslow...... all I'm saying is that we had a pass catching tightend, and we let him go. & if I could find a spot for him on our team, I would.
infantrycak said:

what's his number??

thunderkyss said:
swtbound07........... I feel you. after watching Sage Saturday, my "notion" that Kubiak wanted him........ not only to push Carr, but to be the starter in the event Carr doesn't work out...... has been solidified. & I'm not as worried as I was about looking for a QB two years from now, if/when we concede David ain't gonna get it done.

Lord knows I don't drink the David Carr Koolaid...... but I understand making David Carr successful is as big a part of the organizations agenda as making the Texans successful.

Now I am old school, I like for players to come into an organization to start their careers, and end their careers on their terms... I hate the 49ers for how they treated Montanna....... I hate the Titans more for the way they treated McNair than anything BudAdams did to the city of Houston.

& right now, I'm as skeptical as the next guy(maybe not to the degree that you are) that David is not the man for the Texans. But........ I think it is the right thing to do.

The only thing that really upsets me, is that David has only given us one good season, and people on this board will die for him. While DD has given us three years and his left(??) knee..... but they are ready to toss him aside.

TJ...... Babin........ Weary..... Brown...... IMHO if we were going to pass on Vince Young so that David Can have a fair shot, then we should extend that same chance to all these players as well. Kubiak has...... for the most part. But the attitude of many of the posters on this board gets me down.

IMHO, David doesn't look any better than he did last year, but..... he only threw 5 passes...... we can't promote Sage on that alone.

David's going to screw up a lot....... I'm telling you that right now. you'll only be upsetting yourself, if you plan on doing this all year.

From my experience here on this board, everybody knows David screwed up alot last year(though they won't admit it) and he will screw up alot in the year to come...... but they all want to do the right thing, and that is to give David a fair chance.... and you can't fault them for that. IT's more important to them to be decent people than it is to win football games.......

As ****ty as Houston Fans are..... it's nice that they are decent folks after all.

How are we going to go your predicted 13-3 if you think David or Sage or whoever are going to make a ton of mistakes. To go 13-3 you have to have more than just a so-so QB. There is no malice in my question, just curious?

Hardcore Texan said:
How are we going to go your predicted 13-3 if you think David or Sage or whoever are going to make a ton of mistakes. To go 13-3 you have to have more than just a so-so QB. There is no malice in my question, just curious?

David's mistake aren't really the throwing the ball into coverage kind of mistakes. He normally makes good decisions, and protects the ball.....

when I say he's going to screw up, so get ready for it, I mean he's going to run into the occasional sack.... he's going to not see open recievers... he's going to not audible when he should. We'll probably get a few delay of games on #8 as well. David isn't going to be perfect......... but I'm hoping he'll get the job done regardless........ kinda like BenRothlisberg, or Tom Brady the first year they won the SuperBowl.

IMO, Owen Daniel is going to be a great TE, from what little I have seen from him in the preseason, and what I have heard Kubiak say....at least the potential is there.

I like Billy Miller and think he will have a special place with Texans fans and should always be recognized for his signature moment, that is for sure, and I wish him luck. But no way do I see him making this squad. We are too deep at TE, with lots of talent.

thunderkyss said:
Before the draft, there were many people hoping we'd get a pass catching tightend...
The Texans did draft a pass catching TE. Owen Daniels #81. Check him out this Saturday against the Rams, I think you'll like what you see.

Billy Miller was a good receiving TE for the Texans. Was. In the '03 offseason, the Texans asked Miller to put on weight in order to become a better blocker. The additional weight didn't help that much in the blocking department, and it really hurt Billy's ability to create seperation from linebackers. Miller became a guy who wasn't a good blocker and not able to uncover. And that's why he's struggling to stay in the league.

I'm just happy seeing the TE being utilized now.:bananasplit:
David will benifit by having Owens,Putznier,and Benny in the mix now and open up the running game with effective protection.
With David rolling out more, the TE will find a way to get open more offten. :shades:

swtbound07 said:
5 years....is one .500 season too much to ask?

texan279 said:
Well in the last 4 years it was too much to ask due to poor coaching and lack of talent.

Wolf said:

thunderkyss said:

For all the people coming late to the party. My Billy Miller argument belongs in this context. I'm not comparing Billy Miller to any of the guys on our current Roster..... I'm not implying..... or trying to.... that Billy Miller would start over any of these guys.

I believe many of us agreed that we needed a tightend to threaten the middle of the field. I'm just saying Billy Miller would have filled that void. I never would have gotten rid of Billy Miller if i didn't have a proven replacement.

That's all.

swtbound07 said:
Its funny to see the way my little thread meanders and grows when i go to sleep...

My take on David's performance Saturday night is that you really can't judge it too much.

The reason is simple, he only played two series.

It could have easily been a disaster if that INT wasn't dropped and he couldn't have picked up that fumbled snap to still pick up the first down.

The one thing I did notice is that is seemed all of the pass plays were really safe. It didn't seem like he was really stretching the field.

At some point they are going to have to do that, otherwise defenses will shut down that bootleg and the short passing game.

Good news, it seems as though the entire offense has not been implemented for game purposes.

I think the Denver and Tampa Bay games will provid a really good indication of how Carr and the offense will perform at the beginning of the season.

hollywood_texan said:
My take on David's performance Saturday night is that you really can't judge it too much.

The reason is simple, he only played two series.

It could have easily been a disaster if that INT wasn't dropped and he couldn't have picked up that fumbled snap to still pick up the first down.

The one thing I did notice is that is seemed all of the pass plays were really safe. It didn't seem like he was really stretching the field.

At some point they are going to have to do that, otherwise defenses will shut down that bootleg and the short passing game.

Good news, it seems as though the entire offense has not been implemented for game purposes.

I think the Denver and Tampa Bay games will provid a really good indication of how Carr and the offense will perform at the beginning of the season.
I wouldn't be surprised if you only see Carr for one series, if at all, against Tampa.

Things always seem rosier when looking back.

Billy Miller was an avg-to-below avg tight end on his very best day in the NFL. His hands are no better than Bruener's - he just may be more athletic...slightly. Billy Miller is often refered to as an option we used to have. We had no offense and Carr panicked quite often. Almost all young QB's (Which are more likely to be on bad teams) throw to their TE and their RB. It's a panic button. If Miller played the best season of his life, at the end of the year regardless of where he played, he would be roughly average at the very best.

Doug said:
I wouldn't be surprised if you only see Carr for one series, if at all, against Tampa.

That will concern me.

This is a new offense and they need as many reps before the regular season if they want to start off strong.

You could be be right though. But keep in mind, this is not a proven team.

hollywood_texan said:

That is somewhat the Denver offense. The attempt to AJ was certainly a downfield play but was broken up by a very good play by the LB.

One thing to note--all 5 of Carr's pass attempts were to WR's. 11 of 18 passing attempts from Sage went to RB's or TE's. Not at all saying anything of merit about either player--just an observation. I would expect a healthy mix to the RB and TE's from Carr as well with more plays.

swtbound07 said:
For all of the people who have been slamming me when I said we should start rosenfels over carr, now do you at least admit it should merit consideration?? One Qb looked poised, made good reads and throws, and ran the offense crisply, and the other looked nervous, flustered, made bad throws, locked onto his primary target, and didnt run the offense well. Rosenfels should at LEAST be starting a preseason game, if not hop Carr on the depth chart.

Let's not rush to change QB's after just 1 preseason game. I was very pleased and presently surprised at Rosenfelds play but I still believe Carr can be an elite QB under the current coaching staff.

For anyone to think Sage is better then Carr or thinks he should start over him needs help. I would also do okay against the Chiefs 3 string guys, holy hand granade, the lack of talent drops off a lot from 1 to 3.

So we had a 5 year vet Sage going up against guys that are playing in their 1st game as a pros. :shades: :tease:

swtbound07 said:
i fall under the category that wants W's...screw the stats.

Yeah, this sounds about right. I wouldn't care if he had 50 yards total, 6 INTs, and sacked 3+ times in the game. If the Texans won, WHO CARES ABOUT THE DAMN STATS? At the end of the day a W is a W

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back