Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Nick Caserio - New GM

Woolen was one of my top CB wants. I was hoping for Ekwonu and Jordan Davis with our first 2 picks, so I wouldn't have drafted Stingley or Sauce.

I think I had Neal/Davis in the 1st, Sam Williams in the 2nd and .Woolen in the 3rd.

I like my mock way more than Caserio's draft and I liked Caserio's draft

Caserio/Lovie chose to to fix the secondary instead of the OL/DL.

At first, I was taken aback a bit when Texian called Nick Caserio a file clerk.

I didn't disagree.
I didn't agree either.

As I thought we need to give the guy a chance.

Why I didn't disagree?
Nick Caserio never had shown a vision as to build a team, a roster.

Even to his most ardent supporters, who always told me that it's won in the trench, his first pick was a QB.
And they keep on defending the pick against their own "religion".

It's OK for the fans, but to me, it's not OK for a GM.

You don't draft a developmental QB in this age and day in the third round while the team is in need of so many things else.

It's not a good strategy.

How do you expect to evaluate the other guys properly while the starting QB is in baby sitting mode?

It makes no sense.

And that's why I say Nick Caserio has no vision.

I didn't disagree.
I didn't agree either.

Why I didn't disagree?

Even to his most ardent supporters, who always told me that it's won in the trench, his first pick was a QB.

You don't draft a developmental QB in this age and day in the third round while the team is in need of so many things else.

How do you expect to evaluate the other guys properly while the starting QB is in baby sitting mode?

It makes no sense.

So you don't like Caserio because he picked Mills?

So you don't like Caserio because he picked Mills?
You need to read more of my posts.
Wait, but you did.
Your memory must be bad.
I had answered many of your questions about the players Caserio drafted and those he brought in as free agents.

This particular question really needs no answer.

Wait, but you did.
Your memory must be bad.
I had answered many of your questions about the players Caserio drafted and those he brought in as free agents.

No I dont need to read more of your posts.

I probably need to read less of your posts to help retain my sanity.

I didn't disagree.
I didn't agree either.

Why I didn't disagree?

It makes no sense.

Classic example of missing the forest for the trees.

Wait, but you did.
Your memory must be bad.

We’re all getting up in age lol. I’ve been asked the same question a bunch.

Last edited:
It's hard to evaluate a GM after one or two seasons.

It's even harder to evaluate a GM when they took over a clusterf*ck organization that was dealing with an unprecedented situation involving their superstar QB being a giant sexual assaulting pervert.

It's frustrating being a fan of a losing team. Especially one that is in the middle of multiple losing seasons. And there is no optimism about the future because the roster is damn near empty and we all know this coaching staff is retreads and only temporary.

That said, I'm giving Caserio the benefit of the doubt. He handled the Towel Boy situation as pro as he could and gave the Texans a lot of solid draft capital as result. They've started washing the stains of O'Brien, Easterby, and Watson off, but we know what will never go away until this franchise does something successful.

I don't want to see the owners make another switch to yet another GM at this point. I do want to see them clean house, but I doubt they will do that under the circumstances.

So we just have to hope that Caserio is the football mind that can turn it around, because otherwise, there is literally no hope if the McNairs have to start over yet again.

It's even harder to evaluate a GM when they took over a clusterf*ck organization that was dealing with an unprecedented situation involving their superstar QB being a giant sexual assaulting pervert.

It's frustrating being a fan of a losing team. Especially one that is in the middle of multiple losing seasons. And there is no optimism about the future because the roster is damn near empty and we all know this coaching staff is retreads and only temporary.

That said, I'm giving Caserio the benefit of the doubt. He handled the Towel Boy situation as pro as he could and gave the Texans a lot of solid draft capital as result. They've started washing the stains of O'Brien, Easterby, and Watson off, but we know what will never go away until this franchise does something successful.

I don't want to see the owners make another switch to yet another GM at this point. I do want to see them clean house, but I doubt they will do that under the circumstances.

So we just have to hope that Caserio is the football mind that can turn it around, because otherwise, there is literally no hope if the McNairs have to start over yet again.

Exactly. And if they didn't accidently get this right with Caserio, it'll be another decade of saying this same old sh!t about the Texans over and over again. It's why it's difficult to take them to seriously.

The thing that gets me is that I fall for it every time. Every

Freak’n

Time

giphy.gif

I never did like the Caserio's hire.

As I had said, I don't see a vision on how to build a team.

Steelbtexan likes to tell me about roster building.
But what is it exactly?

A weal GM that simply caters to the owners' whimps is never going to take a franchise far.

When you have an CEO, the guy needs to have a good vision so as to convince the board of directors about the direction of the organization.

A guy who's mostly after a golden parachute will most often lead your organization toward a dreamer's paradise and he will be gone after fatten up his own coffer.

I've said it before and I'll say it again.
The Patriots' success was between Belichik and Brady mostly.

Their drafting record was never good with Caserio being the major player (after Belichik).

Some of us had presented that from the beginning. (Not to say that Caserio was worthless).
But only to say that he doesn't have a real record of team building.

The only thing we can hope for was that he learned.
(But at the same time, the Patriots' drafts have been fairly subpar of late, when Caserio began to have "more" inputs.
(Even that was vague; how much more inputs he had).

Most folks in this board thought that those of us who were critical of Caserio from the beginning were too harsh.

They want to wait 2-3-4 years.

Even these peeps want to see some progress this year.
A low bar was set by Caserio's defender at 4 games.
How close are the Texans to that low expectations?

Now some of these folks resort to saying "what do you expect with a total rebuild".

Baloney.
I did not see any prediction from these die-hard Caserio's fans of less than 4 wins.

Now, they're telling me it's harder?

The product that Nick Caserio is putting out there is just pathetic.

He made the bed with the owners agreeing with the Lovie's hire for the money.

He deserves the blame for what we're seeing here on the field.

(And you know I'd never have anything personal against you).
This is just unbearable.

76Texan

I never did like the Caserio's hire.

As I had said, I don't see a vision on how to build a team.

Steelbtexan likes to tell me about roster building.
But what is it exactly?

A weal GM that simply caters to the owners' whimps is never going to take a franchise far.

When you have an CEO, the guy needs to have a good vision so as to convince the board of directors about the direction of the organization.

A guy who's mostly after a golden parachute will most often lead your organization toward a dreamer's paradise and he will be gone after fatten up his own coffer.

I've said it before and I'll say it again.
The Patriots' success was between Belichik and Brady mostly.

Their drafting record was never good with Caserio being the major player (after Belichik).

Some of us had presented that from the beginning. (Not to say that Caserio was worthless).
But only to say that he doesn't have a real record of team building.

The only thing we can hope for was that he learned.
(But at the same time, the Patriots' drafts have been fairly subpar of late, when Caserio began to have "more" inputs.
(Even that was vague; how much more inputs he had).

Most folks in this board thought that those of us who were critical of Caserio from the beginning were too harsh.

They want to wait 2-3-4 years.

Even these peeps want to see some progress this year.
A low bar was set by Caserio's defender at 4 games.
How close are the Texans to that low expectations?

Now some of these folks resort to saying "what do you expect with a total rebuild".

Baloney.
I did not see any prediction from these die-hard Caserio's fans of less than 4 wins.

Now, they're telling me it's harder?

The product that Nick Caserio is putting out there is just pathetic.

He made the bed with the owners agreeing with the Lovie's hire for the money.

He deserves the blame for what we're seeing here on the field.

(And you know I'd never have anything personal against you).
This is just unbearable.

76Texan
And we still haven't heard what you would do differently.

No GM exists that's going to change the McNair's boardroom model. If you think differently you're fooling yourself.

Did you not like the Derrick trade.

What we've seen is that Caserio had a good 1st full draft and he's loaded up with draft picks for the next 2 years and probably more. The Texans are exactly where I thought they would be in this rebuild. I expected a couple of more wins this year. But I didn't expect Lovie and company to be this bad. You do know the Texans are playing the 2 toughest divisions in the NFL this year. So the losing was expected.

The rest of this post reminds me of a petulant child throwing a fit. Unbearable? LMAO, have to make decisions about whether to heat your home or eat is unbearable. This is just freaking entertainment.

BTW, look at the 49ers as the correct way to build a roster. They are built with star level players but also have good depth on their roster, unlike Texans teams of old. Why? Because they are able to draft well in rds 3-7. Something that Caserio did well in his last draft, so maybe times are changing.

Of course you're never wrong, so there's really no point in discussing this with you.

Last edited:

No GM exists that's going to change the McNair's boardroom model. If you think differently you're fooling yourself.

What we've seen is that Caserio had a good 1st full draft and he's loaded up with draft picks for the next 2 years and probably more. The Texans are exactly where I thought they would be in this rebuild. I expected a couple of more wins this year. But I didn't expect Lovie and company to be this bad. You do know the Texans are playing the 2 toughest divisions in the NFL this year. So the losing was expected.

The rest of this post reminds me of a petulant child throwing a fit. Unbearable? LMAO, have to make decisions about whether to heat your home or eat is unbearable. This is just freaking entertainment.

BTW, look at the 49ers as the correct way to build a roster. They are built with star level players but also have good depth on their roster, unlike Texans teams of old. Why? Because they are able to draft well in rds 3-7. Something that Caserio did well in his last draft, so maybe times are changing.

Of course you're never wrong, so there's really no point in discussing this with you.
Then why do you keep quoting me?

Like I said, a GM that can't convince non-football minded owner is a bad GM who's only there for the money.

With a guy like that, what you see is the current product on the field.

The Watson trade, again, as I had said many times, had nothing to do with Caserio.
You keep giving him credit for nothing.

If I was the GM and the owner wouldn't listen to the sound advice given to him, I would resign.

If I'm good enough, there will be other owners that seek my expertise.

• Haha
Reactions: JB

The Texans lost to losing teams like the Broncos, the Bears, the Raiders (badly)

Even middling teams like the Chargers and the Commanders tossed them around like salad.

The Bears with a QB that you think is inferior to Mills.
And who was at QB for Washington?

And who was at QB for the Titans?

Yeah right, everything goes EXACTLY as how you think, but they only lost a few more games and they look worse than you imagine.

You're like a politician (as I had said many times) who can contradict himself in the same sentence/paragraph.

Do you really think the Texans are going to win any championship with Nick Caserio?
Dream on.

The Watson trade, again, as I had said many times, had nothing to do with Caserio.
You keep giving him credit for nothing.

The Watson trade had everything to do with Caserio. The fact that he held firm to get at a minimum the drafts picks he wanted set the market price for Watson. He then had the price met let the teams speak to Watson for the trade to go through.

Caserio orchestrated all of it.

To not give him credit is to be closed minded and petty.

The Watson trade had everything to do with Caserio. The fact that he held firm to get at a minimum the drafts picks he wanted set the market price for Watson. He then had the price met let the teams speak to Watson for the trade to go through.

Yep, not to mention the public relations and ego management Caserio had to work in order to get Towel Boy to be somewhat amicable about the NDA that Nick had nothing to do with creating.

That trade was not a done deal by any means. There was a short window of opportunity that Caserio had to exploit right when the grand jury charges were dropped and teams were at the height of interest in the trade.

Watson could have set his terms for only one team regardless of what the Texans could get in return. Caserio had a disadvantage because the NDA gave Watson the leverage.

The 2021 tradeline Caserio said he would accept nothing less than 3 1st RDs, 3 2nd RD picks or a combination of players of equal value. Caserio did not get close to his demands. In fact after the 3 1st RD picks the rest of the trade wasn't close to Caserio's demands, 1 3rd RD and 2 4ths were rather weak, considering. Just to put things in perspective, that deaf dumb, and blind boy in the Who's Pinball Wizard could have got 3 1st RD picks in the Watson trade.

"Caserio is determined to get as close to full value as possible for Watson, and reportedly, his demands include three first-round picks and some combination of three second-round picks or young players who could make an impact for years to come".

The 2021 tradeline Caserio said he would accept nothing less than 3 1st RDs, 3 2nd RD picks or a combination of players of equal value. Caserio did not get close to his demands. In fact after the 3 1st RD picks the rest of the trade wasn't close to Caserio's demands, 1 3rd RD and 2 4ths were rather weak, considering. Just to put things in perspective, that deaf dumb, and blind boy in the Who's Pinball Wizard could have got 3 1st RD picks in the Watson trade.

"Caserio is determined to get as close to full value as possible for Watson, and reportedly, his demands include three first-round picks and some combination of three second-round picks or young players who could make an impact for years to come".

Caserio set the market high with a price that couldn’t be met. The market came down a bit that happens but for the most part got what he wanted. Ok. That typically happens in any negotiation.

Instead of 3 1’s and 3 2’s with some players he got 3 1’s, a 3, and 2 4’s and had to give away a sixth in 2024. No players.

He saw a window open and got it done. Sounds like he bargained well for a player who wouldn’t play for 2 years and allegedly assaulted 30+ women.

In my opinion he did a great job. In yours he didn’t. I know we are going to spin our wheels going back and forth.

Agree to disagree. No name calling. No passive aggressive over the top comments.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Caserio set the market high with a price that couldn’t be met. The market came down a bit that happens but for the most part got what he wanted. Ok. That typically happens in any negotiation.

Instead of 3 1’s and 3 2’s with some players he got 3 1’s, a 3, and 2 4’s and had to give away a sixth in 2024. No players.

He saw a window open and got it done. Sounds like he bargained well for a player who wouldn’t play for 2 years and allegedly assaulted 30+ women.

In my opinion he did a great job. In yours he didn’t. I know we are going to spin our wheels going back and forth.

Agree to disagree. No name calling. No passive aggressive over the top comments.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Yep. From his own article, the owners wanted to move sooner (in 2021). Caserio remained steady to get as close to his ideal as he could.

"Even though Texans CEO Cal McNair would rather his organization move on from Watson before Tuesday's 3 p.m. deadline, Texans general manager Nick Caserio is prepared to hold on to him and wait to trade him in the offseason when there might be more suitors"

So you've got owners on one side wanting to shed themselves of Towel Boy asap, and the other side is Towel Boy himself with NDA leverage that had ultimate veto authority over ANY deal. Reminds me of clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right. lol

I MIGHT be in the minority, but I do not think Nick has done a bad job. I think he has been above average. Made some good moves, but missed on a couple. I think the failure has been coaching hires. I would like to see us clear the deck quickly and let him have full control of the hiring process. I think he would lean younger and look for an innovator.

Yep. From his own article, the owners wanted to move sooner (in 2021). Caserio remained steady to get as close to his ideal as he could.

"Even though Texans CEO Cal McNair would rather his organization move on from Watson before Tuesday's 3 p.m. deadline, Texans general manager Nick Caserio is prepared to hold on to him and wait to trade him in the offseason when there might be more suitors"

So you've got owners on one side wanting to shed themselves of Towel Boy asap, and the other side is Towel Boy himself with NDA leverage that had ultimate veto authority over ANY deal. Reminds me of clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right. lol

Wow!

That is good for Caserio. I didn’t read the article either.

That makes me wonder if Caserio had more control over what was going on with the Watson trade than with the HC search the past two times?

He was able to put the brakes on Cal and Janice during the trade but not the HC makes me think our suspicions of the owners and Easterby driving the search vs Caserio because of how much authority Caserio exercised during the search.

I think Caserio wanted Gannon but Cal said only if Lovie is DC. That spoiled what Caserio wanted. Then you had Easterby and Janice wanting McCown. I never bought into Brian Flores being a serious contender.

Wow!

That makes me wonder if Caserio had more control over what was going on with the Watson trade than with the HC search the past two times?

He was able to put the brakes on Cal and Janice during the trade but not the HC makes me think our suspicions of the owners and Easterby driving the search vs Caserio because of how much authority Caserio exercised during the search.

I think Caserio wanted Gannon but Cal said only if Lovie is DC. That spoiled what Caserio wanted. Then you had Easterby and Janice wanting McCown. I never bought into Brian Flores being a serious contender.
I believe that was the deal breaker on Gannon too. I’m pretty sure he wanted to bring his guys in versus everyone pitching in their guys as well. Lovie kept his guys, Pep brought in one of his guys and Caserio brought in a few of his guys. Talk about doing ash backwards over there on Kirby Drive.

Wow!

Yep. I think the truth is messy and complex like you laid it out. Lots of shades of gray, different power circles in competition (especially within a highly dysfunctional situation), and probably nothing is as black and white as fans surmise.

If the Caserio/Gannon decision was foiled by the staffing power struggle and Lovie requirement, perhaps a 1 win season will ultimately serve to show the owners that their misguided meddling is ultimately crippling the franchise's ability to put together the best and most qualified staff.

Liked for the last sentence in this post. He didn't like the hire to begin with. That says all we need to know about people who are never wrong.

Yep. I think the truth is messy and complex like you laid it out. Lots of shades of gray, different power circles in competition (especially within a highly dysfunctional situation), and probably nothing is as black and white as fans surmise.

If the Caserio/Gannon decision was foiled by the staffing power struggle and Lovie requirement, perhaps a 1 win season will ultimately serve to show the owners that their misguided meddling is ultimately crippling the franchise's ability to put together the best and most qualified staff.
Just another in a long line of McNair HC's hires.

Hopefully the last paragraph happens.

Back