Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

NFL Random Thought of the Day

Hau’oli Kikaha is cautiously rehabbing to make it back from his 3rd ACL rupture.........on the same knee. He is a very high risk for a subsequent ACL rupture (same and opposite side)..........not to mention other lower limb injuries. It's also important to understand that each time a player ruptures an ACL, there is a 50% incidence of associated meniscus damage.

Michael Vick has decided to hang it up. He says that he plans to sign a 1 day contract and retire as a Falcon. If I were a Falcons fan, I don't think that I could muster a great deal of enthusiasm for this move. He had been referred to by the media as a super star. He was a very mediocre Falcons QB who didn't use his head on the field or off.

An interesting article I just happened across. Eli, Rivers, & Ben...

Lots of interesting tidbits, here's one I found particularly interesting.
One more wrinkle: While the Giants were waiting to make their pick, the Browns called Accorsi, wanting to trade up three spots to get their pick. To this day, he’s not sure what they wanted to do with the pick. As it were, the Browns swapped places with the Detroit Lions to move from seventh to sixth.

“When they called, it was good deal for us because I thought we could still get Roethlisberger at seven,” Accorsi said. “We came close to pulling that trigger because I had no hope of getting Eli.”

So the Giants wanted Eli but weren't willing to trade Osi Umenyiora to get him. Instead, they were close to accepting a deal to trade down & possibly land their second choice.

Instead they trade additional picks (including a future 1st) to get the QB they wanted.

& the Browns pass on Rivers & Roethlisberger because they had just acquired Jeff (people only like me because my wife is hawt) Garcia.

It's a sad, sad day in the NFL.

Dear Jaguars fans,
Our efforts to expand fan conversation through social media and provide the most engaging content to fans via our website has become a high priority for the Jaguars and throughout the NFL. In order to bring our focus to those expanding outlets, the Jungle Message Boards will be closing effective June 1. We thank you for your contributions to the fan discussion here and encourage you to bring the same spirited conversation to our official social media feeds listed below:

It's a sad, sad day in the NFL.
Team fan message boards have become less and less supported by most NFL teams over the past few years............just take a look at the deterioration of the official Texans board. Teams don't see the potential for large profits and have turned their attention to self-propagating self-sustaining media outlets.

Another "fine" NFL player gets "time out."

Former Raiders running back sent to prison

PUBLISHED: May 24, 2017 at 6:00 pm | UPDATED: May 25, 2017 at 6:31 am
SANTA ROSA — Michael Bennett, a former first-round draft pick who finished his NFL career with the Raiders in 2010, was sentenced Wednesday in Sonoma County Court to five years in state prison.

Bennett, 38, had pleaded guilty in March to felonies that included burglary, identity theft, and attempted theft from an elder adult in an amount exceeding $100,000.Bennett was arrested in 2015 after the parents of his then-girlfriend discovered a loan had been taken out against their home. Bennett had obtained a $225,000 loan by stealing personal information from the parents and then forging documents. He was on parole at the time for a 2012 conviction of wire fraud.

"The proof is in the film for the past two years!"

See now I know why he fell on his face here.. When they asked him what he learned in Houston and he started giving his coach speach, He forgot to mention "and try to be the best teammate I can be". That's the first lesson..geez.

On a serious note.. Man, that reporter was RUTHLESS! You could tell Brock wanted to punch him in the face.

Last edited:
Colts’ David Parry gets probation in one case, may get jail in another
Posted by Michael David Smith on May 31, 2017, 7:56 PM EDT

Colts defensive lineman David Parry was sentenced to two years of probation in Arizona today after pleading guilty last month to attempting to commit unlawful means of transportation and disorderly conduct.

Parry may still face jail time in connection with the events of the same night: He has a court date next month on an extreme DUI charge. In Arizona, extreme DUI convictions result in automatic jail time; Vikings receiver Michael Floyd spent 24 days in jail this offseason for an extreme DUI conviction in Arizona.

Meanwhile, it’s surprising and troubling that so little attention has been paid to one detail in the police report: That Parry spewed homophobic and misogynistic slurs after he was arrested. The NFL, the Colts and Parry have been silent about that aspect of Parry’s arrest. The league likes to talk a good game about its commitment to tolerance, but when one of its players shows a decided lack of tolerance, the league takes no action unless there’s a public outcry. In Parry’s case, that outcry hasn’t materialized.

In two seasons with the Colts, Parry has started all 32 games, and that’s why the Colts are sticking with him. A lesser player would be cut for the same crimes.&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Disgustingly representative of the League that tries to act as though they are so interested in cleaning their own house.

Colts defensive lineman David Parry was sentenced to two years of probation in Arizona today after pleading guilty last month to attempting to commit unlawful means of transportation and disorderly conduct.

Parry may still face jail time in connection with the events of the same night: He has a court date next month on an extreme DUI charge. In Arizona, extreme DUI convictions result in automatic jail time; Vikings receiver Michael Floyd spent 24 days in jail this offseason for an extreme DUI conviction in Arizona.

Meanwhile, it’s surprising and troubling that so little attention has been paid to one detail in the police report: That Parry spewed homophobic and misogynistic slurs after he was arrested. The NFL, the Colts and Parry have been silent about that aspect of Parry’s arrest. The league likes to talk a good game about its commitment to tolerance, but when one of its players shows a decided lack of tolerance, the league takes no action unless there’s a public outcry. In Parry’s case, that outcry hasn’t materialized.

In two seasons with the Colts, Parry has started all 32 games, and that’s why the Colts are sticking with him. A lesser player would be cut for the same crimes.&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Disgustingly representative of the League that tries to act as though they are so interested in cleaning their own house.

He was just on a drunk and took a joy ride... in a hijacked golf cart... that he highjacked. Surely a nfl starter deserves something out of that

"The proof is in the film for the past two years!"

Normally, I'd be past the whole Osweiler thing by now. He's no longer a Texan, I definitely won't be following him... but I am interested. There's absolutely no way he can be as bad as we saw last season. & throw in the fact that he threw four TD passes in the divisional game against New England, three that weren't caught...

I'm going to be mad if he turns out to be a solid starter that helps Cleveland become relevant. I know that's a tall task & most likely they'll have some play maker as the focus of the offense & a killer defense to make that happen (especially in that division), but if he provides the stability they've been needing at the QB position for just two years, I'm going to be steaming mad.

Because it will be more likely to me that he was the guy we were looking for. Mallett, who hasn't had any "bone headed punk" problems in New England or Baltimore, could have been the guy we're looking for. A QB to stop this carousel thing we've had going on here the last three seasons. Keep our offense in the game while the defense is playing lights out.

If Rick Smith brought those guys in here & O'b sabotaged their careers... just because Brian Hoyer is shell shocked... I'm going to be mad.

Who sits at #1?

11 recent NFL Draft picks on the verge of becoming busts
http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl...-becoming-busts/ss-BBBGRGc?li=BBnba9I#image=1

1. Blake Bortles, QB, Jaguars
Bortles has had an up-and-down start to his NFL career, but there have been far more low points than high ones. After throwing 35 touchdowns and 18 interceptions in 2015, Bortles regressed this past season, struggling in just about every department. He’s completed just 58.8 percent of his passes in three seasons with 69 touchdowns and 51 interceptions, averaging a measly 6.6 yards per attempts – including an awful 6.2 this past season.

Some would already consider Bortles a bust after three rough years, but there’s still time. He’s just 25 years old and was the third overall pick in 2014, so the potential is there. There are just massive adjustments and improvements that need to be made. Even he admits he needs to cut down on “stupid” mistakes and turnovers, which have plagued his career.

If he struggles in the first half of the upcoming season, he could wind up on the bench. In that case, he’d be deserving of the “bust” label, and might never earn another job as a starting quarterback. Fortunately, his position garners a longer leash than most in the NFL, but Bortles’ arrow is pointing down as of now.

I think Sammy Watkins would be better with a change of scenery...but he might get injured moving so yeah.

The slurs are obviously bothersome but is his lack of tolerance the real issue here?

From the link:

...Parry was arrested early Saturday morning in Scottsdale, Arizona, on suspicion of robbery, auto theft, criminal damage, resisting arrest and driving under the influence.

The Indianapolis Star reports that the police report says Parry took a ride from a man who was using a golf cart as a taxi, then punched the man and took off in the cart. When police responded to a 911 call, they found the cart crashed and Parry so intoxicated he could barely stand....

Should the details of what he said actually be more important than the details of what he actually did? I don't think so.

Guys like Floyd and Perry shouldn't be in the NFL. Not because they use mean slurs, but because they are pieces of crap that commit crimes and endanger people.

Another player with a "foot stress fracture" which again ends up to be a Jones fracture. Demonstrates that even when appropriately addressed surgically, can still be a long-term problem.

Kevin Dodd recovering after yet another foot surgery

Posted by Darin Gantt on June 1, 2017, 9:57 AM EDT

After missing almost half of last year with a foot injury, Titans linebacker Kevin Dodd’s still not working out with the rest of his teammates.

And at least now we know why.

According to Paul Kuharsky of ESPN.com, Dodd had a second surgery on his problematic right foot in January, which has led to his latest stint of recovery. The second-round pick (33rd overall) only played nine games last year before landing on IR.

“I’m not really doing anything to stress it right now,” Dodd said. “I really can’t tell you that much. But I feel fine walking around.”

Dodd initially had a surgery last May to insert a screw in his foot, which the team deemed preventative. He came back to play, but wasn’t particularly effective, and the second procedure makes it clear there’s still a problem.

Dodd said he hopes to be ready by the start of training camp, but if he doesn’t make some strides in the next two months, starting the year on the physically unable to perform list is a possibility.

“It’s never fun being a spectator,” he said. “I want to go out there and do what I do. I know there are a lot of questions from everybody, I’m a bubble to everybody. I’m going to do what I’ve got to do when I get out there.

“I’m not out to prove anything to anybody. But I do ask everybody to be patient. When I do get out there, I’m going to play to the best of my ability.”

When that will actually be remains to be seen.

*********************************************************************************************************************

"Preventative" has somehow become an offseason buzzword for surgeries. The reality is, players never undergo surgeries they don't need. Dodd experienced soreness in rookie camp, after which the Titans ordered up more tests. A stress fracture was discovered, and a screw has been inserted. The No. 33 overall pick of the draft, Dodd is expected to return by training camp. Going on 24, Dodd was just a one-year starter in the ACC, but extremely productive. He's a high-motor player who should get plenty of opportunities to get after the passer as a rookie. That's if he's healthy, of course.
Source: Titans on Twitter
Thu, May 26, 2016 01:37:00 PM

The slurs are obviously bothersome but is his lack of tolerance the real issue here?

From the link:

Should the details of what he said actually be more important than the details of what he actually did? I don't think so.

Guys like Floyd and Perry shouldn't be in the NFL. Not because they use mean slurs, but because they are pieces of crap that commit crimes and endanger people

Agree 100%. The highlighted was what I was referring to when I referred to the NFL needing to clean their own house.

Guys like Floyd and Perry shouldn't be in the NFL. Not because they use mean slurs, but because they are pieces of crap that commit crimes and endanger people.

If you don't sign/draft guys like that then you're more concerned with the marketing aspect of the NFL than you are with the product on the field.

:dumbshitpeoplesay:

Did not know Brandon Brooks struggled with anxiety. Real impressive he's been able to accomplish as much as he has:

Brandon Brooks - G - Eagles
Eagles RG Brandon Brooks revealed he's dealing with his anxiety much better this year after being forced to miss two games last season.

Brooks was a late scratch in Weeks 12 and 14 after becoming so ill before the game that he couldn't play. Brooks is seeing a psychologist regularly and hasn't had an episode yet this offseason. Despite the issue, Brooks graded out as Pro Football Focus' No. 4 guard last season.

Source: Philadelphia Inquirer & Daily News
Jun 2 - 10:31 AM

It's being reported that Dennis Pitta went down today with a non contact injury. Several years ago when he suffered his first surgical hip injury, I said the it was a bad injury that is difficult to come back from, with a very high risk for re-injury. If this turns out to be another hip injury, it will probably be his 2nd non contact hip dislocation following his initial hip dislocation/labrum surgery in 2013 (3rd total major hip dislocation)............and very likely his last.

I have always really liked him as a player and as a person..........I wish him the best.

Last edited:
Unless CND says otherwise I would absolutely look at Maclin. He's a serious threat that wasn't a good fit in Reid's offense. Not that I believe O'Brien can do anything with him, but I would love to have Maclin available for the next coach.

Jeremy Maclin released by Chiefs

Wouldn't be upset at all at taking on a bid here.

Unless CND says otherwise I would absolutely look at Maclin. He's a serious threat that wasn't a good fit in Reid's offense. Not that I believe O'Brien can do anything with him, but I would love to have Maclin available for the next coach.

A summary of his injury history:

2015 NFL Head Maclin hit his head hard on the turf after being tackled in week 6 and had to leave the game. He missed the following week

2014 NFL Leg Maclin was held out of a large portion of the preseason with a hamstring injury

2013 NFL Knee Maclin tore his same right ACL that he tore in college. He is out for 2013

2012 NFL Hip Jeremy Maclin was dealing with a right hip flexor strain and hip pointer injuries that occurred during the game with Ravens and left the game

2011 NFL Leg Jeremy Maclin left the game against the Giants due to a hamstring injury.

2011 NFL Shoulder Jeremy Maclin had a right shoulder sprain he suffered in the loss to the Cardinals. He didn't return to the game and missed one game after.

2008 College Ankle Maclin strained his Peroneal tendon on his left ankle during a contest with Illinois and didn?t return to the game.

2007 College Shoulder WR Maclin had a bruise on his shoulder and left the game vs. Texas Tech.

2006 College Knee Jeremy Maclin tore his ACL on his right knee in the offseason practice and underwent surgery. He missed all twelve games.

In 2016, Maclin sustained a groin tear during a practice the beginning of November and missed 2 games. He came back and tried to play but re-aggravated it and missed 2 more. He had to deal with groin issues until the end of the season. His overall 2016 performance was very pedestrian. He was no longer seen as the "go to guy."

Although it has been reported that he looked good in the OTAs just prior to his release, it wouldn't surprise me if there was sports hernia surgery in his future. To be fair, it also has to be mentioned that KC is in somewhat of Cap Hell and could not afford to bet on his value (salary/cap hit ~ $10 mil) on the field not matching anywhere close to his anticipated debit on the accountant's book. On the relative cheap, he could be a reasonable option, but I doubt seriously that he comes to the Texans cheap enough to make the gamble worthwhile for them either. There will probably be someone out there willing to generously open their pocketbook to him.

Hope that gives you enough info to form your own opinion.

NFL to allow liquor commercials this season

June 3, 2017, 6:58 AM EDT

Beer commercials have been a major part of NFL games for so decades. But the NFL has drawn the line at hard liquor. Until now.

Reversing a longstanding policy, the NFL has informed NBC, ESPN, CBS and FOX that they can run up to four 30-second commercials per game advertising hard liquor, the Wall Street Journal reports. Previously, liquor was among the products the NFL wouldn’t allow to be advertised during its games.

Still, the NFL is going to be restrictive about what the commercials can include: They can’t be football-themed, they can’t be aimed at underage drinkers and they have to include a socially responsible message such as a reminder not to drive drunk. A maximum of four liquor commercials can add per game.

The NFL still bans plenty of types of advertising, often for reasons that are hard to understand. Commercials for condoms and other forms of birth control, for instance, are banned, even as commercials for erectile dysfunction drugs are among the most common ads on NFL games. Energy drink commercials are also banned, as are commercials for any type of gambling and even for Las Vegas tourism — an odd choice considering the NFL has approved the Raiders’ move to Las Vegas and will be courting tourists to buy tickets. The league also won’t allow marijuana ads during games, even local ads in states where marijuana is legal. And supplement distributors like GNC can’t buy ads.

So the NFL will still turn down a lot of potential advertising revenue over concerns about the shield being tarnished by the “wrong” kinds of advertisers. But liquor companies are no longer considered the “wrong” kinds of advertisers.

Money "uber alles"............

Maclin is worth a look on talent alone but, as Doc pointed out, his injury history is pretty darn extensive.

We need to keep a scout on the Chiefs though. They are in cap hell right now and will have to cut a couple guys next year to stay under.

Reactions: JB
Nick Fairley has not been at OTAs. It is now being reported the medical work up has revealed a potentially career-ending heart condition. If I remember correctly, during his Draft physical, he was found to have some sort of heart abnormality. I wonder if this is a progression of what was already there. One thing that would fit such a scenario would be a heart valve problem. Several years ago, he carried a weight of ~320. In the first couple of years of his career, his conditioning was considered pretty poor, he was reported on too many occasions to be breathless when playing, and his coaches forced him to address the weight issue. More recently he managed to bring his weight down to ~280.

My prayers go out for "The Beast."

Last edited:
The Bears 2015 1st rnd WR just can't catch a break (don't mean it as a pun). His entire rookie year was wiped out when during OTAs, he was treated as a bad case of shin splints. But after over 6 weeks of no improvement, someone decided to radiographically examine him...........It revealed a stress fracture and.he required a rod be placed through the core of the left tibia in order to stabilize it. The Bears tried to activate him in Dec 2015, but he was not yet properly rehabbed.

The beginning of preseason last year, he suffered a hamstring tear. but came back for week 1 and looked pretty raw through week 3 at which time he esentially suffered a severe high ankle sprain with spiral fibular fracture along with severe ankle ligament damage. This bought him another ticket to surgery and ultimately onto the injured reserve train.

This spring, he is healed but has virtually participated in no voluntary organized programs. There is a big question as to what place the Bears will have for him on the roster unless he shows why they drafted him in the 1st rnd so long ago.

Surprised that Maclin did not opt for rupture repair immediately after season. He might have been more ready and been a more interesting FA.

The 2017 NFL CONCUSSION PROTOCOL

DBl1R-vVYAEpv4U.jpg

LB Jets David Harris was released today. He is 33, but he has played 16 games/season forever with minor injuries. Last year, he missed 1 game. He has managed to rack up ~100 or more tackles during most of his career. Yes, he may have slowed down a step, but he is still a strong player in the middle..........and has always been a strong leader in the locker room and on the field.

Jaylon Smith partakes in public drills for 1st time since surgery
Every step Jaylon Smith took Wednesday during the Dallas Cowboys' organized team activity was watched.

For the first time since the Cowboys drafted him in the second round in 2016, Smith took part in drills in front of the media in his comeback from a severe knee injury.

He went through individual drills with the linebackers, sprinting from one side to the other, punching a bag and simulating a tackle. He went through the walk-through portion of run drills. He went through special-teams drills, working on the kickoff return unit.

In team drills, Smith took five snaps with the Cowboys' second-team defense.

While he didn't make any noticeable plays, the best part of Smith's day was how he blended into the scene.

Still far too soon to suggest an outcome, but good to hear nonetheless. This kid was so fun to watch. Thoroughly rooting for this comeback.

Back