Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

NFL Random Thought of the Day

Last edited:
Cutting Russell Wilson will create a cap mess for the Broncos (keeping him would, too)

The biggest takeaway from Wednesday’s stunning news that the Broncos have benched quarterback Russell Wilson is that the Broncos will release him before another $37 million in future salary flips from guaranteed for injury to fully guaranteed. That will need to happen between the first day of the waiver period (right after the Super Bowl) and the fifth day of the league year, which begins on March 13.

The transaction will result in $89 million in cap charges, arising from money already paid and his 2024 fully-guaranteed compensation of $39 million. The Broncos can either take the entire hit in 2024, or they can designate Wilson as a post-June 1 release and limit the cap charge to $35.4 million in 2024 and $53.6 million in 2025.

The Broncos eventually would get a credit for Wilson’s earnings elsewhere in 2024. If he takes the one-year veteran minimum of $1.21 million from his next team, that’s all the Broncos will get by way of credit.

It’s still better than the cap consequences of keeping him. His cap number for 2024 would be $35.4 million under his current deal, along with $55.4 million in 2025. That’s $90.8 million. Also, cutting him saves $37 million in cash.

Will this hurt Denver’s ability to field the most competitive team possible in 2024? Sure. But it won’t be impossible. The Buccaneers are closing in on a division championship despite carrying more than $75 million in dead money, with $35 million of it coming from Tom Brady. Also, with the cap going up and up and up, the relative impact of seemingly staggering cap charges continues to drop as the cap continues to rise.

Bleacher Report
"While I don't sense Jacksonville has been shaken in its belief that Lawrence is the franchise cornerstone for the next decade, he simply needs to play better," ESPN's Jeremy Fowler reported on Wednesday. "His penchant for turnovers is alarming--he's averaging 1.3 per game this season, up from 1.0 last year. Eight of his 19 turnovers this season have come in the past three games."
The Jaguars are 8-7 and in the midst of a four-game losing streak, putting them in a three-way tie atop the AFC South with the Indianapolis Colts and Houston Texans. Lawrence has been banged up frequently and he suffered a shoulder injury in this past Sunday's loss to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, putting his status for Week 17 against the Carolina Panthers in question.

1dd94d243eb61c4a148e1b87ddf80c87.jpg

The pressure on Denver as I understand, is to avoid the 37 million becoming fully guaranteed they have to cut him before deadline March of 2024. I think that would eliminate the ability to proclaim him as a post June 1st cut allowing them to spread his money over 2 years.

Wilson is sitting in the driver's seat in my opinion as he wants to be cut and force Denver to not only eat the majority of his base for 2024 but also to avoid a trade costing his new team to lose draft picks. Russell Wilson does have a no trade clause.

The pressure on Denver as I understand, is to avoid the 37 million becoming fully guaranteed they have to cut him before deadline March of 2024. I think that would eliminate the ability to proclaim him as a post June 1st cut allowing them to spread his money over 2 years.
The $37 million becomes fully guaranteed on the 5th day of the 2024 league year. So the Broncos can designate Wilson as a post June 1st cut.

Per The Athletic:

Wilson has $37 million in injury guarantees for 2025 that will become guaranteed on the fifth day of the 2024 league year in March. Lawyers, including some with the NFLPA, were involved, and no changes were made to the contract.

That's not the way it works

A player can be cut as soon as the new league year begins in March and still be designated a June 1 cut, thus saving some cap space in the current year while pushing some of the hit into the following year. Teams are limited to the early (pre-June 1) designation of no more than two players per year as June 1 cuts.

It's just a designation for two players.

“Several owners” already have been questioned under oath in collusion grievance over guaranteed contracts
By Mike Florio
Published December 29, 2023 06:40 AM

In the process of pondering the failure of teams to try to sign quarterback Lamar Jackson to an offer sheet in March, we were reminded of the grievance filed by the NFL Players Association in November 2022 over the refusal to give fully-guaranteed contracts to “certain quarterbacks,” following the five-year, fully-guaranteed Deshaun Watson deal with the Browns.

After last night’s update on the still-pending grievance, some more information has emerged.

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, “several owners” already have been questioned under oath, during depositions conducted as part of the grievance. Given the sensitivity of the proceedings, the source declined to name any of the owners.

The wish list for proving the collusion case would (or at least should) include Ravens owner Steve Bisciotti, who publicly said this after the Watson deal was done: “I don’t know that he should’ve been the first guy to get a fully guaranteed contract. To me, that’s something that is groundbreaking, and it’ll make negotiations harder with others.” Another owner who might shed light on the situation would be Arthur Blank of the Falcons. His team pursued Watson in 2022. In 2023, the Falcons didn’t try to sign Jackson. Blank cited, among other things, Jackson’s injury history. (The fact that Watson suffered a torn ACL at Clemson and a torn ACL with the Texans did not deter the Falcons in 2022.)

Browns owner Jimmy Haslam would be another candidate for questioning. What was said to him by other owners about the Watson deal? Did he truly get the “cold shoulder” at the league meetings in March 2022 after doing the Watson deal earlier that month?

A case this likely won’t be proven by smoking guns, unless someone was dumb enough to reduce to writing evidence of intent to collude regarding guaranteed contracts. It’ll be proven by circumstantial evidence, like Bisciotti saying the Watson deal will make other negotiations harder. Like Blank’s team pursuing Watson but not Jackson, after Watson got a five-year guaranteed deal. Like any and all harrumphs Haslam endured from his business partners.

However it plays out, it will still take some time. The case remains in the discovery phase. Per the source, a decision is still months away.

Bone on bone. Without surgical intervention, he has no future in the NFL. With surgical intervention, his NFL career is at best very "iffy."

Knee injury creates uncertainty about Ryan Ramczyk’s future in the NFL
By Josh Alper
Published December 29, 2023 07:56 AM

Saints right tackle Ryan Ramczyk has missed the last two games with a knee injury that could have ramifications on his future as an NFL player.

Ramczyk said that he has very little cartilage left in a knee that he initially injured during the 2021 season and “at some point, I just couldn’t play anymore” this year. He said it has been an issue that he has tried to manage all year and that he expects to meet with “surgeons, doctors, get as much as information as I can and then just make the best decision” about what he can do to continue playing in 2024 and beyond.

“I feel like I’m not done yet. I feel like I still want to play,” Ramczyk said, via Katherine Terrell of ESPN.com. “I feel like I’m still passionate about the game. When you think about it like that, my mind frame is, ‘I want to play, and I want to keep doing it, so what can I do to get better, to not have this happen in-season?’”

Ramczyk is signed for three more years with a cap number over $27 million for the 2024 season. The Saints would see some cap relief by making him a post-June 1 cut and the results of those consultations with doctors will likely determine if New Orleans goes that route or hopes that better days are ahead for the former All-Pro.

Wonder who will sign Wilson? Doubt he retires, but who knows. He’s certainly got plenty of greenbacks. Any chance of a reunion in Seattle? Geno is ok, but is replaceable for sure. Wilson lit it up there for years.

Wonder who will sign Wilson? Doubt he retires, but who knows. He’s certainly got plenty of greenbacks. Any chance of a reunion in Seattle? Geno is ok, but is replaceable for sure. Wilson lit it up there for years.

Wilson will go to a team that drafts a young QB.

Chicago, New England, Arizona (maybe), Atlanta, etc. Maybe even Carolina to help Bryce. That last one may be the best place.

Bone on bone. Without surgical intervention, he has no future in the NFL. With surgical intervention, his NFL career is at best very "iffy."

Knee injury creates uncertainty about Ryan Ramczyk’s future in the NFL
By Josh Alper
Published December 29, 2023 07:56 AM

Saints right tackle Ryan Ramczyk has missed the last two games with a knee injury that could have ramifications on his future as an NFL player.

Ramczyk said that he has very little cartilage left in a knee that he initially injured during the 2021 season and “at some point, I just couldn’t play anymore” this year. He said it has been an issue that he has tried to manage all year and that he expects to meet with “surgeons, doctors, get as much as information as I can and then just make the best decision” about what he can do to continue playing in 2024 and beyond.

“I feel like I’m not done yet. I feel like I still want to play,” Ramczyk said, via Katherine Terrell of ESPN.com. “I feel like I’m still passionate about the game. When you think about it like that, my mind frame is, ‘I want to play, and I want to keep doing it, so what can I do to get better, to not have this happen in-season?’”

Ramczyk is signed for three more years with a cap number over $27 million for the 2024 season. The Saints would see some cap relief by making him a post-June 1 cut and the results of those consultations with doctors will likely determine if New Orleans goes that route or hopes that better days are ahead for the former All-Pro.
Not that I am pumping for this guy but 25 years ago, my brother had part of his lower knee bone shot out in an accident when he was 16. After about five years or so, he got a "donor bone" operation that grafted in a lower knee bone.
It was completely successful far outlasting it's original predicted use by date.
He still has it and I imagine it will last him out. This was in Australia and he was the youngest recipient and one of the first few to have this procedure.
Excuse my lack of proper medical terms heh.
I imagine the technique would have greatly improved over the years so this may be the only way RR can have a chance at a relatively good leg again.

Last edited:
Wilson will go to a team that drafts a young QB.

Chicago, New England, Arizona (maybe), Atlanta, etc. Maybe even Carolina to help Bryce. That last one may be the best place.
Depends a lot on who will be coaching these teams. But I agree with the notion that it will be Wilson as a bridge to a young QB. Wilson is from Richmond, VA, so Washington or Carolina would be close to his family.

There were reports that he tried to pull a power play in Seattle, get more input in personnel moves and even went to the owners to get Carrol fired. If there is any truth to the rumors, I don't see a reunion in Seattle. Shoot, if the rumors are true, he's getting what he deserved in Denver.

The Browns have a 10 win season. Going to playoffs. Still have a chance at winning the division. The only two coaches to have two 10 win seasons with the Browns?

Paul Brown and Kevin Stefanski.

I thought Stefanski was going to be on the hot seat and fired.

Wonder what happens to him now?

The Browns have a 10 win season. Going to playoffs. Still have a chance at winning the division. The only two coaches to have two 10 win seasons with the Browns?

I think it was that he was going to be fired and replaced with an all-black coaching staff and the insistence of Deshaun..

That was a classic..

What's with the calm down bullshit?? I pointed out misinformation and corrected it. Nothing more nothing less.

Colts wide receiver Michael Pittman was cleared by the team doctor and the independent neurologistthe concussion protocol last Friday, but wound up missing the team’s Week 16 loss to the Falcons after symptoms returned just ahead of the game. If he didn't self report, he would have played.

Not that I am pumping for this guy but 25 years ago, my brother had part of his lower knee bone shot out in an accident when he was 16. After about five years or so, he got a "donor bone" operation that grafted in a lower knee bone.
It was completely successful far outlasting it's original predicted use by date.
He still has it and I imagine it will last him out. This was in Australia and he was the youngest recipient and one of the first few to have this procedure.
Excuse my lack of proper medical terms heh.
I imagine the technique would have greatly improved over the years so this may be the only way RR can have a chance at a relatively good leg again.
I'm glad to hear of your brother's good outcome. Although of course I do not know the exact circumstances of the injury, it would have most likely been part of the tibia with limited articular surface missing, where a bone graft is a reasonable replacement for missing bone..........which even 25 years ago was a well-known technique in the US known for reasonable long-term results.

Ramczyk is running on virtually no articular cartilage surfaces of his knee.......bone grafting rather than cartilage or bone/cartilage grafting is not appropriate. Ramczyk's cartilage damage is so extensive, a surgery short of knee replacement is unlikely to succeed or stand up to any length of trauma once healed and rehabbed. By the time he has microfracture surgery, if a surgeon even feels it has any merit, and completes rehab, he will be ~31 1/2 years old.........and he will weigh over 300 pounds to complicate matters even more. His performance, even if he got throught the rehab and was able to return at all for 1 game (~50% chance), by studies with his metrics, he would not be expected to perform at greater than 40-50% of presurgical performance.

I'm glad to hear of your brother's good outcome. Although of course I do not know the exact circumstances of the injury, it would have most likely been part of the tibia with limited articular surface missing, where a bone graft is a reasonable replacement for missing bone..........which even 25 years ago was a well-known technique in the US known for reasonable long-term results.

Ramczyk is running on virtually no articular cartilage surfaces of his knee.......bone grafting rather than cartilage or bone/cartilage grafting is not appropriate. Ramczyk's cartilage damage is so extensive, a surgery short of knee replacement is unlikely to succeed or stand up to any length of trauma once healed and rehabbed. By the time he has microfracture surgery, if a surgeon even feels it has any merit, and completes rehab, he will be ~31 1/2 years old.........and he will weigh over 300 pounds to complicate matters even more. His performance, even if he got throught the rehab and was able to return at all for 1 game (~50% chance), by studies with his metrics, he would not be expected to perform at greater than 40-50% of presurgical performance.
Yeah, I was thinking of quality of life down the road.

Who made you the misinformation police?
Sure you can offer more correct information but you can also do it with a modicum of diplomacy and humility.
Thank you.
What the **** are talking about?? Information was posted that wasn’t true, I simply pointed out the additional and correct info with no intent other than that and now you’re going off the f***ing handle about diplomacy and humility?? JFC!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
What the **** are talking about?? Information was posted that wasn’t true, I simply pointed out the additional and correct info with no intent other than that and now you’re going off the f***ing handle about diplomacy and humility?? JFC!!!!
I've also been accused of not applying enough rose petals and perfume when correcting someone's bad information

Last edited by a moderator:
Any idea on what needs to be done to fix Russell wilson?

Roll back the clock, surround him with a historically good defense, and then add one of the best running backs in the game at the time and he should be good to go. Also give him a decent O line and decent WRs.

Except don’t ask him to throw a pass late in the 4th quarter with the game on the line and seconds on the clock. Just give it to the RB. That one that is one of the best in the game at the time.

Roll back the clock, surround him with a historically good defense, and then add one of the best running backs in the game at the time and he should be good to go. Also give him a decent O line and decent WRs.

Except don’t ask him to throw a pass late in the 4th quarter with the game on the line and seconds on the clock. Just give it to the RB. That one that is one of the best in the game at the time.
He did have a good situation there just like you described - and add in a quality coach.

It is common for a concussion patient to not remember the actual concussion incident. Some will regain that memory in time.....some will not. A concussion can cause long-term memory loss and recurring short-term memory loss, even weeks, months, or years after the head trauma..............or in some cases permanently.

Reactions: JB
Forgive, but not forget..................but honor?????

Ravens will honor Ray Rice on Sunday
By Michael David Smith
Published December 30, 2023 08:48 AM

Ray Rice was once the most toxic name in sports, the embodiment of the NFL’s domestic violence problem, and the last person the league or the Baltimore Ravens wanted to associate with. That has changed.

The Ravens have announced that on Sunday they will honor Rice as their “Legend of the Game,” a game day tradition in Baltimore to recognize a former player for his accomplishments both on and off the field.

But does Rice deserve to be honored? In 2014, he was caught on video punching his then-fiancée, now wife, so hard that he knocked her out, then dragging her unconscious body out of an elevator. After he was arrested for the assault, the NFL initially suspended him just two games, sparking anger — which turned to widespread public outrage when the video became public.
The Ravens cut him and his NFL career was over. So why honor him now?
Rice says honoring him allows him to show that he has changed.

“I truly understand why I was let go and why so many hearts changed. But hopefully people can see where I’m at now. They say people can change, right? I am not the same person I was 10-12 years ago. That’s just not who I am,” Rice told the Ravens’ website. “Every time I stepped on the field, I gave it my all. But I couldn’t say the same for life. Now I’m trying to be the best version of me.”

Ravens President Sashi Brown, who was hired by the Ravens last year and was not with the team during Rice’s career, defended Rice as a man worthy of honoring.

“He was also consistently in the community, giving back. Importantly, after Ray’s incident he owned it,” Brown said. “On his own accord, Ray undertook critical work within himself and to bring awareness to and educate others on domestic violence. Nothing will change his past or make it right, but Ray’s work has allowed him to atone for his actions and rebuild relationships personally and professionally, including with the Ravens.”

Rice’s reception from Ravens fans will likely be mostly positive: Nearly a decade later, fans tend to remember the good times. Plus, the Ravens are honoring Rice at a big game in which the Ravens can clinch home-field advantage throughout the AFC playoffs. Fans in Baltimore will be fired up to cheer their Ravens.

Outside of Baltimore, the reaction may be different, with plenty of questions about why someone who did what Rice did deserves to be treated as a hero.

• Wow
Reactions: JB

He got lucky that the coach killer got hurt and has no influence inside the locker room. That and they signed Flacco, who's playing out of his mind. Question, do the Browns bring Flacco back and if they do is he their starter? I know Derrick doesn't want any white guys in the QB room. Will this matter to the Browns org? You know if Flacco is back that when Derrick sucks again and he will suck again that the Dog Pound will be all over the Sexual Predator.

He got lucky that the coach killer got hurt and has no influence inside the locker room. That and they signed Flacco, who's playing out of his mind. Question, do the Browns bring Flacco back and if they do is he their starter? I know Derrick doesn't want any white guys in the QB room. Will this matter to the Browns org? You know if Flacco is back that when Derrick sucks again and he will suck again that the Dog Pound will be all over the Sexual Predator.

Bet the Jets are kicking themselves they had 3 seasons with Joe Flacco in their QB room and kept trotting out Zach Wilson instead.

Back