Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

NFL Random Thought of the Day

Sure, bodily assault may be a little much but that doesn’t give someone the right to do it, especially a damn multi-billionaire. Fans pay a f*** ton of money to go to these games and line these billionaires pockets even more. They don’t get to take their frustrations out on fans. I think the loss of a draft pick is more than fair compensation. That would make an owner think twice next time. $300,000 is nothing to these guys. And as far the Panthers team getting hurt for it and thus thousands of fans as well, he should feel the anger of those fans for putting the team they fork over their money to and root for, in that situation. And drunk fan or not I think he ought to be buying that fan seasons tickets to the team of his choice too.
Agreed, but it should be a draft pick this year (the higher the better) they don't have many. The first of 2025 is not the thing to do

I agree it's harsh. And I happen to think harsh is 100% applicable here. I mean, it's assaulting a fan for f*ck sake. What other wrong doing would warrant a severe punishment if not that?

Like has been said, there's no amount of money they can fine him that would even come close to really effecting him, but I bet legitimately hamstringing the thing he truly cares about sure would.
Nothing is more dangerous to a persons well being and safety than to have a cup of cold beer thrown on them.

Reactions: JB
Better, they could force him to sell the team just like they did the previous owner. Or take their top picks for the next 3 years. If you really think throwing a drink on a drunk fan is bodily assaulting that is. Punish thousands of fans because one drunk got a little wet :rolleyes:

It's not whether I personally think it's assault, it's whether or not the law thinks so.. which it does. Just like there are degrees of many other crimes there are degrees of assault and, jmo, this is enough of a disrespect to a fan (and fans in general) to warrant a stiff punishment. Had he hands-on physically assaulted a fan I'd be with the severest of punishments like forcing the team from him. In this case I think a 1st rounder is a strong enough message that he f*ck*d up that bad. And it's not the league's or anyone else's fault they don't have a 1st next year so 2025 it is, again imo.

Nothing is more dangerous to a persons well being and safety than to have a cup of cold beer thrown on them.

I'm willing to bet a dollar if I threw a cup of cold beer in your mom/wife/daughter's face you wouldn't be so flippant about it.

I didn't suggest it was the lethality of the act, it was about having the nerve to put unwanted and disrespectful contact toward a paying fan just because he wanted to throw a billionaire tantrum about his team being hot garbage with everyone there to witness it.

Teppers 300K fine is nothing, it's like fining me a dollar for that. That fine is no incentive for him to not do it again.

How so? Panthers fans won't care. He'll still make money like crazy. NFL owners are untouchable, unless they turn on each other.
It could hurt his business concerns. People often show their displeasure by keeping their wallets in their pockets.
Don't forget the impact on his stocks.

It could hurt his business concerns. People often show their displeasure by keeping their wallets in their pockets.
Honestly, that's outside my strike zone. But it seems farfetched from the peanut gallery.

Tepper's conduct is simply a reflection of our society and his "crime" is nothing more than that which is committed in the hundreds, if not the thousands, daily across America. Just because of his wealth, his "punishment" should not be increased in its severity. The Law should be blind.

Just consider the other big news of this past week, the plagiarism of Harvard President Gay, who finally resigned her position yesterday. But, at least so far, she faces no repercussion from Harvard and in fact retains her $800M teaching position.

Tepper was appropriately disciplined. He should be treated no more or no less than you or I would be treated.

I see the Jets have waived four time pro bowler Dalvin Cook.
He was expecting to be RB 1 in their offense but was relegated to #2 due to Breece Hall's ascendancy and his own underperforming.
I imagine he would be hungry to prove his worth to any prospective team but even here, he may be relegated to #2 due to DS playing fairly well.
He likely has a hefty price tag so for mine, it's a no, unless DS or DP get sidelined against the Clots on Saturday - by which time some other team may have snapped him up.

Why did NFL go so easy on David Tepper?
By Mike Florio
Published January 3, 2024 11:45 AM

Last year, when the NFL determined that the Dolphins had tampered with coach Sean Payton and quarterback Tom Brady, the NFL imposed staggering penalties on owner Stephen Ross: $1.5 million fine, loss of a first-round pick, and a suspension that went from early August until the middle of October.

This year, when the NFL (and everyone else) determined that Panthers owner David Tepper threw a drink onto customers in Jacksonville, the NFL fined Tepper a mere $300,000.

Apart from the double standard that applies to player and owner punishment, why did the NFL impose such dramatically different penalties on Ross and Tepper?

The message could be a simple one. If you mess with one of us, we’ll get you.

If you mess with one of them, no big deal.

Really, which infraction is worse? Getting caught engaging in the kind of all’s-fair business stuff that happens on a regular basis without scrutiny or punishment or blowing a gasket and acting like a spoiled child who is unable to control his most basic emotions?

Hell, Tepper didn’t even apologize for what he did. Look at his statement: “I am deeply passionate about this team and regret my behavior on Sunday. I should have let NFL stadium security handle any issues that arose. I respect the NFL’s code of conduct and accept the league’s discipline for my behavior.”

It was a not-so-subtle way of claiming that he had been provoked by a rowdy fan who had crossed the line, before Tepper jumped over it. Instead of using that as a front-line defense, Tepper implied that the fan did or said something that merited the response.

That’s not the way any owner should ever respond. Again, what’s worse? The common infraction of tampering or the uncommon act of throwing a drink on someone else?
The respective punishments imposed on Ross and Tepper show the difference in how they view themselves, and in how they view everyone else.

Tepper's conduct is simply a reflection of our society and his "crime" is nothing more than that which is committed in the hundreds, if not the thousands, daily across America. Just because of his wealth, his "punishment" should not be increased in its severity. The Law should be blind.

Just consider the other big news of this past week, the plagiarism of Harvard President Gay, who finally resigned her position yesterday. But, at least so far, she faces no repercussion from Harvard and in fact retains her $800M teaching position.

Tepper was appropriately disciplined. He should be treated no more or no less than you or I would be treated.
I can see your point.......and it's unfortunately the world we now live in. But he is a major representative of the "Shield." If a player did the same thing............he would have been fined heavily and suspended. If a fan did the same thing.......that fan is usually banned from any future games.

It's not whether I personally think it's assault, it's whether or not the law thinks so.. which it does. Just like there are degrees of many other crimes there are degrees of assault and, jmo, this is enough of a disrespect to a fan (and fans in general) to warrant a stiff punishment. Had he hands-on physically assaulted a fan I'd be with the severest of punishments like forcing the team from him. In this case I think a 1st rounder is a strong enough message that he f*ck*d up that bad. And it's not the league's or anyone else's fault they don't have a 1st next year so 2025 it is, again imo.

I'm willing to bet a dollar if I threw a cup of cold beer in your mom/wife/daughter's face you wouldn't be so flippant about it.

I didn't suggest it was the lethality of the act, it was about having the nerve to put unwanted and disrespectful contact toward a paying fan just because he wanted to throw a billionaire tantrum about his team being hot garbage with everyone there to witness it.
All you said makes sense. I would suggest DT not be allowed to to watch any games at any stadium for a year. Fans who do what he did get banned for life. To me that would be proper punishment. Why punish the team and it's fans who have done nothing wrong?

He should be treated no more or no less than you or I would be treated.

And just how do you think you or I would have been treated in that situation? I could easily see season tickets being taken away from a fan which is a much more severe punishment than what Tepper got? So I think you've got that backwards. You or I should be treated no more or less than what Tepper should be. His $300K fine would be about equivalent to you or I having to pay $2 extra for a hotdog. No way in hell you or I would receive that light of a punishment.

And just how do you think you or I would have been treated in that situation? I could easily see season tickets being taken away from a fan which is a much more severe punishment than what Tepper got? So I think you've got that backwards. You or I should be treated no more or less than what Tepper should be. His $300K fine would be about equivalent to you or I having to pay $2 extra for a hotdog. No way in hell you or I would receive that light of a punishment.
The NFL is a non-governmental entity, so may conduct their business as they see fit. The same as Harvard.

Actually I don' think it will in his case because I read someplace where Tepper took his hedge fund private which means he bought out & paid off all of his public investors so basically the man has no public business concerns, i.e. no customers to account to and keep happy.

A fan would lose the right to come to any games for at least a year if not for good. DT should be banned from coming to games for at least a season.

Mike Vrabel on his future: I want to be here next year
By Charean Williams
Published January 3, 2024 11:38 PM

The Patriots could be in the market for a new head coach after this season, and Titans coach Mike Vrabel is in the Patriots Hall of Fame after spending eight of his 14 NFL seasons with them. Naturally, social media has connected those facts.

That, combined with questions about the fit between Vrabel and General Manager Ran Carthon, have led to speculation about whether Sunday will be Vrabel’s final game with the Titans.

Vrabel, though, made clear Wednesday his intent to stay with the team in 2024.

“Of course I want to be here,” Vrabel said, via Teresa Walker of the Associated Press. “Be here as long as we can win, as long as we can do this thing, and it’s been great. But it also has been just this year. And nobody wants to be where we’re at.”

Vrabel won NFL coach of the year honors in 2021, but the Titans were 7-10 last season and are 5-11 this season. He is 55-48 since the Titans hired him before the 2018 season, and the team signed him to a contract extension after the 2021 season.

Vrabel said he has not addressed chatter about his future with his team.

“If we believed everything that was on social media, it’d be Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny and there’s no tooth fairy, you know that,” Vrabel said. “So I really have never responded to any of those, and we’re not going to start now.

“I know where we’re at as an organization, and I’m excited to build this thing and fix this thing and get it to where we want it to be, to win championships with Ran and [assistant G.M.] Chad [Brinker] and the coaching staff and everybody. That’s what our goal is. But, no, the social media and where that is, I can’t focus on that.”

The Titans will have a top-eight draft pick in April and are projected to have the second-most cap space in the offseason.

Brady speaks

You know things are pretty screwed up in the NFL these days when Tom Brady is speaking up for defensive players. I must say I agree with him.

Eric Bieniemy’s first year as the Commanders offensive coordinator appears to be pointing towards a pink slip.

Some have drawn a correlation between Bieniemy leaving the Chiefs and their offensive woes.

I think Bieniemy can get an HC job next year. Maybe with the Panthers. Hopefully a better situation though. Chicago or Atlanta maybe.

Florio, you conveniently minimize Groman's achievement and maximized Nacua's by lightly glossing over the fact that Groman earned his record playing only 12 games..........not 17. And I don't believe that Florio calculated correctly what the equivalent that would have to be reached by Nacua this season (2088 yds rather that the stated 1789 yds) :mcnugget:

Groman’s 63-year-old record will likely fall on Sunday
By Mike Florio
Published January 5, 2024 09:47 AM

The stellar rookie season from Rams receiver Puka Nacua has re-introduced the football-following world to Bill Groman.

With 29 yards on Sunday against the 49ers, Nacua will set the record for the most receiving yards from any rookie in NFL history. The record was set by Groman in 1960, during the first season of the AFL.

Groman, who played college football at Heidelberg, joined the Houston Oilers for the first season of the AFL. In 1960, he gained 1,473 receiving yards. His record, which was incorporated into the NFL numbers along with all AFL records, has stayed unbroken for 63 years.

Groman had a great second season as well, with 1,175 yards and 17 touchdowns. Through two seasons and 28 games, Groman scored 29 touchdowns.

He won four AFL Championships, two with the Oilers and two with the Bills.

However, a knee injury suffered in the 1961 AFL Championship limited his career, dramatically. His production after the 1961 season never came close to what it was in his first two years.

Still, Groman had a first year like none other. Even if/when Nacua gets to 1,474 yards on Sunday, Groman’s per-game average of 105.4 yards will stand until a rookie gets to 1,789 receiving yards in his first NFL season.

Bill Groman died in 2020 at the age of 83. He spent 30 years in scouting after his playing career ended.

Tannehill will be QB for the Titans this week...........Levis' foot is not ready to go.
Good. I think Tannehill gives the Titans their best chance to win.

I wonder if Tannehill will look for a chance to compete as a starter or be willing to take a backup role this offseason? The Texans could do worse the Tannehill at backup QB.

Florio, you conveniently minimize Groman's achievement and maximized Nacua's by lightly glossing over the fact that Groman earned his record playing only 12 games..........not 17. And I don't believe that Florio calculated correctly what the equivalent that would have to be reached by Nacua this season (2088 yds rather that the stated 1789 yds) :mcnugget:

Groman’s 63-year-old record will likely fall on Sunday
By Mike Florio
Published January 5, 2024 09:47 AM

The stellar rookie season from Rams receiver Puka Nacua has re-introduced the football-following world to Bill Groman.

With 29 yards on Sunday against the 49ers, Nacua will set the record for the most receiving yards from any rookie in NFL history. The record was set by Groman in 1960, during the first season of the AFL.

Groman, who played college football at Heidelberg, joined the Houston Oilers for the first season of the AFL. In 1960, he gained 1,473 receiving yards. His record, which was incorporated into the NFL numbers along with all AFL records, has stayed unbroken for 63 years.

Groman had a great second season as well, with 1,175 yards and 17 touchdowns. Through two seasons and 28 games, Groman scored 29 touchdowns.

He won four AFL Championships, two with the Oilers and two with the Bills.

However, a knee injury suffered in the 1961 AFL Championship limited his career, dramatically. His production after the 1961 season never came close to what it was in his first two years.

Still, Groman had a first year like none other. Even if/when Nacua gets to 1,474 yards on Sunday, Groman’s per-game average of 105.4 yards will stand until a rookie gets to 1,789 receiving yards in his first NFL season.

Bill Groman died in 2020 at the age of 83. He spent 30 years in scouting after his playing career ended.

Yep, they never mention games played in a season when mentioning records being broken. Nor do they mention the rules changes that take the fear out of going across the middle or the fact that you cant breathe on a QB these days. The records that are being broken these days are totally bogus. RIP Bill Groman, a true legend.

How did you get 2088? 105.4 X 17 = 1791.8
He assumed that Groman played in 12 games which would give him a higher per game average than 105.4 if he ended up with 1473 receiving yards. But Groman actually played in 14 games in his rookie year. So Florio is correct.

He assumed that Groman played in 12 games which would give him a higher per game average than 105.4 if he ended up with 1473 receiving yards. But Groman actually played in 14 games in his rookie year. So Florio is correct.

Looks to me like Groman played in 13 games his rookie year.. so actually no one was correct.

Funny that several sources report that the NFL only played 12 games in 1960. That this was the final season for the 12-game schedule in the NFL. A bye was required because of there being thirteen teams, with one team having a bye in each of the 13 weeks.

But I don't see how that is possible. Since teams are reported to have had 14 game records.

So it appears that Groman played in 13 of the regular season 14 games. In the 2nd game in which he did play, he left the game after only 2 plays (for a minor injury) having caught 1 pass for 8 yds. So his stats essentially reflect production in 12 games less 8 yds. An amazing feat for that day and today.

es.

Funny that several sources report that the NFL only played 12 games in 1960. That this was the final season for the 12-game schedule in the NFL. A bye was required because of there being thirteen teams, with one team having a bye in each of the 13 weeks.

But I don't see how that is possible. Since teams are reported to have had 14 game records.

So it appears that Groman played in 13 of the regular season 14 games. In the 2nd game in which he did play, he left the game after only 2 plays (for a minor injury) having caught 1 pass for 8 yds. So his stats essentially reflect production in 12 games less 8 yds. An amazing feat for that day and today.

es.
The NFL did have a 12 game regular season schedule in 1960, the AFL played 14 games.

Back