Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

NFL Random Thought of the Day

A smart Ohio State graduate who didn't know?..............after Ridley.............after the rookie symposium.............after the NFLPA memorandum............Florio would have a difficult time in the real world as an in-court defense attorney.
I thought Williams went to Alabama

Then why bother? Get rid of it. Spot the ball on the 20 after the other team scores & lets get on with it.

This.

And change the name to passball, because the foot only touches the ball on punts, and that's not something to be celebrated. ;)

Needless injuries? Then why is God'ell pushing for Thursday night flex games if he's truly worried about injuries?

Yep. The only thing I can figure is they are trying to avoid the highly publicized injuries like concussions (which I'd assume is higher on KR than average plays).

But overall, between Thursday night flex and artificial surfaces, the owners don't care much about injuries unless it's a QB.

Such is the modern game of passball.

Needless injuries? Then why is God'ell pushing for Thursday night flex games if he's truly worried about injuries?

People like exciting plays. The KR/PR is one of the most exciting plays in the game. A true tone setting play. Knile Davis 100 yd KR before I could get seated in a playoff game comes to mind.
He is worried people will get injured and not be able to play in the flexed games. ;)

Didn't know..............after Ridley, after the rookie symposium.............after the NFLPA memorandum............Floirio would have a difficult time in the real world of in-court defense.

Jameson Williams claims he didn’t know about the gambling policy
Posted by Mike Florio on May 26, 2023, 10:29 AM EDT

When last month’s five-player wave of gambling suspensions included four Lions players, the message was obvious — whatever the Lions are doing to tell their players about the NFL’s gambling policy, the Lions aren’t doing enough.

Receiver Jameson Williams underscored that point on Thursday, when he told reporters he didn’t even know about the gambling policy before he learned that he had violated it.

Surely, the Lions at some point communicated the basic information to Williams and other players. But the Lions clearly didn’t do a sufficient job of sending a message about the rule and the consequences for breaking it.

Look, he knows,” coach Dan Campbell said Thursday, via Eric Woodyard of ESPN.com. “He’s gotten it from everybody. So, look, it happened. It’s an emphasis of the league right now. It’s a big thing, our players know. We’ve tried to hammer it home. Certainly, we did after that point and hit it two more times and we’ll keep doing it.”

While Williams surely knows now, the problem is that he didn’t know then. If he knew, he wouldn’t have committed such a clear and obvious violation that will sideline him for six games to start the 2023 season.

As one coach recently explained it to PFT, the onus is on the teams to interpret the policy and teach it to the players. “If you have a bunch of students failing the class,” the coach said, “that’s on the teacher.”

The Lions had four F’s handed out last month, with two players suspended for at least a year (and promptly expelled) and two others suspended for six games.

The proof is in the pari-mutuel pudding. It’s not a coincidence. The players didn’t know. Williams said he didn’t know. Which means that the Lions didn’t do a good enough job making sure they knew.

And what the players need to know isn’t just the policy, but the very serious reactions for violating it.

None of the measures Evans says he will be taking will have significant effect on his ultimate future. Evans has an excuse for being stupid, in that he is 23 years old and the human brain is not fully developed until 25. No excuse for the NFL and team doctors, and the NFLPA, and the NFL executives who are well past 25 and supposedly there to ensure the safety of their players. :mcnugget:

******************************************************************************************************

After three stints in concussion protocol, Akayleb Evans changing what he can to avoid any more
Posted by Charean Williams on May 26, 2023, 5:42 PM EDT

Vikings cornerback Akayleb Evans had three stints in concussion protocol during an eight-week period last season. The team ended his rookie season after the third, placing him on injured reserve Dec. 7.
Evans, though, is not concerned about a premature end to his career.

“I haven’t really thought about it like that,” Evans said, via Kevin Seifert of ESPN. “I do know that if I ever got to a point where I felt like it was getting out of control, I would take a step back, because life is more important. But I don’t really worry about that too much, honestly.”

Evans isn’t sure what happened to land him in protocol in an Oct. 9 game, but he could have had a helmet-to-helmet hit while diving on an onside kick. The other two were obvious as he lowered his head on tackles against the Bills and the Jets.

Evans is working on tackle technique this offseason, aware that he has to stop leading with his head.

“It’s just about how I tackle,” Evans said. “My mindset when I tackle is always to be aggressive. But not every tackle has to be a kill shot. . . . Not every tackle has to be as hard as I can. Just being smart about that. But whenever I do go into making a tackle, just keeping my head out of it, being smart about it and intentional about it. So I’ve been working really hard on that.”

The 2022 fourth-round pick also is changing his equipment. He will wear a customized VICIS helmet, the best-performing brand on the NFL/NFLPA’s annual lab testing chart.

Evans also said he plans to wear a Q-Collar, a band that applies light pressure to the neck. The FDA has said it “may reduce the occurrence of specific changes in the brain that are associated with brain injury.”

The Vikings are counting on Evans this season after losing five of their cornerbacks from last season.

“I feel like I was able to show some flashes of what I could do last year,” Evans said. “I feel like this year is about taking over, for sure.”

Buying a portion of the Raiders will complicate Tom Brady’s path back to the field
Posted by Mike Florio on May 27, 2023, 9:32 PM EDT

Tom Brady has agreed to purchase a piece of the Raiders. The deal must now be approved by at least 24 of 32 owners.
With Raiders quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo recovering once again from yet another surgery, some are wondering whether Brady could eventually play for the team he’s poised to partially own.

An unnamed source has floated to Vincent Bonsignore of the Las Vegas Review-Journal the possibility the owners requiring a commitment from Brady that he’s done playing, before they agree to approve his purchase of a minority share of the team. Even without that, a return to game action by Brady would require all 32 owners to consent. Otherwise, Brady would have to sell his piece of the team before playing.

Looking at the situation broadly, any/every owner should want Brady to play. It’s good for ratings, and thus it’s good for business.

Competitively, teams perhaps wouldn’t want to contend with Brady. But the Raiders aren’t stacked. They’d have a hard time being highly competitive even with the soon-to-be-46-year-old. Any other that would refuse to let Brady play would look like a heel.

If Brady wants to play for the team he partially owns, why not let him do it? Playing for a different team would be a problem. Playing for the Raiders should be no big deal.

I am extremely excited to watch the Dolphins’ offense this season. Fastest skill position group in the league.

How will defenses account for Waddle/Hill at WR and Mostert/Achane at RB? All have elite speed and can line up anywhere. Mcdaniel has built a formidable offense in a short time.

The Raiders have finally confirmed the injury which I felt Garoppolo sustained. ["medal and middle cuneiform" should have read "medial and middle cuneiform"] In the image below middle cuneiform is the same as intermediate cuneiform. Essentially, the combination of his fractures (including the proximal 2nd metacarpal) can be interpretted as a psuedo Lisfranc injury without involvement of the Lisfranc ligament. Although, he may be able to return for the regular season, this is probably not the end of his foot problems.

1685272774679.png1685273287488.png

**********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Jimmy Garoppolo’s contract includes waiver over foot injury
Posted by Mike Florio on May 27, 2023, 11:45 PM EDT

Remember when Jimmy Garoppolo‘s contract took some time to get resolved and they sent the reporters who were gathered for a press conference home.

The story was there’s nothing to see here. As is often the case, the truth is that there was. (But, of course, anyone who ever points out that dynamic gets labeled a “conspiracy theorist.”)

PFT has obtained Garoppolo’s contract. It contains a critical final clause — Addendum G — that addresses the foot injury Garoppolo suffered during the 2022 season, and for which he had surgery after signing with the Raiders.
Addendum G is a waiver and release. In the first paragraph, the waiver acknowledges that, without it, Garoppolo would not pass the team’s physical “because of a preexisting medal and middle cuneiform and a fracture of the base of the second metatarsal in the Player’s left foot and that the Club would not enter into an NFL Player Contract with Player.” It’s the injury he suffered during the 2022 regular season, opening the door for Brock Purdy to play.

In the second paragraph, Garoppolo expressly acknowledges and waives the risk of further injury, including potential “permanent disability” by continuing his career. “Player also understands that such condition has decreased his ability to play professional football,” the waiver states, “and that continuing to play professional football may result in deterioration, aggravation, or re-injury of the existing conditions rendering Player physically unable to perform the services that would be required of Player by an NFL Player Contract.”

In the third paragraph, Garoppolo expressly assumes all risks of continuing to play, despite the condition.

In the fourth paragraph, Garoppolo waives all claims against the Raiders, the league, and anyone else who could be responsible for anything related to the condition.

In the fifth paragraph, Garoppolo agrees that any disputes regarding whether any injury involves the conditions specified in the waiver “shall be resolved in the discretion of Club’s physician,” while also preserving the player’s ability to seek a second opinion.

The contract preserves the team’s ability to terminate the agreement with no further obligation, “for any reason related to the Waiver and Release attached as Addendum G.” The waiver becomes null and void if at any time during the 2023 season, Garoppolo passes a physical exam, is active for at least one regular-season game, and does not suffer re-injury to his left foot in the manner described in Addendum G.

As originally negotiated, Garoppolo had an $11.25 million signing bonus and a base salary of $11.25 million for 2023. The foot injury resulted in the Raiders removing the signing bonus, with the full $22.5 million becoming base salary in 2023.

He won’t get any of it until he passes a physical. In the interim, the Raiders can cut him “for any reason related” to Addendum G.

The elimination of the signing bonus and the presence of Addendum G explains the delay in getting the deal done. And it underscores the possibility that Garoppolo might never play for the Raiders — and he might never get paid a penny by them.

If Brady wants to play for the team he partially owns, why not let him do it? Playing for a different team would be a problem. Playing for the Raiders should be no big deal.

Heaven Can Wait

accb28bd1789672dd8ee805ccd794d02.jpg

Heaven Can Wait

accb28bd1789672dd8ee805ccd794d02.jpg
I agree. But technically, someone could make the following case.............just as it is against NFL rules for a player or coach to even bet for their respective team.............it would seem that owning part of a team you play for could easily be interpretted as theoretically doing something somewhat similar?

I agree. But technically, someone could make the following case.............just as it is against NFL rules for a player or coach to even bet for their respective team.............it would seem that owning part of a team you play for could easily be interpretted as theoretically doing something somewhat similar?
I don't know what the rules say, or even where to find them. Just pointing out the similarities to an old fantasy movie.

He played hurt numerous times as a Texan. If true, it’s likely because he’s decided to be more of a businessman than football player at this stage of his career. Another reason to pass.

In a ESPN NFL article regarding Hopkins’ best landing spots…..the Cowboys would be the only team in the group lining him up in the slot. The Cowboys would have Lamb and Cooks on the outside….which makes the SWR position Hopkins to own.

In a ESPN NFL article regarding Hopkins’ best landing spots…..the Cowboys would be the only team in the group lining him up in the slot. The Cowboys would have Lamb and Cooks on the outside….which makes the SWR position Hopkins to own.

From May 26, 2022......

UDFA WR Justyn Ross has been signed to the Chiefs 90. This is one player that if I were a team physician, I would NEVER even consider clearing him to play.

Former Clemson WR Justyn Ross who went undrafted last year has been impressing with the Chiefs in OTAs. I have no idea how he has been cleared to play football. In college 2020, he required a multi-level cervical (neck) spine fusion for a congenital condition.........missing the entire season...................the reason he went undrafted. With multi-level fussion, the next higher and next lower vertebrae are under significantly greater stress than normal............something that potentially makes him just one hit away from paralysis.

Last edited:
The impact of the 17th game goes way beyond just the offensive line.

***********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Mike McCarthy: The impact of the 17th game on keeping our team healthy is real
Posted by Michael David Smith on June 3, 2023, 4:38 AM EDT

The NFL is heading into its third 17-game season in 2023, and teams are still adjusting to the extra wear and tear that an extra game puts on the players.
Cowboys coach Mike McCarthy mentioned that this week, noting that continuity with the same players healthy and on the field each week is a key to success in the NFL.
https://healthnewsrd.com/c4141636-f6e8-4d34-a2ac-3a890d17447b
“I think the 17th game impact is real. I have felt it with our team,” McCarthy said.

McCarthy was answering a question specifically about continuity on his offensive line.

“History will tell you continuity factors into your wins and losses. You look at the history of five offensive linemen lining up and starting every game of a season on the win total, I don’t recall the exact number, but it’s a significant number,” McCarthy said.

McCarthy added that the importance of continuity is something coaches have been talking more about that in the last couple years. The owners have decided that the 17-game season isn’t going away (unless it gets replaced by an 18-game season), but the coaches and players are still adjusting.

The impact of the 17th game goes way beyond just the offensive line.

***********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Mike McCarthy: The impact of the 17th game on keeping our team healthy is real
Posted by Michael David Smith on June 3, 2023, 4:38 AM EDT

The NFL is heading into its third 17-game season in 2023, and teams are still adjusting to the extra wear and tear that an extra game puts on the players.
Cowboys coach Mike McCarthy mentioned that this week, noting that continuity with the same players healthy and on the field each week is a key to success in the NFL.
https://healthnewsrd.com/c4141636-f6e8-4d34-a2ac-3a890d17447b
“I think the 17th game impact is real. I have felt it with our team,” McCarthy said.

McCarthy was answering a question specifically about continuity on his offensive line.

“History will tell you continuity factors into your wins and losses. You look at the history of five offensive linemen lining up and starting every game of a season on the win total, I don’t recall the exact number, but it’s a significant number,” McCarthy said.

McCarthy added that the importance of continuity is something coaches have been talking more about that in the last couple years. The owners have decided that the 17-game season isn’t going away (unless it gets replaced by an 18-game season), but the coaches and players are still adjusting.

Playoff teams have been playing 17, 18, 19 and sometimes 20 games for years. I get that continuity for an OL is important, but I think blaming the lack of it on a 17th regular season game is reaching.

Playoff teams have been playing 17, 18, 19 and sometimes 20 games for years. I get that continuity for an OL is important, but I think blaming the lack of it on a 17th regular season game is reaching.
The greatest impact is on the health of teams in general. Only 14 of 32 teams will play the 18th game, 8 teams will play the 19th game, only 4 will play the 20th game, and 2 will play the 21st game. And it is obvious that most of the teams to certain extents limp into and through the playoffs. I've talked to enough players to know that virtually none of them feel "healthy" even before the 17th game (if they are fortunate enough to make it to the 17th game).......and noticeably worse after. This cannot help but negatively affect the quality of play and continuity of all positions on the offense, defense and special teams.

Last edited:
The greatest impact is on the health of teams in general. Only 14 of 32 teams will play the 18th game, 8 teams will play the 19th game, only 4 will play the 20th game, and 2 will play the 21st game. And it is obvious that most of the teams to certain extents limp into and through the playoffs. I've talked to enough players to know that virtually none of them feel "healthy" even before the 17th game (if they are fortunate enough to make it to the 17th game).......and noticeably worse after. This cannot help but negatively affect the quality of play and continuity of all positions on the offense, defense and special teams.

The key is developing depth. And giving backups practice snaps during the week.

When I first began following the NFL, there was a 14 game season and a 40 man roster. Developing depth was a necessity. It’s football. There will be injuries no matter the length of the season. The teams that best deal with that come out on top.

The key is developing depth. And giving backups practice snaps during the week.

When I first began following the NFL, there was a 14 game season and a 40 man roster. Developing depth was a necessity. It’s football. There will be injuries no matter the length of the season. The teams that best deal with that come out on top.
Nevertheless, the lengthening of seasons invariably affect players and teams. It also invariably complicates things for players and teams. Each game is a signifiicant trauma to the players. It is easy to say that teams should be responsible for developing depth. But we also know that in most cases, there is a reason why players are depth and not starters. There is not enough NFL starter talent or enough allowed team roster numbers to legitimately be able to develop truly competitive depth. When we watch the playoffs, we want to see top talent on the field...........not hopeful wanna be's or scrubs............which we have seen too much of in recent years.

Nevertheless, the lengthening of seasons invariably affect players and teams. It also invariably complicates things for players and teams. Each game is a signifiicant trauma to the players. It is easy to say that teams should be responsible for developing depth. But we also know that in most cases, there is a reason why players are depth and not starters. There is not enough NFL starter talent or enough allowed team roster numbers to legitimately be able to develop truly competitive depth. When we watch the playoffs, we want to see top talent on the field...........not hopeful wanna be's or scrubs............which we have seen too much of in recent years.
Adding 1 extra game doesn't really affect the product that much. IMHO Now adding the Thursday night games has certainly affected the product.

When we watch the playoffs, we want to see top talent on the field...........not hopeful wanna be's or scrubs.
I agree with you. I feel this way.

But, it appears that college football is bigger, as far as people watching, & they're not such a stickler for "top talent." They seem to enjoy having a few top talents that can dominate the other team offensively.

It also appears to be the trend the NFL has been headed for some time now. Dinosaurs like you & I are going to have to deal, or move on. I'm leaning toward moving on.

I agree with you. I feel this way.

But, it appears that college football is bigger, as far as people watching, & they're not such a stickler for "top talent." They seem to enjoy having a few top talents that can dominate the other team offensively.

It also appears to be the trend the NFL has been headed for some time now. Dinosaurs like you & I are going to have to deal, or move on. I'm leaning toward moving on.
Moving on for several reasons is on the table.

And I'm sure it was no different when they had a 16 game schedule, or 14 for that matter. It's a violent, physical game that will take a toll on your body regardless of the amount of games played. I don't think a 17th regular season game is making much difference.

Now, you want to talk about not giving the body adequate recovery time by playing these dumbass Thursday games, I'm with you there. Especially later in the season.

Though I don't know who this player is, I can say with reservation, he is a roaring idiot. :hankpalm:

**************************************************************************************************************

Report: NFL is investigating Colts player for “pervasive” betting
Posted by Mike Florio on June 5, 2023, 4:01 PM EDT

The NFL and its teams have not done a great job of educating players about the clear rules and stern consequences of the gambling policy. Or, alternatively, the players know and don’t care.
Regardless, gambling suspensions have become more common than PED or Personal Conduct Policy punishments. And another significant one could be coming.

Matt Rybaltowski of SportsHandle.com reports that the NFL is investigating a Colts player for “pervasive” wagering.
Per the report, the NFL has evidence that the player in question “placed hundreds” of bets, and that at least some were placed on the Colts. A “considerable” number of wagers reportedly were placed from inside the team’s practice facility.

“Although the player is not considered a superstar, an ardent NFL fan has probably heard of him,” according to the report. Most of the betting happened in 2022, and some occurred in 2023. The player is still on the team’s roster.
The Indiana Gaming Commission told Rybaltowski that the commission is investigation the player, too.

The player reported made the wagers through an account opened by an acquaintance. This suggests a level of awareness regarding the rules, along with a clumsy, inadequate effort to cover his tracks — especially because bets reportedly were placed in the practice facility.

George Orwell had the right dystopian church, but the wrong dystopian pew. Big Brother is not the government. Big Brother is all of us, and our own phones can and will provide all the evidence necessary to prove wrongdoing by anyone who has engaged in it.

Back