Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

NFL Random Thought of the Day

Jalen Ramsey To Andrew Luck: Sike!

Laura Wagner
Today 2:37pm
https://deadspin.com/tag/jalen-ramsey
SEE VIDEO IN THIS LINK
Your browser does not support HTML5 video tag.
Jacksonville Jaguars corner Jalen Ramsey is a trash-talking phenom who is not here to make friends. Indianapolis Colts quarterback Andrew Luck is an affable weirdo who compliments opponents who sack him. These two personalities crossed paths early in the second quarter of today’s game and produced this fitting interaction.

Ramsey is lucky the play didn’t result in a penalty. When Von Miller did the exact same thing to Tyrod Taylor last year, the ensuing unsportsmanlike conduct penalty ended up costing Denver the game.

DtdpZzVVAAAT5M0.jpg

AJ Green demonstrates how devastating a turf toe can be. Following attempt to rehab........and failing...............he is now going to undergo season ending surgery.

AJ Green demonstrates how devastating a turf toe can be. Following attempt to rehab........and failing...............he is now going to undergo season ending surgery.

I've always heard about turf toe but to be honest, never fully understood the injury. Any illustrations and additional info to shed some light on this injury? I think the first time I ever remember hearing about a turf toe injury was in the late 70's when Calvin Hill was with the Cowboys.

I've always heard about turf toe but to be honest, never fully understood the injury. Any illustrations and additional info to shed some light on this injury? I think the first time I ever remember hearing about a turf toe injury was in the late 70's when Calvin Hill was with the Cowboys.

Turf toe has interrupted, slowed or ended many football careers (an older reference). It is a result of hyper-dorsiflexion of the big toe
upload_2018-12-4_8-17-48.jpeg
31599tn.jpg

It has become more common due to players wanting to wearing more flexible, less restricting footwear

upload_2018-12-4_8-18-35.jpeg

When this big toe hyper-dorsiflexion occurs, it will tear the volar (bottom of) joint capsult which in simple terms acts as a check ligament meant to prevent hyper-dorsiflexion of the joint. If a minor tear, it can be treated conservatively with stiff orthotic insoles (many times metal), or splinting, or secure taping (see below) that prevents the dorsiflexion. If it is a full tear, it will not typically heal without surgery, especially in a football player, as it severely prevents the ability to push off and maintain any semblance of explosiveness.

upload_2018-12-4_8-28-45.jpeg

images

Last edited:
Turf toe has interrupted, slowed or ended many football careers (an older reference). It is a result of hyper-dorsiflexion of the big toe
View attachment 4147
31599tn.jpg

It has become more common due to players wanting to wearing more flexible, less restricting footwear

View attachment 4148

When this big toe hyper-dorsiflexion occurs, it will tear the volar (bottom of) joint capsult which in simple terms acts as a check ligament meant to prevent hyper-dorsiflexion of the joint. If a minor tear, it can be treated conservatively with stiff orthotic insoles, or splinting, or secure taping (see below) that prevents the dorsiflexion. If it is a full tear, it will not typically heal without surgery, especially in a football player, as it severely prevents the ability to push off and maintain any semblance of explosiveness.

View attachment 4149

images

Really appreciate that you took the time and supplied the information.....thanks again CnnnD.

I'm glad you asked OT, and again thanks for the explanation CND. The description of injury and especially its name can sound relatively benign, but very much isn't for an athlete. I actually discovered its impact and severity on my own many moons ago, which only made Doc's posts more profound. I think this is an injury that many miss and misunderstand, and the visuals certainly aid in explaining.

It appears Emmanuel Sanders just tore his achilles in practice. Non contact, just running a route and went down. At 31 it looks like this might be it for him.

Reuben Foster’s ex-girlfriend now says she was lying when she recanted previous allegation
December 6, 2018, 8:27 AM EST

The ex-girlfriend of Reuben Foster, who told police he attacked her in February, then testified under oath that she had lied to the police at that time, now says it was actually on the witness stand that she was lying and the original story she told to the police was the truth.

Elissa Ennis said on Good Morning America that she was lying in court when she said Foster never struck her.

“I was not telling the truth. I was not telling the truth,” Ennis said.

Ennis said she lied under oath because she loved Foster and didn’t want to end his NFL career.

“I did what I had to do for the person I loved. I thought he would change. Anybody in my position would do the same,” Ennis said.

So what actually happened between the two of them in February? She now says her account to the police was accurate.

“He dragged me down the stairs two or three times, he punched me in my face two or three times, pulled my hair, kicked me, spit on me,” Ennis said.

The 49ers cut Foster when he was again arrested for domestic violence against Ennis, this time in the team hotel. Ennis is now accusing the 49ers of trying to interfere with the police investigation.

“The 49ers came up there. I have pictures of the 49ers coming up there talking to police, saying I’m the same ex-girlfriend who sat up there and lied,” Ennis said.

Ennis also said she was shocked Foster was claimed on waivers by Washington.

“I can’t believe somebody picked him up,” Ennis said.

Foster is currently under contract and getting paid by Washington, but he is not eligible to play because he is on the Commissioner Exempt list.

Activated by Texans, D'Onta Foreman glad tough stretch is over
Aaron Wilson , Houston Chronicle Dec. 5, 2018 Updated: Dec. 5, 2018 6:15 p.m.

Texans coach Bill O'Brien said he could see Foreman contributing going forward after observing him during the 21-day practice window.

"He practiced hard," O'Brien said. "I thought he ran the ball well. He did some good things out there. He looked healthy. So, we felt like that was a decision that could potentially help our team."

First of all, the tough stretch is not over. Secondly, Foreman was activated to the active roster........skipping the 3 week practice window. No one has observed him yet in 11-on-11, except maybe for yesterday............and that would have been a non-contact day. Skipping the 3 week practice window, either forces him back into action too soon in order to not be criticized for wasting a roster spot in the interim.............or, if he is still not prepared to be productive after 3 weeks, to waste more roster spot time before ultimately placing him on IR anyway. And, using the reasoning of counting on him to be productive enough in case Miller or Blue goes down, also creates a entirely shakey argument

Alex Smith's fracture of his leg included both the tibia and fibula..............and if was evidently an "open"/compound fracture, meaning the bone(2) was poking out of the skin.

comp_featured_a00522f03-kh.jpg

He has apparently already undergone 3 surgeries, the first to address the aligning and repairing the bones........and 2 more which included drainage of the wound and removal of dead tissues for a serious postoperative infection. Hospitalization will continue as IV antibiotics and careful wound observation is absolutely necessary in order to prevent catastrophic osteomyelitis (infection of the core of the bones).

Alex Smith's fracture of his leg included both the tibia and fibula..............and if was evidently an "open"/compound fracture, meaning the bone(2) was poking out of the skin.

comp_featured_a00522f03-kh.jpg

He has apparently already undergone 3 surgeries, the first to address the aligning and repairing the bones........and 2 more which included drainage of the wound and removal of dead tissues for a serious postoperative infection. Hospitalization will continue as IV antibiotics and careful wound observation is absolutely necessary in order to prevent catastrophic osteomyelitis (infection of the core of the bones).

I take it that last part would lead to amputation?

I take it that last part would lead to amputation?
If the infection cannot be controlled, which in this day and age although possible is not very likely, amputation could possibly be a result. If the infection cannot be controlled at the soft tissue level and the circulation of the lower leg/foot is severely compromised, again although a small possibility, this alone could require amputation.

In cases with intractable osteomyelitis (infection of the core of the bone) of large bones, I've removed large segments of bone to avoid amputation. Reconstruction with bone graft substitutes would then be necessary after the infection was deemed to be clear. The successful reconstruction of a weight-bearing support bone like the tibia would be necessary fo, but not necessarily predictive of an athlete's fully functional outcome. Hopefully, in the next few days, we will hear that the infection has been gotten under control and circulation is intact. If this does occur, Smith still has a chance of returning to football next season.

After healing, Smith has a better prognosis longer term than Watt, as Smith's fractures would have avoided joint and it's associated articular cartilage damage which predictably has a degenerative progression.

I wouldn't get to full of yourselves in writing off the Jags and Coughlin. That team still has their core pieces and with a surprisingly down season, now find themselves in a position to make their team even better b/c of their draft position. They will get their QB and probably add some pieces to the OL and LB group. If they're completely healthy and Bortles is gone....Texans are going to have to be much better to compete for the AFC South crown in 2019.

I wouldn't get to full of yourselves in writing off the Jags and Coughlin. That team still has their core pieces and with a surprisingly down season, now find themselves in a position to make their team even better b/c of their draft position. They will get their QB and probably add some pieces to the OL and LB group. If they're completely healthy and Bortles is gone....Texans are going to have to be much better to compete for the AFC South crown in 2019.

So who is the franchise QB in this draft that is going to do it for them his rookie year? They may get another Bortles or worse

That's what I was asking... who is that QB this year? Herbert? Locke? Grier?

If I were Coughlin, I'd draft Drew Lock, Missouri and probably sign RG III to a veterans minimum deal and let him carry the torch for the first 3-4 games unless Lock takes the job in camp.

If I were Coughlin, I'd draft Drew Lock, Missouri and probably sign RG III to a veterans minimum deal and let him carry the torch for the first 3-4 games unless Lock takes the job in camp.

Only stumbling block for Jags there is that Giants picking ahead of them and surely they will go QB this year?

Simple as that. Find a QB... easy.

Simple as that. Find a QB... easy.

It's never that simple but it gets easier the closer a team is near the top of the draft. This is not a horrible year for QB's and I see a few who could do just fine with the right team. The Jags represent a pretty decent situation for a young QB.

Back