Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

New HC candidates

Saban would coach for a year or so and then jettison to coach Bowling Green to a national championship.

No retreads (like Lovie Smith, Tom "Skinhead" Cable, M. Shanahan, The Walrus, etc.) Although Gruden or Cowher would be entertaining as hell.

Go young and smart. Someone the players will listen to and maybe even learn from.

Screw Saban. Monumental egos need not apply.

...It'll probably be Lovie...

What exactly makes him more attractive than other prospects?

And so what if he's from Texas? Who cares?

That's just the kind of provincial, local-yokel thinking that needs to be discarded.

Strange that McNair would get caught up in whether this guy or that guy is from Texas, considering he's from Florida.

Interesting name tossed around on steelernation.com, of all places:

Louisville HC Charlie Strong.

Maybe a Strong-Bridgewater package.

Not bad.

I doubt someone like Horton would see what Watt is capable and think that he should rush the passer less. Frankly, nothing guarantees that wouldn't happen with another coach, and I'd rather a guy with a proven track record like Horton.

EDIT: Also, Bleacher Report, dude.
i try to read all info including that of posters...like you. more info better. If I disagree, I discard.

No retreads (like Lovie Smith, Tom "Skinhead" Cable, M. Shanahan, The Walrus, etc.) Although Gruden or Cowher would be entertaining as hell.

Go young and smart. Someone the players will listen to and maybe even learn from.

Screw Saban. Monumental egos need not apply.

I agree. Sounds like David Shaw to me. I'm in.

I'm on board with not hiring Lovie. I don't think he would be that much of a step up from Kubiak. When I think of innovative and adaptive, he does not come to mind.

I don't think Shaw will leave Stanford but if we can get him sign me up.

Don't know much about Seahawks OC. They do have a bruising running game though.

How can you hire the leader of the team, and not allow him to pick his own assistants? And who is this "somebody" that would know a good OC if they saw one?

BTW, not a fan of Lovie Smith. Not the leader I'm looking for. Too Kubiak-esqe. Tired already of McClain pumping him up by saying "Lovie's a native Texan". Who cares? I don't care if the next coach comes from Lower Slobovia. I just want a winner.

Sorry, if we went for Lovie he would have to say who his OC is before signing and if it's some Mike Tice type I couldn't do it. If he obviously has only broad concepts and his offenses looked different under Martz but they always seem to be poorly run. If you are keeping Smith around I think that means Lovie wouldn't be in total control anyway.

I don't think Shaw will leave Stanford but if we can get him sign me up.

Don't know much about Seahawks OC. They do have a bruising running game though.

They have #2 offense in the league (points scored)

Darrell Bevell hasn't been a head coach on any level that I can find. That pretty much takes him off the list if McNair really feels it's a requirement.

I believe they'll really go hard after Gruden first then Lovie Smith. I'm not a big fan of Smith because he reminds me of Kubiak. He did lead his team to the SB, but he just doesn't strike me as the right guy for the Texans at this moment. I might be wrong, but that's my gut feeling right now.

So because it was Bleacher report you just chunked it without evaluating or offering a thought out rebuttal with your opinion?

Short answer, yes.

BR is garbage. Do you take life advice from the local bar drunk?

I can listen to them all day too and see if there is anything I can take away, but I choose not to because my time is better spent taking advice from people in life that I respect.

The local drunk and BR are not those that I respect.

Based on the tone of the press conference, McNairs limited parameters for finding a coach, along with the perception that Rick Smith threw the coaching staff under the bus and blamed the coaches for all of the Texans short comings, it will be extremely hard to get a good high quality coach in here. Expectations should be for retreads and more mediocrity.

They gave up 32 to the Jags last Sunday.

Their offense commited two turnovers, two fumbles, and a safety. And by offense I mean Weeden. The defense otherwise held Henne to less than 200 yards, an Int and sacked him twice for a QB rating of 74.5, MJD was held to 77 yards at 3.3 ypc, etc.

Based on the tone of the press conference, McNairs limited parameters for finding a coach, along with the perception that Rick Smith threw the coaching staff under the bus and blamed the coaches for all of the Texans short comings, it will be extremely hard to get a good high quality coach in here. Expectations should be for retreads and more mediocrity.

If Rick hires Lovie and drafts Teddy I think I will puke.

Ask how Bears fans feel about Lovie

Teddy isn't great against inferior competition.

Give me Jay Gruden/Billick/Holmgren

There are going to be a lot of NFL head coaching jobs up for grabs this offseason. I'm glad Houston is getting a head start in the race for good candidates, but I'm also concerned about this team getting used by a candidate to bid up their own value on the market with so many open jobs.

So regardless of who comes in for an interview, I won't get my hopes up. But who wouldn't want this job? In Houston you can suck as a head coach for a good long while before the term "accountability" even comes up. Today's 2014 head coach would be seeing his first hot seat no sooner than 2018.

With BoB as owner and Rick as GM if I had other choices I would pass on the Texans.

Nobody wants to work for a GM who will throw the guy who got him hired under the bus.

Their offense commited two turnovers, two fumbles, and a safety. And by offense I mean Weeden. The defense otherwise held Henne to less than 200 yards, an Int and sacked him twice for a QB rating of 74.5, MJD was held to 77 yards at 3.3 ypc, etc.

Thank you for clearing up what I said earlier the Browns D is damn good under Horton. I wouldn't mind the Texans bringing him in,There offense is just as bad if not worse then the Texans due too bad QB play that's what makes last weeks game by them look bad on D.

LOL. You do realize that this is one of the top sports franchises on the planet, don't you? And that we already have talent on the team? And that we have a very wealthy owner that will give his coaching staff anything it wants? You do realize all of these things, right?

Everybody and their mamma will want this job.

LOL. You do realize that this is one of the top sports franchises on the planet, don't you? And that we already have talent on the team? And that we have a very wealthy owner that will give his coaching staff anything it wants? You do realize all of these things, right?

Not to mention the #1 pick or that tax thing here in texas. Truth is rick smith will be on a shorter leash then any new coach. Bob has proven he can be patient with his coaches which oughta be a pretty nice selling point as well.

Hear me now and believe me later...it's going to be Lovie Smith. I don't think McNair will take a chance on any college or non-head coach NFL coaches. He thinks solving the Texans' issues is a plug-and-play approach with a seasoned NFL HC...he doesn't think there are personnel problems. This is very worrisome.

Agreed. We're going to get Lovie Smith (which I don't have a problem with), Jay Cutler, & we'll be able to use our draft picks to really help the team.

Only issue with that, is we'll be in QB limbo, wondering if Cutler can stay healthy or if Case can be the guy (deja vu).

Agreed. We're going to get Lovie Smith (which I don't have a problem with), Jay Cutler, & we'll be able to use our draft picks to really help the team.

Only issue with that, is we'll be in QB limbo, wondering if Cutler can stay healthy or if Case can be the guy (deja vu).

in this case (pun intended) either cutler succeeds or implodes and we draft a QB the following year in a great year for QBs.

i wouldn't mind cutler his certainly not my first option but i don't think his has bad as some suggest

With BoB as owner and Rick as GM if I had other choices I would pass on the Texans.

Nobody wants to work for a GM who will throw the guy who got him hired under the bus.

There is only 32 of these jobs in the world. Anybody in the business knows its dirty and cutthroat. probably would rather already know that I have to protect my back than to be caught by surprise.

Darrell Bevell hasn't been a head coach on any level that I can find. That pretty much takes him off the list if McNair really feels it's a requirement.

I agree. I'm not interested in him myself. He's only been there for one year, IIRC.

I would certainly like to see more experience. David Shaw is looking more and more attractive...as a head coach...not as a gay thing...not that there's anything wrong with that.

I like Ray Horton a lot too. That dude is a great defensive mind that could maximize and hopefully develop players like Brooks Reed, Mercilus, Swearinger and dare I say McCain.

As long as Wade is not the head coach I don't think we can go too wrong.

I don't want to see Cowher, Gruden, or Wade personally but out of those three id be ok with gruden if I we acquired him.

That's ridiculous. The Texans organization has unreal attraction that other teams don't. For example:

- a hands off owner
- a #1 draft pick to start your tenure as a new HC
- a defense LOADED with young talent at all levels
- an offense with an all-pro WR, an all-pro RB, two all-pro lineman and a young stud at the WR#2 position
- a division that is probably one of the weakest in the league
- a 2014 last place schedule to get rolling in first year
***added bonus - no state taxe*******

There are many other HC vacancies that are WAY worse off than we are. I would say that we probably have first rights to every HC prospect coming up this next season. No one in their right mind would pass on a gig like this. The only variable is if Rick and Bob make the right choice.

This team is far from a team in shambles. We are set up to compete next year with the right personnel and the right coaching.

I personally think they will.

Are you talking about Dallas or Houston?

Apparently you didn't see the press conference yestersday.

just stop. you're completely wrong and trolling now. This team may not be perfect, but it is very talented, has cap room, an easy schedule next year, the number 1 pick and a great fan base. A coach will love coming here.

I really want a defensive minded head coach. To be it seems better to have a defensive guy leading the team but then we need a great OC. Im just not sure who I prefer at OC yet. BUT I am all in for Ray Horton for head coach.

Are you talking about Dallas or Houston?
Dallas is no longer an attractive job IMO. Jerry Jones will have trouble attracting any decent head coaches because he's a terrible GM. He gets talent with no thoughts on team synergy. The only thing that makes Dallas better than the bottom feeding teams (AZ, TB, BUF, CLE...) is 20 year old history and/or pay.

Dallas is no longer an attractive job IMO. Jerry Jones will have trouble attracting any decent head coaches because he's a terrible GM. He gets talent with no thoughts on team synergy. The only thing that makes Dallas better than the bottom feeding teams (AZ, TB, BUF, CLE...) is 20 year old history and/or pay.

does having a terrible GM only apply to Dallas?

just stop. you're completely wrong and trolling now. This team may not be perfect, but it is very talented, has cap room, an easy schedule next year, the number 1 pick and a great fan base. A coach will love coming here.

I really want a defensive minded head coach. To be it seems better to have a defensive guy leading the team but then we need a great OC. Im just not sure who I prefer at OC yet. BUT I am all in for Ray Horton for head coach.
Not saying that Horton wouldn't make a good head coach but...he has no head coaching experience. That eliminates him from being considered based on McNair's requirements. Might want to find another candidate's train to hop onto because I don't think Horton's is heading to Houston any time soon.

see the part in BOLD above

Good answer bro.

Let me spell it out for you.

What part in the press conference are you referring to as being a contradiction to hands off owner?

If you go into his insistence to play keenum and kubiaks insistence to play schaub then that is ridiculous to take turn that into a meddling owner.

He has allowed kubiak 100% freedom for the past 8 years. The only time he stepped in was when kubiak was a dead man walking and he didn't want the teams future jeoperdized by a coach that was on his way out indefinitely.

So let me know exactly what you were referring to to contradict 8 years of hands off ownership.

Not saying that Horton wouldn't make a good head coach but...he has no head coaching experience. That eliminates him from being considered based on McNair's requirements. Might want to find another candidate's train to hop onto because I don't think Horton's is heading to Houston any time soon.

I think Bob may PREFER those things, but I wouldn't say he is 100% against hiring someone without head coach experience. I think he would be foolishly eliminating great prospects.....not to mention just because they have experience doesn't automatically make them better head coaches...

does having a terrible GM only apply to Dallas?
Nope. If you've read any of my posts on Rick Smith then you'll know I agree with you on him. The difference is, if Smith is retained and screws up he can be fired. That's not exactly going to happen to Jerry Jones. I doubt the Cowboys get a new GM until Jones is buried.

That's ridiculous. The Texans organization has unreal attraction that other teams don't. For example:

- a hands off owner
- a #1 draft pick to start your tenure as a new HC
- a defense LOADED with young talent at all levels
- an offense with an all-pro WR, an all-pro RB, two all-pro lineman and a young stud at the WR#2 position
- a division that is probably one of the weakest in the league
- a 2014 last place schedule to get rolling in first year
***added bonus - no state taxe*******

There are many other HC vacancies that are WAY worse off than we are. I would say that we probably have first rights to every HC prospect coming up this next season. No one in their right mind would pass on a gig like this. The only variable is if Rick and Bob make the right choice.

This team is far from a team in shambles. We are set up to compete next year with the right personnel and the right coaching.

I personally think they will.

I'm not too sure about the bolded part. Not saying we don't have talent, but I certainly don't think we're loaded. We have massive issues as ILB, NT, and in the secondary. Not to mention we don't have outside pass rushers and if we stay 3-4 we'll have to find 2 OLB's who can pass rush. Mercilus has been inconsistent, but I think he has some potential. In the offense, we obviously have a massive question mark at the QB position and if we can't find a good QB we're not going anywhere. Foster has been battling various injuries over the past couple of years and who knows how much he has left in the tank. Andre Johnson will be a year older and the obvious problems in the right side of our o-line. I don't think the Texans will be able to solve every problem, but they have some pieces they can build around like JJ Watt and DeAndre Hopkins. If McNair is really interested in a quick turnaround then he has to be fix the QB position first and foremost. I'm of the opinion you take the best QB available with the #1 because of the potential rewards. Then fix the o-line with good veteran players who can protect a young QB. I'm assuming Cushing will be back healthy so that will take care of the ILB but they must find good backups for him this time around. Lastly, they absolutely must find a couple of good pass rushers and that will make a huge difference on how the defense plays and it will make the secondary's job easier.

Apparently you didn't see the press conference yestersday.

I'm with you. He didn't come off as "hands off" in the press conference at all, but that's solely based on my impression. The only time he deferred to Rick at all was the question about the draft which Rick totally sidestepped.

I really don't get where the "hands off" thing comes from. I think that's a myth that's been repeated so many times that everybody believes it. The fact is that no one knows what Bob does, what Cal does, or what Rick does except people on the inside and they aren't talking.

I don't really think it's a bad thing either. I really like the way Bob came off yesterday. I want an owner who knows something about football. It's better than an owner that thinks he knows everything about it.

If anybody has anything to prove me wrong, I'd love to see it because I've been wondering about this for years.

Back