Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

New HC candidates

He's the only head coach in NCAA history to have a 100% graduation rate for senior players in a single year. The guy emphasizes being a warrior on the field and in the classroom, and he has pulled off some big wins since Harbaugh left (without Luck too). He's everything you could ask for in a coach as a human being and a leader, he's a great speaker, very well mannered, and really seems to care about his players. He runs a pro-style offense at Stanford, but how well he can compete at this level is TBD. I think he's a good option, but not my first pick. He is most definitely a Bob McNair kind of guy and will definitely be considered if he tells his agent to pursue it.

This seems like it to me, but I'm just a little hesitant to dip into college ranks without considering better options first.

That's my point. It's college. Do you want Nick Saban coaching the Texans, too?

What's your point?

Is your argument that a college HC cannot be a successful NFL HC? There are plenty of examples that would refute that; i.e. Jimmy Johnson, Jim Harbaugh, Pete Carroll, etc.

Or is your argument that you believe David Shaw is a college HC that cannot be a successful HC? If so, you have done a poor job making it.

I really hope McNair doesn't preclude himself from a guy like Horton; otherwise, the only one I'd want is a guy like Lovie.
Horton's defense allegedly restricts Watt: "Another coach that the Texans should pass on is Cleveland Browns defensive coordinator Ray Horton. He's been a top coaching candidate for years, but his brand of 3-4 defense is drastically different from Phillips'. Horton could possibly signal a huge decline for J.J. Watt, but making him more of a role player and not allowing him chance to shine."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=houston-texans

What's your point?

Is your argument that a college HC cannot be a successful NFL HC? There are plenty of examples that would refute that; i.e. Jimmy Johnson, Jim Harbaugh, Pete Carroll, etc.

Or is your argument that you believe David Shaw is a college HC that cannot be a successful HC? If so, you have done a poor job making it.

And there's plenty of college guys who've sucked in the NFL. The list is probably just as large, if not more so.

As for your second point, I insinuated no such thing. I just think he's unproven and that there are more proven options out there. I don't know if he'll be successful, but it's chancy any time you take a guy from college. He could be Jimmy Johnson. He could also be Nick Saban.

Horton's defense allegedly restricts Watt: "Another coach that the Texans should pass on is Cleveland Browns defensive coordinator Ray Horton. He's been a top coaching candidate for years, but his brand of 3-4 defense is drastically different from Phillips'. Horton could possibly signal a huge decline for J.J. Watt, but making him more of a role player and not allowing him chance to shine."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=houston-texans

I got worried for a moment and started to think I might be completely wrong, until I read the http://bleacherreport.com on the link and have decided to not only NOT click this link, but dismiss this argument altogether.

Whoever we get MUST tailor their coaching to our strengths. Anyone that would implement anything that diminishes JJ Watt as the best defensive player in football, Andre Johnson, Arian Foster, Brian Cushing, etc is a non-starter.

We have some special players. Keep them special.

I doubt someone like Horton would see what Watt is capable and think that he should rush the passer less. Frankly, nothing guarantees that wouldn't happen with another coach, and I'd rather a guy with a proven track record like Horton.

EDIT: Also, Bleacher Report, dude.

Someone explain to me the reasoning behind Shaw. I see quite a bit of potential but he has the same "talented OC" background that Kubiak had... and you tell me how that worked out. I'm not saying he isn't a good coach, but doesn't he seem a little unproven?
Shaw was assistant coach at Raiders, Ravens and Eagles.

Horton cut his hair. I can't help but think the Iverson look was hurting him in HC interviews over the offseason.

I like his cut hair look, but that's me. If he comes in and gets us a Superbowl then I'LL get cornrows. >_>

EDIT: This is what we're referring to.

Shaw was assistant coach at Raiders, Ravens and Eagles.

And that's why I see potential there. He seems like a great offensive guy, coached QBs and WRs while he was an assistant. But my point still stands, there are more proven guys out there. I like Shaw but he is not my first choice.

I like his cut hair look, but that's me. If he comes in and gets us a Superbowl then I'LL get cornrows. >_>

EDIT: This is what we're referring to.

Here's a current picture of him.

nfl_a_horton01jr_600x400.jpg

It kills me that we're talking about a candidate's hair, but we all know that McNair would never hire a guy that doesn't have a conventional hairstyle. I'm guessing Rob Ryan will get zero mentions as well.

Here's a current picture of him.

nfl_a_horton01jr_600x400.jpg

It kills me that we're talking about a candidate's hair, but we all know that McNair would never hire a guy that doesn't have a conventional hairstyle. I'm guessing Rob Ryan will get zero mentions as well.

I'd recommend that you and everyone here check Youtube for videos of this guy; very cerebral thinker.

EDIT: Here is a video of Horton being interviewed before Cleveland's training camp opening.

Whoever we get MUST tailor their coaching to our strengths. Anyone that would implement anything that diminishes JJ Watt as the best defensive player in football, Andre Johnson, Arian Foster, Brian Cushing, etc is a non-starter.

We have some special players. Keep them special.

One of the most talked about reasons for bringing Wade here was that he adapted his scheme to his players and put them in position to succeed.

You want more of that?

I'd prefer a coach that recognizes and utilizes that talent. The only thing they MUST do is win

I'd recommend that you and everyone here check Youtube for videos of this guy; very cerebral thinker.

I've seen the video on this page where he talks about Dick LeBeau's influence on him. I'd hire him just based on that.

I think McNair should send a plane to Pittsburgh to pick him up as soon as the final whistle blows on December 29. I'm pretty sure the Browns don't have a prayer of getting in the playoffs no matter how solid his defense is.

I'm dead against the idea of ruling candidates out on the basis that we've hired guys with similar CVs previously and it hasn't worked out.

If the CV is good enough to get the man to interview, base the decision on what he says he sees our team becoming under his stewardship.

How excited does he get about JJ Watt and Cushing, does he see talent at the starting positions in the secondary that he can work with and get turned around.

On offence do we need 10 new linemen or can he tailor his scheme to what we already have?

It's questions like this that will decide whether we are back in playoff contention next year or have a .500 record over the next 5 years, not whether a guy comes in as a talented OC like Kubes did.

Of course as fans we can only speculate to what people might want to do.

For instance if a guy is running a great D with an O minded HC, we'd value that, but we don't really know for sure whether he's a better candidate than anyone else on the list.

I've seen the video on this page where he talks about Dick LeBeau's influence on him. I'd hire him just based on that.

I think McNair should send a plane to Pittsburgh to pick him up as soon as the final whistle blows on December 29. I'm pretty sure the Browns don't have a prayer of getting in the playoffs no matter how solid his defense is.

Thanks for the link; I'd seen it before, but I'd love to get Horton's name out more.

And I agree; Horton wants a head coaching job, and waiting for another team to grab him would be a terrible idea. In that way, starting the search now is a blessing.

Screw Bill Cowher and Chuckie Gruden those guys being away from the game has turned some of the posters here having a nostalgia for them. You would want Gruden gone by year three just from drafting alone. Cowher I don't know what to expect since it's been so long for him. Why not all this clamoring for Brian Billick? He won a superbowl too.

Shaw sounds interesting (although really two coaches from the same school, something tells me one of them won't be as good as the other, and it'd be the second if I had to bet on it), don't really like the idea of Bevell, or Knapp as an OC (Knapp as an OC would be the worst thing this team could do).

I'd be fine with Lovie too, but he can't pick his OC, you have to have somebody who can do that for him.

When an owner fires an offensive guy they usually replace him with a defensive guy and vice versa. It'll probably be Lovie...which is fine as long as we also hire a good OC take 100% control of the offense (ala Phillips with Kubiak after 2010).

Whatever happens, I DO NOT want Gruden. The last thing we need going into preseason 2014 is 15 scrub QBs on the roster battling for least worst.

And there's plenty of college guys who've sucked in the NFL. The list is probably just as large, if not more so.

As for your second point, I insinuated no such thing. I just think he's unproven and that there are more proven options out there. I don't know if he'll be successful, but it's chancy any time you take a guy from college. He could be Jimmy Johnson. He could also be Nick Saban.

He's proven himself as an NFL assistant, college assistant and college HC. The only position he hasn't proven himself in is NFL HC. Based on his resume, I am willing to give him that opportunity.

He's also a Stanford grad, FWIW.

I don't study NFL coaches as much as others appear to do. However, I'm going to go with Jon Gruden. He stirs up so much negative passion around here that he must have a lot going for him.

Saban had minimal NFL experience. Shaw has mainly NFL experience plus grew up in NFL locker rooms. Not the same situation.

False. Saban was the lbs coach with parcells with giants.Saban was also on belicheks staff in cleveland. Saban also had success at mich st,lso,and now bama. What are you talking about

David Shaw is the top of my list, but all indications are that he's happy at Stanford and considers it his lifelong "dream job".

I'm afraid I agree with both points. He seems to be his own man. With all his family ties there and his "dream job" he doesn't seem to be a person who would chase the all mighty dollar nor the prestige of being an NFL HC. He seems too damn happy where he is but he's still my first choice. I can say though I think he's certainly "Texans Worthy".

Are we David Shaw worthy?

That's the man I wanna see on the sideline on Sundays.

It doesn't matter who the coach is- if the organization doesn't have better accountability and intelligence. To see Rick Smith palm the failed draft picks on the coaching means that he is either admitting he is a complete puppet, a weakling, or both.

Great, I don't want the new head coach learning how to be a head coach on the job, either, but that is basically what we have had with Smith AS THE GENERAL MANAGER. I'll grant you that Smith has mastered the art of organizational politics, but I see absolutely no progress in the actual business of making shrewd football decisions. He takes all the credit for good moves and none of the blame for the mistakes. At least Kubiak was a man.

One of the most talked about reasons for bringing Wade here was that he adapted his scheme to his players and put them in position to succeed.

You want more of that?

YES!! But someone who is better at it than Wade. Seriously some of the crap being posted here is rediculous. First, don't hire a head coach who's won a Super Bowl now don't hire a coach that adjust his scheme to fit the players strengths. :mcnugget:

False. Saban was the lbs coach with parcells with giants.Saban was also on belicheks staff in cleveland. Saban also had success at mich st,lso,and now bama. What are you talking about

In fairness, infantry said minimal. Secondly, Saban did not coach with Parcells. That was Bill Belichek who was the linebackers coach on the Giants. Saban was a defensive back coach. He had a year with the Oilers as a DB coach and then the 3 years as defensive coach with Belichek in Cleveland. That is it. I would call that minimal. Saban is part of Belichek's coach tree and Chek part of Parcells.

YES!! But someone who is better at it than Wade. Seriously some of the crap being posted here is rediculous. First, don't hire a head coach who's won a Super Bowl now don't hire a coach that adjust his scheme to fit the players strengths. :mcnugget:

There is no "better than wade" option. He's the best at it. Dude's defenses have done this for decades. 1st year, they look like the 85 bears & by his last year they look like the 2010 texans. That more than anything should tell you that adjusting your scheme to fit your players strengths needs to be minimal b/c ultimately good teams/qbs find out what you can't do well & they force you to do it.

Instead of hoping to find a guy who adjusts his scheme to fit his players' strengths you should want a coach who finds players that fit his scheme perfectly...

That's my point. It's college. Do you want Nick Saban coaching the Texans, too?

I would hire Saban in a heartbeat if he wanted to come back and give the NFL another shot. Get him a QB and the rest will take care of itself. The man can coach. Same way I felt about Pete Carroll before we decided to stick with Kubiak in 09.

Jon Gruden, analyst, ESPN -- Just about everyone figures he’ll return at some point. Owners continue to check out his interest.

Lovie Smith, former head coach, Chicago -- The native Texan led the Bears to a Super Bowl and was fired after going 10-6 last season.

Darrell Bevell, offensive coordinator, Seattle -- Before running the Seahawks’ offense and coaching Russell Wilson, he was the coordinator at Minnesota and Green Bay.

Gus Malzahn, head coach, Auburn -- The native Texan has been a head coach for two seasons, but he helped Auburn win a national title as offensive coordinator.

Bill O’Brien, head coach, Penn State -- The former New England assistant under Bill Belichick has done a solid job under difficult circumstances.

Todd Bowles, defensive coordinator, Arizona -- He’s got 15 years of NFL coaching experience, and he’s doing an outstanding job with the Cardinals’ defense.

Pete Carmichael, offensive coordinator, New Orleans -- This is his eighth season with the Saints, and they’ve had one of the league’s most prolific offenses.

David Shaw, head coach, Stanford -- The former NFL assistant is so hot right now he can almost have his pick of jobs if he wants to move.

Greg Roman, offensive coordinator, San Francisco -- The former Texans’ assistant excelled under Jim Harbaugh at Stanford and followed him to the 49ers.

Raymond Horton is the defensive coordinator of the Cleveland Browns. He was an assistant coach for the Washington Redskins, Cincinnati Bengals, Detroit Lions, and Pittsburgh Steelers. 2011, Horton was defensive coordinator for the Arizona Cardinals. 2013, Horton was hired as the defensive coordinator of the Cleveland Browns.

I would honestly be okay with any of these guys except wade, thats why he is no longer listed

If Lovie can make it to the super bowl with grossman he can win it with schaub or keenum

You want more of that?

I'd prefer a coach that recognizes and utilizes that talent. The only thing they MUST do is win

He didn't say hide weakness he said keep our special players special... all those guys listed don't have a weakness

There is no "better than wade" option. He's the best at it. Dude's defenses have done this for decades. 1st year, they look like the 85 bears & by his last year they look like the 2010 texans. That more than anything should tell you that adjusting your scheme to fit your players strengths needs to be minimal b/c ultimately good teams/qbs find out what you can't do well & they force you to do it.

Instead of hoping to find a guy who adjusts his scheme to fit his players' strengths you should want a coach who finds players that fit his scheme perfectly...

Just plain silly.

1A. David Shaw 1B. Jimbo Fisher 3. Darrell Bevell

FWIW part of the reason ( and a big part) why Saban left Miami is because of limited control he had on selecting and drafting players he wanted.

I'd be fine with Lovie too, but he can't pick his OC, you have to have somebody who can do that for him.
How can you hire the leader of the team, and not allow him to pick his own assistants? And who is this "somebody" that would know a good OC if they saw one?

BTW, not a fan of Lovie Smith. Not the leader I'm looking for. Too Kubiak-esqe. Tired already of McClain pumping him up by saying "Lovie's a native Texan". Who cares? I don't care if the next coach comes from Lower Slobovia. I just want a winner.

How can you hire the leader of the team, and not allow him to pick his own assistants? And who is this "somebody" that would know a good OC if they saw one?

BTW, not a fan of Lovie Smith. Not the leader I'm looking for. Too Kubiak-esqe. Tired already of McClain pumping him up by saying "Lovie's a native Texan". Who cares? I don't care if the next coach comes from Lower Slobovia. I just want a winner.

I agree but I wanted to throw something out. I've been saying all day what you just did because most people I know here in Chicago have told me they loved Lovie..,nice guy, players love him... Basically a better coach than Kubes. Same mold and demeanor. So got them to a SB but issues with hiring OC and being conservative. BUT one of my closest coworkers who lives and breathes Bears wrote me an email that said "Lovie can be a pretty tough guy behind the scenes,main failing with Lovie was not having a grasp of offense." So not a lot different but was adamant in follow ups that tougher behind closed doors. Though that was a Kubes rumor too. I still think there is better out there. I think OBrien...nfl experience and college HC would be better

After watching the press conference again, I was struck by McNair's criteria for the next HC.

I think he substantially limits the field by requiring both NFL and head coaching experience. Also says a lot about Rick Smith's role in the organization which looks like glorified "yes man.".

Almost guarantees he's going with Lovie IMO.

After watching the press conference again, I was struck by McNair's criteria for the next HC.

I think he substantially limits the field by requiring both NFL and head coaching experience. Also says a lot about Rick Smith's role in the organization which looks like glorified "yes man.".

Almost guarantees he's going with Lovie IMO.

I had the impression that he would very much prefer those qualities, but he's a smart enough owner to not limit himself. I was more concerned with his statements about this not being a long rebuilding period; I'd hate to see him go from hand-offs with the team to the second coming of Jerry.

I had the impression that he would very much prefer those qualities, but he's a smart enough owner to not limit himself. I was more concerned with his statements about this not being a long rebuilding period; I'd hate to see him go from hand-offs with the team to the second coming of Jerry.

I feel the same way, but (and of course I don't know the man personally, so I'm just spitballing) I feel like he is a different personality type from Jerry. If he does go Jerry, though.... we're in for a long ride. :vincepalm:

Back