Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Kevin Walter can go sit on the bench..

Shoulda had two TD's .... Schaub missed him on one and had another one way off target that Walter bailed him out on after getting .... all alone wide open.

How bout that INT saving tip / catch by Graham ....

The drive where Schaub missed him deep was the same one KW got his TD on.:kitten:

KW will never be a speed burner, but he HARDLY drops passes. He's a sure-handed guy who's definitely done a BETTER job of getting downfield this year. He should be a solid No. 3 but he's our No. 2 and I'm OK with that.

I went off on KW a lot before the season. He is pleasantly surprising me at this point and playing better then expected. Hopefully he can keep it up.

Last edited:
I went off on KW a lot before the season. He is pleasantly surprising me at this point and playing better then expect. Hopefully he can keep it up.

To me the biggest difference is having AJ out there healthy and coverages rolling to him and KW has always been good at getting into holes in coverage. He's not a typical WR or the kind that you and I would want for a #2 slot on the WR corps, but he's certainly got a niche in the offense. I do think it's a matter of time before he does get supplanted and moved down into the #3 where he's better suited. I don't know if he's exceeding my expectations as much as he looks better in the role he's supposed to be in.

Overall the execution in this offense has been impressive this year in that this offense will come at you from different angles. They're a run first team with Foster and Tate, they can go over the top with AJ, OD is killing people over the middle (already has matched last season's TDs), and it seems like other people, while not consistent, are stepping up and making plays when they need it. Schaub has been pretty much like a conductor in this offense this year distributing the ball.

The drive where Schaub missed him deep was the same one KW got his TD on.:kitten:

Thats why I said he should have had 2 TD's ... the other one Schaub made go to the turf when he was all alone. That ball thrown accurately he coulda jogged to the endzone.

KW plays amazingly well 1 or 2 games a year, pretty well for a bunch of others, and disappears for a few. This is not out of his normal production. Ravens were missing their #1 corner. He had a good matchup and exploited it. I wouldn't call this a breakout performance just yet

Kw is doing what he needs to do. Catch footballs and get open. This is what will keep him as a starter. Blocking and stuff is great, but wr's must catch footballs.

KW plays amazingly well 1 or 2 games a year, pretty well for a bunch of others, and disappears for a few. This is not out of his normal production. Ravens were missing their #1 corner. He had a good matchup and exploited it. I wouldn't call this a breakout performance just yet

He does what he always does. He is a GREAT complimentary receiver and possession guy. No one would ever call him a #1 WR (although when he has been #1 with AJ out he has done pretty decently) but he is all you want in a #2. Reliable, great hands, in great sync with the QB, aware of down and distance and a great blocker.

Kevin Walter is still on of my favorite Texan. His kick butt attitude and catching damned near everything thrown his way will keep him on my list. Some things can't be coached or taught. Attitude is one.

Kw is doing what he needs to do. Catch footballs and get open. This is what will keep him as a starter. Blocking and stuff is great, but wr's must catch footballs.

To me it looked like Kubiak changed their roles up a little bit. He knows that Andre is still going to get a lot of attention, but he didn't ask Andre to sprint up field. Andre did a lot of hooks, quick outs, a lot of "possesion" type stuff. KDub.... I don't know if I ever saw him downfield that often.

We finally found a receiver that can't outrun Matt's arm, & that may be a good thing for us. If Kubiak can keep drawing up plays to get him open..... may actually make more sense than trying to get the young'ns up to speed.

Andre still appears to be high on Schaub's progression list, 9 catches for 86 yards... add a touchdown & I'd take that any day, every day.

The rabid Lestar Jean fanbase has been awfully quiet this year. :kitten:

Jean made a few plays when given the opportunity .... he's been inactive after a knee scope for the past couple weeks. I expect him to contribute when he returns .... believe it or not , he's much like Walter.

Jean made a few plays when given the opportunity .... he's been inactive after a knee scope for the past couple weeks. I expect him to contribute when he returns .... believe it or not , he's much like Walter.

Wasn't he on the field yesterday? I think he took several snaps, especially late. I don't think he was targeted, but he didn't look bad.

That second deep ball that KDub caught in the middle of the 3rd would have been a TD if he hadn't have hesitated. We scored anyway and took waaaay more time off the clock, which worked out better in my opinion.

For a guy with no speed he can still get seperation deep downfield, must run some MEAN routes.

Walter runs very crisp and precice routes which is a big part of the reason they use him in combination routes that free up other guy's.

That second deep ball that KDub caught in the middle of the 3rd would have been a TD if he hadn't have hesitated. We scored anyway and took waaaay more time off the clock, which worked out better in my opinion.

Her didnt hesitate .... Schaub made an errant throw and Walter made the catch anyway.

I've always been an a KW fan. He may not be flashy, or high profile but he can catch the ball in some clutch situations

yep. Looks like some fans are finally starting to figure out our offense. The no. 2 WR plays a specific role. Just because two players are wide receivers does not necessarily mean that they are used the exact same way in the scheme. The folks complaining that Walter could not just step up as no. 1 when AJ went down always seems confused by this Kubiak offense. When we eventually lose Walter, they will be shocked when Kubiak tries to find another no. 2 WR just like him simply because that's how this offense is designed.

He already found a no. 2 just like him. It's my firm belief he drafted Posey for the specific purpose of taking that role in 3 or 4 years. So we can make the transition without a hitch

He's been hurt and out for the past several weeks. Nothing to cheer.

Even so, people like the OP who are/were at the least anti-Walter fans have been quiet, and I haven't heard any peeps about him getting benched for Jean even when he's 100%. I like Jean but some people have gross overassumptions of what he really is, which is probably at best a contributor that can make some plays, but is likely not going to be a superstar and maybe not even an NFL starter.

yep. Looks like some fans are finally starting to figure out our offense. The no. 2 WR plays a specific role. Just because two players are wide receivers does not necessarily mean that they are used the exact same way in the scheme. The folks complaining that Walter could not just step up as no. 1 when AJ went down always seems confused by this Kubiak offense. When we eventually lose Walter, they will be shocked when Kubiak tries to find another no. 2 WR just like him simply because that's how this offense is designed.

Man Im not looking forward to that .... But then again , maybe some who have been on Walters ass for the past year or two will finally realize just how important he is to the success of this offensive scheme and in every facet.

:kitten:

He's on pace to have his best year since 2008 which was the last time he had over 800 yards receiving.

There's been rumors and talk that maybe he's been playing with and through injuries the past couple of years. If that's true and if he returns to 2008 form, that could be huge because 2007/2008, KW was a clutch, go-to, move-the-chains receiver. 2009/2010/2011... not so much.

He's on pace to have his best year since 2008 which was the last time he had over 800 yards receiving.

There's been rumors and talk that maybe he's been playing with and through injuries the past couple of years. If that's true and if he returns to 2008 form, that could be huge because 2007/2008, KW was a clutch, go-to, move-the-chains receiver. 2009/2010/2011... not so much.

Regardless. If Everyone in the organization "knew" KDub was capable of a game like that, he wouldn't have been asked to take a paycut. He would have restructured or exteded his deal. As it is, He obviously plays better than he practices & Kubiak went on faith & put in a few plays for him to "stretch" the defense.

He looked like a #2 receiver. A prototypical productive #2. Reggie Wayne to Marvin Harris, Torry Holt to Isaac Bruce, Torry Smith to Anquan Boldin.... ok, he looked better than Boldin & Smith combined, but you get my point.

According to spotrac, KW received a $1M bonus in 2011 to bump his overall salary to $3M.

I try to compare his contract with other #2 receiver on 15 other teams (starting in alphabet order: AZ, ATL, and so on,) I found that there's only one team with two receivers having a better contract than KW (the Bears with Edwards and Hester.)

KW's contract is actually better than that of the #1 receiver on some team.

Paycut or no paycut, he's still very well compensated.

Kdub says hello from the end zone:
RavensWalterTD2.gif

WalterTDSpike1.gif

BroncosWalterTD1.gif

Back