Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

JJ Watt - MVP

Rodgers will win the MVP, but the best he can do on the tele are lame-ass, tired Hans And Franz commercials. South Park is where its at, baby.

AR is the best player this season, and yes, he is a QB, but this year, right now, AR is the MVP. No slight on JJ.

Not even close. Jj Watt is the best football player by a mile.... it's not even close. But he's nowhere near as valuable as Rodgers is to Greenbay.

Will the NFL make changes to the award, my guess is if a defensive player can do this annually, then yes, but if we have a D player have these years every 3-4 seasons, then it will continue to be the same.
JJ does this again next season and the year after or another D player joins the party, then I think maybe the league would make a change. I am sure most people (fans) do not really care about the award.The player, team does, but fans, ehh.. how does it change anything other than being able to say he was MVP instead of DPOY?

I doubt it. The rules have been changed to make it a more vertical game & that's what makes players like Jj Watt command a premium. You gotta have those guys to slow these QBs down.

With the rules slanted against defense, it's going to be extremely difficult to get a defensive MVP.

I know, I know... it's sad when a guy like Aaron Rodgers gets an MVP for doing what RGIII did as a rookie, but that's the way it is.

i would love to see a .GIF of a play like this (55 is the center) that also contained one of nelson or lacy catch and run for touchdown. one has every rule against him, 1000lbs of offensive players attempting to keep him from making an impact, and he's still doing things that eclipse every defensive player in the past 50 years. the other guy is wearing a skirt and watching as he throws in ways that hall of fame defenders would be accused of murder for such midfield atrocities. MVP?

Just looking at this pic kinda makes me sad. The other 3 have one on ones and can't do jack squat

How does it change anything for AR other than being able to say he was MVP instead of OPOY?

DPOy - Best defensive player in the league

OPOy - Best non-QB offensive player in the league

MVP - Best QB in the league, but left vague enough to include no QBs in the event no QB truly stands out.

Rodgers gets it hands down. This years he is the best in the NFL over every other QB so he deserves it.

Just looking at this pic kinda makes me sad. The other 3 have one on ones and can't do jack squat

yep. We have J.J. Watt and a bunch of mediocre players on the line and at LB.

As far as the so-called "MVP" award, let's call it what it really is: offensive player popularity contest, or "OPPC". You can toss it to Rodgers, Brady, Manning, who cares when it is obviously a pre-biased award that cannot be quantified against other positions.

There is only one trophy that J.J. cares about, and you are not gifted it by popular opinion. You earn it through blood, sweat, and tears. We can only hope that J.J.'s drive can lift this entire franchise to follow his lead to get that championship trophy.

Watt needs to go out and dominate the next 3 games in order to win. He needs to have direct impacts of us winning to get into the playoffs. If he can do that, he will win it.

Watt needs to go out and dominate the next 3 games in order to win. He needs to have direct impacts of us winning to get into the playoffs. If he can do that, he will win it.

Agreed. If he can be primarily responsible for Andrew Luck to turn in numbers like he did last week

24 of 53 (45.3%) for 294 yards (5.5 avg) 2 TDs 2 INTs 59.8 QBR...

& do the same for Flacco, he'll get my vote. If the Texans still can't win, that's on Fitz & OB

Sooo basically Watt needs to play QB cause that is the only way he is gonna win the MVP over Rodgers...

They are not gonna let him have a well deserved MVP while he plays on a sub par 500 team...

JJ Watt has become popular enough to get his own character on the up coming South Park.

New 'South Park' holiday episode will feature J.J. Watt, Redskins again

JJ_Watt_South_Park_Video_Picture.png

Well he's got 14.5 now after getting 3 today. We've got 3 games to go, Luck's good for one. Flacco two. Bortles will probably do a Brett Favre to Strahan for him and give him three.

That's 20.5

it could happen

How about 6, 7 and 8 to give him 25.5?

He isn't going to win anything. They don't give that award out to defensive players. Hell, they don't give it to offensive players unless they are on a playoff team as well. If the Texans were a #1 or #2 seed, he'd have a lot bigger shot at being the once exception to win this award after however many years, but the Texans haven't been a good enough team for Watt to take that over a QB that is having as good of a year as Rodgers is along with Brady as well. Manning has had another terrific season again too. If this was a down QB year, that would help Watt, but there are three QB's having sensational seasons. A QB will win it

If he wins it he wins it. If not.well all I can say is scrap the "MVP" award..just keep the offensive and defensive players of the year awards.

Not just because I am a fan of JJ..it is just he is doing things that hasn't been done since the 40s and if a Defensive player can't win an MVP award with that then none will

If there was an Outstanding Player of the Year award to go along with the Most Valuable Player award, and J.J. won the former and Rodgers won the latter would that still bother people?

If there was an Outstanding Player of the Year award to go along with the Most Valuable Player award, and J.J. won the former and Rodgers won the latter would that still bother people?

If there were an Offensive Player of the Year award and Rodgers won it with JJ winning the MVP, would that bother people? And why?

There is one thing JJ has in his favor in light of what we see in current society. People want to see/support the first someone in something - first freshman to win the Heisman, first black president, first blah in blah.

The first defensive player to win MVP in x years has a nice ring to it.

Then again, maybe I'm just squinting my eyes and tilting my head to put a Texans spin on things.

And the purpose of the question was just as clear as the question was silly.

Fans want J.J. given the top individual award for his performance, which is completely reasonable. Amongst the talking heads and his peers alike he's almost unanimously recognized as the best player in the game today. There just doesn't happen to be a trophy for that.

Fans want J.J. given the top individual award for his performance, which is completely reasonable. Amongst the talking heads and his peers alike he's almost unanimously recognized as the best player in the game today. There just doesn't happen to be a trophy for that.

Actually, that's what Player of the year (MVP) is supposed to be; however, the sportswriters seem to take the term Valuable to literally.

I think JJ is more valuable to his team than any other, including Rodgers, Manning, Luck...etc. Perhaps if they were to line up on D and get a sack or two

:kitten:

Don't worry about it. JJ will win the MVP and this argument will have been about nothing.

The disconnect seems to be come up when some fans assert (intentionally or otherwise) that the DPOY award is the top individual honor, but don't hold the OPOY award in the same esteem, favoring the MVP award. If you're going to have an individual award that carries more prestige than any other, then it needs to be realistically available to players from both sides of the ball. If your intention is to make the MVP award the top offensive player, then do away with the OPOY award. If your intent is to glorify offense and tell defensive players to fk off, then have an MVP award that only goes to offensive players and an OPOY award that only goes to offensive players.

So the original question you posed is no more a valid question that then one I answered with.

I think JJ is more valuable to his team than any other, including Rodgers, Manning, Luck...etc. Perhaps if they were to line up on D and get a sack or two

I pointed it out upthread in response to Tkyss. He made the assertion that guys like JJ Watt command a premium because this is a QB driven league. Well, to me that means JJ Watt is more valuable. As I also said upthread, Aaron Rodgers is sooooo valuable to his team that you could literally replace him with about 4 other QBs (maybe more, to be honest) and achieve approximately the same results. JJ Watt is so valuable that he is absolutely irreplaceable.

When what you do is no better than what your contemporaries could do, then you are no more valuable than they are. When what you do is quite literally unparalleled, that's value.

I pointed it out upthread in response to Tkyss. He made the assertion that guys like JJ Watt command a premium because this is a QB driven league. Well, to me that means JJ Watt is more valuable. As I also said upthread, Aaron Rodgers is sooooo valuable to his team that you could literally replace him with about 4 other QBs (maybe more, to be honest) and achieve approximately the same results. JJ Watt is so valuable that he is absolutely irreplaceable.

When what you do is no better than what your contemporaries could do, then you are no more valuable than they are. When what you do is quite literally unparalleled, that's value.

Aaron Rodgers makes the Packers a Super Bowl contender. Jj Watt makes the Texans a wild-card contender.

Until they change the rules of how the game is played, Aaron Rodgers is more valuable than Jj Watt.

But don't feel bad, Jj Watt is more valuable than... Ryan Fitzpatrick, RGIII, Eli Manning, Shaun Hill, Ryan Tannehill, Kyle Orton, Derek Carr, Drew Brees....

Actually, that's what Player of the year (MVP) is supposed to be; however, the sportswriters seem to take the term Valuable to literally.

:kitten:

That's how words work.

The disconnect seems to be come up when some fans assert (intentionally or otherwise) that the DPOY award is the top individual honor, but don't hold the OPOY award in the same esteem, favoring the MVP award. If you're going to have an individual award that carries more prestige than any other, then it needs to be realistically available to players from both sides of the ball. If your intention is to make the MVP award the top offensive player, then do away with the OPOY award. If your intent is to glorify offense and tell defensive players to fk off, then have an MVP award that only goes to offensive players and an OPOY award that only goes to offensive players.

So the original question you posed is no more a valid question that then one I answered with.

It's realistically been won by both sides of the ball.

Their intent has shamelessly been to glorify offense. That cat is lightyears away from that bag.

J.J. is out of this world, clearly. The fact that he's causing such debate and pushing the issue with his play is incredible. I say that because it's next to impossible for a defensive player to be of such significance within the framework of the way the game is operated today. He's set himself apart in that regard, but he's still behind an eightball in that, like it or not, the quarterback is a factor in every single play. Far more so than any one defensive player. A quarterback can literally change a play any which way he wants before he even touches the ball every snap. He then proceeds to touch the ball on every single play. It's just the nature of that position being one foot out in front of the discussion of value, and not any knock whatsoever on J.J.

I hope he does enough the rest of the way to win it. Means we'll probably be playing football in January. But I understand the rationale if a guy like Rodgers were to win it with the way he's playing this year.

you really think that replacing JJ with one of those qb's make the Texans a SB contender?

:lol:

Add on of those to JJ then yes. Add JJ to any of the teams led by those then yes. Replacing not so much.

Add a bonafide elite qb to the Texans and yes, Fitzpatrick ain't that

When something hasn't happened in 30 years and retreats farther and farther away from reality, I'm not sure your point can be supported.

That's exactly why Watt will win it this year. The voters will be seen as forward thinking and innovative. Well, retro-innovative.

That's my spin.

When something hasn't happened in 30 years and retreats farther and farther away from reality, I'm not sure your point can be supported.

Has it been won by both sides of the ball?

Point supported then, regardless of it's happened enough times for eriadoc.

Back