Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

JJ Watt - MVP

So a RB hitting 2000 yards in a QB driven league is pretty outstanding, but a DL doing things that no one has ever done before in a QB driven league is second rate?

Not at all what I said. It depends on how Jj finishes the year. Jj is having an outstanding year, but he's not the only one.

Agreed

But the talk that JJ should be MVP is national, not just us Texan fans

If this award is clearly about the most VALUABLE player, then Watt has no chance. A guy like Rodgers, Manning, Brady can transform a middle of the pack team into a contender. A defensive player can never have that impact.

If we are talking about the best player, I think Watt has to be the front runner. What he is doing (and has been doing for the past seasons) is historical. All those QBs have good seasons, but all of them has been done before and noone really separates himself. Watt is in a league of his own.

If this award is clearly about the most VALUABLE player, then Watt has no chance. A guy like Rodgers, Manning, Brady can transform a middle of the pack team into a contender. A defensive player can never have that impact.

Cleary wrong. Interchange the top 5 QBS and there is little effect.

THERE IS NO TOP 5 TO INTERCHANGE WITH JJ. There is JJ then.......................

Cleary wrong. Interchange the top 5 QBS and there is little effect.

THERE IS NO TOP 5 TO INTERCHANGE WITH JJ. There is JJ then.......................

Replace TeBow with Manning & they're one of two teams you have to get through to get to the Super Bowl.

If you were to put Jj Watt on that team with TeBow & no one is talking about them in December.

remember this

Until we are in we are this

[IMGwidthsize=400]http://www.apogeephoto.com/june2011/Hitchman_photos/Racetrack_sliding-rock-h.jpg[/IMG]

...just leave the rock alone and see where it goes.

We're not in that situation if Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady, Peyton Manning under center. That's the difference between the value of those guys & Jj Watt.

Replace TeBow with Manning & they're one of two teams you have to get through to get to the Super Bowl.

If you were to put Jj Watt on that team with TeBow & no one is talking about them in December.

remember this

We're not in that situation if Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady, Peyton Manning under center. That's the difference between the value of those guys & Jj Watt.

20110817_0129.jpg

Replace Watt with one of those guys and we got 2010 all over again. Remember that fun?

yeah, no thanks

Replace Watt with one of those guys and we got 2010 all over again. Remember that fun?

yeah, no thanks

I don't think that's true. Those guys have won their fair share of games with bad defenses.

I don't think that's true. Those guys have won their fair share of games with bad defenses.

And they've lost with good defenses.

How many QB's are out there you would consider elite? That can carry a team?

How many JJ Watts are out there?

And they've lost with good defenses.

How many QB's are out there you would consider elite? That can carry a team?

How many JJ Watts are out there?

He is without a doubt the most unique player in the league. The best football player, the most outstanding player in the entire league.

But he doesn't create wins like those QBs. Doesn't have the same value.

Like I said, if he shuts down Andrew Luck, & Joe Flacco, & we win our wildcard game with Jj Watt shutting down the opposing QB, then it's likely he'll win the most valuable player.

Because Brady, Manning, & Rogers will score points as if they're playing the worse defense in the league. 30 points, 40 points.....

But with Tebow they went to the playoffs, WON a playoff game (their first in 6 years) and were a team on the rise having finished 4 games better than the 4 wins they had the previous season.

Manning shows up and they continue the upward trend with 5 more wins, but he goes no further than Tebow did in the playoffs. Actually, Manning didn't go that far. Tebow actually won a playoff game, Manning didn't that following year.

Look, I get that the QB has the giant spotlight on them, chicks dig them, whatever, because they touch the ball on every single play. Of course that's a valuable position. Arguably the most valuable position. It's why QBs have a W/L record on their stat sheet and no one else does. But look at the QBs around the league, the best QBs, and you can make a case for any of them to be in the so-called "MVP" conversation. Brees, Manning, Brady, Luck, hell, even Romo who has the highest QB rating of that bunch, are all putting up similar stats to Rodgers and all have their teams in serious contention.

You take any of those guys off of those teams, and they are all EQUALLY as valuable as Rodgers is to the Packers.

And unlike all of these top QBs who all have similar stats, there is no one comparing to what Watt is doing.

The award shouldn't be called MVP any more because QBs are always going to have a year like Rodgers this year, Manning last year, Rodgers the year before that, Brady before that, Manning, Brady, blah, blah, blah, with the occasional rare feat a Peterson puts up thrown in from time to time.

But if the rarest of feats that Watt is doing and making it a habit can't get that highest recognition of value over what these same 4 or 5 QBs do year in and year out, then there's really no point to these awards.

The award shouldn't be called MVP any more because QBs are always going to have a year like Rodgers this year, Manning last year, Rodgers the year before that, Brady before that, Manning, Brady, blah, blah, blah, with the occasional rare feat a Peterson puts up thrown in from time to time.

But if the rarest of feats that Watt is doing and making it a habit can't get that highest recognition of value over what these same 4 or 5 QBs do year in and year out, then there's really no point to these awards.

Or they should come up with another award.... best player, or something to that effect, but then we'd be pissed that the best player will also get the OPOY or the DPOY.

I'll be happy when Jj wins DPOY & Demarco Murray wins the OPOY. I won't pay any attention to the MVP, because I know what it is & don't hold any real value to it. It's a QB driven league & they've slanted the game in that favor.

Come back player of the year.... Ryan Fitzpatrick if he has five more games like the one he had Sunday.

Yeah, that last one was just to stir the pot

Or they should come up with another award.... best player, or something to that effect, but then we'd be pissed that the best player will also get the OPOY or the DPOY.

I'll be happy when Jj wins DPOY & Demarco Murray wins the OPOY. I won't pay any attention to the MVP, because I know what it is & don't hold any real value to it. It's a QB driven league & they've slanted the game in that favor.

If it was still called player of the year and not mvp, this wouldn't even be a discussion
Come back player of the year.... Ryan Fitzpatrick if he has five more games like the one he had Sunday.

Yeah, that last one was just to stir the pot

The award are voted on before the playoffs, not after so 4 more

yeah I know you were :D

If it was still called player of the year and not mvp, this wouldn't even be a discussion

The award are voted on before the playoffs, not after so 4 more

yeah I know you were :D

You sure? I thought they voted wild-card weekend or shortly after.

You sure? I thought they voted wild-card weekend or shortly after.

The AP NFL MVP award is voted upon by sportswriters at the end of the regular season, before the playoffs, though the results are not announced to the public until the day before the Super Bowl.

link

Rodgers is so valuable to his team that you could literally replace him with at leat 3 or 4 other QBs and that team would be just as good. Who are you going to replace Watt with?

So there's nothing special or even more valuable about one over another, once you're talking about the top 4 or 5 QBs.
That's not the point. JJ is playing de at a higher level than anyone is playing their position. But, a great DE is not as valuable as a great QB. The nature of the game has made the positions impossible to compare.

That's not the point. JJ is playing de at a higher level than anyone is playing their position. But, a great DE is not as valuable as a great QB. The nature of the game has made the positions impossible to compare.

They never should have changed the name from Player of the Year

OK, I'll word it this way - Rodgers not the most valuable player. He is no more valuable than Brady or Manning, at minimum, and perhaps less valuable than either. Frankly, nothing any of the top 4 or 5 QB do will make them more valuable, because they're not that special relative to their contemporaries. The position might be more valuable, but the P in MVP stands for player, not position.

If he gets 20 sacks this year the award is basically pointless. Big numbers like that are easy to understand and communicate to fans not watching the Texans. They will realize a guy with 20 sacks and TD's is a monster.

If he gets 20 sacks this year the award is basically pointless. Big numbers like that are easy to understand and communicate to fans not watching the Texans. They will realize a guy with 20 sacks and TD's is a monster.

If he has a second 20 sack season, no way he doesn't get it... even if we don't get to the play-offs.

Totally opposite from what I've been saying before, but a 20 sack season is special, two even more-so.... & being that they snubbed him the last time, I think he'll get the majority of the votes this time.

If he has a second 20 sack season, no way he doesn't get it... even if we don't get to the play-offs.

Totally opposite from what I've been saying before, but a 20 sack season is special, two even more-so.... & being that they snubbed him the last time, I think he'll get the majority of the votes this time.

I don't think he got a vote last time and the Texans were awesome that year. 20 sacks is completely possible. He is better at home and he gets the Jags again. Sacks come in bunches.

I don't think he got a vote last time and the Texans were awesome that year. 20 sacks is completely possible. He is better at home and he gets the Jags again. Sacks come in bunches.

Well he's got 14.5 now after getting 3 today. We've got 3 games to go, Luck's good for one. Flacco two. Bortles will probably do a Brett Favre to Strahan for him and give him three.

That's 20.5

it could happen

I think he deserves the MVP. I'll even go out on a limb and say that (assuming he plays out the rest of the season at the same level he's been playing) he will actually be awarded the MVP. I think his performance for the year is that clear-cut.

I think he deserves the MVP. I'll even go out on a limb and say that (assuming he plays out the rest of the season at the same level he's been playing) he will actually be awarded the MVP. I think his performance for the year is that clear-cut.

If he harasses Luck & Flacco like he harassed Mett & Bortles... he'd get my vote. That's the only way we have a chance to win the next two weeks.

MMQB: Can J.J. Be MVP?
Peter King
Now to raise the ire of fandoms from New England to Green Bay, and then deep in the heart of Texas: Who deserves this year’s MVP?

“Whoever you pick I’m sure will be deserving,” Watt told me from Houston. “The way I look at it is, I’ll worry about what happens on the field. And I’ll let all of you worry about the MVP.”

Fair enough.

Three more sacks for Watt on Sunday. His production is insane. Since he entered the league in 2011, his 51 sacks lead the NFL. That’s pretty heady stuff for a 3-4 defensive end who plays different spots on the line and often has to fight through double-teams of 300-plus-pound linemen. He has 148 quarterback hits over that time, the most in football by far, and his 36 passes deflected or batted down are double anyone in football during that span.

For this year alone: Justin Houston and Elvis Dumervil are tied for the league lead with 16 sacks. Watt is next with 14.5. But using the numbers of the redoubtable Pro Football Focus database for quarterback hits and pressures, you can see where Watt distances himself from the pack of the leading sackers in the NFL through 13 games. The sacks are updated through 13 games, hits and pressures through 12:

Code:
Player, Team	              Sacks   Hits  Pressures Total QB disruptions
J.J. Watt, Houston	       14.5	33	35	82.5
Von Miller, Denver	        13	11	40	64.0
Justin Houston, Kansas City	16	6	41	63.0
Connor Barwin, Philadelphia	13.5	7	25	45.5
Elvis Dumervil, Baltimore	16	6	21	43.0

So do we really have to establish some sort of Greatness Quotient?

“If all positions were created equal, J.J. Watt’s the best player in football by a mile, and it isn’t close,” said Neil Hornsby, the founder of Pro Football Focus, which judges every player on every snap.

Aaron Schatz, the president of the long-running football analytics group Football Outsiders, agreed: “Watt is by far the best player as his position compared to the average of his position.”

In many ways, Watt’s season is historic. He has scored five touchdowns, the first defensive lineman to have that many since 1944. Three have come as a tight end moonlighting on offense, one of them a diving circus catch. Against Buffalo in September he hit quarterback E.J. Manuel nine times and returned a nifty interception 80 yards for a touchdown. And on and on.

[IMGwidthsize=600]http://simmqb.files.wordpress.com/2014/12/jj-watt-giants-sb.jpg[/IMG]

There’s also the dedication that, even in this era of players dedicated to greatness, seems put on. Except the scars would show after a while, and they haven’t shown on Watt yet. In training camp I asked him about how he continued to strive to be better. Watt said:
“I heard a quote that says, ‘Success isn’t owned. It’s leased. And rent is due every day.’ Every single day, someone’s coming for your job. Someone’s coming for your greatness. If you’re the greatest, someone wants to be the greatest, and so if you’re not constantly improving your game, somebody else is. And somebody wants to take your spot. So the way I attack it, every single day is like a game. Every single practice rep I treat like a game rep. I get pissed if I get blocked … Some people chase money. Some people chase fame. Some chase greatness. And that’s what I’m trying to do.”​

You want the guy to be a legit MVP candidate, don’t you?

So then the question becomes whether we can logically judge whether a defensive lineman can be as valuable to his team as a quarterback can be. In an ideal world, football would have a stat similar to “WAR” in baseball—Wins Above Replacement. In other words, if an average player would replace the star for a season, what would be the difference in the number of wins a team would have by season’s end? “We don’t have a WAR-type stat that compares players across positions,” Schatz said. “It’s too hard, given we can’t fully separate a player’s performance from his teammates’.” So then it comes down to the judgment of 50 people: Can a defensive end possibly mean as much to his team as, say, an Aaron Rodgers, who can put a touchdown on the board every time he possesses the ball? Probably not.

Then there’s the matter of Houston being a middle-of-the-pack team. The Texans are 7-6. They are seventh in the league in scoring defense, 27th in the league in yards allowed (a wide disparity). This doesn’t help Watt. MVPs most often come from the offensive side of the field, and from playoff teams. The last 17 MVPs have come from teams that won 10 or more games. No defensive player has won the award since Lawrence Taylor in 1986, and no MVP since 1973 (O.J. Simpson, who rushed for 2,003 yards that year) has played on a team that didn’t make the playoffs. It would be hard enough for a defensive player to win the award, of course. But on a mediocre team it would be doubly hard.

That’s the case particularly because we’re in the golden age of quarterbacks, and so many of them are playing so well at the position of most influence in football. “Doesn’t the MVP always have to be a quarterback simply by virtue of how the game is played [today]?” asked Schatz. Possibly, but Adrian Peterson, in his 2,096-yard season two years ago, lifted the Vikings into the playoffs with mediocrity all over the roster, and he edged Peyton Manning that year.

“That’s for people like you to decide, not me,” he said. “I can’t change any voters’ minds, and I don’t think I should try. I don’t care, actually. It doesn’t matter to me. It’s an award. If people vote for me, great. But to politic for it, no. Please vote for me? No. People who play don’t get to decide who wins, nor should they. I want to be deserving, but not because I politicked for it. My play on the field is all that should matter. Nothing else.”

Sounds like Watt.

The AP asks for one winner. (I’m on record as wishing we voted as in baseball, 1 through 10, so we could see how close the vote really is. If you have to pick one, even in a very close vote, it often doesn’t mirror the closeness of the contest.) Three weeks from the end of the season, here is my standing of the top five:

1. Aaron Rodgers, quarterback, Green Bay
  2. J.J. Watt, defensive end, Houston
  3. Tom Brady, quarterback, New England
  4. DeMarco Murray, running back, Dallas
  5. Peyton Manning, quarterback, Denver

May the best man win. It probably won’t be Watt, but I’m hoping for a contest.

i dont understand that line of thinking.

"watt is the best player per position by a mile, here's a page of all the things he's doing that are groundbreaking ... and after explaining how much he deserves the award i'm going to vote for someone else".

"watt is the best player per position by a mile, here's a page of all the things he's doing that are groundbreaking ... and after explaining how much he deserves the award i'm going to vote for someone else".

At least he showed that EVERYONE is biased. We all know it is going to a QB.

Their entire argument revolves around Most Valuable Position rather than Most Valuable Player. It's importance of the office rather than importance of the man.

Their entire argument revolves around Most Valuable Position rather than Most Valuable Player. It's importance of the office rather than importance of the man.
Which is fine: a company is better off with a good CEO than a good janitor. Just as long as everyone knows what the award is for.

I just like that no one even questions who is the best defensive player. Not even troll media members try to make that argument anymore.

Everyone should hope for Rodgers to get shut down tonight and go into a terrible slump. It's the only way JJ wins.

South Park. This is when you know you've reached the top of the world.

You laugh but they only talk about things that are popular in the now. I am however not saying this is a "I've made it" moment. That came with his $90 million dollar contract.

South Park? I'm not really looking forward to anything those guys might have planned for a caricature of JJ.

South Park? I'm not really looking forward to anything those guys might have planned for a caricature of JJ.
I watched the first four seasons of South Park back in 1997 to 2000. I remember watching the pilot episode back in August of 1997. I really haven't been into it for the past 14 years. If J.J. Watt appears on an episode I may watch it.

i would love to see a .GIF of a play like this (55 is the center) that also contained one of nelson or lacy catch and run for touchdown. one has every rule against him, 1000lbs of offensive players attempting to keep him from making an impact, and he's still doing things that eclipse every defensive player in the past 50 years. the other guy is wearing a skirt and watching as he throws in ways that hall of fame defenders would be accused of murder for such midfield atrocities. MVP?

Aaron Rogers wins it.. no doubt about it. What is so wrong with being okay with JJ taking the DMVP honors. In all honesty, if AR goes down, GB is a much different team and would be hard pressed to win games like they are now. JJ goes down, the Texans are basically the same team.. 50/50 they win. Not taking anything away from JJ, he is the best D player today, but the team in general does not get that much worse with him out as GB would if AR was out.
He is the most valuable to the team, as AR is to GB, but I would trade JJ for AR in a second if that was something that was out there. JJ will be in the top 3, and will take the DMVP, so why are people getting bent over the fact that it is what it is.. Its not like this year is the first year the MVP rules have changed... It is an offensive award, that is why only 2 D players have won the MVP in the history of the NFL..

What is so wrong with being okay with JJ taking the DMVP honors.

Well, for starters, there is no DMVP award. There is DPOY, but there is OPOY. So what is wrong with Aaron Rodgers taking home the OPOY award?

When a defensive player can have this epic a season and not be considered for the award, they need to just scrap the award. There's already a Player Of The Year award for both offense and defense, so the MVP either needs to be position neutral or be done away with. Or they need to rename it the OMVP and create a DMVP. Then we can have multiple MVP type awards for each side of the ball. Maybe they can create a ribbon system. Or maybe participation trophies.

Or just stop being fkn ridiculous.

For the record, I don't really care if Watt wins the MVP. I care that the MVP is a BS sham of an award that needs to be corrected or eliminated. Watt is just the catalyst to bring this problem to the forefront.

Well, for starters, there is no DMVP award. There is DPOY, but there is OPOY. So what is wrong with Aaron Rodgers taking home the OPOY award?

When a defensive player can have this epic a season and not be considered for the award, they need to just scrap the award. There's already a Player Of The Year award for both offense and defense, so the MVP either needs to be position neutral or be done away with. Or they need to rename it the OMVP and create a DMVP. Then we can have multiple MVP type awards for each side of the ball. Maybe they can create a ribbon system. Or maybe participation trophies.

Or just stop being fkn ridiculous.

For the record, I don't really care if Watt wins the MVP. I care that the MVP is a BS sham of an award that needs to be corrected or eliminated. Watt is just the catalyst to bring this problem to the forefront.

I get what you are saying, but it seems the outcry this season for Texans fans is because they have a player in the conversation. DPOY, MVP, Cheerleader, it really doesn't matter does it? What do we as fans get out of it.. we say but JJ was the MVP, so there.
AR is the best player this season, and yes, he is a QB, but this year, right now, AR is the MVP. No slight on JJ.
Will the NFL make changes to the award, my guess is if a defensive player can do this annually, then yes, but if we have a D player have these years every 3-4 seasons, then it will continue to be the same.
JJ does this again next season and the year after or another D player joins the party, then I think maybe the league would make a change. I am sure most people (fans) do not really care about the award.The player, team does, but fans, ehh.. how does it change anything other than being able to say he was MVP instead of DPOY?

I get what you are saying, but it seems the outcry this season for Texans fans is because they have a player in the conversation.

As I said, Watt is just the catalyst for many of us.

AR is the best player this season, and yes, he is a QB, but this year, right now, AR is the MVP.

Actually, Watt is the best player this season and no one is the MVP yet.

... how does it change anything other than being able to say he was MVP instead of DPOY?

How does it change anything for AR other than being able to say he was MVP instead of OPOY?

As I said, Watt is just the catalyst for many of us.

Actually, Watt is the best player this season and no one is the MVP yet.

How does it change anything for AR other than being able to say he was MVP instead of OPOY?

6 in one hand, 1/2 dozen in the other... Does it really matter at the end of the day eriadoc? We both are in agreement on the award being for offensive players, but as mentioned, it is because we finally have a player in the mix for it. Is it fair, ehh, it doesn't matter. You say JJ is the best, I say AR is the best. If JJ gets the MVP, I will be glad for him, if not, I won't be disappointed.
Both players are great on each side of the ball..
This debate isn't who is the better player, as they are the best two on each side of the ball, it is about the name of the award, and for me, it doesn't matter and I don't give a flip about if it is a sham or for O players..JJ is the best D player out there, and if all he gets is DPOY, I say that's a pretty good thing!! (but we already knew he is)

I get what you are saying, but it seems the outcry this season for Texans fans is because they have a player in the conversation. DPOY, MVP, Cheerleader, it really doesn't matter does it? What do we as fans get out of it.. we say but JJ was the MVP, so there.
AR is the best player this season, and yes, he is a QB, but this year, right now, AR is the MVP. No slight on JJ.
Will the NFL make changes to the award, my guess is if a defensive player can do this annually, then yes, but if we have a D player have these years every 3-4 seasons, then it will continue to be the same.
JJ does this again next season and the year after or another D player joins the party, then I think maybe the league would make a change. I am sure most people (fans) do not really care about the award.The player, team does, but fans, ehh.. how does it change anything other than being able to say he was MVP instead of DPOY?

rodgers has thrown for 3 interceptions this year. nick foles threw for 2 last year (13 games). fitzmagic just had a 6-0 game. make the goal low enough and even i can dunk the ball ... is that an accomplishment?

has watt NOT done this "annually" for the past 3 seasons? i mean damn, he had 20 sacks in 2012 while earning the nickname "swatt" to go with his league leading run stuffs, and in spite of a lesser statistical 2013 he graded significantly higher per PFF (leaving the DPOY kuechly in the dust), and is having a similarly amazing season with 3 offensive touchdowns added to the mix. how many times does he have to be the baddest man on the planet? i care about the award more intimately this season because it's "our guy" having what football fans see as a player for the ages having a season for the ages. eclipsed by a guy who's currently best at the 8ft dunk contest.

as for the hometown outcry, you're somewhat correct. though i found other years to be similarly aggravating. revis earned a nickname for his ability to remove the offense's biggest weapon. there were 2 years where teams wouldnt even throw to nnamdi's side of the field. andre was the scariest receiver in the league for consecutive seasons. a healthy urlacher carried the bears' defense. ray lewis is most of the reason the ravens had the best defense for a decade. none of which even sniffed an MVP vote. i find that unacceptable, but it's the hometown effect that reminds of those previous injustices.

a hall of fame filled with the baddest defensive players on the planet, without a single vote between them ... yet brett favre's going to win the award 3 years in a row?

Last edited:
Back