Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

JJ Watt - MVP

From a team gear standpoint, I would love if the Texans would put some version of that jacket on sale. I'd buy one.
As a mid-season, team thing, it wasn't the best idea. If they had won the SB I could see getting them made up to commemorate that accomplishment (yes, even beyond the rings) but mid/late season? Naaah...letterman jackets are handed out AFTER the season.
I just think if we would have won that game against the Patriots, then it wouldn't have mattered.

Getting stomped by the Patriots made the jackets (and Texans) look foolish.

It wasn't the jackets themselves that were the problem, but rather the mentality behind them. We're a bunch of high school players getting on the yellow bus vibe instead of being paid professionals in the most elite league in the world.

While Mettenberger sort of has a point, they were not J.J.'s idea. And while I find it weird that J.J. would still reference Mettenberger when taking selfies (best player in the game still thinking about some mediocre-at-best scrub QB?), this entire thing has that sort of "idiot kicker" feel to it between Peyton Manning and Mike Vanderjagt.

I'm doubting Watt has actually seen the interview, but he reacted Wednesday morning after Mettenberger's comments blew up on several Internet sites and on Twitter. ESPN actually has the story as one of its top headlines: "Mettenberger Refuels Selfiegate."

J.J. Watt wrote this on Twitter Wednesday morning.

A lion doesn't concern himself with the opinions of a sheep. Time to attack the day.
— JJ Watt (@JJWatt) July 8, 2015
My take: It was another failed attempt at humor by Mettenberger, who ignited another Twitter-storm earlier this offseason with a "fight to the death" comment about Mariota and competition for the starting quarterback job...
http://www.tennessean.com/story/tit.../29857747/?from=global&sessionKey=&autologin=

Weighing on your mind for a while there, ain't it Mett? Guess JJ will need to meet up with ya 3 or 4 times during a game to apologize

I guess he gives watt something to talk about with Caroline :kitten: (rumor)

caroline-wozniacki-picks-up-her-new-york-city-marathon-official-race-bib_1.jpg

I thought they had confirmed the relationship like last week or something.

tumblr_n7hi48kdcp1se7ny5o1_1280.png

tumblr_n2udnpoDn61r46t3xo1_500.png

tumblr_n1icm7d3l71r4xlmuo3_250.gif

They'll probably have the least-athletic, least-motivated, most laid-back children ever.

And blond.

From PFT comments section (yes, it's that slow)...

newmarketmaulers says:
Jul 8, 2015 8:38 AM

Watt is a tool.
========================================================
pftcancer says:
Jul 8, 2015 9:12 AM

You’ve obviously never met the guy. I have personally met J.J. Watt. I played football with J.J. Watt. (Just throwing around and a few routes)

Oh, forgot to mention. I was in Afghanistan when this all happened. While all the other players who came out to do an event were hiding in bunkers and such, J.J. Watt was out playing football with us. He even talked to his mother on the phone. She told him to be careful and stay safe. He replied with, “These guys aren’t hiding inside Mom, I’m not going to either.”

How many tools do you know that show that kind of respect and admiration to soldiers and service members? Most talk, J.J. Watt walks.

#HatersGonnaHate #LionsAndLambs

From PFT comments section (yes, it's that slow)...

newmarketmaulers says:
Jul 8, 2015 8:38 AM

Watt is a tool.
========================================================
pftcancer says:
Jul 8, 2015 9:12 AM

You’ve obviously never met the guy. I have personally met J.J. Watt. I played football with J.J. Watt. (Just throwing around and a few routes)

Oh, forgot to mention. I was in Afghanistan when this all happened. While all the other players who came out to do an event were hiding in bunkers and such, J.J. Watt was out playing football with us. He even talked to his mother on the phone. She told him to be careful and stay safe. He replied with, “These guys aren’t hiding inside Mom, I’m not going to either.”

How many tools do you know that show that kind of respect and admiration to soldiers and service members? Most talk, J.J. Watt walks.

#HatersGonnaHate #LionsAndLambs
McLain one time said on the radio that JJ Watt helped out some guy in the Fire department. Watt never asked to be interviewed for the story nor did he want anybody to know, but the guy told people because I think they were saying bad things about Watt at one point.

I think Watt does way more good things than what is actually reported. He just seems like the guy that doesn't showcase it for everyone to see.

J.J. is a high profile guy and as one of the best players in the NFL, publicity is going to always shadow him. And let's face it, he's also a pro entertainer at the end of the day and is pushing his brand, for better or for worse. I believe he's genuine in his persona, but some people are going to hate regardless of reality because there is always a segment of the population so unhappy with their own lives that they radiate that toxic attitude.

Gotta' laugh at the #LionsAndLambs!!! :heh:

I like the letterman jacket thing. I didn't like the team all that much.

Had we actually been good it would've been like the Bears making that music video. But we weren't all that so it was like the Texans wearing letterman jackets.

J.J. is a high profile guy and as one of the best players in the NFL, publicity is going to always shadow him. And let's face it, he's also a pro entertainer at the end of the day and is pushing his brand, for better or for worse. I believe he's genuine in his persona, but some people are going to hate regardless of reality because there is always a segment of the population so unhappy with their own lives that they radiate that toxic attitude.

Gotta' laugh at the #LionsAndLambs!!! :heh:
Story from one of our tailgate members at a Texans golf tourney a couple of years ago. as is often the case with golf tourneys, folks get half in the bag before they make it to the back 9. This applies to the ladies as well. Evidently, during the meet/greet afterward JJ obligingly takes photos with various ladies. Unfortunately, at least one of them starts latching on to his junk. JJ ends up having to hide behind organizers, rather than get physical with the drunk. He's been a bit leery of those events since.

A Smith machine? With what appears to be a 35er on it? Seriously? JJ could do that 100x without a bead of sweat on his forehead.

They're just having fun and messing around.

He might need a good taylor. It reminds me of Robert Newhouse and Earl Campbell who had thighs larger than their waist and had similar problems.

Well, that could be a feminine or masculine name, so not sure what you're going for there.

Back on topic, he probably should go to a tailor and have jeans custom made.

Well, that could be a feminine or masculine name, so not sure what you're going for there.

Back on topic, he probably should go to a tailor and have jeans custom made.
I guess it's just a brain warp from the old Andy Griffin Show.

Bacon-wrapped chicken? Texans' J.J. Watt eats up to 9,000 calories to fuel
Tania Ganguli, ESPN Staff Writer

His speed was right, his form was right, and J.J. Watt being J.J. Watt, he wouldn't let himself mentally quit on a workout he knew he could do.

Watt's body lagged behind his mind, though. Having trained the Houston Texans defensive end since high school, Brad Arnett noticed something was wrong during that workout back in February. Watt also noticed, he knew his body well enough to know it just didn't feel right.

"My body was grabbing for something that wasn't there," Watt said. "It was trying to fuel itself with no fuel."

What was missing? Fat. Cheat days. Tasty things.

If he ate eight chicken breasts in one meal, Arnett suggested he wrap three of them in bacon. Daily that meant adding mashed sweet potatoes, more pasta, fish, olive oil and coconut oil in his cooking and avocados.

"I started crushing avocados," Watt said.

His calorie count rose to somewhere between 6,000 and 9,000 calories per day, depending on how active he was each day. Watt opted to keep his own meal plan a secret, but it would take about 50 slices of bacon, 20 chicken breasts and 13 whole avocados to reach 9,000 calories.

Weekly that meant the glorious return of one cheat meal, something Watt thought he had to cut out, too. The cheat meal's triumphant return came in the form of brunch.

"I love brunch," Watt said. "Brunch is my favorite meal. I went there, had brunch, had a massive potato pancake omelet, which is an omelet inside a potato pancake. Then I had stuffed French toast with berries and stuff. My cheat meals aren't even that exciting. That was my cheat meal. The omelet is still pretty darn healthy. The stuffed French toast was the cheat meal, but that was delicious."

He loves barbecue, too.

Watt has struck up a friendship with local chef Ronnie Killen, owner of Killen's Barbecue, named one of America's top five barbecue joints by Food Network. When Watt eats lean, Killen sends him smoked turkey and lean cuts of brisket. Going into Killen's Barbecue isn't an option during non-cheat times because Watt has trouble resisting carrot cake, banana pudding and bread pudding.

"It's funny because you can tell when he's in serious mode and when he's kind of relaxed, which, he's hardly ever relaxed," Killen said.

Killen notes Watt doesn't like sauces much. He likes simplicity. It's part of the reason Watt says he doesn't have a chef. He tried one for a couple weeks, but preferred to cook his own meals. When Killen opens a burger place soon, he will have a No. 99 burger on the menu. A turkey burger with ground up mushroom inside it. Moist, lean and simple, just the way Watt likes it. He's never named a menu item after an athlete before.

As Watt spoke about his nutritional revelations, he sat on a table in Richmond, Virginia, minutes after practice, still in uniform. He gulped down a chocolate post-workout shake before the interview, and that was only the beginning. That day was actually a cheat day -- he'd bought Krispy Kreme donuts for the team to celebrate punter Shane Lechler's 39th birthday.

Watt isn't the only elite athlete who has to eat so much. In 2008, swimmer Michael Phelps said he ate up to 12,000 calories per day during the Olympics. Still, reaching his somewhat fluid calorie marks isn't easy for Watt.

"It's literally, if I'm not working out, I eat the whole time I'm not working out," Watt said. "It's exhausting. You have to force feed. You have to force yourself to eat food."

Since entering the NFL, Watt convinced himself that food was just fuel, that taste didn't matter and that this would perfect his diet. In his mind a very lean, low-carb diet was what his body needed to be as strong and lean as he wanted to be. He attacked it with the discipline that's helped him turn into a two-time defensive player of the year and league MVP candidate.

"Everything in you wants to eat the stuff that tastes good," Watt said. "And trust me I love good food just as much as anybody. It's just like everything else. In the early days, there's days when you don't want to go to the gym. There's days when you don't want to wake up early. There's plenty of days when I don't want to eat chicken breast and broccoli and rice, but I know what I have to do and I know the sacrifice I have to make."

Only he began to sacrifice too much. The diet led to a dip in energy levels that caused Arnett to sit down with Watt to review the importance of fat and carbohydrates.

"It's OK, you're not going to fall off the face here, your body comp's not going to jump 5 percent the next day," Arnett said. "Just making subtle changes. It made a huge, huge difference."

Within days Watt's energy returned. The fat was helping him absorb the nutrients from his other meals and turn those into much-needed fuel for grueling, self-imposed two-a-days.

There was a time when Watt thought he'd never get to eat anything tasty until he retired from football.

"It was bad," Watt said. "I'm glad it's over."​

Back