Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

JJ Watt - MVP

JJ got robbed!! Bobby Wagner MVP? Lol, Tony Dungy has continually embarrassed himself since retiring. Dude has issues.

well, at least he didn't vote for a QB. And if you think about it, when Wagner went out for five games, the Seahawks lost two or three of them. When he came back, they didn't lose again. And if the strength of the Seahawks is their defense and he's the key cog in the strength of a Super Bowl team, then I can see the logic behind his vote.

J.J. has yet to miss significant time so we don't know how much the defense would degrade in his absence. Although, we all believe it would not be pretty.

In my mind, J.J. is Player of the Year but not MVP. Those are two different things IMO. Player of the year is the guy who had an outstanding, record-setting year. That's J.J. hands down, no argument
MVP is the guy most responsible for your team's success. And success is the key word here.

I'm for clearly separating the two things into two separate awards as suggested in the article that Scooter posted.

The good news is even though JJ says awards don't matter i believe this will motivate him to be even better next season, i mean after all he does say he wants to go down in history as the best to ever play the game. 2 DPOY awards at only 25 years old is a start. Watt will win the MVP before his career is done.....believe that !

well, at least he didn't vote for a QB. And if you think about it, when Wagner went out for five games, the Seahawks lost two or three of them. When he came back, they didn't lose again. And if the strength of the Seahawks is their defense and he's the key cog in the strength of a Super Bowl team, then I can see the logic behind his vote.

J.J. has yet to miss significant time so we don't know how much the defense would degrade in his absence. Although, we all believe it would not be pretty.

In my mind, J.J. is Player of the Year but not MVP. Those are two different things IMO. Player of the year is the guy who had an outstanding, record-setting year. That's J.J. hands down, no argument
MVP is the guy most responsible for your team's success. And success is the key word here.

I'm for clearly separating the two things into two separate awards as suggested in the article that Scooter posted.

Here's the thing: Wagner has the Legion of Boom behind him, JJ Watt has Kareem Jackson, Jonathan Joseph and dogshit behind him. Giving a guy on that defense an MVP vote and it's not Earl Thomas or Richard Sherman is dumb dumb dumb.

Using that logic (Not saying its your logic) Peyton shouldve won in 2010 for not playing and the Colts being complete dogshit that year.

Dear NFL ... lol you're ****ed!

During this off-season JJ Watt had already set to going full Rambo (Rocky). He plans to seclude himself in a log cabin in the middle of nowhere Wisconsin to train, and turned an entire barn in into his gym. The most singularly focused, most singularly dedicated, and most singularly ridiculously insanely dominant defensive player to ever play the game ... just went from goal oriented to fully pissed off. Thanks Rodgers!

I need to write a letter to the Texan's management requesting a tryout at quarterback. I'll hand the ball to Foster - because that's all that will be required. We'll get the ball back in a couple minutes anyway.

If Aaron Rodgers gets the nod over JJ because his team went to playoffs, the voters are essentially saying the award goes to the guy who's team wouldn't have made the playoffs without him, making him the most valuable player in the league. In that way of thinking, with similar stats in many areas, how could voters not argue that Tony Romo was far more valuable in his team's success. When Romo was out this year the Cowboys were horrible with Brandon Weeden. But Romo led a team picked to be .500 or less to a 12-4 record and a division title. I'm not a cowboy fan in any way, but the logic that voters try to apply makes no sense at all.

Here what I don't get. Aaron Rodgers took his team to the playoffs, but we all have seen his numbers plenty of times ten fold, but how many times have we seen JJs stats? He will take this personal. I'm gonna guess playoffs, and the sack record next year. He will be mvp

I said this way, way earlier in this thread but...

I didn't want Watt to get the MVP.

I wanted him to have that little bit extra motivation.

Exactly.

He's going to build a gravity chamber in his li'l log cabin in the middle of nowhere and train at 100x gravity and power up like Goku, reaching Super SayWatt mode.

He will wreck the league.
He did that last season. He bought the land out in Wisconsin because that state has very lax regulations on hyperbolic time chambers.

when a singularity occurs and we all float off the planet because watt needed to have that 'little bit extra motivation' .... i'm blaming you.

Not that I know him personally but from his words and actions I believe had he won it he would come back just as motivated to win it again in order to prove it wasn't a fluke.

This vote makes one thing clear: it is impossible for a defensive player to get the MVP award. Watt had perhaps the best season a defensive lineman has ever had. Rodgers had a very good season, that was far from historical. Watt even contributed on offense.

And this vote imho makes another thing clear: voting for MVP is basically a vote for the best QB - even HBs are never as valuable as a QB. So either change the award to a best player of the year award or introduce that as an extra award.

I think he'll take it personal and have a chip on his shoulder though

JJ didn't look real happy for Aaron Rodgers when the announcement was made. I think opposing QBs will continue to be unhappy when facing Watt in 2015.

This vote makes one thing clear: it is impossible for a defensive player to get the MVP award. Watt had perhaps the best season a defensive lineman has ever had. Rodgers had a very good season, that was far from historical. Watt even contributed on offense.

And this vote imho makes another thing clear: voting for MVP is basically a vote for the best QB - even HBs are never as valuable as a QB. So either change the award to a best player of the year award or introduce that as an extra award.

I disagree. I think Watt generated conversation that hasn't been there in 20 years. If Mallett or whoever the Texans trot out there plays like a semblance of a real QB, the Texans get in the playoffs and Watt has another epic year the hangover of this year's snub will get him the MVP next year barring some truly record setting QB season.

Which is not to say the deck is not stacked and the snub this year wasn't BS.

This vote makes one thing clear: it is impossible for a defensive player to get the MVP award.

It's pretty much impossible. That it's happened twice before is the anomaly. Watt is now one of 5 players to win AP DPOY twice. The others? LT, Reggie White, Bruce Smith, Ray Lewis. Watt is now included in the conversation of the greatest defender of all time. And he's going into his 5th season.

After his rookie season, after he came into his own at the end of the season, starting to "take over games" I said there's no way that he'll back that up with a solid sophomore season.

After his stellar sophomore season, where he challenged the single season sack record, I said there's no way he can back that up with a season of equal, or similar play.

Some believe his third season was on par with his second, I don't agree. I think it was a good season, a really good season, better than his rookie year, but nothing like his sophomore season. But in his fourth season, he proved me wrong, for it truly was better than his 2nd.

So... staying with this tradition, I will keep up my end.

There is no way... it is not possible, for this man to play at this level for yet another season.

It's pretty much impossible. That it's happened twice before is the anomaly. Watt is now one of 5 players to win AP DPOY twice. The others? LT, Reggie White, Bruce Smith, Ray Lewis. Watt is now included in the conversation of the greatest defender of all time. And he's going into his 5th season.

I honestly believe if the Browns were able to beat the Ravens, Texans make playoffs and Watt wins MVP.

I honestly believe if the Browns were able to beat the Ravens, Texans make playoffs and Watt wins MVP.

Isn't it sad that we were relying on the Browns to make the season for us?

I think about OT against the Pokes, first quarter against the Colts, 3 minutes against the Steelers and a rookie in the 4th quarter against the Colts again.

But that has me excited about next year. The difference between good and great teams in winning those tight ones. Would like to think that the defense in the second half of the season would not have given up the points in the Colts/Steelers game. The second Indy game proved that. We just had the misfortune of losing Fitz and playing with an injured rookie.

Mere excuses. The award is NOT DEFINED in the manner so many choose to define it while only choosing QBs. In fact, it is intentionally not defined at all. The problem is with the people who make a distinction where none exists. ~Let's vote for the third rate player because I LOVE QBs.~

JJ didn't look real happy for Aaron Rodgers when the announcement was made...

1z3m1rd.png

Not that I know him personally but from his words and actions I believe had he won it he would come back just as motivated to win it again in order to prove it wasn't a fluke.

^^^^
THIS!

oh by the way... do we happen to play the Packers in 2015?
...just askin'
:D

J.J. Watt's 2014 Season Reloaded

It was a monumental season for J.J. Watt in 2014 for the Houston Texans breaking numerous records. In 2014, Watt has 78 total tackles, 20.5 sacks, 10 pass deflections, 1 interception, 4 forced fumbles and 5 total touchdowns (3 receiving, 2 defensive).

More impressive was Watt’s total defensive disruptions on the season 119 total disruptions (20.5 sacks, 44 quarterback hits, 54 quarterback hurries).

Let this impressive video take you through the dominant 2014 season that Watt put together. (H/T to @CDeLaG33 for putting it together)

(The annoying voice at the beginning stops.)

Watt joins multiple-award winners including Lawrence Taylor, who won it three times, and Joe Greene, Mike Singletary, Bruce Smith, Reggie White, and Ray Lewis, who each won it twice.

In 2014, Watt has 78 total tackles, 20.5 sacks, 10 pass deflections, 1 interception, 4 forced fumbles and 5 total touchdowns (3 receiving, 2 defensive).

More impressive was Watt’s total defensive disruptions on the season 119 total disruptions (20.5 sacks, 44 quarterback hits, 54 quarterback hurries).

-5th player in NFL history to have 50+ sacks in their first four seasons in the NFL, joined Reggie White (70), Derrick Thomas (58),DeMarcus Ware (53.5), Dwight Freeney (51). Watt currently as 51 through thirteen games.

-First defensive lineman since Chicago Bears DE Connie Mack Berry in 1944 to have at least five touchdowns in a season. Berry had six.

-First defensive linemen or linebacker since to have five touchdowns in a season since LB Bob Hoffman had five touchdowns for the Los Angeles Rams in 1948. Hoffman is the only linebacker in NFL history with five touchdowns in a season.

-First defensive player to have five touchdowns in a season since DB Ken Houston had five touchdowns (all returns) for the Houston Oilers in 1971.

-First player since Chicago Bears DB J.C. Caroline in 1956 to score multiple touchdowns on offense and defense in the same season.

-First player with at least one fumble return for touchdown, one interception return for touchdown and one receiving touchdown since St. Louis Rams DB Billy Stacy in 1961.

-First player in NFL history with five total touchdowns and at least one fumble return for touchdown, one interception return for touchdown and one receiving touchdown.

-First player in NFL history with 10 or more sacks, five fumble recoveries, three forced fumbles and at least one touchdown in NFL history. One of three players in NFL history with at least 30 tackles, five fumble recoveries, three forced fumbles and at least one touchdown (Jack Del Rio- New Orleans, 1985; Mike Johnson- Cleveland, 1992). He is the only player with two or more touchdowns.

-First player in NFL history with at least eight passes defensed, five fumble recoveries, three forced fumbles and at least one touchdown. Only player in NFL history with at least 10 sacks, five fumbles recovered, three forced fumbles and eight passes defensed.

-One of two players in NFL history with at least 30 tackles, five fumbles recovered, three forced fumbles and eight passes defense (Jared Allen- Kansas City, 2006)

-One of two players in NFL history with at least 10 sacks, five fumbles recovered, three forced fumbles and one interception (Rob Burnett- Baltimore, 2000)

- Joined Jason Taylor as the only player to record 10 sacks and 10 passes defensed in two different seasons since 1991.

-Became the first player in NFL history to record two seasons with more than 20 sacks (20.5 in 2012 and again in 2014).​

Last edited:
TITANS' METTENBERGER HAS WORDS FOR TEXANS JJ WATT

HOUSTON (KTRK) --
Remember last season when JJ Watt pretended to take a selfie after sacking Titans quarterback Zach Mettenberger? Well, in an interview posted on CampusSports.net Tuesday, the Titans quarterback talked about it, saying Watt was the one acting like he was in high school.

In the one-on-one interview, Mettenberger said he was set up by a couple of his friends and that his selfie was leaked before the Texans-Titans game.

During the game, right after Watt sacked Mettenberger, the Texans star defensive end stood over the quarterback and pretended to do the selfie pose.

"JJ had to say it's a bit high school-ish that I take selfies and I think he still rags me on Instagram every time he posts a selfie," said Mettenberger. "At the same time, if that's high school-ish, he got a letterman jacket made, a Texans letterman jacket. That's pretty high schoolish to me, don't you think?"

http://abc13.com/sports/titans-mettenberger-has-words-for-texans-jj-watt/834014/

If JJ hits 18+ this year he's MVP. The voters know they were wrong last year. Half of them wrote articles trying to justify because they knew they were wrong.

Mettenberger will have plenty of time to do more BS interviews, while he's riding the pine, and JJ is out there giving Mariota nightmares.

Maybe he can double as sideline reporter. :heh:

I wish I had one. I loved them. All they did was keep the players warm.
I thought those jackets were cool.
From a team gear standpoint, I would love if the Texans would put some version of that jacket on sale. I'd buy one.
As a mid-season, team thing, it wasn't the best idea. If they had won the SB I could see getting them made up to commemorate that accomplishment (yes, even beyond the rings) but mid/late season? Naaah...letterman jackets are handed out AFTER the season.

Back