Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

JaDeveon Clowney

Status
Not open for further replies.
Clowney is frustrated being injured and about his history of coming back too soon from injuries and the negative consequences -- e.g., re injury.

Football guys say you just play through it. Doctors, like CND, say it's too soon.

According to the Braddock interview the doctors say he is healed and ready to play. Normally I would say let him rest but his history just makes me unsure.

What players are calling him a diva?

Maybe it is Swagggggg. He is playing hurt

Jayson Braddock went on local sports radio tonight to talk about his insider reports about Clowney:

http://houston.cbslocal.com/2014/10...wney-will-not-play-because-he-doesnt-want-to/

Summarize:

Clowney says he will not play Monday
Fully cleared by medical staff
Other players calling him a diva
Clowney personally called out by Vrabel. Vrabel told him he will play Monday if he has to drag him on to the field
Vrabel also said he would suit up to take Clowney through his paces on the practice field
braddock also says that if Clowney had been taken at the same spot Louis Nix was he would have been put on IR like Nix
BOB is not liking being "dicated" to by rookies.

I warned people of this again and again and again all off season long for like 5 months.

I hope Texan fans are happy. He'll come back and have some huge games here and there, but this will be the back and forth story of his career.

It would be nice if we could trade him.

I warned people of this again and again and again all off season long for like 5 months.

I hope Texan fans are happy. He'll come back and have some huge games here and there, but this will be the back and forth story of his career.

It would be nice if we could trade him.

And that bastard picked #90. I swear that number along with 8 should be burned and never be allowed inside NRG ever.

And that bastard picked #90. I swear that number along with 8 should be burned and never be allowed inside NRG ever.

If this #90 can do what the last one to wear it long term did that's once again a pretty good draft pick...

Jayson Braddock went on local sports radio tonight to talk about his insider reports about Clowney:

http://houston.cbslocal.com/2014/10...wney-will-not-play-because-he-doesnt-want-to/

Summarize:

Clowney says he will not play Monday
Fully cleared by medical staff
Other players calling him a diva
Clowney personally called out by Vrabel. Vrabel told him he will play Monday if he has to drag him on to the field
Vrabel also said he would suit up to take Clowney through his paces on the practice field
braddock also says that if Clowney had been taken at the same spot Louis Nix was he would have been put on IR like Nix
BOB is not liking being "dicated" to by rookies.
Strange that O'Brien didn't say that the med staff cleared Clowney during the presser. And I'd sure like to hear that from Vrabel's own mouth.

And I don't think Clowney is ready. If he doesn't think he's ready he won't go all out; he'll favor that leg... He won't be who we're expecting to see. He may not be as effective as Mercilus if that injury is playing in his mind.

Speaking of basterd, Rick Smith is the basters that picked Mario after he had reports of being lazy in college and padded his stats on just 4 games, and Clowney's history was even worse and Rick Smith didn't learn a damn thing and still picked him any way.

It is going to be very hard for this franchise to ever become consistently good team until that joke of a GM we have is gone.

Speaking of basterd, Rick Smith is the basters that picked Mario after he had reports of being lazy in college and padded his stats on just 4 games, and Clowney's history was even worse and Rick Smith didn't learn a damn thing and still picked him any way.

It is going to be very hard for this franchise to ever become consistently good team until that joke of a GM we have is gone.

Casserly picked Mario

I think Kubiak had the choice so who other people backed, especially since he had a foot out the door, is pretty irrelevant.

Was it irrelevant when he suggested Owen Daniels?

Casserly was still helping with the draft. It's not like kibosh was organizing all the scouting and stuff on these guys. Of course he made those final call that's what I said. But he had help making those decisions. I don't see how that's irelkevant.

Clowney is frustrated being injured and about his history of coming back too soon from injuries and the negative consequences -- e.g., re injury.

Football guys say you just play through it. Doctors, like CND, say it's too soon.

For those who are convinced that even with his limitations he can at least play on obvious passing downs.........He will be no more effective in these special situations than he would be playing all downs. In order to avoid cutting and changing direction, he would need to be assured of a snow plow and a red carpet clearing a straight line.........not to mention a total statue of a QB who can neither take a few steps out of the pocket or even side-step. And if you think that going from a full-go set of practices to a real game is a night and day comparison, how does half-assed participation in "some" select practice drills to real game full speed and impact exposure translate to anything promising?

Cassell was the GM when Mario was picked. Whether he or Kubiak picked Mario is up for debate. I think Kubiak did.

McNair stated in the Kubiak/Smith regime, O'Brien/Smith regime, the GM has final say over draft picks. I don't understand why we insist on giving the assistant manager credit and giving the COO a pass. Smith is the brains behind the draft picks.

Was it irrelevant when he suggested Owen Daniels?

Of course not. That pick Kubiak said Casserly convinced him.

My point on Mario is we don't really know who Casserly backed. Call it relevant if you want, I don't think it mattered to the pick whether he wanted Bush or Mario. Bottom line credit good or bad on Mario goes on Kubiak IMO.

Casserly was still helping with the draft. It's not like kibosh was organizing all the scouting and stuff on these guys. Of course he made those final call that's what I said. But he had help making those decisions. I don't see how that's irelkevant.

Never said Casserly had no role in the draft. I don't think we are saying much if anything differently.

McNair stated in the Kubiak/Smith regime, O'Brien/Smith regime, the GM has final say over draft picks. I don't understand why we insist on giving the assistant manager credit and giving the COO a pass. Smith is the brains behind the draft picks.

Love to see that quote.

And we aren't talking about Smith anyway on Mario.

For those who are convinced that even with his limitations he can at least play on obvious passing downs.........He will be no more effective in these special situations than he would be playing all downs. In order to avoid cutting and changing direction, he would need to be assured of a snow plow and a red carpet clearing a straight line.........not to mention a total statue of a QB who can neither take a few steps out of the pocket or even side-step. And if you think that going from a full-go set of practices to a real game is a night and day comparison, how does half-assed participation in "some" select practice drills to real game full speed and impact exposure translate to anything promising?

SoDoc, how long would you recommend keeping Clowney out?

I'm good with keeping him out until he's fully healthy and is able to be the bad a** that he could/should be.

Love to see that quote.

And we aren't talking about Smith anyway on Mario.

It's like we have the same debate each time with the same quote:
McNair said:
“(Rick Smith) has the final say (on the draft) just as the coach has the final say on the roster but it’s in collaboration,” McNair said. “If there’s a dispute, they come to me.”

http://houston.cbslocal.com/2014/01/03/texans-owner-clarifies-who-calls-the-shots/

He said the same thing when Kubiak was here.

Of course not. That pick Kubiak said Casserly convinced him.

My point on Mario is we don't really know who Casserly backed. Call it relevant if you want, I don't think it mattered to the pick whether he wanted Bush or Mario. Bottom line credit good or bad on Mario goes on Kubiak IMO.

Never said Casserly had no role in the draft. I don't think we are saying much if anything differently.

I actually called into Dan Reeves on the NFL network on SIRIUS. When I did I asked him how it all went down and he was pretty adamant that Casserly wanted Mario. He told me that he thought it was a mistake and he would have taken Bush but that Casserly was rather forceful about it.

I remember being kind of disappointed because I really didn't like Asserly but at least he told me what happened. This is probably 4 or 5 years ago that I got to talk to him and if I get a chance I'll look to see if I still have the mp3 of it somewhere.

Mike

This was the part I was asking about.

I actually called into Dan Reeves on the NFL network on SIRIUS. When I did I asked him how it all went down and he was pretty adamant that Casserly wanted Mario. He told me that he thought it was a mistake and he would have taken Bush but that Casserly was rather forceful about it.

Reeves was hired Dec. 12, 2005 on a six week contract. He wasn't here for the draft. In any event I didn't say Casserly didn't want Mario, just that Kubiak did and made the decision.

Maybe Clowney is just embarrassed that after all the talk and all the build up that he knows he can't do half of what JJ does... :kitten::swatter:

ummm... dude, Rick Smith hadn't even been hired when Mario was picked.
Smith was hired by the Texans on 6/05/06.
the 2006 NFL draft was 4/29-20/06.

It's like we have the same debate each time with the same quote:

http://houston.cbslocal.com/2014/01/03/texans-owner-clarifies-who-calls-the-shots/

You keep ignoring the most important part of that quote

"If there's a dispute, they come to me..."

If Smith, as you say, has unquestionable control of the draft, there cannot be disputes that McNair has to cast the deciding vote on. If Smith had absolute say in the draft, he would just tell the coach to EFF off and pick who he saw fit.

Maybe Clowney is just embarrassed that after all the talk and all the build up that he knows he can't do half of what JJ does... :kitten::swatter:

I'd love half of Watt from Clowney or any other player for that matter.

"Coach (Bill O'Brien) has got my best interest, I believe," Clowney said at NRG Stadium. "He told me when I'm ready to come back and I'm feeling good to where I want to play, to let him know and that's what I'm going to do.

"Right now, it's up to me and what I can do. If I can do it, I'll do it. But if I can't, I just let the coaches know that it's bothering me and they'll take me out of that drill. It's really up to me what I can do and can't do."

O'Brien initially said Clowney was ahead of schedule, then scaled back expectations by saying the defender was "iffy" and "50-50" to play against the Steelers on "Monday Night Football." Clowney didn't practice Thursday and O'Brien said if the rookie was active versus Pittsburgh he would be limited. Friday, Clowney ran with his teammates and O'Brien was more optimistic.

"He seemed to be moving around decently," O'Brien said. "He didn't take a ton of reps (Friday) but the ones that he did, he seemed to be moving around well. It's obvious that he's been in the meetings and studying, because in the reps that he did take he knew what to do, which is a good sign."

Clowney is at the end of his six-week return timetable. If he doesn't play against Pittsburgh, an Oct. 26 contest at Tennessee is next on the calendar.

"When I first got hurt, I didn't know how long it was going to take to get back and I was upset about it," Clowney said. "(The trainers) sent me through the rehab and I bump heads with some of the trainers every day. It will make you upset, but they're helping me get to where I want to be. I see improvement on my leg and everything. I thank them, but I also get mad at them from time to time. It's coming along good."
link

To management (O'Brien) JD is a tool to win games. I think Clowney would agree with that but if he the tool breaks, he might not be used again. Reminds me of the chicken and pig arguing about who contributes most to breakfast. The chicken (team) contributes an egg. The pig (player) is breakfast.

What players are calling him a diva?
No names, his only later referenced "Number 1 pick". Said maybe a few veterans think he should come back at less than 100% "because everyone plays at less than 100% in the NFL".
According to the Braddock interview the doctors say he is healed and ready to play...
Just like Newton was in 2013. I trust our TTalk Dr., who is a pretty renowned surgeon in his own right, over Kaplan who has a pretty spotty track record. They pronounced Newton ready. He said he wasn't. They put him back out there anyway, and you saw his 2013. Now compare that to his 2014 start. Doctors usually collaborate with patients on recovery, except with some teams in the NFL, and there's a reason for that.

I warned people of this again and again and again all off season long for like 5 months. I hope Texan fans are happy...
Did you call Rick about this...??? :mcnugget:

"(The trainers) sent me through the rehab and I bump heads with some of the trainers every day... I thank them, but I also get mad at them from time to time."
As did I with my PT after my back injury. One week post injury he was trying to get me to do exactly what caused the injury. When I told him that was a movement my Orthopedic specifically said to not do, he kept pressing. And it is their job to push you. A later office visit with my Orthopedic confirmed the PT was off-base timing wise. The Dr. removed about 20% of the daily exercises from my list, as he said they directly compromised my issue.

Regardless of my crap, this was a calculated press release -- and I use that term on purpose -- to pressure Clowney to play on Monday Night Football when "the world" will be watching. I'd be surprised if it passed O'Brien's desk. I'd also be surprised if he doesn't do some digging into who inside his organization is leaking information, if this was from inside. O'Brien has always struck me as Belichickean as far keeping everything in house/no leaks/tight ship. As to who, think of who has the most to gain/lose with Clowney. :thinking:

And just for the record, Jayson Braddock was 100% on Clowney, no doubt, absolutely the first pick in the draft. I respect JB, but think he's being used as mouthpiece here -- not unusual for media.

No names, his only later referenced "Number 1 pick". Said maybe a few veterans think he should come back at less than 100% "because everyone plays at less than 100% in the NFL".

Just like Newton was in 2013. I trust our TTalk Dr., who is a pretty renowned surgeon in his own right, over Kaplan who has a pretty spotty track record. They pronounced Newton ready. He said he wasn't. They put him back out there anyway, and you saw his 2013. Now compare that to his 2014 start. Doctors usually collaborate with patients on recovery, except with some teams in the NFL, and there's a reason for that.

As did I with my PT after my back injury. One week post injury he was trying to get me to do exactly what caused the injury. When I told him that was a movement my Orthopedic specifically said to not do, he kept pressing. And it is their job to push you. A later office visit with my Orthopedic confirmed the PT was off-base timing wise. The Dr. removed about 20% of the daily exercises from my list, as he said they directly compromised my issue.

Regardless of my crap, this was a calculated press release -- and I use that term on purpose -- to pressure Clowney to play on Monday Night Football when "the world" will be watching. I'd be surprised if it passed O'Brien's desk. I'd also be surprised if he doesn't do some digging into who inside his organization is leaking information, if this was from inside. O'Brien has always struck me as Belichickean as far keeping everything in house/no leaks/tight ship. As to who, think of who has the most to gain/lose with Clowney. :thinking:

And just for the record, Jayson Braddock was 100% on Clowney, no doubt, absolutely the first pick in the draft. I respect JB, but think he's being used as mouthpiece here -- not unusual for media.

Exactly what I'm thinking.

Just like Newton was in 2013. I trust our TTalk Dr., .

does he have any additional access to the players, or is he reading the same stuff we are?

Granted I appreciate that he shares his insight with us, but he isn't examining or treating these guys. The doctors who are said he'd be out four to six weeks & five weeks later have cleared him to play.

I guarantee you Jj Watt isn't 100% seven weeks into the season. He's probably playing with something Doc wouldn't advise.... Just like Aj, Brooks, Arian, & Dj...

The doctors have fully cleared him.

I'm having issues with COMPANY DOCTORS myself right now. My daughter was injured on the job and they took her to a medical facility. But at that point, it was like she wasn't even there. They spoke only with the company reps and didn't even require them to leave while she was being examined nor would they let her call her brother who happens to be a paramedic in the area. They put her on light duty for two days and then put her right back out on the job where she was injured. The corrective actions, workplace barriers, were erected only AFTER the job was almost done and the danger wasn't mitigated.

I'm opposed to frivolous lawsuits, but sometimes legitimate lawsuits are the only way to obtain justice. It shouldn't be that way, but people are human in the worst sense of the word.

(Much more to the story, but this rabbit has gone far enough)

All this is to say that it depends on the loyalty of the doctors which pronounced him fit. Doctors are not ALL diligent in their duty to place the patients interest above all others.

does he have any additional access to the players, or is he reading the same stuff we are?

I don't know. Do you read medical journals, research studies? Are you a surgeon and qualified expert in surgical procedures and protocols, medical/hospital certification, disease medical research?

Did you read the NFL study on lateral meniscus tears that stated average length of time to return to play of 8.5 months? Or the more recent study on significant pain/knee effusion in a broader professional athlete population (soccer, baseball, etc.) that showed ~60 days to return to play?

Somebody somewhere throws out a "4-6 weeks" and the media runs with that because they don't know any better... and we run with that because we're not doctors... well CND is a doctor and he is all of the above and he brings a reality check to the situation. A situation that can cost wins, cause other injuries, and can wrongly cause a player to become the target of derision from a fanbase that has been under-informed.

I don't know. Do you read medical journals, research studies? Are you a surgeon and qualified expert in surgical procedures and protocols, medical/hospital certification, disease medical research?

Did you read the NFL study on lateral meniscus tears that stated average length of time to return to play of 8.5 months? Or the more recent study on significant pain/knee effusion in a broader professional athlete population (soccer, baseball, etc.) that showed ~60 days to return to play?

Somebody somewhere throws out a "4-6 weeks" and the media runs with that because they don't know any better... and we run with that because we're not doctors... well CND is a doctor and he is all of the above and he brings a reality check to the situation. A situation that can cost wins, cause other injuries, and can wrongly cause a player to become the target of derision from a fanbase that has been under-informed.

Like I said, I appreciate the insight he brings, but he isn't examining the players. There's no "I trust what CnD says" when the information he gives us is anecdotal (no offense intended). The guy in who's care JD is in says he is ready to go.

A man who knows how the Texans org works.

Repped

The doctors have fully cleared him.

You mean the same Dr.'s that said that Boselli /DDW were healthy or re commended that Schaub was healthy enough to have his contract extended? Or that it was a good idea to rush Netwon back etc....

I choose to trust CND's thoughts with a lot less info than the Texans team Dr.'s. The difference is CND give an unbiased opinion, even though he doesn't have the info the Texans DR.'S have.

The NFL has run rampant with DR.'s like DR. Andrews who have whored themselves out to NFL orgs. (Thanks DR. Andrews for selling out to Shanny and ruining RG3's career.)

You mean the guy that is being paid by the team? Wouldn't be a conflict of interest there or anything... :pop:
[/QUOTE]

You'd think they'd eventually lose their job if they continue to give bad advice...

You'd think they'd eventually lose their job if they continue to give bad advice...[/QUOTE]

Like SteelB said, Bosseli, DDW and others show different

Like SteelB said, Bosseli, DDW and others show different

Not really. We don't know what the doctors are saying. All we get is coach speak.[/QUOTE]

??? wtf? You were the one taking the stance that since medical staff has cleared him he must be ok and CND doesn't know what he's talking about

Not really. We don't know what the doctors are saying. All we get is coach speak.

??? wtf? You were the one taking the stance that since medical staff has cleared him he must be ok and CND doesn't know what he's talking about

Nope. Never said that. People take CnDs words as if he is saying, "I looked at JaDaveon's X-ray & I recommend another three weeks of rest." when all he ever says is, "if he actually had xxxx instead of xxxx like they said, then it could be xxxxx." or, "If they were correct in their diagnosis, so-&-so would be in full practice right now."

Would someone please post a link to the quote where the Texans medical staff said Clowney was medically cleared to play after this surgery?

My Google search turned up nothing. Maybe you guys who have Twitter accounts have more data.

This was the part I was asking about.

you will have to dig for that quote, I posted that 9 years ago. I re-googled it and was not willing to sift through 9 years of info. If you would like, feel free to sift through 8-9 years worth of information. Maybe I was not entering the correct search criteria. But the quote from A to B is virtually the same.

My question is if the H/C has as much power as some would say then why spend millions of dollars on a GM?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back