Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Horrible news for the Jets game!!

I like Cody also and I hope you're right about Deljuan. Moreso, I hope it doesn't happen after a long TD run. That's the nightmare scenario. Okoye starts because he's the golden child and we get lit up on the series because of it.

Don't any of you guys have the preseason games on DVR. I dare you to watch them focusing on Robinson and Okoye. It's remarkable the difference between the two in the run game!

Agreed

It's like Smithiak cant admit they made a mistake about Okoye. They keep starting him and he keeps getting thrown around like a rag doll.

Instead of going back to Nigeria after his rookie season he should've stayed in Houston and worked with the S&C coaches to help him gain the weight (Strength) he needed to play to play his position at the level his talent would allow.

This leads me to ask the ?

Is Okoye serious about becoming the best DT he possibly can be?

Answer: So far it would seem to be NO.

Lets hope he grows up soon and becomes a man or Smithiak will have to answer why they spent a top 10 pick on an immature 19 year old kid.

Robinson continues to wear the number 66 because it reminds him of where he came from, and helps him stay hungry. Playing hungry has gotten him to the level of play that he exhibits now.
Maybe we shouldn't mess with his hunger mojo by making him a starter. He clearly plays with a chip on his sholder. Let's not knock it off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Porky, I agree with you with a couple exceptions:

1. I don't think it sends a good message to the team to not start the best player at his position. He should be announced among the starters... He has earned that right.

2. My fear is that the active action of removing Deljuan from starting NT to backup DT on the depth chart is an indication that the coaching staff's opinion of him deteriorating or indication that he is less central to this week's gameplan.

Not one of those DTs has consistently shown that he deserves to be THE starter. But ya gotta list somebody. Like almost everyone else has said, all of those buffaloes will probably get equal snaps due to the rotation. Let's face it, we simply do not have a young Warren Sapp on our D-line. At least no one has consistently shown himself to be that kind of stud.

Let's see if Robinson makes the most of the snaps he's gets i.e., makes enough plays so that the coaching staff officially demotes Okoye. That's the challenge for DelJuan.

its all good, dalemurphy

sometimes the stuff this franchise/regime does puzzles me too. hopefully our defense shows some sack and plays like they has some heart.

i understand your frustration but just realize that its a new season. everyone knows that if things dont go well, there will be big changes perhaps even at Head Coach but lets hope for the best and have a winning season..for once.

Wait a minute. You are the same guy who so arrogantly jumped down my throat for not buying in to Okam just like two weeks ago in here because I wasn't excited about one pre season game of his. Now you're here to bash the guy after jumping down my throat for saying that I wasn't buying in?

Oh the irony. :brando:

Wow! do you really believe that? I said that dampening the board's enthusiasm about a player's performance during preseason by saying "it's only preseason" isn't offering much. We all know it's only preseason. I didn't happen to be too excited about him either but assume everyone already is aware of the fact that the games in August are different than the ones coming up.

Robinson continues to wear the number 66 because it reminds him of where he came from, and helps him stay hungry. Playing hungry has gotten him to the level of play that he exhibits now.
Maybe we shouldn't mess with his hunger mojo by making him a starter. He clearly plays with a chip on his sholder. Let's not knock it off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OMG!
Logic!?
What's that doing on a msg bd???

Somebody ban this dude before he makes us all sane!
:D

The NFL is better. Stronger, faster, smarter (maybe not, VY is in it, but I digress), Cody's sheer bulk wont scare teams. Cody wins because he is massive, and can move ok for someone that large. However, players in the NFL will run him ragged, and after the 1st quarter he wont have any impact.

Seriously rmartin65, seriously??????I think his reputation on conditioning or lack there of is way overblown but what you are suggeting is just ridiculous. Obviously the pro scouts think his conditioning isnt as big a problem as you considering he was widely considered the top DT in last years draft had he come out. Sean Gilbert and Tony Saragoosa were others that had conditioning issues but because of their size and abilities dominated. Cody's abilities are on the same level if not better than either of those two at this stage.

Why are y'all raving about your nuts? Sorry...had shoulder surgery today and still woozy.

I don't know about that... Okoye was pretty remarkable against the Saints! It was one of the most astonishingly bad performances I've ever seen from a DT.

And, Robinson played very well all preseason. Unfortunately, he didn't play but a couple first team snaps after the KC game... which he played very well in!

Against NO, Deljuan played OK (he only played in the second half against non-first teamers) but was never close enough to make any play, the other guys around him did.

Watch the Saints' TD toward the end of the game.
He was blown back on consecutive plays into the end zone.
There goes the NT you like!

I wanted to say Okoye has a slightly better game against the Vikings first team than Deljuan against the non-firsteamers, but I haven't got time to re-re-re-watch it!

Seriously rmartin65, seriously??????I think his reputation on conditioning or lack there of is way overblown but what you are suggeting is just ridiculous. Obviously the pro scouts think his conditioning isnt as big a problem as you considering he was widely considered the top DT in last years draft had he come out. Sean Gilbert and Tony Saragoosa were others that had conditioning issues but because of their size and abilities dominated. Cody's abilities are on the same level if not better than either of those two at this stage.

Conditioning, in pro sports, can never be overblown. People who are gassed are not as sharp physically (obviously) or mentally. There is a reason coaches place so much emphasis on conditioning, it can seriously win games.

He was highly rated, so what. Lots of people are highly rated that dont pan out.

I dont see Cody as a beast. He will be a good run stuffer, no doubt. But he will not be a difference maker through the whole game.

Conditioning, in pro sports, can never be overblown. People who are gassed are not as sharp physically (obviously) or mentally. There is a reason coaches place so much emphasis on conditioning, it can seriously win games.

He was highly rated, so what. Lots of people are highly rated that dont pan out.

I dont see Cody as a beast. He will be a good run stuffer, no doubt. But he will not be a difference maker through the whole game.

Martin, you have to remember that

(1) More than half (if not most) of the NT/big DT in the NFL only play about 40 snaps a game.

(2) Bama's open field (and other colleges') and the hot weather in the early part of the season do not allow coaches to play these guys as much as they'd like.

Robinson and Bulman will be our "x factor" this year.

I saw those guys play last year, and they are hungry.

Not as hungry as TJ, obviously, but still....

to go the the title, the horrible news for us is Leon Washington a guy quicker and with more top end speed than our guy SS. if we give him a cutback it will be huge. our DT's cant be pushed around or its over

Martin, you have to remember that

(1) More than half (if not most) of the NT/big DT in the NFL only play about 40 snaps a game.

(2) Bama's open field (and other colleges') and the hot weather in the early part of the season do not allow coaches to play these guys as much as they'd like.

Those are both valid points. Do they really play only that much? Huh, if that is the case, interesting. I still dont like Cody. He does well because he is massive, and college kids cant handle it. Pro Olines are bigger (not Cody's size, but most are over 300) and will not be man-handled the way college lines are.

I am not saying I would not take Cody in the 2nd, because I would. He will be an above average run stopper, and that is a need. I just think that this draft class is deep enough that if the top tier DT's are not available the Texans could target another position with a player who will play all 3 downs, or even most of the game, not just 40 plays.

Robinson is a good player, but he's not exactly a pro bowler.

Yeah, but neither are the other guys. Okoye hasn't done anything since game 6 of his rookie year. They are trying to justify a top 10 pick, to the detriment of the team. I'm not a fan of this decision.

Can someone change the thread title to "mildly disappointing news for the Jets game!!" so that we quit giving people heart attacks early in the morning?

Wow, 6 pages about Okoye and Cody starting. Personally I want to see what a player does when the regular season starts. Pre-season is just to find out who makes the team. The adjustments durring the season will tell how a player is really doing.

QUick note. We have 2 first round draft picks on our starting offense. AJ and Duane Brown. We have 5 first round picks starting on defense, plus the #33 overall pick DeMeco Ryans. We better get some dang results.

Those are both valid points. Do they really play only that much? Huh, if that is the case, interesting. I still dont like Cody. He does well because he is massive, and college kids cant handle it. Pro Olines are bigger (not Cody's size, but most are over 300) and will not be man-handled the way college lines are.

I am not saying I would not take Cody in the 2nd, because I would. He will be an above average run stopper, and that is a need. I just think that this draft class is deep enough that if the top tier DT's are not available the Texans could target another position with a player who will play all 3 downs, or even most of the game, not just 40 plays.

If things go the way most think then we should be drafting in the 20's. (Fingers crossed) Its highly unlikely any of the top DT's last that long unless they have some type of flaw in their game. Of course if we were lucky enough to get a dominating Run stopper like Cody at that point I wouldnt be unhappy.

This whole scenerio reminds me of the year we took Okoye. I wanted Willis BADLY but I wasnt unhappy with the Okoye pick. I am big beleiver in taking BPA. To me BPA usually starts in the trenches. In the last draft I would of taken Oher over Cushing but once again I wasnt unhappy with the pick. Alot just depends on whos available and who can help the team the most.

We have 2 first round draft picks on our starting offense. AJ and Duane Brown. We have 5 first round picks starting on defense, plus the #33 overall pick DeMeco Ryans. We better get some dang results.

I couldn't agree more. I want to see the defense kick some ass this year.

what fun would that be?

You mean you are actually PROUD of this thread and the way your Mario-is-dead title is suckering in viewers? While those same viewers are getting to see you all lathered up because of an unofficial depth chart on an internet site?? Over how our cruddy DTs are listed on that internet chart??? When you, me and everyone else who cares already knows that we're going to be rotating those cruddy DTs anyway????

If this was a thread I started and posted in over two dozen times, I'd be hoping that it slides quickly into the memory hole ASAP. As it is, this thread reminds me of the scene in Airplane when the passengers are lining up to beat the tar out of the woman having a panic attack.

If things go the way most think then we should be drafting in the 20's. (Fingers crossed) Its highly unlikely any of the top DT's last that long unless they have some type of flaw in their game. Of course if we were lucky enough to get a dominating Run stopper like Cody at that point I wouldnt be unhappy.

We should be picking in the 20's, that is correct. However, all the good DT's wont be gone. There are tons of good DT's in the draft, it is obscene. Suh, MCoy, Jones, Austin, Oghobaase, Marsh, and Odrick all have 1st round talent. Add in the safeties, this is a strong draft class. One of those guys will fall.

Here are some examples:

Yours truly TJ averaged about 27-28 snaps a game last year.

Jags: Henderson averaged just over 40 the last 2 years.
Mier, who is smaller, averaged less than 40.

Vince Wilford (Pats) had about 36 snaps last yr.

Packers:
Johnny Jolly slightly more than 44.
His counterpart Pickett, around 36 snaps.

A good proportion of O-linemen in the SEC are of good size (more D-linemen are undersized as compared to the NFL).

OK, so the last game against VTech, Cody was faced with a small Center Beau Warren. But one of the G who was in on the double team was Sergio Render (319 lbs) and an NFL prospect himself.

This whole scenerio reminds me of the year we took Okoye. I wanted Willis BADLY but I wasnt unhappy with the Okoye pick. I am big beleiver in taking BPA. To me BPA usually starts in the trenches. In the last draft I would of taken Oher over Cushing but once again I wasnt unhappy with the pick. Alot just depends on whos available and who can help the team the most.
I agree. We still have a few unsettling positions, not just one.
We may very well go with a safety or a CB in the first round.

Here are some examples:

Yours truly TJ averaged about 27-28 snaps a game last year.

Jags: Henderson averaged just over 40 the last 2 years.
Mier, who is smaller, averaged less than 40.

Vince Wilford (Pats) had about 36 snaps last yr.

Packers:
Johnny Jolly slightly more than 44.
His counterpart Pickett, around 36 snaps.

A good proportion of O-linemen in the SEC are of good size (more D-linemen are undersized as compared to the NFL).

OK, so the last game against VTech, Cody was faced with a small Center Beau Warren. But one of the G who was in on the double team was Sergio Render (319 lbs) and an NFL prospect himself.

Wow, I had no idea. Thanks for the knowledge, man. I will adjust my rankings accordingly for the nosetackles.

I am still not a fan of Cody though, and what you said about the VT game is why. Against NFL caliber players, he looks average.

We should be picking in the 20's, that is correct. However, all the good DT's wont be gone. There are tons of good DT's in the draft, it is obscene. Suh, MCoy, Jones, Austin, Oghobaase, Marsh, and Odrick all have 1st round talent. Add in the safeties, this is a strong draft class. One of those guys will fall.

Every year at this time people want to proclaim the upcoming draft deap at certain positions. Problem is a couple of the guys you mentioned wont come out and a couple wont live up to the hype and one or more will get hurt or for what ever reason just wont be available. Come back to me in April and tell me this is a deep draft at DT and well talk.

It is very rare for a first round talented DT to last past the teens. They are so hard to find and in such high demand that teams snatch them up early. If there is a DT with a first round grade available in the 20's he will be sporting a flaw that most teams cant overlook. It almost never happens.

Wow, 6 pages about Okoye and Cody starting. Personally I want to see what a player does when the regular season starts. Pre-season is just to find out who makes the team. The adjustments durring the season will tell how a player is really doing.

QUick note. We have 2 first round draft picks on our starting offense. AJ and Duane Brown. We have 5 first round picks starting on defense, plus the #33 overall pick DeMeco Ryans. We better get some dang results.
Aw, you will say the same thing next year when we draft a DT first.

Every year at this time people want to proclaim the upcoming draft deap at certain positions. Problem is a couple of the guys you mentioned wont come out and a couple wont live up to the hype and one or more will get hurt or for what ever reason just wont be available. Come back to me in April and tell me this is a deep draft at DT and well talk.

It is very rare for a first round talented DT to last past the teens. They are so hard to find and in such high demand that teams snatch them up early. If there is a DT with a first round grade available in the 20's he will be sporting a flaw that most teams cant overlook. It almost never happens.

3 of those players are underclassmen, and I am sure that one of them (McCoy) is coming out next year.

This class is deep at DT, it is not just my opinion. Ask anyone.

Most classes dont have this many talented DT's. So yea, it is rare, but not impossible.

Deljuan had 3 tackles this preseason. I think a 7 page thread is a little bit of overreacting.

Okoye had 1 and played more snaps....yer point?

sssssssssssssss

burned you!

did you guys see this?
vlcsnap-2009-09-10-08h59m48s24.png

might explain why our defense suddenly got better after the first snap.

Well, i don't actually rave about mine, but they have served me well historically.
Unfortunately, mine have served me, well, hysterically. LOL. I love pain medication. As far as this thread goes, I'm sticking with the 3 year rule on drafts and giving Okoye 1 more year to show us what he has. I disagree with starting him, though. He's not better than Robinson and I feel that the best players should start, regardless of draft position, etc.

The newly updated depth chart has Deljuan Robinson as the backup behind Okoye and has Cody starting at NT with Okam as his backup.

Against all reason and beyond comprehension, Deljuan Robinson has lost his battle to start at DT. Not only will our best run stuffing DT be watching Okoye and Cody from the bench against a run-dominate team, but I'm having a hard time resolving how this decision doesn't prove that our coaching staff doesn't know what it's looking at!

Kubiak clearly has no understanding of interior line play:
1. he thinks Casey Studdard should be starting
2. Deljuan sits on the bench in favor of guys like Okoye, Okam, Cody.

someone talk me off the cliff please!

Deljuan will get a lot of playing time and I expect to see big Frank in there a lot too.

I'm not so sure Okoye has had more snaps. Seems like I've seen Robinson in every quarter of every game (not every drive to be sure).

I think it more plays to the that are all equally average->bad.
I didn't count snaps but I paid close attention to the rotations and I'm positive Okoye had more snaps than Robinson although I'm open to being wrong on this one ;), but he always has played more than Robinson for some reason although Robinson always outplays him.
thetexansUpdated injury report (Walter and Wilson still not practicing): http://www.houstontexans.co...
also, since this is the horrible news thread....per twitter (the texans official twitter page), Walter and Wilson are still not practicing.

Back