Horrible news for the Jets game!!

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by dalemurphy, Sep 9, 2009.

1. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

The newly updated depth chart has Deljuan Robinson as the backup behind Okoye and has Cody starting at NT with Okam as his backup.

Against all reason and beyond comprehension, Deljuan Robinson has lost his battle to start at DT. Not only will our best run stuffing DT be watching Okoye and Cody from the bench against a run-dominate team, but I'm having a hard time resolving how this decision doesn't prove that our coaching staff doesn't know what it's looking at!

Kubiak clearly has no understanding of interior line play:
    1. he thinks Casey Studdard should be starting
    2. Deljuan sits on the bench in favor of guys like Okoye, Okam, Cody.

someone talk me off the cliff please!

2. swtbound07

swtbound07 Jackass of Day!

Robinson is a good player, but he's not exactly a pro bowler.

3. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

Since we have more line coaches than any other team in the NFL, you think Kubiak is the guy making these decisions? I understand that he's the guy on the hook when things don't work out, but I'm willing to bet Alex Gibbs had a great deal of say in where the OL guys are positioned, and I'd be willing to bet Kollar has a great deal of say in where the DL guys are. I don't know if that's good or bad, but I get the feeling that's the case.

Also, where did you hear that Kubiak thinks Studdard should be starting? Pitts is clearly the guy at that position. Unless you're referring to some motivational coachspeak I missed.

4. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

Titles like this should be banned

5. Malloy

Malloy Site Contributor

JUMP! :)

Hm... Ill wait until after the game to pass judgement on his ability to get the best possible players on the field.

6. brakos82

brakos82 Hall of Fame

The Seawall works better.

7. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

Granted, but it is Kubiak's opinion I hear when he raves about Studdard and he says that Robinson is in a battle with Okam. Give me a freakin' break on both counts! Besides, as a head coach, you don't allow your assistants to make assinine decisions that have a negative affect on the team. You would have to be a football novice not to realize that Studdard is a below par backup guard and that Robinson should be playing most of the game against a run dominate team.

8. MojoMan

MojoMan Hall of Fame

Perhaps I am being too optimistic about this, but I keep expecting Frank Okam to step up and take over the NT job as the starter once and for all. On paper, he is exactly what you want at that position. Well, he will get to play a lot on Sunday, so maybe we will see that happen over the next few weeks. But of course, Okam will have to earn it.

9. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

Exactly, can we please have a good player starting on the interior DLine? I actually like Cody as a guy in rotation but he clearly isn't the NT that Robinson is.

10. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

Just because Robinson isn't from Texas doesn't make him less qualified. The guy is strong and his weight, which is very functional, is over 320 lbs now. And, he doesn't take plays off, he doesn't get washed by linemen, and he's usually in the backfield in the vacinity of the POA.

11. Goldensilence

Goldensilence hipster elite

Cody might be the starter, but then again I am pretty sure we'll see a lot of rotating with the DL this year.

No reason to jump off the proverbial cliff.

12. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

if this is enough to send you off the cliff, I quesiton your fanhood, because as Texans fans, we've endured way, way, way, etc, way worse

13. Joe Texan

Joe Texan Inducted 04

Shut up with the horible news flash Get off the couch and get to the game

14. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

That should be the position coach and the DC making that decision with Kubiak basically signing off on it. That should not be Kubiak's decision.

15. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

Okay, I'm going to chill out. I just saw that the depth chart is "unofficial". So, I'm going to attempt to operate under the assumption that the coaching staff does know what it is doing and that Robinson will get the majority of snaps at one of the two DT positions against the Jets... He can sit against Arizona, but he'd better be playing a lot these first 2 weeks.

16. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

Good grief! All our DT's are average and interchangeable. Not one of them has taken advantage of the preseason to better their position. Plus, who cares who starts? They're all going to be rotating throughout the game anyway. Geez

MojoMan likes this.
  17. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

Robinson is clearly our best, most disruptive interior lineman and why this change has been made I do not know. I'm not worried about it though because he'll get his snaps in there and the guy who can play will look better than the guy who still gets a pass because he hasn't started shaving yet.

That the Texans are putting Robinson behind Okoye on the depth chart should not come as a surprise to us. Your draft slot and your paycheck (earned or not) have always determined who was a starter here. I want to see how long Okoye can keep Robinson on the bench behind him. I'm thinking it won't be long.

18. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

Umm, I'm in Austin. I will wake up at 4:30 am after working until midnight. I'll pack up the car, pickup Barrett, drive to Houston and arrive at the stadium at 8:00 am. We'll tailgate and talk football for 3 hours. I will walk into the stadium and to my seats at least 30 minutes before kickoff. I will remain in, or near my seats throughout the game and cheer vigorously enough to get a couple funny looks and probably a shoulder tap or two. Then, I'll head back to Austin and arrive around 8pm.

I've been making that trip since 2002. Is that good enough for you?

19. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

yep. Sad, but true.

I think you're right. To be honest, I look forward to the day when I pop into the forum and see the trade thread and where Okoye gets sent. I'm just not impressed with the guy, never have been, and think the pick was stupid for a team that does not have the depth to use the time and space for project players from the first round.

20. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

Sounds like somebody just got offered a big steaming hot cup of STFU.

In a nice way of course.

Double Barrel likes this.