Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Hopkins traded to Cardinals?

my list of current #Texans that could have their future altered by the end of the 2020 NFL Draft. https://t.co/dstqMSzjzP
— patrick (@PatDStat) April 21, 2020
Texans' With the Most to Lose

Safety, Tashaun Gipson, Sr.

This is two-fold due to the addition of defensive back Eric Murray and the Texans continued outlook to land a safety coming out of this upcoming draft. Injuries mounted for Gipson in his first year with the Texans and it was an overall disappointment. Gipson signed three-year $22.5 million deal to come to Houston in 2019, the Texans could move on from him in 2020 can save ~$2.4375 in cap space if they move on from the 29-year old safety.

Murray forces a possible change at safety and the addition of Jaylen Watkins gives the team two more versatile options to pair with Justin Reid as their top three safeties. If the Texans add another safety in the draft, A.J. Moore will remain due to being one of their top special team's players, it could spell doom for Gipson.

Inside Linebacker, Benardrick McKinney

Let us get this out of the way, Benardrick McKinney will be on the roster in 2020 with the team paying $5 million of his guaranteed contract for the season. With that said, the Texans could be looking for their inside linebacker of the future to team next to Zach Cunningham in this draft. With McKinney with little dead money in his contract in 2021, it would be easier to move on from him or trade him if necessary. This could be the draft the Texans find another inside linebacker for the future.

McKinney is the brains of the operation for the Texans defense and the team will not turn over the defense to another inside linebacker until they have one in place.

Defensive Lineman, Carlos Watkins

Entering his fourth season, Carlos Watkins has always been on the outside looking in with the defensive line rotation. The Texans have opted to go with other players and Watkins only time to step on the field has been due to injuries in front of him.

The Texans are hunting defensive line depth and the addition of Timmy Jernigan, Jr. is turning it into a numbers game heading into the season. Another addition via the draft could change Watkins' status heading into next season.

Offensive lineman, Senio Kelemete

The Texans added offensive lineman Brent Qvale in free agency. Qvale with Greg Mancz gives them two players who can help in multiple spots on the offensive line. Kelemete started last season before injuring his hand and landing on the injured reserve after week two.

Finding depth in the offensive line will be key, outside of starting right guard Zach Fulton, the offensive line is young and intact. The Texans looking for their guard of the future is on the table. With that, Kelemete could be key depth needed for another team when it comes time closer to the season.

The Texans could free up around ~$2 million in cap space if they move on from Kelemete in 2020.

Wide Receivers, Keke Coutee and DeAndre Carter

There is little reason to close the books on Keke Coutee or DeAndre Carter but the total remake of the wide receiver group and the arrival of Randall Cobb changes things for the inside position.

Both Coutee and Carter are similar players in the fact they can play inside and return kicks and punts. At the end of last season, Carter was ahead of Coutee in the pecking order. Cobb pushes both Carter and Coutee down the depth chart and in direct competition with each other.

If the Texans add another receiver in the draft, that would stack the numbers against the two and put them on the outside looking in. In the past, the Texans have kept five to six wide receivers on the roster at all times.

That means Will Fuller V, Kenny Stills, Brandin Cooks and Cobb have the first four spots locked up. A rookie draft pick or even an undrafted free agent comes in an impresses the coaches enough, one of the two or possibly both could be in danger of not making the roster.

Tight End, Jordan Thomas

The Texans brought back Darren Fells, and Jordan Akins is coming into his own as a reliable pass catching tight end. The Texans do not appear to be ready to give up on second-year player Kahale Warring, which leaves Thomas.

There is a good chance the Texans do not bring in a tight end via the draft but with a numbers game at other position groups, roster spots will soon turn into a premium.

The Texans have shown the ability to keep up to four tight ends on the roster like they did early last season but every season is different. Thomas is going to have to have a strong training camp to prove he is one of the top tight ends on the roster.

Easiest forced trade in NFL history. No lengthy and costly holdout. No frustrating negotiations. No public bickering about wanting out of Houston. Hopkins didn’t even have to send out a cryptic tweet.

Hopkins has broke the cheat code.

No doubt, might do away with contracts altogether.

Coach: “You just let me know when you want a raise and I’ll find a club that can pay you right.”

Wink wink

Last edited:
I finally finished the full article. I still respect Nuk a ton and wish he was still in Houston. But, he wanted out and I respect his desires. Doesn't change the fact that the GM MUST get proper value in the deal. This is why the GM/HC combo rarely ever succeeds. As the owner, I'd investigate why one of my best players & team leaders felt he had no relationship with the HC for the past 6 years. That is troubling to hear.

I finally finished the full article. I still respect Nuk a ton and wish he was still in Houston. But, he wanted out and I respect his desires. Doesn't change the fact that the GM MUST get proper value in the deal. This is why the GM/HC combo rarely ever succeeds. As the owner, I'd investigate why one of my best players & team leaders felt he had no relationship with the HC for the past 6 years. That is troubling to hear.

Their relationship only became a problem when Nuk's guaranteed $$$$ ran out.

Coincidence? I think not.

Easiest forced trade in NFL history. No lengthy and costly holdout. No frustrating negotiations. No public bickering about wanting out of Houston. Hopkins didn’t even have to send out a cryptic tweet.

Hopkins has broke the cheat code.
It's a testament to the fact that Hopkins understood his adversary and played into his weakness perfectly. If I wasn't a Texans fan I'd applaud Hop for his smarts, as it is, I'm left to lament O'Brien's boneheadedness. Again.

As the owner, I'd investigate why one of my best players & team leaders felt he had no relationship with the HC for the past 6 years. That is troubling to hear.
That’s assuming Cal gives departing players the time of day. If hard knocks taught us anything, it’s that O’Brien summons said player, tells him he’s being traded, cut, or what have you, ex player packs their crap and leaves. Didn’t really see anything as far as exit interviews go.

At NOV if a manager hits a certain turnover threshold he is let go. True accountability.

It’s funny b/c you guys who are talking about “he had no leverage, don’t trade him, just make him play out the contract he agreed to” or “get proper compensation” were singing a different tune back In 2017. We tried to strong arm Brown that way. We tried to call Brown’s bluff...... and we all watched as our best offensive lineman stuck to HIS guns, forfeited all kinds of loot and sat out 7 games because he wanted what he wanted....a new contract. Some argued THEN that we didn’t get back proper compensation for him either. Different guy at the helm then too so no blaming BoB for that one...Rick was still in the building. Nevertheless, every contentious negotiation since, youve seen the FO Jettison these guys before their situations bleed over into the season........like DB’s did.

I say all that to say, it really hasn’t/doesn’t matter who handles the negotiations in situations like these. Seasoned vet GM or not, When you have disgruntled players, you’re almost never gonna get “proper” compensation. If these guys have the conviction to forego game checks or do outlandish **** (ala Antonio Brown and Brandon Marshall) to get what they want, you can’t “make” these guys do anything and you’re almost certainly not going to get the level of compensation everyone thinks you should get.

THAT is the cheat code that more and more players in the NFL have started to utilize in the league. All these pro athletes hang together & more than a few have took notice to how NBA players have sort of turned the tables on ownership and HC’s and for me It’s not at all a coincidence that LBJ was brought up by Nuk in that SI article. Guys look to him as the model for how Uber talented guys can strong arm FO’s and owners into doing what you want them to dofor you.

It's a testament to the fact that Hopkins understood his adversary and played into his weakness perfectly. If I wasn't a Texans fan I'd applaud Hop for his smarts, as it is, I'm left to lament O'Brien's boneheadedness. Again.

Nuk was implementing The Art of War and OBrien was implementing 7th grade Arts and crafts and couldn’t even color inside the lines. Lol.

It’s funny b/c you guys who are talking about “he had no leverage, don’t trade him, just make him play out the contract he agreed to” or “get proper compensation” were singing a different tune back In 2017. We tried to strong arm Brown that way. We tried to call Brown’s bluff...... and we all watched as our best offensive lineman stuck to HIS guns, forfeited all kinds of loot and sat out 7 games because he wanted what he wanted....a new contract. Some argued THEN that we didn’t get back proper compensation for him either. Different guy at the helm then too so no blaming BoB for that one...Rick was still in the building. Nevertheless, every contentious negotiation since, youve seen the FO Jettison these guys before their situations bleed over into the season........like DB’s did.

I say all that to say, it really hasn’t/doesn’t matter who handles the negotiations in situations like these. Seasoned vet GM or not, When you have disgruntled players, you’re almost never gonna get “proper” compensation. If these guys have the conviction to forego game checks or do outlandish **** (ala Antonio Brown and Brandon Marshall) to get what they want, you can’t “make” these guys do anything and you’re almost certainly not going to get the level of compensation everyone thinks you should get.

THAT is the cheat code that more and more players in the NFL have started to utilize in the league. All these pro athletes hang together & more than a few have took notice to how NBA players have sort of turned the tables on ownership and HC’s and for me It’s not at all a coincidence that LBJ was brought up by Nuk in that SI article. Guys look to him as the model for how Uber talented guys can strong arm FO’s and owners into doing what you want them to dofor you.

You don't mention all of the other players have tried these methods and had it blown up in their faces. You claim these guys are learning to be like Lebron shame, but Lebron calls this league a slave owner's league so apparently not. He claims that the players are treated like slaves. Weird that you would use a guy as an example that believes that NFL owners get away with treating their staff members like 1850 slaves to suggest that these players are somehow turning the tables around.

Personally, I had no qualms w/ the Duane Brown situation. Both sides played strong, and in the end, I think the Texans got good value for Duane.

You don't mention all of the other players have tried these methods and had it blown up in their faces. You claim these guys are learning to be like Lebron shame, but Lebron calls this league a slave owner's league so apparently not. He claims that the players are treated like slaves. Weird that you would use a guy as an example that believes that NFL owners get away with treating their staff members like 1850 slaves to suggest that these players are somehow turning the tables around.

umm not sure what you’re trying to say here. But LBJ saying that lines up with what I’m saying and why these guys look at him as the poster child for how to handle those “slave” owners by basically making them bend to their will or pitch a fit until you are either given what u want or are sent elsewhere. And only the Uber talented and really really good can get away with doing that. Doesn’t work for the Carlos Hyde’s of the world a guy who spurned the Texans offer and is currently unemployed.
That’s basically what LBJ did at both of his stops in Cleveland and Miami.

And I’m not privy to the guys who have had it blow up in their faces as of late. Enlighten me.

umm not sure what you’re trying to say here. But LBJ saying that lines up with what I’m saying and why these guys look at him as the poster child for how to handle those “slave” owners by basically making them bend to their will or pitch a fit until you are either given what u want or are sent elsewhere. And only the Uber talented and really really good can get away with doing that. Doesn’t work for the Carlos Hyde’s of the world a guy who spurned the Texans offer and is currently unemployed.
That’s basically what LBJ did at both of his stops in Cleveland and Miami.

And I’m not privy to the guys who have had it blow up in their faces as of late. Enlighten me.

Melvin Gordon, Eric Reid, and Beckum as of recent

Personally, I had no qualms w/ the Duane Brown situation. Both sides played strong, and in the end, I think the Texans got good value for Duane.

lol, they basically got the same thing for him that they got for Nuk. Actually if you’re being real, they got worse. Lane didn’t play a single game for us and the 5th round pick was who Peter Kalambayi?

Melvin Gordon

Did it blow up in his face? You could argue he somewhat got what he wanted...certainly not the contract that You would think he would’ve wanted money wise but word is he had a contract offer with better numbers from another team but he turned it down to stay in division.

Did it blow up in his face? You could argue he somewhat got what he wanted...certainly not the contract that You would think he would’ve wanted money wise but word is he had a contract offer with better numbers from another team but he turned it down to stay in division.

He got nothing for holding but lost money and wasted time

Yeah, he still got paid the next year, but lost that yr's salary which would have been like 15M. He also didn't do anything on the Jets and are likely to cut him this off season or after this year. His contract and situation will be one that GM's look at down the line and realize that most RB's won't be worth it.

lol, they basically got the same thing for him that they got for Nuk. Actually if you’re being real, they got worse. Lane didn’t play a single game for us and the 5th round pick was who Peter Kalambayi?

• I love Duane, but he's not as good at his position as Nuk is to his. Nuk is arguably the best WR in the game
  • Duane was 31 at the time, Nuk is 27
  • Duane had 1.5 years left on his contract, Nuk had 3
  • Duane actually held out of games, Nuk didn't even holdout (to force the Texans hand)
So the fact that they basically got the same thing, shows that the DB trade was better value. Also, Texans got a 2nd & 3rd... they didn't get Lane.

Right. **** happens, players get traded. But you've got to get proper value. Other than the Hyde trade, OB has drawn the short stick on every trade he's made. You can't maintain a competitive football team like that.

Except for the fact it took them 3 years to replace him, and let it get to a point they had to pay a hefty price, that they're not done paying, when they finally did.

I don't mean it in a negative way at all, but Hopkins has played this whole situation perfectly

1) Handle your core business i.e. be excellent your job
2) communicate business through agents
3) communicate negative stuff through media especially controversial members
4) never publically berate the person/organization..i.e. stay above the fray (and manage to confirm the story at the same time)
5) get out from a situation with significant cash (to be seen)and situation upgrade (arguable it is Arizona)

I quote myself when I get it wrong, so yes I am going to work this side of it also.

Nuk probably didn't want to be like Andre Johnson, Arian Foster and soon to be JJ Watt. They wasted their best years here without a chance of even getting to the SB. If I were him I would of done the same thing if true.

Actually if you’re being real, they got worse. Lane didn’t play a single game for us and the 5th round pick was who Peter Kalambayi?

Actually they got two third round picks "technically"

2018 3rd Martinas Rankins/Carlos Hyde
2019 2nd Lonnie Johnson

The original deal was for Jeremy Lane (who the Seahawks wanted to cut) & a fifth. Thankfully Jeremy Lane failed his physical & they had to redo the deal.

Nuk probably didn't want to be like Andre Johnson, Arian Foster and soon to be JJ Watt. They wasted their best years here without a chance of even getting to the SB. If I were him I would of done the same thing if true.

Who goes to Arizona for a Superbowl shot? The SI article lays out pretty clearly that he wanted out for more money. I personally think there's more to the story as well, just not that his motive was to become a champion. He wasn't even involved in the trade discussions and had no control of where he was going.

Their relationship only became a problem when Nuk's guaranteed $$$$ ran out.

Coincidence? I think not.

so you’re telling me his ego took a hit b/c he found that out?

Yes, he learned his HC was shopping him ....so your response is to ask for a raise? That rationale doesn’t compute and it doesn’t make sense to do that....unless you wanted more money all along and/or you were trying to orchestrate your way out to begin with. Obviously We now know EXACTLY what he was trying to do with this article.

This is a business and greater players...hell greater WR’s have been shopped and traded/ released for the same or less. He got in his feelings...the same thing ya’ll say BoB does that prevents him from making good decisions....Nuk didthe same...so what does that make him then?

Don't / can't really disagree with you or Tex's position on this, obvious Nuk also wanted out etc. - but asking for an honest opinion, don't you think the GM has to be the level headed one? Player's are well players - and you are going to run into personality conflicts, but as the GM (and head coach) you need to be able to smooth those out? You can't just trade anyone that wants out, give more money to anyone that wants it etc. Do you not still see some accountability to BoB here for conflict resolution?

Yeah, he still got paid the next year, but lost that yr's salary which would have been like 15M. He also didn't do anything on the Jets and are likely to cut him this off season or after this year. His contract and situation will be one that GM's look at down the line and realize that most RB's won't be worth it.

Remember when UR was b!tching about the Texans not signing Bell in FA?

Smartest man on the MB. Dont believe me look at some of his hot takes. LMAO

Don't / can't really disagree with you or Tex's position on this, obvious Nuk also wanted out etc. - but asking for an honest opinion, don't you think the GM has to be the level headed one? Player's are well players - and you are going to run into personality conflicts, but as the GM (and head coach) you need to be able to smooth those out? You can't just trade anyone that wants out, give more money to anyone that wants it etc. Do you not still see some accountability to BoB here for conflict resolution?

he most definitely has accountability...but only for giving in and executing the trade though. Aside from that, the article lays out that there was at some point an attempt by BoB to try to “smooth things out”..the alleged “baby mama” convo. Nuk says IN THE ARTICLE though that to him “ it didn’t come off as genuine” or something to that effect.
It’s pretty clear then that there was nothing BoB could’ve done except kiss his ass more and give him more money; Nuk just wanted out.

These guys have been told all their lives they’re the ****. So when they hit the pros and everyone doesn’t worship the ground that they walk on, they feel some type of way. I just think it’s funny how Nuk went out of his way to make sure the writer of the SI article put in that he said he felt “there was no relationship”. He sounds butt hurt about that.

Last edited:
he most definitely has accountability...for executing the trade though. Aside from that, the article lays out that there was at some point an attempt by BoB to try to “smooth things out”..the alleged “baby mama” convo. Nuk says IN THE ARTICLE that to him “ it didn’t come off genuine” or something to that effect.
It’s pretty clear there was nothing BoB could’ve done except kiss his ass and give him more money; Nuk just wanted out.

Quoted for truth.

Who goes to Arizona for a Superbowl shot? The SI article lays out pretty clearly that he wanted out for more money. I personally think there's more to the story as well, just not that his motive was to become a champion. He wasn't even involved in the trade discussions and had no control of where he was going.
Agree that AZ isn't where I'd head for a Superbowl shot. Disagree that "he wanted out for more money".

My read of this piece (and the one over on PFT) is that Hopkins was tired of O'Brien, and already knew he was being shopped...ostensibly due to his friction with O'Brien. He knew the way to accelerate that move was contract demands.

he most definitely has accountability...but only for giving in and executing the trade though. Aside from that, the article lays out that there was at some point an attempt by BoB to try to “smooth things out”..the alleged “baby mama” convo. Nuk says IN THE ARTICLE though that to him “ it didn’t come off as genuine” or something to that effect.
It’s pretty clear then that there was nothing BoB could’ve done except kiss his ass more and give him more money; Nuk just wanted out.

These guys have been told all their lives they’re the ****. So when they hit the pros and everyone doesn’t worship the ground that they walk on, they feel some type of way. I just think it’s funny how Nuk went out of his way to make sure the writer of the SI article put in that he said he felt “there was no relationship”. He sounds butt hurt about that.
Wait a minute...you believe the baby mama convo was an attempt to "smooth things out"??
In what universe (other than O'Brien's) would referencing Aaron Hernandez as a human being comparison be seen as an extension of an olive branch?

Agree that AZ isn't where I'd head for a Superbowl shot. Disagree that "he wanted out for more money".

My read of this piece (and the one over on PFT) is that Hopkins was tired of O'Brien, and already knew he was being shopped...ostensibly due to his friction with O'Brien. He knew the way to accelerate that move was contract demands.

This just further shows a lot of these players are not fans of O’Brien like most thought they were.

Wait a minute...you believe the baby mama convo was an attempt to "smooth things out"??
In what universe (other than O'Brien's) would referencing Aaron Hernandez as a human being comparison be seen as an extension of an olive branch?

You're keying on a few words and things alleged to have been said in the conversation. Here are the facts. Noone but Nuk and BoB know the tone & context of how that conversation went down. Fact is, whatever was said in that conversation, it didn't come off to him like it was a genuine attempt to try and build a relationship ....emphasis on TO HIM the only guy of the 2 who has a story out there. Obviously BoB and apparently others feel differently.

Furthermore, use your common sense, do you really think Nuk...(the self proclaimed militant as proclaimed in the SI article anyway) would've minced his words if the tone of that conversation was what you and others are insinuating it was? Its more likely that Nuk had already decided he was going to try to leave & the attempt by BoB to try to extend an olive branch fell on dead ears. We all know when people are checked out, they hear things how they want to hear things...if they hear them at all.

You're keying on a few words and things alleged to have been said in the conversation. Here are the facts. Noone but Nuk and BoB know the tone & context of how that conversation went down. Fact is, whatever was said in that conversation, it didn't come off to him like it was a genuine attempt to try and build a relationship ....emphasis on TO HIM the only guy of the 2 who has a story out there. Obviously BoB and apparently others feel differently.

Furthermore, use your common sense, do you really think Nuk...(the self proclaimed militant as proclaimed in the SI article anyway) would've minced his words if the tone of that conversation was what you and others are insinuating it was? Its more likely that Nuk had already decided he was going to try to leave & the attempt by BoB to try to extend an olive branch fell on dead ears. We all know when people are checked out, they hear things how they want to hear things...if they hear them at all.

I'm glad they moved on from a self proclaimed militant.

Understood your points in the entire post, but is this really how you think he portrays himself in the SI article?
I'm glad they moved on from a self proclaimed militant.
LOL, you're better than that, you typically expound on your thoughts and not just run with something for the sake of it.

The first half of your post is correct... none of us know how that conversation went down, all we know is how Nuk interpreted it.

But then in the second half of your post, you're telling us how we should interpret it.

Listen to your own words, no one knows the tone & context. Don't pretend you know that BOB tried to be the good guy, but Nuk didn't care. Unless you really are BOB, which would make alot of sense.

Yeah I know. Even Hop said he was cool with him in the beginning.

who's going to intentionally cause work inbalance?? Of course for the sake of the T-E-A-M Hopkins said all the right things. It wasnt until he was pressed that all these inconvenient truths come out and then people are quick to attack Nuk for telling it like it is.

Exit interviews are supposed to be conducted for owners and upper management to install corrective actions and sensitivity training to try and get the most efficient and productive result for the T-E-A-M ... its only when managers go rogue or some new hire comes in with "bigger and better" ideas that culture appropriations and limits are criticized. IF there was a culture problem with this team it started when OBrien was hired.

Back