Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

DW4 Traded to Cleveland

Status
Not open for further replies.
Preposterous Weather Forecast Puts Focus on Evolving Browns Running Game
With a ridiculous weather forecast for the game against the New Orleans Saints, the Cleveland Browns will likely put a heavy focus on speeding up the evolution of their running game with Deshaun Watson at quarterback.

When the Cleveland Browns host the New Orleans Saints on Christmas Eve, the forecasted weather predicts temperatures around 10 degrees Fahrenheit that could dip to -9 courtesy of wind gusts from Lake Erie that could reach 60 miles per hour. It's absurd to play a football game in these conditions, but it's going to happen, so the Browns, who have been evolving their running game on the fly to fit around quarterback Deshaun Watson, could use these preposterous conditions to their ground attack to speed up that transformation.
THE REST OF THE STORY

O'Brien tried to make him a pocket passer. Questionable if he was ever successful with it, because Watson's big plays were mostly oft-script.

He's a scrambling QB like Fran Tarkenton back in the day. Scramblers with bad knees are risky.

1671762250088.gif

i think he gets/got labeled as a running/scrambling qb b/c he has had games where he’s made big plays using his athleticism and/or to buy time to make big plays down the field. Reality is he’s pretty much a pocket passer who has that ability … but he’s just as effective from the pocket.
He really hasn’t/doesn’t rush and scramble behind the LOS all that much more than Mahomes does.

Last edited:
Preposterous Weather Forecast Puts Focus on Evolving Browns Running Game
With a ridiculous weather forecast for the game against the New Orleans Saints, the Cleveland Browns will likely put a heavy focus on speeding up the evolution of their running game with Deshaun Watson at quarterback.

When the Cleveland Browns host the New Orleans Saints on Christmas Eve, the forecasted weather predicts temperatures around 10 degrees Fahrenheit that could dip to -9 courtesy of wind gusts from Lake Erie that could reach 60 miles per hour. It's absurd to play a football game in these conditions, but it's going to happen, so the Browns, who have been evolving their running game on the fly to fit around quarterback Deshaun Watson, could use these preposterous conditions to their ground attack to speed up that transformation.
THE REST OF THE STORY

watson gonna hate playing in CLE in the elements when he played indoors in houston for a long time

Saints are a warm weather team. The Browns a cold weather team. Watson didn't look like he has shirked any "rust." An INT set him up for a pretty easy TD. His completion rate was<50%. His INT set the Saints up for a TD. He was sacked twice, the last one a crucial one at the end of the game while holding on to the ball too long and then trying to run around in circles in the back field on 4th down to end the game.

Saints overcome deficit, bitter cold to beat Browns, 17-10
  • By TOM WITHERS | AP Sports Writer
  • 4 hrs ago

CLEVELAND (AP) — Without a roof over their heads, the Saints went outside and handled the frightful weather — and the Browns.
They're still in the playoff mix.

Alvin Kamara and Taysom Hill each had touchdown runs and New Orleans left its comfortable dome and withstood Cleveland's arctic-like conditions in a 17-10 win Saturday over the Browns, who were officially eliminated from the playoffs.

The Saints (6-9) were 0-6 in outdoor games this season before rallying to beat the Browns (6-9) in the coldest game in New Orleans history.

“I didn’t want to be a part of that,” joked Kamara, who were a scuba-like suit under his jersey. "The elements are the elements, so you just use common sense out there. It was cold. Nothing was going to stop it from being cold. On those long runs, I was really more fired up to get back to the heat on the sideline.”

Quarterback Deshaun Watson drove Cleveland to the Saints' 15 in the final minute, but he was sacked on fourth down by Carl Granderson — one play after tight end David Njoku let a TD pass slip through his hands — with 19 seconds left, ending the Browns' postseason hopes.

“Very disappointing,” Browns star defensive end Myles Garrett said. “It is not where we want to be. It is not where we expected to be at the beginning of the season.”

Kamara scored on a 4-yard run late in the third quarter — set up by Daniel Sorensen's interception of Watson and 36-yard return — as the Saints, still kicking in the NFC playoff hunt, overcame a 10-0 deficit.

New Orleans came in trailing Tampa Bay by one game in the weak, wide-open NFC South. The Saints, who traveled to Cleveland a day early to acclimate to the bone-chilling weather, aren't done yet.
“We said this game was going to be about mental toughness, and the mentally tougher team would win," Saints coach Dennis Allen said. "Now, Friday morning was an eye opener when we went outside, but we were prepared for this.”

Cleveland is guaranteed a losing season in coach Kevin Stefanski's third year, which was shaped by Watson's ban.

Watson had a 12-yard rushing TD but struggled to pass in the blustery conditions (15 of 31 for 135 yards) and fell to 2-2 as a starter since returning from his 11-game suspension for sexual misconduct allegations.

The Browns' porous rushing defense was a problem once again as the Saints, rotating Andy Dalton and Hill at quarterback and snapping it directly to Kamara, rolled up 152 yards on the ground.
“When you can line up and they know you’re going to run the ball, and you can still do it successfully, that’s big," said Hill, who ran for 56 yards on nine carries. "That’s what we came in wanting to do.”
The temperature was 6 degrees at kickoff, making it the coldest regular-season game in Cleveland history. Only the Browns’ 1981 playoff game (1 degree) against the Oakland Raiders was worse.

It was coldest at FirstEnergy Stadium, which opened in 1999. During the first quarter, the Browns invited any fans sitting in the upper deck to move to the lower bowl and hundreds of fans accepted the offer.
The Saints had never been this cold. Their previous coldest game was 24 degrees on Dec. 26, 1993 in Philadelphia’s Veterans Stadium.

Kamara's TD was the 72nd of his career, tying him with Marques Colston for the most in Saints history.

After getting a 23-yard field goal by Wil Lutz on the final play of the first half, New Orleans took the second-half kickoff and drove 67 yards for a tying TD with Hill barreling in from the 8-yard-line to make it 10-all with 9:40 left.

Watson's TD scamper gave the Browns a 7-0 lead early in the second quarter.

With Cleveland's offense unable to do anything productive, the defense came through as safety Grant Delpit intercepted a pass by Dalton that went off tight end Juwan Johnson's hands and returned it 40 yards to the Saints' 30.
Five plays later, Watson swept left on third down and scored untouched for his first rushing TD with Cleveland.
The Browns then ate up 8:44 on the clock with a drive capped by rookie Cade York's 30-yard field goal to take a 10-0 led.

watson gonna hate playing in CLE in the elements when he played indoors in houston for a long time
Won't be much different. A few rough games in December.

I could understand if they would regularly play in January, but he won't have to worry about that

PFN
Washington Commanders (-2) vs. Cleveland Browns
  • Date: Sunday, Jan. 1
  • Start time: 1 p.m. ET
The Browns are finished. Their $250 million (guaranteed) bet on a QB facing ongoing legal turmoil was, to put it mildly, a wager for the ages. Now they must decide whether to bring back Jacoby Brissett for these final two games.

No, it wouldn’t be a benching. You can’t bench someone you owe that much money to. But the Browns’ best hope is to return in 2023 healthy and prepared. A fluke injury to Deshaun Watson would set back this franchise another year, and perhaps more. I expect Washington — fighting for a Wild Card spot — to play more aggressively and effectively.

Against-the-spread prediction: Commanders
Moneyline winner: Commanders

View attachment 11282

i think he gets/got labeled as a running/scrambling qb b/c he has had games where he’s made big plays using his athleticism and/or to buy time to make big plays down the field. Reality is he’s pretty much a pocket passer who has that ability … but he’s just as effective from the pocket.
He really hasn’t/doesn’t rush and scramble behind the LOS all that much more than Mahomes does.

Except, y'know, reality and all:

His draft analysis by Lance Z:
  • Tremendous athlete who has ability to pick up chunks of yardage on ground
  • Has instant juice out of pocket to make defense pay if rush lanes are vacated
  • Does a good job of sliding or eluding square collisions in space as a runner
  • Dual-threat weapon near end zone who will create additional preparation time for coaching staffs looking to limit his effectiveness in the red area
Sounds like a pocket passer?

Watson already has run 28 times and is second behind Cam Newton among NFL quarterbacks with 202 rushing yards, the sixth-most for a QB through his first six games since the 1970 AFL-NFL merger. He’d need to average 4.6 rushes over his final 10 games to break David Carr’s team record of 73 set in 2004 after averaging 5.2 in the five games he’s started. Watson’s versatility stands as the main reason Houston is throwing the ball more than 10 percent less than last year (55.6 percent) and why the Texans rank fifth in the NFL in percentage of runs designed for the quarterback at 7.5, according to STATS X-Info.

The above was just in his rookie season.

Heck Watson himself said that if he needs to make plays with his feet he'll do that:

I not recall a true pocket passer ever saying anything close to the above.

Watson's athleticism is part of his overall skills. Denying that to support a narrative is just ignoring the obvious.

Getting sacked with a clean pocket 😂

A "pocket passer" would have thrown out of that situation, not try to scramble. But, what do I know. I'm just some chump on a football forum. idonno:

This thread still going huh? Carry on

Yeah, it's so weird that people talk about an NFL player on a pro football forum. :rolleyes:

Except, y'know, reality and all:

His draft analysis by Lance Z:
  • Tremendous athlete who has ability to pick up chunks of yardage on ground
  • Has instant juice out of pocket to make defense pay if rush lanes are vacated
  • Does a good job of sliding or eluding square collisions in space as a runner
  • Dual-threat weapon near end zone who will create additional preparation time for coaching staffs looking to limit his effectiveness in the red area
Sounds like a pocket passer?

The above was just in his rookie season.

Heck Watson himself said that if he needs to make plays with his feet he'll do that:

I not recall a true pocket passer ever saying anything close to the above.

Watson's athleticism is part of his overall skills. Denying that to support a narrative is just ignoring the obvious.

A "pocket passer" would have thrown out of that situation, not try to scramble. But, what do I know. I'm just some chump on a football forum. idonno:

Yeah, it's so weird that people talk about an NFL player on a pro football forum. :rolleyes:

& LZ was was wrong.

Pocket passers are pocket passers primarily b/c the can’t scramble or do alot of running around..physically limited. so the Reality is he doesnt run all that much and isnt a running qb …the numbers bear that out. All you have to do is compare his rushing numbers to Mahomes & Lamar Jackson…He’s closer to Mahomes in that regard than he is to Jackson….

& LZ was was wrong.

Pocket passers are pocket passers primarily b/c the can’t scramble or do alot of running around..physically limited. so the Reality is he doesnt run all that much and isnt a running qb …the numbers bear that out. All you have to do is compare his rushing numbers to Mahomes & Lamar Jackson…He’s closer to Mahomes in that regard than he is to Jackson….
It doesn't matter what facts you point out to the posters on this board and the narrative that Watson can't read defenses or that he runs too much or the fact that mobility is somehow a detriment vs an asset. The mere fact that KC would've lost alot of games if Mahomes wasn't mobile, in particular vs Titans in championship game, posters doesn't believe Watson can and majority of the time operate from the pocket. I watched the all 22 vs the saints when he was sacked in the final play and nobody was open close to the endzone or in the endzone. It was 4th and goal from like the 20 something yardline. Not to mention, DPJ dropped a td and Njoku dropped one that would've put them on the 1 says alot. I get it, his exit and off field activity causes posters to want him hurt and fail. I don't function like that. I watch sports for the highest level of competition. Its what it is.

It doesn't matter what facts you point out to the posters on this board and the narrative that Watson can't read defenses or that he runs too much or the fact that mobility is somehow a detriment vs an asset. The mere fact that KC would've lost alot of games if Mahomes wasn't mobile, in particular vs Titans in championship game, posters doesn't believe Watson can and majority of the time operate from the pocket. I watched the all 22 vs the saints when he was sacked in the final play and nobody was open close to the endzone or in the endzone. It was 4th and goal from like the 20 something yardline. Not to mention, DPJ dropped a td and Njoku dropped one that would've put them on the 1 says alot. I get it, his exit and off field activity causes posters to want him hurt and fail. I don't function like that. I watch sports for the highest level of competition. Its what it is.
Just like as in the past has been pointed out many times, a couple of plays in a game do not define a QB............it is his overall performance. It's not like Watson did not have many opportunities in the game that he couldn't take advantage of.

Just like as in the past has been pointed out many times, a couple of plays in a game do not define a QB............it is his overall performance. It's not like Watson did not have many opportunities in the game that he couldn't take advantage of.
They should've won that game early, but Amari slipped and they allowed the Saints to keep their run game in it which is a weakness of the Browns. I'm just saying overall, watching the coaches tape after reading the post, I though heplayed like he did vs the Texans and he didn't. I know what its about Doc. I stated after the trade the team would go 4-2 after winning 5 or 6 games with Brissett. Theyre probably going to finish right around that mark. If after the offseason and he's playing like he is now, then that's going to elevate the last pick the Texans have from the trade.

ridiculous assertion. You’re a doctor dude and of all people you should know nobody bats 100% in anything..im sure you or a fellow doctor you know has “left plays on the field” when it has come to your line of work…Does that mean you now suck at your job b/c you missed a prognosis/diagnosis on a patient?

ridiculous assertion. You’re a doctor dude and of all people you should know nobody bats 100% in anything..im sure you or a fellow doctor you know has “left plays on the field” when it has come to your line of work…Does that mean you now suck at your job b/c you missed a prognosis/diagnosis on a patient?
Ridiculous assertion? Since he's come back, his overall performance has been, to say the least, less than spectacular. Occasional dropped passes, including in crucial situations, have always been part of every QB's bane that he's had to deal with. Those few plays could have been more than made up for had he shown earlier consistent positive play. When Watson becomes half-way consistent and successful, then we can possibly revisit the narrative.

BTW, I don't believe I've ever received a guaranteed $230 million in return for 5 years of my services.................delivered good or bad. :winky:

Last edited:
All of the excuses in the world can be made for Derrick, but one things for sure, he's a terrible human being and is playing just about as bad as he possibly can.

Is and always has been overrated

Ridiculous assertion? Since he's come back, his overall performance has been, to say the least, less than spectacular. Occasional dropped passes, including in crucial situations, have always been part of every QB's bane that he's had to deal with. Those few plays could have been more than made up for had he shown earlier consistent positive play. When Watson becomes half-way consistent and successful, then we can possibly revisit the narrative.

BTW, I don't believe I've ever received a guaranteed $230 million in return for 5 years of my services.................delivered good or bad. :winky:

Don't sweat it, imagine how he feels about the weather man. That guy only has to be right half the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back