Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

DW4 Traded to Cleveland

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is no maybe about it, it definitely is a FUBAR on the magnitude of the Texans signing DeShaun Watson to a new long-term contract a year before Cal ran him off. You pooped in your Troll lunch pail here but no big deal, many here do it.

Watson wanted out just a few months after signing that contract and singing praises to the McNairs and Jack Easterby.

September 2020 - Texans QB Deshaun Watson signs 4-year, $160M extension

January 2021 - Deshaun Watson wants out: Houston Texans QB officially requests trade

Four months.

Personally, with what we now know about Watson's low character, I don't think he ever intended to honor the contract. He wanted a locked-in starting point with a NTC and was playing the Texans. He never intended to be a part of a rebuild. He's a lowlife individual, so "honoring" a contract is simply not in his vocabulary unless it serves his agendas.

Hopefully, the lesson learned by the McNairs is a NTC is no longer in their vocabulary. . .for anyone.

Watson wanted out just a few months after signing that contract and singing praises to the McNairs and Jack Easterby.

September 2020 - Texans QB Deshaun Watson signs 4-year, $160M extension

January 2021 - Deshaun Watson wants out: Houston Texans QB officially requests trade

Four months.

Personally, with what we now know about Watson's low character, I don't think he ever intended to honor the contract. He wanted a locked-in starting point with a NTC and was playing the Texans. He never intended to be a part of a rebuild. He's a lowlife individual, so "honoring" a contract is simply not in his vocabulary unless it serves his agendas.

Hopefully, the lesson learned by the McNairs is a NTC is no longer in their vocabulary. . .for anyone.
I don't think Derrick is smart enough to come up with this plan on his own.

So I was wrong to say he was going to be cut. But I was right that Caserio talked Cal into keeping Watson longer than he want. And I was right that it was somewhere on this board I heard it. So 2 out of 3 ain’t bad.
C'mon bro, nobody is perfect. No matter how you want phrase it, cutting him wasn't an option. Now if he had all his lawsuits settled, he would've been traded to the Dolphins and I'm sure the trade package would've been pretty similar to the same.

C'mon bro, nobody is perfect. No matter how you want phrase it, cutting him wasn't an option. Now if he had all his lawsuits settled, he would've been traded to the Dolphins and I'm sure the trade package would've been pretty similar to the same.

Did you misread my previous post saying that Watson wasn’t going to be cut? Because I thought I was pretty clear in saying I was wrong to say he was going to be cut. But Cal did want to go ahead and trade him for whatever Miami was offering at the time. Caserio said advised him to wait it out. So they did. There is a link there to support the facts.

You are talking in “if” this and “if” that. The Dolphins took advantage of us the first time with the Tunsil trade. You really think they were not trying to see if they could get a bargain knowing they were dealing with the Texans?

I am talking in facts. What actually happened.

You choose to believe the facts or not and go with “if” this.

So I was wrong to say he was going to be cut. But I was right that Caserio talked Cal into keeping Watson longer than he want. And I was right that it was somewhere on this board I heard it. So 2 out of 3 ain’t bad.
More importantly just think how much time You were saved in research!

You're putting it all on the agent, and that may or may not be the case. It doesn't mean you can't do business with the agent again, it just means you don't let him get in a position to do that again
How do you keep from getting in that position again. The agent has a track record of doing this and not just with Derrick. Like I said, I woud do business with him again if there was a generational type prospect. That guy isn't in this class and in fact he's never had a client that this term would apply too. Parsons is the closest and I wouldn't deal with him for Parsons. Just draft a guy like Hutch or Anderson so you dont have to deal with the agents BS.

You don't allow any more NTC's to be written into contracts

It's not just the NTC's, it's the renogotiating the QB's contract after 3 yrs that closes your championship window. Like Kyler with the Cards and Derrick with the Browns.

It's not just the NTC's, it's the renogotiating the QB's contract after 3 yrs that closes your championship window. Like Kyler with the Cards and Derrick with the Browns.
You don't have to renegotiate a contract that is unfavorable to you. And any agent is liable to ask for a renegotiation

You're putting it all on the agent, and that may or may not be the case. It doesn't mean you can't do business with the agent again, it just means you don't let him get in a position to do that again

What did the Jacksonville Jaguars do to be in a position for Jalen Ramsey to force his way out? Who coincidentally enough is/was a Mulughata client at that time.

You don't have to renegotiate a contract that is unfavorable to you. And any agent is liable to ask for a renegotiation

And you're setting yourself up for the QB/Agent that you refused to renegotiate with faking an injury. See another of the agents clients (Ramsey) faking an injury to get out of Jacksonville and get a new contract with the Rams. Best to avoid that altogether if possible.

However, three of the four players picked ahead of Ramsey in the 2016 NFL Draft — Jared Goff, Carson Wentz, Ezekiel Elliott — have already signed lucrative extensions that make them among the highest-paid at their respective positions. Meanwhile, Ramsey is making about $3.6 million in 2019, despite having a strong argument as the top cornerback in the NFL.

One the factors being he had to play out his fifth year while others who were picked ahead of him did. Hmmm.

I agree, but you don't take a player off your board because of who his agent is
Agreed, but unless the player is special, avoiding the agent is the best course of action. The only truly special player on the list might be Parsons and I would rather draft Anderson than have to deal with Parson's agent. Same with Stroud, give me Young or Levis over Stroud if they just have to draft a QB.

How do you keep from getting in that position again. The agent has a track record of doing this and not just with Derrick. Like I said, I woud do business with him again if there was a generational type prospect. That guy isn't in this class and in fact he's never had a client that this term would apply too. Parsons is the closest and I wouldn't deal with him for Parsons. Just draft a guy like Hutch or Anderson so you dont have to deal with the agents BS.
Neither of those guys are on Parsons level

Did you misread my previous post saying that Watson wasn’t going to be cut? Because I thought I was pretty clear in saying I was wrong to say he was going to be cut. But Cal did want to go ahead and trade him for whatever Miami was offering at the time. Caserio said advised him to wait it out. So they did. There is a link there to support the facts.

You are talking in “if” this and “if” that. The Dolphins took advantage of us the first time with the Tunsil trade. You really think they were not trying to see if they could get a bargain knowing they were dealing with the Texans?

I am talking in facts. What actually happened.

You choose to believe the facts or not and go with “if” this.
Caserio didn't advise against trading him to Miami, the owner, Ross wanted all lawsuits settled 1st.

Caserio didn't advise against trading him to Miami, the owner, Ross wanted all lawsuits settled 1st.

Caserio advised to trade for the value he was after and told Cal not to accept anything less. Miami didn’t want to trade the assets the agreed to unless the lawsuits were settled. That doesn’t necessarily mean Ross wouldn’t trade for less. And if Caserio went lower on the acceptable trade value then other teams may have entered and boom Watson could have been gone for just a first and second.

And Carolina was after Watson too. There may have been another team but my memory is fuzzy.

That’s the point though. Caserio made sure Cal kept to the value they were after.

Seriously - why is that hard to believe? We just found out Cal can’t even operate a zoom meeting.

Caserio advised to trade for the value he was after and told Cal not to accept anything less. Miami didn’t want to trade the assets the agreed to unless the lawsuits were settled. That doesn’t necessarily mean Ross wouldn’t trade for less. And if Caserio went lower on the acceptable trade value then other teams may have entered and boom Watson could have been gone for just a first and second.

And Carolina was after Watson too. There may have been another team but my memory is fuzzy.

That’s the point though. Caserio made sure Cal kept to the value they were after.

Seriously - why is that hard to believe? We just found out Cal can’t even operate a zoom meeting.
It was Denver..........but they never made a formal bid.

The deal was done to Miami, this is known. Ross wanted all lawsuits settled and Watson had all settled except 1 or 2. I'm not privy to the draft compensation, but I'm certain it was pretty close to the same.

The deal was done to Miami, this is known. Ross wanted all lawsuits settled and Watson had all settled except 1 or 2. I'm not privy to the draft compensation, but I'm certain it was pretty close to the same.

You are correct in saying so. The point I am making is Caserio was driving the short bus with Cal in the back making sure he didn’t do something stupid and settle for a meager return. Which Cal was ready to do to get rid of Watson- but not cut Watson.

Miami, Denver, Carolina was when there were no settlements and still ongoing criminal investigation. Then NO, Carolina, Cleveland, and Atlanta when the criminal charges were dropped.

Caserio set the market and made sure he got what he felt was worth it. Cal was probably practicing his burger flipping.

Imagine what Philly would look like this season had WD40 said ok to a trade there when they were interested… No AJ Brown, presumably Hurts gets traded away… sometimes the best moves are the ones you don’t make!
What if we got Hurts and 3 round ones with Brown eventually coming to Houston?

Shiny new QB require shiny new stadium.........

Browns Owner Wants A Cleveland Stadium Upgrade
By
Evan Weiner
-January 29, 2023
https://www.facebook.com/sharer.php...owns-owner-wants-a-cleveland-stadium-upgrade/
No decision has been made on whether a new stadium should be built.

It is stadium game season for National Football League owners and it appears the Cleveland Browns ownership is on the field doing warmups. The Browns business’s lease with the city of Cleveland is done in 2028 and Cleveland elected officials are beginning to put together a proposal that could produce a renovated or new stadium. The building opened in 1999. Browns owner Jimmy Haslam, according to NEOtrans blog’s Ken Prendergast, was “leaning toward building a new stadium versus renovating the existing stadium” and that Haslam felt the structure is “aging poorly.” Cleveland Mayor Justin Bibb has listened.

“As we approach negotiations with the Haslams and the Browns, it’s going to be important that we in the community find a way to not just think about the stadium, but the lakefront as an asset for the entire region,” said Bibb. “It’s my responsibility as mayor as we approach that negotiation to structure a deal that has the right return on investment for the residents of Cleveland. We have to explore every scenario we can to keep the Browns here, but leverage the stadium as a catalytic investment for a world class lakefront That’s my priority.” The Cleveland stadium was built after Art Modell took his Browns in 1995 and moved the business to Baltimore in 1996. Modell had watched the city build a venue for the National Basketball Association’s Cleveland Cavaliers and a stadium for Major League Baseball’s Cleveland Indians. Once Modell left, the city of Cleveland sued the NFL. A deal was brokered with Cleveland getting an expansion franchise in 1999 and a new stadium which was funded by a “sin tax” as there was a sales tax hike on cigarettes and alcohol. The stadium underwent extensive renovations in 2014 and 2015 but the venue does not produce enough revenue.

By
Evan Weiner
-January 29, 2023
https://www.facebook.com/sharer.php...owns-owner-wants-a-cleveland-stadium-upgrade/

It is stadium game season for National Football League owners and it appears the Cleveland Browns ownership is on the field doing warmups. The Browns business’s lease with the city of Cleveland is done in 2028 and Cleveland elected officials are beginning to put together a proposal that could produce a renovated or new stadium. The building opened in 1999. Browns owner Jimmy Haslam, according to NEOtrans blog’s Ken Prendergast, was “leaning toward building a new stadium versus renovating the existing stadium” and that Haslam felt the structure is “aging poorly.” Cleveland Mayor Justin Bibb has listened.

“As we approach negotiations with the Haslams and the Browns, it’s going to be important that we in the community find a way to not just think about the stadium, but the lakefront as an asset for the entire region,” said Bibb. “It’s my responsibility as mayor as we approach that negotiation to structure a deal that has the right return on investment for the residents of Cleveland. We have to explore every scenario we can to keep the Browns here, but leverage the stadium as a catalytic investment for a world class lakefront That’s my priority.” The Cleveland stadium was built after Art Modell took his Browns in 1995 and moved the business to Baltimore in 1996. Modell had watched the city build a venue for the National Basketball Association’s Cleveland Cavaliers and a stadium for Major League Baseball’s Cleveland Indians. Once Modell left, the city of Cleveland sued the NFL. A deal was brokered with Cleveland getting an expansion franchise in 1999 and a new stadium which was funded by a “sin tax” as there was a sales tax hike on cigarettes and alcohol. The stadium underwent extensive renovations in 2014 and 2015 but the venue does not produce enough revenue.

As soon as there's any semblance of Texans success again, Cal's going to want his new stadium, too...

By
Evan Weiner
-January 29, 2023

I'm amazed at the gall of owners requesting new stadiums or upgrades to existing stadiums given the economic climate we live in.. Sorry your new stadium tax is tied up in my egg fund.. You want new ****, figure it out and pay for it yourselves. All these empty seats aren't just because the team sucks. People are really being forced to prioritize extra spending dollars (If they have it) and the Texans fall down the pole where you can no longer justify budgeting them in.

As soon as there's any semblance of Texans success again, Cal's going to want his new stadium, too...

Yep. And I'll fight it every step of the way with any fan that wants to join me. We won't have much power, but we can make a lot of noise.

There are far too many important things this city and county needs before upgrading Cal's playground. He's a multi-billionaire. Let him finance his own upgrades.

This article tries to make one believe that the listed problems are new for Watson, and due to his "layoff" time. However, they are the same deficiencies that Texans fans repeatedly kept complaining about he was with the Texans.

*******************************************************************************************************

How Deshaun Watson can use anticipation and trust to improve for 2023: Film review

Published: Feb. 04, 2023, 5:30 a.m.
By Lance Reisland | special to cleveland.com
  • CLEVELAND, Ohio — During Deshaun Watson’s six-game return, the Browns’ new signal caller was 99 of 170 for 1,102 yards, with seven passing touchdown passes and five interceptions. The most concerning issue for the Browns would be his 58.2 completion percentage.

In 2020, Watson played at an MVP level, completing 70.2% of his passes for 4,823 yards and 33 touchdowns. Since Watson did not play in 2021 and had to sit out the first 11 games this season, his accuracy, footwork, mechanics, and attention to detail were not at the level he exhibited in his young, but outstanding career.

The lack of game repetitions was just the first issue for the new Browns quarterback when he returned Week 13 against the Texans. He was in a new scheme that had been focused on the power run game with play action from underneath center. In 2020, Watson was in the shotgun 82% of the time and Houston was ranked second-to-last in rushing attempts, rushing touchdowns, and runs over 20 yards.

The challenge for Cleveland is marrying the skills of Watson with the scheme of Kevin Stefanski. Regardless of the changes, Watson will have a full offseason of work as the starting quarterback.

Two areas that will drastically improve for Watson going into the 2023 season:
1. Anticipation
When watching all 170 throws from this past season, Watson was considerably slower in his anticipation of open receivers than in 2020. This lack of anticipation is connected with being out of live football for over 700 days.

On many of his throws, he takes the first available option or short throw without looking at the possible deeper throw that requires anticipation of an open window. Anticipation is linked to repetition. Watson will now have the repetitions needed to get to his 2020 level of performance.

Below is a look at Watson not anticipating a hole in a specific coverage.

As the play starts, Demetric Felton Jr. will go in orbit motion to stress the flat of the Ravens. The Ravens are in a Cover 6, meaning corner Marlon Humphrey and the safety to his side are in Cover 4 and the other corner and safety are in Cover 2. Nickel corner Kyle Hamilton is the flat defender to the side of Humphrey.

As Felton threatens the flat area, Watson should recognize that Hamilton has flat responsibility and should anticipate the curl throw to Donovan People-Jones. Watson does a nice job of hitting Felton for a 5-yard gain, but could have had a much bigger play to Peoples-Jones.

As Watson continues to grow and experiences live game speed, these types of plays will be second nature for the Browns’ franchise quarterback.
Deshaun Watson anticipation.

Below is a look at another missed opportunity to Michael Woods II when playing the Bengals.

The Browns will run a high/low levels concept against Cincinnati’s Cover 2. Peoples-Jones will clear out the safety as Woods comes across the field. David Bell will block first then release to the flat to occupy the corner. Watson is unable to read the coverage and anticipate the big hole that has been created for Woods.

2. Trusting his eyes
In addition to anticipation, a quarterback must trust his eyes and believe what he is seeing in front of him. At the height of his success in 2020, Watson was able to process the information and coverage a defense was showing him and then use his elite arm talent to connect with the receiver.

Trusting what he sees is also very important for Watson when using his feet for success. From designed runs, to off-schedule runs from the pocket, Watson needs to understand coverage, leverage, and responsibility of each defender. Again, practice repetitions will allow Watson to believe what his eyes are telling and let his talent take over.

Below is a great look at a simple RPO (run-pass option) from the Browns.
Felton will go in motion to either declare coverage or stretch the flat defender. Hamilton, the flat defender, will come on a blitz. The Browns run the guard-tackle counter with Amari Cooper running a hitch as the pass option for Watson.
With Hamilton blitzing, Watson should pull the football and hit wide open Cooper. This run play lost yardage, but could have been an explosive play if Watson was able to trust what he was seeing.

THE REST OF THE STORY

Yep. And I'll fight it every step of the way with any fan that wants to join me. We won't have much power, but we can make a lot of noise.

There are far too many important things this city and county needs before upgrading Cal's playground. He's a multi-billionaire. Let him finance his own upgrades.

If he gets a new stadium (Which I'm totally against.) hopefully they put it in a better place than the current stadium.

Rather than pay for a new playpen, I would rather they leave.
Yeah, well we know what happened last time that happened. The NFL is king no matter how many thousands of people no longer watches, just honest. I think there are more pressing needs that cities should deal with besides giving funded stadiums to billionaires. Yet, as a culture and society, we learned how much sports means to our mindset during the pandemic. I'm not saying its right, I'm just saying.

Reactions: JB
If he gets a new stadium (Which I'm totally against.) hopefully they put it in a better place than the current stadium.
Where would you suggest they put a possible new one? I mean, its close enough to everything right now for the most part. I'm not a fan of downtown stadiums, but I understand why they do it.

Yeah, well we know what happened last time that happened. The NFL is king no matter how many thousands of people no longer watches, just honest. I think there are more pressing needs that cities should deal with besides giving funded stadiums to billionaires. Yet, as a culture and society, we learned how much sports means to our mindset during the pandemic. I'm not saying its right, I'm just saying.

Agreed, I would rather the team move than give the McNair's another dime.

Where would you suggest they put a possible new one? I mean, its close enough to everything right now for the most part. I'm not a fan of downtown stadiums, but I understand why they do it.

I'm a fan of putting it anywhere rather than the run down part of the city it's in today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back