Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Dunta Robinson, Texans to Part Ways

Maybe because the stats you picked don't provide an accurate picture.

If you want to compare D-Rob to Quin then you have to do it on a snap by snap basis, not just looking at total numbers. A guy who played 5 snaps and didn't give up any receptions is not the greatest corner to ever take the field. He's a bum who couldn't get on the field.

above average
average
bellow average

Yards allowed per play in coverage
Dunta Robinson 0.88 <--- here's your winner
Glover Quin 1.18

Percentage of plays in coverage they allowed a reception.
Dunta Robinson 8.6% <--- here's your winner
Glover Guin 10.3%

Percentage of plays in coverage they were thrown at.
Dunta Robinson 13.1% <--- here's your winner
Glover Quin 16.1

Yards per reception
Dunta Robinson 10.3 <--- here's your winner
Glover Quin 11.5

Yards per attempt
Dunta Robinson 6.7 <--- here's your winner
Glover Quin 7.3

Completion percentage against
Dunta Robinson 65.4%
Glover Quin 63.8%
<--- here's your winner

Despite D-Rob covering the other team's #1 and Quin covering the #2 or slot, Robinson still comes out ahead in almost every category.

It isn't even close.

98th out of 107 corners based completely on an opinion based ratings system.

"I thought Petey looked good getting torched on that 98 yard TD. I'll give him +2"

That's what their ratings amount to. They are opinions. Opinions are not stats.

You are pencil whipping the numbers and the stats are based on pure yardage, etc, not opinions. It is one of the most repsected sites out there. You are basically making up an argument. Let me switch places with you and be smarmy for a minute. An opinion is something like "I think Dunta sucks." Giving a value system to a stat isn't an opinion when all those value stats are used the same across the board for each player. It's not like they decided to make a statistical analysis site to stick it to Dunta. What is funny is that there are fractions involved in the alleged #1 corner you so covet and a rookie last year. Even in your cherry picking you make my point. And Quin wasn't even as good as Reeves. So how is Dunta #1?

He is good, but that is alot of money.

I dont know if he is worth that much!

Does it matter? It's uncapped year. Teams can go out and spend like crazy. Forget about it being a business that needs to work within a budget. Hell I say we should've franchised Dunta at $12 mill and brought Nnamdi Asomugha here for $15 mill and given up a couple of draft choices...

Oh wait, Bob is too cheap... :gun:

:sarcasm:

internet_white_knight.jpg

DuntaFan1

:spit:

Does it matter? It's uncapped year. Teams can go out and spend like crazy. Forget about it being a business that needs to work within in a budget. Hell I say we should've franchised Dunta at $12 mill and brought Nnamdi Asomugha here for $15 mill and given up a couple of draft choices...

For the people saying Bob isn't committed to winning and is just in for profit, gimme a break. It doesn't make sense.

Along that line of logic, wouldn't winning in the playoffs and/or a Superbowl increase your brand and make you more money? So why wouldn't he be committed to winning if it could make him more money at it? Afterall, that's all he is in it for right? That logic contradicts itself and does not make sense.

The REAL problem those people are having with Bob is the way he is going about winning. They seem to feel like he's doing it all wrong. Well, there is a solution. Go become a billionaire and buy yourself and team and show the world how right you are.

It's crazy to assume that Bob doesn't want to win because it hasnt' been proven to 'you'. Want to argue he's trusting the wrong football people to run his team, fine.....want to critique the way he goes about it fine.....but this 'Bob hasn't proven to me he wants to win' stuff is just mind boggling to me.

Oh, and last time I check Dunta doesn't even want to be on this team, what good is forcing a player to stay, overpaying him just so he can take plays off when he feels like it and costing the club some wins.

But carry on, :deadhorse:

Does it matter? It's uncapped year. Teams can go out and spend like crazy. Forget about it being a business that needs to work within a budget. Hell I say we should've franchised Dunta at $12 mill and brought Nnamdi Asomugha here for $15 mill and given up a couple of draft choices...

Its not about being cheap!

Its about being smart, making the right decisions for the team, and not just blowing money because you have it.

In other word acheiving the goal with the minimum necessary. Thats how he became a millionaire.

correction billionaire!

I guess my :sarcasm: smiley is not working.

Facetious

fa·ce·tious&#8194; &#8194;/f&#601;&#712;si&#643;&#601;s/ Show Spelled[fuh-see-shuhs] Show IPA
&#8211;adjective
1.not meant to be taken seriously or literally: a facetious remark.
2.amusing; humorous.
3.lacking serious intent; concerned with something nonessential, amusing, or frivolous: a facetious person.

18+ pages on Dunta, shows that he is a big part of this team hate him or love him.

He is a big part of this team because at this time we do not have a suitable replacement for him. If we did then I would have no qualms about letting him walk. However, I will not overpay him just because he thinks he's worth more than he really is and thinks he can get away with it because we need a CB.

You are pencil whipping the numbers and the stats are based on pure yardage, etc, not opinions. It is one of the most repsected sites out there. You are basically making up an argument. Let me switch places with you and be smarmy for a minute. An opinion is something like "I think Dunta sucks." Giving a value system to a stat isn't an opinion when all those value stats are used the same across the board for each player. It's not like they decided to make a statistical analysis site to stick it to Dunta. What is funny is that there are fractions involved in the alleged #1 corner you so covet and a rookie last year. Even in your cherry picking you make my point. And Quin wasn't even as good as Reeves. So how is Dunta #1?

Putting them on an equal level so that you can do an accurate analysis is "pencil whipping the numbers"?

Did you mean for that to come across as retarded as it did? You are the one trying to warp the stats to show what you want them to. Comparing a guy who had < 500 snaps in coverage to a guy with > 600 using just the flat yards and receptions is neither fair, accurate or honest.

If Robinson had played 121 fewer snaps you could reasonably expect him to have given up 106 fewer yards based on his performance of 0.88 yards per snap.

If the number of snaps they played were reversed their numbers would have projected to looked like this:

Robinson 497 snaps for 438 yards
Quin 618 snaps 730 yards

See why the number of snaps, and yards per snap matter?

PFF even admits their rating system is subjective and opinion based fyi. They also note that anything to do with receivers and DBs downfield can't be graded because they can't see it unless the ball goes to that part of the field.

That means the 86.9% of plays D-Rob wasn't thrown at netted him no points for coverage. It's why they don't have Nnamdi Asomugha as the run away best cover man. They just rarely see him.

I've never considered him "cheap" more like mis-informed :kitten:

During the previous regime, I'd agree. But, he even admitted he wasn't up to snuff on pro football when he brought the team here. He made the mistake of bringing Casserly and Capers here and considering he's a very good business man I'd assume he's learned.

SH

You keep saying that we've lost our "#1 Cornerback" and it forces me to reflect and then ask "By what measure?"

Was Dunta our #1 because he played better than anyone else on our roster? I don't believe that's accurate. profootballfocus.com has him rated 98th (as has been covered widely already in this thread) behind two other Texans corners neither of who are fan favorites. One is a rookie.

Is he our #1 corner because of his stats? Led the corners in tackles? Nope, that was Glover Quin, the rookie. Led the corners in interceptions? Nope, that was Jaques Reeves with a whopping 1 pick. Passes defensed? Nope, Quin again with 9. Penalties then, maybe he committed fewer penalties than the rest of them? No, that wasn't it either.

The whole focus of your anger about this seems to be funneled through the idea that we let our #1 cornerback go but damn man, if your #1 cornerback can't even make a case for why he should be considered your #1 cornerback then what in the hell are we talking about anyway?

So that was a down year? He's really much better than that but didn't show it?

Because why exactly? Because he didn't come to camp to make a point? Then he's stupid and is a stupid cornerback really an asset? Dunta played like **** last year by almost every legitimate measurable standard and he did it because he either couldn't play any better or wouldn't play any better. Neither one of those is a good road to be going down.

If he's lost a step as a result of injury then is he really our #1 cornerback?
If he's couldn't do it because he sat out then is he really our #1 cornerback?
If he just sandbagged and pouted his way through a shitty year is he really our #1 cornerback?

Before we get all upset about what we're losing lets at least try to be honest about what he's worth. In this scenario Dunta is just getting his usual pass because he was our 2004 first round pick and had a good rookie year opposite Aaron Glenn.

Just ask yourself this. Who lined up against the other teams #1 WR each and every play, each and every game?

THAT is your #1 Corner.

There are no statistics you can use to prove which CB is better or worse. They play against different WR's.

I agree that this thread has just about run its course.

Bottom line: We lost our #1 corner, and best pound for pound hitter on the team, maybe in the league, and plan on replacing him with a rookie. Let the fun begin!

SH

You keep saying that we've lost our "#1 Cornerback" and it forces me to reflect and then ask "By what measure?"

Was Dunta our #1 because he played better than anyone else on our roster? I don't believe that's accurate. profootballfocus.com has him rated 98th (as has been covered widely already in this thread) behind two other Texans corners neither of who are fan favorites. One is a rookie.

Is he our #1 corner because of his stats? Led the corners in tackles? Nope, that was Glover Quin, the rookie. Led the corners in interceptions? Nope, that was Jaques Reeves with a whopping 1 pick. Passes defensed? Nope, Quin again with 9. Penalties then, maybe he committed fewer penalties than the rest of them? No, that wasn't it either.

The whole focus of your anger about this seems to be funneled through the idea that we let our #1 cornerback go but damn man, if your #1 cornerback can't even make a case for why he should be considered your #1 cornerback then what in the hell are we talking about anyway?

So that was a down year? He's really much better than that but didn't show it?

Because why exactly? Because he didn't come to camp to make a point? Then he's stupid and is a stupid cornerback really an asset? Dunta played like **** last year by almost every legitimate measurable standard and he did it because he either couldn't play any better or wouldn't play any better. Neither one of those is a good road to be going down.

If he's lost a step as a result of injury then is he really our #1 cornerback?
If he's couldn't do it because he sat out then is he really our #1 cornerback?
If he just sandbagged and pouted his way through a shitty year is he really our #1 cornerback?

Before we get all upset about what we're losing lets at least try to be honest about what he's worth. In this scenario Dunta is just getting his usual pass because he was our 2004 first round pick and had a good rookie year opposite Aaron Glenn.

Good post, Herv. I'd like to see some pro-D.Rob folks honestly try to answer the questions you put forth. What, other than opinion or payroll or draft position, makes him the lock as our no. 1 CB?

Putting them on an equal level so that you can do an accurate analysis is "pencil whipping the numbers"?

Did you mean for that to come across as retarded as it did?

I stopped reading after this. Classy and in left field, great combo. I guess when you can't make an intelligent argument you resort to this.

I stopped reading after this. Classy and in left field, great combo. PFF is alot more detailed then your simple mindeset on it. Read it all. Again, you don't get that big of a gap on opinion alone. Since there are 32 teams with 2 actual starting corners of course the snaps are going to be off. But you take the time played and use those stats. That is all you can go on. You can't assume. Again, Dunta was about the 3rd best corner. I'm glad the Texans allowed him to get burned by a teams top WR every week.

So to recap: You have no valid arguments.

You could have just started with that and saved everyone a lot of time.

I agree that this thread has just about run its course.

Bottom line: We lost our #1 corner, and best pound for pound hitter on the team, maybe in the league, and plan on replacing him with a rookie. Let the fun begin!

Maybe before we got here, but not since.

Signed,

Brian Cushing and Bernard Pollard

So to recap: You have no valid arguments.

You could have just started with that and saved everyone a lot of time.

I laid out my arguments, sans name calling and an attitude that lends itself to an inferiority complex. It's simple. The stats show Dunta wasn't much better or even better than a rookie and that the #1 corner on the team last year was Reeves. You can cut and spin all you want. You can say he played on different WRs or played a certain number or plays, but when broken down, he was constantly burned, had big time PI calls on him, missed tackles and was not a Top corner. What is funny is that you are up in arms over Dunta vs Quin...a rookie and are splicing percentage points to make an argument of being the 2nd best corner on just this team. The stats don't lie, sorry. You can now continue to cut people down while rolling your eyes. It makes you smart.

I believe the recap is that your constant berating of members is getting in the way of your narrative.

This

Compare Dunta Robinson and Tracy McGrady.

Nothing to compare, except neither one will be in Houston. I liked Dunta, but he lost a little in his legs and put the Texans in a difficult decision. I have no doubt Dunta gave his best every time on the field.

As far as McPuhC, not going to talk about him. He's gone and I'm happy.

I laid out my arguments,

Yes, your completely innacurate, dishonest and unfair argument that doesn't account for the difference in the number of snaps.

Hey Carr threw for 2,767 yards in 2006, we were stupid to replace him with Schaub's 2,241 yards in 2007.

Hint: Schaub only played in 11 games. Take note that how much you play matters.

sans name calling and an attitude that lends itself to an inferiority complex.

You poor little victim. :rolleyes:

It's simple. The stats show Dunta wasn't much better or even better than a rookie

The stats say that Robinson was wildly better than Quin. They're not even close. Robinson is above average in almost every category. Quin is bellow average in almost every category. NO COMPARISON.

and that the #1 corner on the team last year was Reeves.

Actually I've said that Reeves was our best corner this year. Based on statistical analysis I have him as the 8th best, Robinson 23rd best, and Quin 53rd best.

Robinson played the role of #1 corner though. "Best" and "#1 corner" are not the same thing. One is a talent/performance analysis, the other is a position on the field/depth chart.

You can cut and spin all you want to say he played on different WRs or played a certain number or plays, but when broken down, he was constantly burned, had big time PI calls on him, missed tackles and was not a Top corner. What is funny is that you are up in arms over Dunta vs Quin...a rookie and are splicing percentage points to make an argument of being the 2nd best corner on just this team. The stats don't lie, sorry.

No, the statistics clearly show that they're not even close. You have to ignore half the numbers to even get them to within spitting distance.

You can now continue to cut people down while rolling your eyes. It makes you smart.

Seriously, get over the "poor little me" bullshit. I said your statement was retarded, that's not a "cut down" or a personal attack. It's a comment on how stupid your reply was.

The more you post, the more I'm convinced that more than your comments are deficient.

Seriously, get over the "poor little me" bullshit. I said your statement was retarded, that's not a "cut down" or a personal attack. It's a comment on how stupid your reply was.

The more you post, the more I'm convinced that more than your comments are deficient.

Again, its not poor little me. It's just called having a mature debate on a player. I'm not the only person you've done this to in the thread. When you have to act this way, it implies you have a self esteem problem. Why else would you add such brilliant statements to a simple debate?

Let me make it simple for you because no one cares what your rankings are because they are made up in your head. Your main claim is that because of Dunta's playing time that the stats are skewed. Yet wouldn't more playing time net him more ints, more passes defensed, more knockdowns, etc, etc?Logically it would. Yet it doesn't translate that way. You can make the excuse that they weren't throwing his way but that isn't true either because being on their #1 guy he was getting beat and teams weren't afraid of him. I mean here is a guy that had approx 250 more snaps and yet has 54 tackles and 3 assts and Quin has 57 tackles and 9 assts. You can't just attribute that to teams running to Quin's side or him chasing guys from behind when there are 250 more snaps. You just admitted that Reeves had a better year and is ranked higher but according to PFF he had even less snaps than Quin...499 total. Quin had 762 and Dunta just above 1000. So you are basically making an argument to fit your need. I'm just looking at from a broad view from the outside. You can get defensive about it but there is a reason why the have their rankings and its not even close.

He allowed 3 receptions for 37 yards the entire game. That's a quality game for anyone not named Asomugha. Even Revis and Woodson had plenty of 30+ yard games.

If your expectation is for him to give up ZERO receptions per game, then you're going to be disappointed in every corner ever to lace 'em up. That is completely unreasonable.

Ask yourself how you would feel if our receivers were held to 3 for 37 by their top corner.

Here is how Darrell Revis fared:

Week 1 HOU 2 for 21
week 2 NEP 4 for 24
week 3 TEN 5 for 64
week 4 NOS 0 for 0
Week 5 MIA 4 for 75
Week 6 BUF 3 for 13
week 7 OAK 2 for 10
week 8 MIA 1 for 15
week10 JAX 2 for 16
week11 NEP 5 for 72
week12 CAR 1 for 5
week13 BUF 3 for 29
week14 TAM 3 for 25
week16 IND 3 for 28
week17 CIN 1 for 16

Vince also only completed 12 of 22 passes and 6 of those 12 went for 1st downs. Half of those 6 passes were Dunta and the only TD pass Vince threw was Dunta. Really Really Bad.

Again, its not poor little me. It's just called having a mature debate on a player. I'm not the only person you've done this to in the thread. When you have to act this way, it implies you have a self esteem problem. Why else would you add such brilliant statements to a simple debate?

Yes, you are whining and crying about "why are you being mean to me? :baby: don't be mean to me." I said you made a retarded comment and you threw a tantrum that has run over multiple pages. Grow up and stop acting like a two year old.

Let me make it simple for you because no one cares what your rankings are because they are made up in your head. Your main claim is that because of Dunta's playing time that the stats are skewed. Yet wouldn't more playing time net him more ints, more passes defensed, more knockdowns, etc, etc?Logically it would. Yet it doesn't translate that way. You can make the excuse that they weren't throwing his way but that isn't true either because being on their #1 guy he was getting beat and teams weren't afraid of him. I mean here is a guy that had approx 250 more snaps and yet has 54 tackles and 3 assts and Quin has 57 tackles and 9 assts. You can't just attribute that to teams running to Quin's side or him chasing guys from behind when there are 250 more snaps. You just admitted that Reeves had a better year and is ranked higher but according to PFF he had even less snaps than Quin...499 total. Quin had 762 and Dunta just above 1000. So you are basically making an argument to fit your need. I'm just looking at from a broad view from the outside. You can get defensive about it but there is a reason why the have their rankings and its not even close.

So your argument is that it's okay to give up 34% more yards per play in coverage, as long as you break up 2 more passes in the same number of times thrown at, while having the same number of interceptions?

And you're asking why I'm talking down to you? Seriously?

FYI Nnamdi Asomugha had 1 int, 2 PD and allowed a 75% completion %. Man that guy must suck. :rolleyes:

As for Reeves, I have him rated higher because the facts say he's better. It doesn't matter that he played fewer snaps because, unlike you, I account for playing time on a play by play basis. You just stare at the numbers cross eyed while drooling in your poop cup, because you have no idea how to adjust for simple differences in playing time. We're talking 2nd grade math here and it's flying over your head like a 747 at cruising altitude.

Yards per play in coverage
Reeves 0.82 <--- winner
D-Rob 0.88

Reception %
Reeves 7.5% <--- winner
D-Rob 8.6%

Thrown at %
Reeves 14.2
D-Rob 13.1 <--- winner

Yards per reception
Reeves 10.9
D-Rob 10.3 <--- winner

Yards per attempt
Reeves 5.7 <--- winner
D-Rob 6.7

Completion %
Reeves 52.9 <--- winner
D-Rob 65.4

Goodness who cares?

He's going to another team...he'll get a huge contract somewhere...he'll win some battles and he'll get beat sometimes.

Just like every other CB in the league.

This stat, that stat. Who cares anymore?

Bob is cheap. Dunta was our best corner and we lost him. Pitts was one of our best interior lineman and we lost him. Both were drafted early by the Texans.

So much for Bob's 'build through the draft' excuse for not spending money on quality free agents. We can't even retain our own.....

but boy, he will pay up the yin yang for 'players' like Carr, Weaver, and Greenwood. In other words, you have to suck mightily to get paid by Bob.

I am not saying Dunta is the cat's meow but to lose him and get nothing is just embarassing and indicative of the franchise's lack of commitment to winning....imho. I respect all of your opinions and I know a lot of you guys have an axe to grind regarding Dunta. I wasn't a fan of his act either with the whole shoe thing, but at the end of the day he was a good corner for us and now we are left without one of our starting corners. How does this make us better in 2010? It makes the Texans more profitable, but does it make us better? That is all I care about.

I wonder if we spend another 8 years without a playoff berth and Bob the Spendthrift continues his ways, will some of you sing the same tune? We are halfway there after all. If we continue with this draft a player and let him go method of business, we will be back at the bottom of the NFL in no time at all.

As the unquestioned best player on the team, I wonder what Andre thinks of this move? I doubt he is really happy about this move which was based purely on profit. You can't blame this on the salary cap because you can be over the cap and still franchise a player...oh and the fact that there is NO SALARY CAP IN 2010. This was a move purely for profit. Simple as that.

are some of you guys involved in profit sharing with the Texans? if not, then why would you not want us to spend whatever it takes to put the best team on the field. Salary cap has no meaning this year. I respect your opinion, but I just wonder why some of you guys think this makes us a better team because its easy to see this doesn't make us a better team and does NOTHING to help us regarding salary cap.

Have a great weekend everyone. I will check on this thread from my iphone but hate replying on that thing. i could do some five word comments like 'Bob u r teh suxxorz' or 'Dunta is 1337' and I bet that would make people a lot happier around here as opposed to my lengthy rants.

The kinder gentler SH.

P.S. If we do end up getting a 3rd Rounder as compensation, I will be less 'disgruntled'

During the previous regime, I'd agree. But, he even admitted he wasn't up to snuff on pro football when he brought the team here. He made the mistake of bringing Casserly and Capers here and considering he's a very good business man I'd assume he's learned.

surely you jest? or do you mean post David Carr extension based on Kubiak telling Bob he is fixable :snowday:

Back