Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

DeMeco Ryans traded to Philadelphia

I still think Mario is taking digs at Houston

Mario Williams ‏ @bbwolf90 Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
@DRyans59 do ya thang bro its a blessing in disguise! Crazy world

Mario Williams ‏ @bbwolf90

@cgustkey bc I told him its a blessing in disguise means hell b fine and succeed. Dang is the rain in houston making people miserable

Mario is getting a lot of hate on Twitter from people in Houston asking him why he didn't take a massive paycut to stay here. Pretty ridiculous

Disagree Kimmy!!! Mario tweeted plenty of good things about his time in H-Town.... I think his shot (and towards "do yo ya thing") is more a shot at at Rick Smith and had nothing to do with "taking digs at Houston"......

Straight-up.... read Marioi's twitter timeline.... he loved his time here and the Demeco timeline isn't really that surprising when you take it ALL in context......

We could go 6-10 next season................ NO ****!!!!

We go 6-10 following 9-7 seasons. I'm sure after a 10-6 we can at least pull out a 7-9.

This. A thousand times this.

I can accept it, I just wish it had been here a few years ago. That 2006 draft is fading fast now. Mario gone, Meco gone. Spencer gone right away, and Winston gone too. Owen Daniels is the last man standing from that draft.

Yep. Funny how everyone was saying our draft that year was comparable to the Steelers draft which churned out 3 or 4 HOF guys.

Our team last year was way better than any other years when those '06 guys was playing at the prime of their careers.

It's good that we got something for him rather than cut him next season and get nothing. DeMeco's time here was running out the second he injured his achilles.

I can accept it, I just wish it had been here a few years ago. That 2006 draft is fading fast now. Mario gone, Meco gone. Spencer gone right away, and Winston gone too. Owen Daniels is the last man standing from that draft.

Youth movement on the way, thankfully we got the right to coach the kids up. :kitten:

Youth movement on the way, thankfully we got the right to coach the kids up. :kitten:
Maybe they can get lucky and draft a great player at ILB for the 3-4 defense. The way Brooks Reed flourished as a rookie in Wade Phillips' system at OLB gives me some hope they may hit gold in the upcoming draft. That Boston College linebacker -- please tell me more about him? Where is he projected to go in the draft and will the Texans have to trade up for him? Sorry to bring up the draft but losing DeMeco Ryans hurts me a lot and I'm trying to find the positives in all of this.

Agreed but teams that have great drafts don't let the entire draft class get away in one off-season, especially after making the playoffs for the first time in franchise history and the excitement in the city for the Texans was at an all-time high. Adios to that amazing 2006 draft. We can now put Charley Casserly behind us once and for all. When I watch Owen Daniels play I'll just hang on to the one gem we were able to keep.

And are you going to ignore all the gems we've acquired since? Brown, Barwin, Watt, Reed, Foster, etc. They all say hi.

This is the way of the world in the NFL. You cannot keep everybody. If you think 2 guys are expendable then you dump them so you can keep a guy who isn't. It's a business.

Sure I'd love to keep all of our homegrown talent, but there's a salary cap and you have to make sacrifices. Everyone we've lost so far is replaceable.

Reactions: JB
And are you going to ignore all the gems we've acquired since? Brown, Barwin, Watt, Reed, Foster, etc. They all say hi.

This is the way of the world in the NFL. You cannot keep everybody. If you think 2 guys are expendable then you dump them so you can keep a guy who isn't. It's a business.

Sure I'd love to keep all of our homegrown talent, but there's a salary cap and you have to make sacrifices. Everyone we've lost so far is replaceable.
If the Texans keep drafting well then it's all a moot point. The team will still be good and make another playoff run. They'll be good for a long time since you're talking about younger players. Let's hope that continues. Like I said, I'll see how the draft plays out. I may feel better heading into training camp.

The trade makes sense, better get something before we cut him next year. But, i don't understand getting rid of winston this year. Why did we just cut winston and why didn't we trade him for maybe a 4th or 5th. Either that or we could have just kept him this year and cut him next year when we needed to make real space for other FA. Stupid GM, you don't need to cut all your players this year just to create cap for next year.

The trade makes sense, better get something before we cut him next year. But, i don't understand getting rid of winston this year. Why did we just cut winston and why didn't we trade him for maybe a 4th or 5th. Either that or we could have just kept him this year and cut him next year when we needed to make real space for other FA. Stupid GM, you don't need to cut all your players this year just to create cap for next year.

by trading him, you don't get the same reduction in cap as you would by cutting him.

we were pretty up against it cap wise

Jesu-christo...I come home to THIS!! Damn, but the bloodbath continues. If Rick Smith isn't a drafting, free-agent-signing machine, we are hosed this (and maybe next year).

Were they thinking the cap was going to be that much higher or what??

These are faces of the franchise were talking about here. I expected Mario gone, but it's like they're giving up and playing the "rebuilding year" card right after jacking up ticket prices.

It's getting harder and harder to put a good face on this off-season. Plus, I've got three obsolete jerseys te replace. *sigh*

If the Texans keep drafting well then it's all a moot point. The team will still be good and make another playoff run. They'll be good for a long time since you're talking about younger players. Let's hope that continues. Like I said, I'll see how the draft plays out. I may feel better heading into training camp.

It's not a moot point. The Texans were supposed to contend for the Super Bowl next year. With all of the holes they now have to fill, how many Super Bowl quality rookie or first time starters does the great Smithiak have to field next season? Or does "building through the draft" mean they get three years to improve on last year's team?

by trading him, you don't get the same reduction in cap as you would by cutting him.

we were pretty up against it cap wise

I don't understand why people keep saying this. The only distinction between a trade and a cut on the cap is if the cut is a June 1st cut. The total cap hit is the same although sometimes you can spread it over two years. Trading him eliminates that option.

For the record, I think this was stupid.

I don't understand why people keep saying this. The only distinction between a trade and a cut on the cap is if the cut is a June 1st cut. The total cap hit is the same although sometimes you can spread it over two years. Trading him eliminates that option.

Can they still designate Winston as a June 1st cut? If so, does that make the cut more understandable? I'd think it would, but I still wouldn't understand the timing.

Right. They are losing solid players at all of those positions, they don't have a number 2 receiver, and their #1 may not be healthy all year given his recent history.

Cutting Ryans gave them another position to fill and apparently cost the team cap money this year.

I guess they will rely on Jacoby to "get it" this year and be a stud receiver, since they have so many holes to fill now. Maybe Smith and Kubiak will finally "get it" next season too.

This is what people saying it's a good move don't get.

In the NFL there are injuries. Deep teams win championships. We've lost quality starters and are now going to expect rookies and backups to fill those roles?

The Texans should be drafting a WR in the first then working on the depth of the team. Lets not forget we have lost...

A pro-bowl LB
Starting Right side of the line
#2 CB
AND NOW Demeco.

We've just lost 5 starters folks. Yes I'm counting Allen as a starter since him and Kareem shared spots.

So now they either need to get working in FA and fill these holes including WR and hope that they draft more stud rookies.

Instead we could have taken project LBs and have them learn under Meco but now we are going to throw more guys into the fire and hope we hit big.

^ This.

The Winston thing looks even worse now. Rick was able to trade a broke down part-cyborg MLB for a 4th and change, but couldn't get anything for a RT that started 60 straight games. Seriously? I mean wtf? If you're willing to ship Ryans off for a 4th, you damn well better be capable of shipping off Winston for a pick. Even if it's just a 6th. I don't think we were that bad off that we had to cut him immediately at the time. Seems like a missed opportunity to get another 6th at the very least. He was a valuable asset and the market proved that.

As per the contracts, the reason the Eagles are willing to take the "risk" of Ryans' contract is that none of his salary is guaranteed on their side. The guarantees on his deal have already been paid out in salary and signing bonus. The cap hit the Texans have this year is the remainder of his signing bonus. The Eagles likely will be able to cut him before the beginning of any future season without penalty. So if he doesn't work out for them next year, they can drop him. Good risk/reward opportunity for them.

I'm sorry to see Demeco go and I will miss him, but honestly, Philadelphia is a better situation for him. He will be more effective in a 4-3 defense than a 3-4, and will prove his worth there. Even if he ends up being a pro-bowler next year, I won't be able to say that he would have done as well in our system. It's just a matter of matching strengths to system and unfortunately our new system doesn't suit him as well.

Good luck Demeco, I hope we see you in February! :goodluck:

Can they still designate Winston as a June 1st cut? If so, does that make the cut more understandable? I'd think it would, but I still wouldn't understand the timing.

Winston would have had to be designated a June 1st cut when the move was submitted to the NFL offices. That sort of thing isn't usually reported on, so we have no way of knowing if he was or not. In the grand scheme of things, the difference is negligible. The remaining cap hit from him was 1 million per year for 2 years. Unless we need that money in 2012 for signing someone, it won't hurt us at all. If that space is left over at the end of the season, we can roll it into 2013's cap.

This is what people saying it's a good move don't get.

In the NFL there are injuries. Deep teams win championships. We've lost quality starters and are now going to expect rookies and backups to fill those roles?

The Texans should be drafting a WR in the first then working on the depth of the team. Lets not forget we have lost...

A pro-bowl LB
Starting Right side of the line
#2 CB
AND NOW Demeco.

We've just lost 5 starters folks. Yes I'm counting Allen as a starter since him and Kareem shared spots.

So now they either need to get working in FA and fill these holes including WR and hope that they draft more stud rookies.

Instead we could have taken project LBs and have them learn under Meco but now we are going to throw more guys into the fire and hope we hit big.

Speaking of quality depth, they could also lose Tate and Dreesen.

=============

Each of these moves by itself, even two moves considered in tandem, might be defensible. Taken as a whole, the front office looks clueless this off-season.

It's not a moot point. The Texans were supposed to contend for the Super Bowl next year. With all of the holes they now have to fill, how many Super Bowl quality rookie or first time starters does the great Smithiak have to field next season? Or does "building through the draft" mean they get three years to improve on last year's team?

This is where I am at with my line of thinking at this point in time.

Though I still think we make the playoffs unfortunately my hopes at seeing this team contend for a Super Bowl next season have all but vanished.

Just way to much turnover at starting and leadership positions on this team at this point in time.

This is where I am at with my line of thinking at this point in time.

Though I still think we make the playoffs unfortunately my hopes at seeing this team contend for a Super Bowl next season have all but vanished.

Just way to much turnover at starting and leadership positions on this team at this point in time.

I can't reasonably disagree with you, however, I think it's too early to draw a conclusion.
Still a lot of time left before camp starts.

A lot of what has happened has made so little sense, that part of me thinks (hopes) that they have some kind of plan that will make things seem more logical. Maybe a free agent at a key position? Yes it it wishful thinking, I admit, but even a single free agent signing could help to straighten up this tailspin to a degree. Now, if they only had money to sign someone...

Related to my post above, I heard several comments on Sirius radio today about how slow the LB market has been in free agency. Signing one decent ILB might help to ease this trade. Providing that there's money for it.
Anyone know if there are any LBs out there that have played for Wade before?

I was not feeling good about the season, but now I'm pumped. I think the front office is going to be aggressive this off season.

^ This.

The Winston thing looks even worse now. Rick was able to trade a broke down part-cyborg MLB for a 4th and change, but couldn't get anything for a RT that started 60 straight games. Seriously? I mean wtf? If you're willing to ship Ryans off for a 4th, you damn well better be capable of shipping off Winston for a pick. Even if it's just a 6th. I don't think we were that bad off that we had to cut him immediately at the time. Seems like a missed opportunity to get another 6th at the very least. He was a valuable asset and the market proved that.

As per the contracts, the reason the Eagles are willing to take the "risk" of Ryans' contract is that none of his salary is guaranteed on their side. The guarantees on his deal have already been paid out in salary and signing bonus. The cap hit the Texans have this year is the remainder of his signing bonus. The Eagles likely will be able to cut him before the beginning of any future season without penalty. So if he doesn't work out for them next year, they can drop him. Good risk/reward opportunity for them.

I'm sorry to see Demeco go and I will miss him, but honestly, Philadelphia is a better situation for him. He will be more effective in a 4-3 defense than a 3-4, and will prove his worth there. Even if he ends up being a pro-bowler next year, I won't be able to say that he would have done as well in our system. It's just a matter of matching strengths to system and unfortunately our new system doesn't suit him as well.

Good luck Demeco, I hope we see you in February! :goodluck:

Texans would still have to eat a good amount of Winston's contract if they traded him, but they could have traded him for a 3/4th rounder. Maybe moving Ryans first would make that difference up with what they would owe Winston, but you never know.

From Jerome Solomon

Link:
http://blog.chron.com/jeromesolomon/2012/03/texans-trade-demeco-ryans-players-arent-happy/
Texans trade DeMeco Ryans; Players aren’t happy

This one stings.

Players liked Eric Winston. I even half-joked that releasing Matt Schaub would not have been a more popular move in the locker room than the release of Winston last week.

But trading DeMeco Ryans to the Philadelphia Eagles was a body blow to Texans players that will take some time to absorb.

Football-wise there is a significant drop-off from Ryans to Darryl Sharpton. Significant. Leadership-wise, Ryans’ contribution can’t be overstated. Brian Cushing may have been the team’s top defensive player, but he doesn’t bring to the defense what Ryans did. Not yet.

Here are a few text messages from current or former players:

“WTF!! You know what they are up to?”

“Damn, man, and they talk about loyalty.”

“Cold-blooded, man, cold-blooded. But Meco will be better off for it. He’s going to dominate in Philly.”

“They don’t what leadership means, do they? Bet they won’t finish No. 2 in defense next season.”

“It’s an ugly business. We’re not the same team without him. Gonna take a lot to replace Meco.”

Players went onto Twitter with public comments as well.

Owen Daniels: “Seriously? Meco too?”

Brian Cushing: “I wouldn’t be half the player or person I am today without @DRyans59 this one hurts. Philly got a unbelievable player and leader today. #59″

Glover Quin: “Honored to have had the chance to play with and learn from @DRyans59.. True leader and great person… Preciate you bro.”

Eric Winston (to Owen Daniels): “Watch you(r) back kid. @owendaniels you’re the last ’06 guy left.”

The Texans don’t typically release statements on players they cut or trade. Obviously this is one of the exceptions.

Texans general manager Rick Smith’s statement on Ryans:

“DeMeco Ryans contributed significantly toward helping us build the foundation we hope will bring a world championship to the city of Houston. His professionalism and leadership cannot be over-exaggerated. This move was mutually beneficial for the Texans immediate and long-term goals, DeMeco’s career, and the Philadelphia Eagles. We appreciate all the hard work and effort DeMeco invested in our organization and wish him only the best moving forward. He is a class act.”

These are faces of the franchise were talking about here. I expected Mario gone, but it's like they're giving up and playing the "rebuilding year" card right after jacking up ticket prices.

It's getting harder and harder to put a good face on this off-season. Plus, I've got three obsolete jerseys te replace. *sigh*
How dumb can you be?

Was last year a rebuilding year? Was our close loss in the AFC divisional game
with an inadequate QB part of the rebuilding year?

Maybe I missed the memo, but when did Mario, a 2 down LBer with mediocre on-field play, and a turnstile RT became the main factor of us having our best year ever?

Partially contribute? Yes. But they're not even in the top 15 individual players that was most valuable to our playoff run last season. Even less, if you includes coaches as well.

DeMeco will be better for the Eagles, than he would ever be for our defense under Wade.

He'll hopefully regain his pre-injury form, while we'd churn out yet another top 5 defense.

If for some reason our defense collapse, then it'd be for another reason than losing our defensive players this off-season. It's ****ing pathetic to even think that a top 5 defense wouldn't have another leader in their 11 man starting line-up.

We're seriously complaining about losing a 2 down LBer, who was being paid close to 12million just for his leadership? Seriously?

We don't deserve to win even 8 games if all we had was one defensive leader last year.

You don't just cut your locker room leader.

You don't.

Super disappointed in this move.

Kubiak has his work cut to get the players on side after all this crap.

^ This.

Winston "failed" our physical...but if you really listen to Winston it was a sham. We did it because we have cap problems. Apparently he passed KC's no problem, just like he said he would. Rick Smith's moves seem a bit disoriented so far this offseason. Its almost like we decided we have become "good enough" and now its time to get younger.

A source told FOXSports.com that Winston was cut under the “failed physical” designation by the Texans. Winston, though, told FOXSports.com that the billing stems from his having undergone arthroscopic ankle surgery in February.

In a text message, Winston said he will be medically cleared in two weeks. Winston also said he would be fully healed by now had he undergone the minor procedure in January.

At that time, Winston had no idea he wouldn’t be playing for the Texans in 2012. He had started every game for the past five seasons and was considered one of the league’s better right tackles. But with a $5.5 million base salary for 2012 and the Texans having salary-cap issues, Winston became expendable.
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Eric-Winston-Houston-Texans-waived-for-failed-physical-031312

What you're obviously not comprehending here is that most of us here are loyal fans of some of these players. You might be right, Ryans may no longer the player he was, he was too expensive, he's injury prone, and etc. But that doesn't mean we're all children because we're upset that one of the fan favorites and leaders of this team is now gone. This is what sports is about. The next time we cut/trade someone, I'll make sure to calculate the salary cap savings and rejoice at the savings and possible mid-round picks that are now expected to come in and take us to the Super Bowl. Now that's a joke.

Well, I've only read about half of this abomination of a thread, but this one is about the stupidest post I've read yet.

There is absolutely no place for loyalist sentimentality in a salary-cap NFL.

And GP is exactly right. Bunch of whiny, butt hurt children in here.

Where are these massive holes to fill? The only hole I see worth seriously worrying about is the hole left in depth at LB, which can be reasonably dealt with in the draft.
You guys need to quit with the :overreact: and :firehair: and start with the :firework: and :gotexans1.
With these moves, we got to re-sign our core FA's this season and get to re-sign our core FA's next season.

Depth at OL, LB, and CB.

I'm not holding my breath when it comes to re-signing FA's this year and in coming years. Not if we have the same capologists working under Rick Smith.

You should never, EVVVVVVVVER be forced to trade a team leader for nothing just to clear money.

Yep, it sucks Ryans got cut but we'll be alright. Ryans got traded and the FO will probably cut a player or two a year from now so the Texans will be able to sign players who they see as more important to the team's success.

Depth at OL, LB, and CB.

I'm not holding my breath when it comes to re-signing FA's this year and in coming years. Not if we have the same capologists working under Rick Smith.

You should never, EVVVVVVVVER be forced to trade a team leader for nothing just to clear money.
It's my opinion that these moves were made to enable the FO to keep next years crop of FA's. Hopefully, they work out extensions this offseason with Brown and Cushing and never let them even sniff the open market.

It's my opinion that these moves were made to enable the FO to keep next years crop of FA's. Hopefully, they work out extensions this offseason with Brown and Cushing and never let them even sniff the open market.

This is true, but still hurts to lose Ryans.

just out of curiousity, can anyone remember a ILB/MLB being traded in (fairly) recent history for more than what we got for meco? i honestly cant think of one right now

Where are these massive holes to fill? The only hole I see worth seriously worrying about is the hole left in depth at LB, which can be reasonably dealt with in the draft.
You guys need to quit with the :overreact: and :firehair: and start with the :firework: and :gotexans1.
With these moves, we got to re-sign our core FA's this season and get to re-sign our core FA's next season.

We've lost starters at several positions. "Next man up" is a valid strategy if the team strategy is to win through jingoism, but I don't think it is a good plan to think so many of this team's second stringers are good enough to take them to the super bowl.

As far as questioning some of the team's moves, I can't just convince myself every move is great just because the Texans made it. Many posters can; that difference leads to discussions rather than a bunch of rah rah threads.

I ran the numbers. About half of the GMs in the league are below average. I don't think the fact that he works for the Texans guarantees that Smith is a great GM.

The fact is they are cutting players because of the cap. That means they would probably keep some of them if they could. That leads me to the conclusion they are cutting players that are better than their replacements, i.e. the team is getting worse.

That article by Solomon makes me sick. All those players commenting.

They are absolutely, 100% damn right. UGH.

And yet none of them came to the team looking to reduce their pay to keep a player like Demeco around. They, and at the very least their agents, more than likely knew the cap situation, and if they didn't they knew it after Winston was cut. Solidarity is cool in all untill it threatens your paycheck, than it's so long and good luck.

The difference in reaction from a player leaving in free agency to one being traded is all the evidence any of us should need to see.

This is a business, from both sides perspective, and to treat it like anything else is silly from both sides. That's way loyalty from the fans should be to the team first and the players second.

Back