Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Davis Mills getting no respect

Cooks isn't a #1 receiver. Allen isn't a burner, and probably not a bona fide #1 receiver either. More like a 2A guy like Larry Fitzgerald or Anquan Boldin. Chargers also have Mike Williams, so basically two #2A WRs. Cooks is a #2a guy; not sure if Collins qualifies as a #3 on a playoff team. Texans have a below average receiving core overall - probably one of the worst in the NFL.

Personally, I was hoping Caserio would grab a WR with one of the 1st round picks this draft to give Mills a better chance. He didn't and Metchie got hurt so Mills was handicapped out of the gate.
Texans have several 2B or 3.

They have a lot of experience combined as opposed to the rest of the AFC South, and many other teams.

Is it because the QB and receivers are in a new offense? They had the entire offseason to install. Maybe that's not enough? Same players, without the same results from the end of 2021.

Does that predict a possible silver lining as the season goes along? Davis was really bad at the start of 2021 (as one would expect). Then, got much better at the end of the season. Became more confident in what he was doing and where his options were. Maybe that happens again in 2022? Right now, he's lost when blitzed. And when Mills is not blitzed, he hurries himself unnecessarily. Game experience and film study on what defenses are trying to do to the offense could be the recipe.

Just throwing out stuff. That poised rookie QB from 2021 is nowhere to be found in 2022.
I'm wondering if Lee big is right and Cooks would be best used in the slot, even though in his career he's been very productive outside.

So does Cook (getting open) and with more speed.

Besides, Keenan wasn't playing.

Who's in the AFC south qualifies as a no. 1 WR more than Cooks?
People just making excuses. As i said earlier, Cooks has been more productive than Keenan Allen whom I like. Cooks avg 14 yd per catch with Watson. The following year it was 11 with Mills and right now its at 10. Allen has had the arm talent of Herbert and last year he was at 9.9 and the year before 11. Cooks is a better wr than Allen in my opinion and he didn't even play and they still scored 34 pts with him throwing to Bandy and Everett. The guy pulling the trigger matters and when you have a qb who plays without a feel, it matters. Its no accident Adams looks different now than when he played with Rodgers. In fact none of those ex Packers wrs looked the same after leaving Rodgers. The triggerman matters in the nfl.

asking for a true #1 WR or option period is asking for too much lol…but asking for a 3rd round qb….learning a new, questionable offensive system……..who is just now making his 16th-17th start between college and the pros ……..to elevate a bunch of Jags isnt :mcnugget:?

Keenan’s not fast, but he knows how to get open….which makes him a true #1.
Mitch Trubisky had 13 start in colleges.

He was the same age at the time he was drafted comparatively.

He came into a Bears team that won 5, 6, and 3 games the three years prior.

In his second year, he threw for 24TDs vs 12 Ints; the Bears went 12-4.

Their fans were quite divided. Some didn't cut him any slack; others asked to give him more time.
You know how that turned out.

A JAG is a JAG

People just making excuses. As i said earlier, Cooks has been more productive than Keenan Allen whom I like. Cooks avg 14 yd per catch with Watson. The following year it was 11 with Mills and right now its at 10. Allen has had the arm talent of Herbert and last year he was at 9.9 and the year before 11. Cooks is a better wr than Allen in my opinion and he didn't even play and they still scored 34 pts with him throwing to Bandy and Everett. The guy pulling the trigger matters and when you have a qb who plays without a feel, it matters. Its no accident Adams looks different now than when he played with Rodgers. In fact none of those ex Packers wrs looked the same after leaving Rodgers. The triggerman matters in the nfl.
Bandy is better than any slot currently on the Texans. Allen and Cooks play different positions. Although I think you may be right and Cooks might operate out of the slot better than outside. Allen is an elite slot that struggles to stay healthy.

I'm wondering if Lee big is right and Cooks would be best used in the slot, even though in his career he's been very productive outside.
He can play both, but at this stage with his smarts, route running, and speed, he should be the chess piece/move player. That's not a downgrade because Kupp basically plays the slot or move player. Very rarely do you see Kupp just line up outside and run routes. He's stacked alot, hidding behind wrs and is never pressed because he's off the los. That's why I wanted them to take Pickens or Pierce and to go along with Collins. I mean if Fitzgerald can play the slot ,I'm certain Cooks can do it. Plus its an easier read for the qb. He doesn't have to just run those option routes, he can get vertical and run those over routes off leverage. JMO

Keenan was a guy that I liked during the draft process.

He doesn't have speed, but he can run routes/getting open.
I said if his injury checked out, I would have liked him in the mid second round. He ended up getting drafted at the 76 slot, which I think was great value.

Cooks is much faster and quicker.

They're different types of receivers; neither is complete, but both are low end no. 1 receiver.

And like we all know, Keenan didn't even play so the Chargers were playing with no. 2 and lesser receivers.
Just b/c he’s the Tallest midget of all midgets doesnt mean hes not a midget. All you’ve proven is that the AFC South is trash in the WR dept.
Trash in the QB department, too.

And Mills is at the bottom of the trash heap, sadly to say.

Yes, 1st year he is even draft eligible is 2026. And honestly to build and then insert (what should be a generational talent) like Manning...it sounds awesome
If you wait until 2026 to get your qb, your team will be too old and all the young talent you got this year gone or on expensive deals

Only true WR1 talent in the AFC South with A.J. Brown traded from the Titans is probably Michael Pittman, and he hasn't quite proven that yet. AFC South pretty devoid of top WR talent overall.
Yeah and Pittman missed game 2.
Who knows if he's totally healthy.

I have no way of disproving as you have no way of proving it. All I'm saying is I highly doubt Pep told him where to go with the ball. Pep calls the plays and from reading the defense, its a layered concept even for a young qb. That's why when developing young qb's they read low to high or high to low on the same side of the field. The te was off to his right, same side as the rub route outside. Even if the tight end was his 1st read, Cooks was his 2nd, then back over to his check down. Lets say I agree with the te was 1 and then he was to come to the other side, Burkhead ran a teaser route for that over route right behind the lb in the huge hole. That's simple qb read my friend.

None of us know the order of his reads…furthermore his read on the left was the correct read. No such thing as a teaser route with this route concept. Its a high lo concept.. Whichever way your read goes you as the qb go to the opposite route. Your read drops and covers the longer route, you dump it short…..if he jumps the short underneath route, you take the deeper route. Easy. So when Mills looks backside, Smith is sitting back in zone. The screenshot i took of this play in the other thread effectively shows Smith sitting flat-footed in his drop when Mills is looking straight ahead waiting for Nico. Burkhead underneath is wide open.

Once Mills looks at Burkhead is when Smith breaks. Dont let the fact that Smith made the play fool you into believing that it wasnt the right read. The only reason Smith is able to make the play he did is b/c the ball is tipped..i.e. the ball is slowed.

Keenan was a guy that I liked during the draft process.

He doesn't have speed, but he can run routes/getting open.
I said if his injury checked out, I would have liked him in the mid second round. He ended up getting drafted at the 76 slot, which I think was great value.

Cooks is much faster and quicker.

They're different types of receivers; neither is complete, but both are low end no. 1 receiver.

And like we all know, Keenan didn't even play so the Chargers were playing with no. 2 and lesser receivers.
Trash in the QB department, too.

And Mills is at the bottom of the trash heap, sadly to say.

maybe so, but the fact remains we have no true go-to guy on the outside and with a young qb, thats a recipe for disaster no matter how you wanna look at it.

maybe so, but the fact remains we have no true go-to guy on the outside and with a young qb, thats a recipe for disaster no matter how you wanna look at it.
None of the AFC South guy has a true go-to guy.

How about Lawrence?
Who does he have as the no. 1 guy that's better than Cooks?

Mitch Trubisky had 13 start in colleges.

He was the same age at the time he was drafted comparatively.

He came into a Bears team that won 5, 6, and 3 games the three years prior.

In his second year, he threw for 24TDs vs 12 Ints; the Bears went 12-4.

Their fans were quite divided. Some didn't cut him any slack; others asked to give him more time.
You know how that turned out.

A JAG is a JAG

You cited 1 guy who was overdrafted and bever should’ve gone where he did. Furthermore, fans didnt cut him any slack b/c those Bears teams were carried by their defense and everyone knew it. Stats lie & His stats were meaningless simply b/c he wasn’t making plays in the passing game at all…& fans saw it.

Reactions: JB
None of the AFC South guy has a true go-to guy.

How about Lawrence?
Who does he have as the no. 1 guy that's better than Cooks?

And none of them have shown much of anything either…but

Tanny has years of starting experience under his belt, has been in the same offense for 4 years and has a bull in the backfield he can lean on..everyone knows the Titans offense goes through Henry.

Matt Ryan almost literally the exact same set up except he has a defense to go along with it. Former MVP, has seen it all.

Lawrence, just beginning to scratch the surface of what he can be..but lots of young talent around him on offense and defense…a seasoned veteran playcaller handling him and 2 pretty good RB’s as well.

what does Mills have that he can lean on? Their situations aren’t comparable AT ALL to what Mills is having to try to grow under.

You cited 1 guy who was overdrafted and bever should’ve gone where he did. Furthermore, fans didnt cut him any slack b/c those Bears teams were carried by their defense and everyone knew it. Stats lie & His stats were meaningless simply b/c he wasn’t making plays in the passing game at all…& fans saw it.
Exactly.
A JAG is a JAG.

Why does it matter where a guy is drafted in his second year.

Especially when them two are really close in age and college experience.

Trubisky had better number in both year one and year two.

What did Mills ever did to justify the support?

And none of them have shown much of anything either…but

Tanny has years of starting experience under his belt, has been in the same offense for 4 years and has a bull in the backfield he can lean on..everyone knows the Titans offense goes through Henry.

Matt Ryan almost literally the exact same set up except he has a defense to go along with it. Former MVP, has seen it all.

Lawrence, just beginning to scratch the surface of what he can be..but lots of young talent around him on offense and defense…a seasoned veteran playcaller handling him and 2 pretty good RB’s as well.

what does Mills have that he can lean on? Their situations aren’t comparable AT ALL to what Mills is having to try to grow under.
Everybody expected the Jags and the Texans to be neck and neck at the bottom.

Heck, many Texans fans even expect the Texans to sweep the Jags.

Some even think Lawrence is trash.

Besides the RBs, the Texans have better players at the skill positions.

Some Texans fans even expect Mills to explode.

Exactly.
A JAG is a JAG.

Why does it matter where a guy is drafted in his second year.

Especially when them two are really close in age and college experience.

Trubisky had better number in both year one and year two.

What did Mills ever did to justify the support?

it matters b/c you expect more from them. In Trubisky’s case he was a top 3 pick.

is not so much about justifying support from him so much as it is, the circumstances you guys are expecting this dude to grow under.

Just Citing him being a 2nd year player underplays the circumstances. I’d be 1 thing if we had a team full of talent and he was playing like this in his 2nd year…but we don’t. Id be 1 thing if he was a top 5 pick…but he wasnt. It’d be 1 thing if he was showing serious regression..but hes not. His biggest issue is that he just hasnt been consistent….but given his circumstances, is it not somewhat expected?

there’s still time. The Texans have more name cache at the skill positions..doesn’t mean they’re better players. Outside of Cooks, who of the Texans skill players are better than what the Jags have?

Kirk is better than Nico..
Etienne is better than Burkhead as a back up RB

Robinson is better than Pierce although the kid has shown great promise

Evan Engram is at the very least as good as Akins, Howard.

it matters b/c you expect more from them. In Trubisky’s case he was a top 3 pick.

is not so much about justifying support from him so much as it is, the circumstances you guys are expecting this dude to grow under.

Just Citing him being a 2nd year player underplays the circumstances. I’d be 1 thing if we had a team full of talent and he was playing like this in his 2nd year…but we don’t. Id be 1 thing if he was a top 5 pick…but he wasnt. It’d be 1 thing if he was showing serious regression..but hes not. His biggest issue is that he just hasnt been consistent….but given his circumstances, is it not somewhat expected?
Why does the draft position matters when both are the same age and have roughly the same college experience?

I could say that Mills had had more chance to practice with the ones in college than Trubisky did.

Trubisky came into a shitty team that had won 5, 6, and 3 games the three years prior.
That was worse than Mills had.

there’s still time. The Texans have more name cache at the skill positions..doesn’t mean they’re better players. Outside of Cooks, who of the Texans skill players are better than what the Jags have?

Kirk is better than Nico..
Etienne is better than Burkhead as a back up RB

Robinson is better than Pierce although the kid has shown great promise

Evan Engram is at the very least as good as Akins, Howard.
The whole set of skill positions is arguably a wash.
The Texans ST has been out playing the opposition.

If the Colts kicker hadn't spanked two KO out of bound and miss a very-makeable FG by his standard (by an NFL average standard), the Texans would be looking at 0-4.

Heck; they wouldn't have been able to take the game into OT.

Mills is one of the weak links.

The whole set of skill positions is arguably a wash.
The Texans ST has been out playing the opposition.

If the Colts kicker hadn't spanked two KO out of bound and miss a very-makeable FG by his standard (by an NFL average standard), the Texans would be looking at 0-4.

Heck; they wouldn't have been able to take the game into OT.

Mills is one of the weak links.

lol you’re just going from 1 thing to another..trying to prove a point. Outside of the qbs Whose supportive talent and coaching would you rather have now, the jags or the texans..

really no contest. The Jags talent is better.

Why does the draft position matters when both are the same age and have roughly the same college experience?

I could say that Mills had had more chance to practice with the ones in college than Trubisky did.

Trubisky came into a shitty team that had won 5, 6, and 3 games the three years prior.
That was worse than Mills had.

When Mills took over officially the talent from the 2-3 years prior was long gone…hell thats part of the reason the previous star qb wanted out lol.

lol you’re just going from 1 thing to another..trying to prove a point. Outside of the qbs Whose supportive talent and coaching would you rather have now, the jags or the texans..

The Jags fixed their skill position issues in one off-season. Lawrence with Pedersons help is looking like a top 15 guy. I'm wondering what Mills would look like with upgraded weapons?

I agree, a QB does not have to have a huge arm to be successful. And I said so. I was just disagreeing with the notion that Mills actually has that type of arm.

Oops, missed that!

Last edited:
Everyone went back to the int by Smith. That play, watching the all-22 is all you need to know about Mills and his feel for the game. The perfect play call and instead of hitting Collins in the hole, he tried to throw it to Burkhead. You remember when Kubiak came in to save David Carr? WCO scheming guys open for easy reads and getting rid of the ball. It quickly turned into this guy just getting rid of the ball and doesn't have a natural feel for the game. Remember, this is also the guys who had Luck who had a feel for plays albeit a little reckless. If you go back and watch his Stanford games, he looks the exact same. The coach calls the plays, but as the triggerman, you have to take the best matchup, down and distance. Its like alex Smith who was captain checkdown in San Fran and later in KC.

Here’s the thing, he wasn’t checking down anywhere near as much last year. What’s changed?

I think many have assumed, myself included, that he would automatically be comfortable running this offense because it’s similar to what he ran at Stanford. However, he only played 14 games in college. That slightly over a full season. He may not know this offense like the back of his hand yet. Maybe that’s why he goes to the check down so often or maybe he’s being coached to do that. Something has changed from the end of last season

It probably seems like defending Mills or making excuses but I’m not. I’m just trying to figure out what’s going on with him. He’s clearly regressed from his solid play at the end of last season. I was expecting growth this year but we aren’t seeing it. This is what is making me question Pep’s abilities as an OC. I’m seeing questionable play calls (some of the 3 and short play calls have bad to very bad) and questionable player usage (Burkhead). I’ve seen our young QB play worse under his play calling than under Tim Kelly.

You watch teams like GB, SF, KC and I see very creative play designs and I’d like to see that here. There’s a great article from Brooks Kubena in the chron today illustrating how the Chargers used pre snap motion to create big plays for the Chargers against us. I want to see similar things from us

I heard somebody said that NC was doing a good job.

Didn't you and Steelb promise that the Texans were on the right track?

Didn't you guys tell me that the Texans were going to be better?

Now, all of a sudden, you're telling me that there's no contest between the talent level of the two teams.

I'm so confused.

And the Texans had more ammo going into this season, too .
What with the additional picks they were getting.

Here’s the thing, he wasn’t checking down anywhere near as much last year. What’s changed?

I think many have assumed, myself included, that he would automatically be comfortable running this offense because it’s similar to what he ran at Stanford. However, he only played 14 games in college. That slightly over a full season. He may not know this offense like the back of his hand yet. Maybe that’s why he goes to the check down so often or maybe he’s being coached to do that. Something has changed from the end of last season

It probably seems like defending Mills or making excuses but I’m not. I’m just trying to figure out what’s going on with him. He’s clearly regressed from his solid play at the end of last season. I was expecting growth this year but we aren’t seeing it. This is what is making me question Pep’s abilities as an OC. I’m seeing questionable play calls (some of the 3 and short play calls have bad to very bad) and questionable player usage (Burkhead). I’ve seen our young QB play worse under his play calling than under Tim Kelly.

You watch teams like GB, SF, KC and I see very creative play designs and I’d like to see that here. There’s a great article from Brooks Kubena in the chron today illustrating how the Chargers used pre snap motion to create big plays for the Chargers against us. I want to see similar things from us
Agreed, the lack of pre-snap motion irks me to all hell with Pep. Texans has the lowest motion rate in the entire NFL. It matter because our WR core is not great at creating separation off the LOS on their own. Why not get Moore or Cooks in motion to get them moving to avoid the static start or getting jammed off the line?? I would also like to see occasional jet sweeps which are actually effective short yardage plays or game breaking plays, like St. Brown showed in the Bears game on the 41-yard run.... Offense is much to static and uncreative. 3rd and shorts have been worse than bad - absolutely brutal play calling by Pep Hamilton.

I'm disappointed in Pep and our offensive scheme myself. Mills under a Peterson-style offense would be much more productive IMO. I believe this is a primary reason why Lawrence looks much better this year.

You were telling us how the Jags were overpaying them.

Now, you're trying to tell us that Nick Caserio sucks?
Come on guys, let's all get along. One reason we lack talent is we have over $60m in dead money, part cleaning up BOB contracts, DW4 trade, and some NC mistakes. This costs us 5-7 really solid FA starters. NC seems to draft reasonably well. 2022 he is developing young players and finding out what he has in his QB so the next couple of drafts can be planned out. I am just watching for fun this year with little expectation. I will be on Nick's butt next year though if he does not use his $$ and draft capital on making huge strides on fixing the LB's, TE, DL, RB room, and upgrading a WR (hope Metchie comes back as well). So next year is my expectation year. Start Mills, we have been competitive, see what you got, and develop the new young uns. I also want to see if the OL gels with time. You got three 1st's out there, but new guys/coach/scheme. Add OL to my list if they don't gel. Sundays are an excuse to see my kids, drink beer, and eat now, if Texans grace us with a good game, so be it

The Jags should have copious amounts of raw talent after drafting so high for so many years, but now they've got a SB-winning HC
who's apparently putting it all together.

Texans have several 2B or 3.

They have a lot of experience combined as opposed to the rest of the AFC South, and many other teams.
I dunno where does our young 'Bama receiver we drafted in the second-round this year fit into your ranking/ratings ?

This got me thinking about last year and one big difference we all seem to have over looked is that last year, Mills had someone that knew the offense to watch and to learn from. His first few games he struggled mightily as most expected the 3rd round qb to do. After watching Taylor run the offense successfully for a few games and being able to watch the whole field from the bench, he came in and did a pretty good job and gave everyone hope. This year he has no one to learn from and no watching in a relaxed mood from the bench. Plus he has tons more pressure from Lovie and Pep this year to go along with not knowing everything all that well.

I heard somebody said that NC was doing a good job.

Didn't you and Steelb promise that the Texans were on the right track?

Didn't you guys tell me that the Texans were going to be better?

Now, all of a sudden, you're telling me that there's no contest between the talent level of the two teams.

I'm so confused.

And the Texans had more ammo going into this season, too .
What with the additional picks they were getting.
You seem to be ignoring the fact that Jacksonville had top 10 draft picks for 10 straight years 2008- 2017. Then after 1 good year (2018), they've had top 10 picks the last 4 years with 2 first round picks in each of the last 3 years. They've also had tons of cap space whereas OB put the Texans in cap hell almost from the beginning of his reign of terror.

That writer is FOS when he says that pass to Collins would have been a TD if it was Schaub throwing it. Schaub would have made AJ (or Collins) come back for the ball
Total bullshit, actually. If you watch the tape, Mills threw that ball with pressure right in his grill. It was a good throw actually... The nitpiking from critics really bothers me. The Mills detractors don't give him ANY credit for any good throw or play he makes. Just all negative spin... 4 terrible games blah blah. I'm a Mills supporter (for now) but I can acknowledge the many deficiencies while also seeing the positives. The detractors are a one way street... Confirmation bias.

Here's the play. But to the detractors, it was a bad pass SMH (9:31)

Total bullshit, actually. If you watch the tape, Mills threw that ball with pressure right in his grill. It was a good throw actually... The nitpiking from critics really bothers me. The Mills detractors don't give him ANY credit for any good throw or play he makes. Just all negative spin... 4 terrible games blah blah. I'm a Mills supporter (for now) but I can acknowledge the many deficiencies while also seeing the positives. The detractors are a one way street... Confirmation bias.

Here's the play. But to the detractors, it was a bad pass SMH (9:31)

Pass was right on the money actually...have no clue what the writer was talking about.

What i'm coming to the conclusion of is that Mills is a downfield passer..he likes to push it downfield..If you just look at these 4 games and even his games last year, He has looked his best when he is ripping it downfield. Problem is Lovie wants more of a ball control, run to set up the pass....conservative type of offense that runs clock & keeps TOP in his favor...which lends itself to short passing. The other thing that sort of hampers that downfield passing is pass pro has been spotty at times.

I don't think the writeups match the stills in the tweets above. But one thing I've noticed is Mills seems too flat footed in the pocket, and too spread out with his legs. That inhibits movement in the pocket. Maybe he thinks it will allow him to get the ball out quicker. But if he needs to change his direction of his throw or escape the pocket, that's going to hurt him.

What i'm coming to the conclusion of is that Mills is a downfield passer..he likes to push it downfield..If you just look at these 4 games and even his games last year, He has looked his best when he is ripping it downfield. Problem is Lovie wants more of a ball control, run to set up the pass....conservative type of offense that runs clock & keeps TOP in his favor...which lends itself to short passing. The other thing that sort of hampers that downfield passing is pass pro has been spotty at times.
I agree with your conclusions but I would also add that Mills has absolutely zero Moxey or Mojo to make a play when things break down. This is even evident in his press conferences and interviews where he is, frankly, boring. He is a guy who plays within the system and design of the play but doesn't make playground football off script type plays.
I was watching the Chiefs vs Bucs game in week 4 and saw Mahomes make at least 3 such plays, where you just go wow, that all resulted in a TD or first down. I doubt that Mills has made 3 such plays in his career. I don't expect Mills to be Mahomes, but I do expect him to make plays when the game is on the line - that's what good QB's do.
Show me some Fire, Davis!

Back